Home
Is there an action which has these features?

-Short action ( ie fo 308 Win) with integral recoil lug
-control feed / aka "Mauser 98" claw extractor
-no thumb cut in rail ( ie "commercial" Mauser 98 style, not military surplus)
-one-piece bolt handle / bolt body ( not brazed/welded)
-forged action ( not investment cast).
-steel bottom metal

amended 8/29/21 : Forged or MACHINED action ( not investment cast)

Edumicate me. Must have all features.
Brno ZKK 601?
What is your price range?

Granite Mountain makes an action that fits what you describe. I believe their actions start around $3K depending on configuration.
Defiance makes the rebel action with CRF, blade ejector, Integral lug, 3 Position winchester 70 type safety, and comes in short and XM sizes. Bolt is one piece, bottom of the action is round like a Remington if that matters...
You can have a Zastava or FN chopped and welded. Used to be a thing back when labor was cheaper. Saw a very nice .22/250 made up like that decades ago.

This is close: CRF, one-piece bolt. Machined, not forged and no integral lug.

https://www.legendaryactionworks.com/LAW-M704-ACTION-s/128.htm
Originally Posted by rgrx1276
Defiance makes the rebel action with CRF, blade ejector, Integral lug, 3 Position winchester 70 type safety, and comes in short and XM sizes. Bolt is one piece, bottom of the action is round like a Remington if that matters...

That’s exactly what I just got but in a Long Action. Haven’t put eyes on it yet but it should make a helluva build.

You can also probably buy one of Echols actions as well by now.

The Echols XM action is being made in two lengths neither of which is appropriate for a .308.

Most modern actions are machined from steel billets not forgings.

Likewise the GMA’s are not made from forgings but from large hunks of steel.
Originally Posted by RinB

...Most modern actions are machined from steel billets not forgings...

Fair enough, and important comment.

Let's include FORGED or MACHINED action to the criteria. Amended the original post's criteria to include "forged or machined" action.

Thank you.

Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by rgrx1276

That’s exactly what I just got but in a Long Action. Haven’t put eyes on it yet but it should make a helluva build.

You can also probably buy one of Echols actions as well by now.

Looking at buying one myself.
https://granitemountainarms.com/downloads/gma_brochure.pdf
Zastava made "intermediate length" actions for some commercial Mausers. Not a true short action, but there isn't much practical difference.

I'm not certain this is one, but it looks like it to me

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/907129392
What is the money looking like for the Echols action?
Check out the Mausingfield from American Rifle Company. Ted is a brilliant engineer and designer.

https://www.americanrifle.com/shop/product/mausingfield-bolt-action-2

I am reasonably certain each Echols action will be at least $3000 and 4000 wouldn’t be too surprising. That does include mounts and bottom metal. They are cartridge specific. The first batch are probably going to be used for complete Legend rifles. One never knows if more will be made. Design and production and getting to market a complete action is a really big challenge.

Of course I could be wrong.
I have seen a few posts about them before. Does someone know of an in-depth description of the action somewhere?

Look at Echols blog and on AR under custom rifles.
Thanks. The thread on AR was very informative.
Have you looked into FZH actions and also Mayfair Engineering?
Stuart Satterlee at Satterlee Arms in ND. Machines Mauser 98 actions from scratch. Steel or titanium. Stuart will build to your specs. Real quality.
Did someone say Kimber 84M....
Heym made some commercial Mauser actions that were intermediate length actions. They were imported and sold under the Westernfield name. They have very nice bottom metal with a lever release. They're not common but I have one in 284 Win.
Originally Posted by LFC
Did someone say Kimber 84M....

"Defective" wasn't on the criteria list was it? 😇😂
Nothing "defective" about a Kimber rifle.
© 24hourcampfire