Home
Okay, here's my dilema. I am looking to get a new gun for mostly big game. I currently have a 375 H&H. I would like to have just two guns to which I can become familiar with to use for all of my big game hunting. Obviously, the H&H takes care of the dangerous game and the big bears. What about the smaller stuff? I live in Ohio so I use a muzzleloader/slug gun for deer. I would like to use the smaller gun for predators in the off season just for the hell of it. I already own a 22-250. My thought right now is to get either a 270 win. or a 30/06. I want a round to which ammo could be gotten anywhere and a caliber which is comfortable to shoot. It must be able to be shot from any position without fear of scope cuts. Game to be shot would include black bear, hogs, deer, pronghorn, caribou, moose, and elk. I would probably use the h&h for moose and elk, but would like to be able to use the other one for it if I had to. One caliber I do like is the 35 whelen but, I am not sure if I am crowding the 375. Plus, pronghorn would be a little overkill. My gun will be a bolt action either CZ or Remington. What do you all think?
From varmints to black bear and elk?

7WSM
Since you want to buy ammo anywhere, it's simple.

heads 270. tails 30-06.

25-06.
Th real choice is the 30/06....but I'd take a 270.
sorry, was writing fast. maybe I should clarify. I am not proposing this rifle would be a varmint gun, nor am I looking for a varmint caliber. Sometimes I take a big gun out just for the heck of it. What I need is a caliber that can handle the cxp3 animals in a pinch but not be too out of place on deer sized animals. Make sense? If not ask again and i'll try to explain further.
25-06, 6.5-06, 280ai

The 25-06 would handle everything up to elk if need be, + its real pleasant shooting.

The 6.5-06 or 270 focusing more on the big game side.

The 280 or ackley version shooting 120 BTs or TSX for game and 120 vmax for varmints/practice.
Ohio-you asked about 2 guns and you've got one sorted out already.

For the second gun (and it sounds like you like Rem and CZ) I would no doubt go with a 700 Mtn rifle. And I would go with a .270.

Good luck in your decision.

Mark D
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
I would no doubt go with a 700 Mtn rifle. And I would go with a .270.

+1. If you don't do a lot of walking, a XCR would be my pick though...
thanks mark, yea i know for sure I want the 375 just trying to figure out the other one. like the idea of a mountain lss. as for cz or rem, those seem to be the best choices out there right now imho, with cz being the best. my only complaint with cz is the rifle is a tad heavy. other bad thing is that it throws the 9.3x62 in the ring which is another favorit of mine. again, i think this might be getting a little close to the 375.
You need/want a rifle...you have a 375H&H and a 22-250...so you need a rifle for everything in the middle...with cheap (MY KIND!) readily available ammo - in any gas station or grocery store in hunting country - that will do deer to black bear...IMO there are only three options...270 if black bear and elk are not common every year event...or a 308...or the great average do all 30'06. Since I have had a 40 year love affair with a 270 that would be my choice...but there are no flys on the other two.
If elk are an every year thing then I would move up to one of the Whizzums or 30 mags...I also have paired a 270 and a 300WMg for the last 25 years as my answer to this same kind of question. Lots of other fun options but none that meet ALL the criteria set out above.
Ron
.30-06
.375 H&H
----------
If you had a .338WM, then:
.338WM
Options:
30-06

Any one will do ya.

Don
Originally Posted by ohiohunter
I want a round to which ammo could be gotten anywhere and a caliber which is comfortable to shoot.

You defined the 30-06 in your original post. I also assume from your post that you don't reload. As I'm sure you know, more factory fodder in the 30-06 than any of the others suggested. If you currently own a 22-250 and a 375 H&H, the 30-06 will boringly do everything in between.
6.5x55...plenty of gun to fill the hole
Better take plenty of ammo with you if you hit the road. I do own one myself, but it's a trip to find ammo.
You have a .375H&H.

The '06 is the mostest classic pairing with the .375, for a whole lot of reasons. That'd be my default choice on those two.
How soon we for get what Stick taught us........7mm-08

7mm Rem. Mag. or 30-06
308/30-06, six of each/ half dozen of the other
If the 375 is going to be your primary elk/moose/big-bear rifle, then the 30-06 looks good for handling deer/antelope/black-bear/caribou as primary and elk/moose as secondary. With the old soldier, you've got maximum options for factory ammo and handloads. .22-250 plus .30-06 plus .375 covers the world, pretty much.
Add one more rifle to your collection, the .30-06.
Shoot the Elk with the .375, and get either a .257 Roberts, or a 7X57 for the smaller stuff. If varmint is important, go with the Roberts.
Kimber Montana or the Remington 700 Titanium in a 7mm-08 or .308!

If you chose the Ti you would have a seemingly endless amount of great custom options later on.

If I were to ever purchase a CZ it would be in the 375H&H, but you already have that. Remington sounds like your huckleberry for this next rifle choice and the Ti is a nice one. 7mm-08.

As a side note: Everyone who loves rifles should have one in 257 Roberts grin.
I agree with Mtngun.

its a question how you like your 375.

if you like carring the 375 and would use it for elk/Moose then you can go a little smaller on the little guy. Maybe 6.5x55, 7mm-08, 25.06 up to the 270. the advantage here is a smaller lighter gun. Lower recoil and more general fun to shoot. The more you shoot the better you will be with it.

If the 375 is too much to carry for elk or moose( either in weight or recoil) then a bigger little guy would be better. In that case id start with 280 and go up from there. maybe 280,30.06, or any of the Comman WSMs 270,7mm or even 300WSM.

Me, I would split the difference between my two answers and get a 308 in something compact and accurate. M7 or T3 lite.
Does anyone find it curious as how easy it is to talk more about the caliber than the rifle.

I used to always think in those terms, but now view it as the rifle, the fit the feel and our level of intimacy with it. A good bullet, good placement and within reason the cal is irrevelant.

Just a thunk.

Mark D
The caliber game is mostly a farce, but at least it's good for business! crazy

Mark, I agree that the rifle itself often gets treated as an afterthought, but it is much more important than the cartridge itself............

AD
I would second a 30-06 or 270 in Remington 700 Mountain LSS.
Allen-that is for sure

I've a couple of guns that have seen multiple tubes on em, and multiple cals, and for the most part I been able to detect little if any diff in how they take game. A good bullet directed in an inteligent manner and the game is over.

Life (and hunting) aint rocket science we just all too often choose to make it such. I've been guilty of it all too many times but I am learning.

Mark D
25-06
308 or 280 in a Remington Mountain rifle is a great setup.
Meaning no disrespect, I understand your point, but would also point out the original post indicated he needed ammo readily available. Best of luck finding 7x57 or 6.5x55 or even .280 at the local store. No debate the rifle is very important, but you obviously got to feed it!
Get a 30-06 in the same action as your 375. Try for the same balance not the same weight. The more they feel the same, the better you will shoot them in the field. A scoped 30-06 rifle weighing 7 to 7 1/2 lbs with a good stock and pad should work great. If it has the same trigger as your 375, practice with the 06 will help you shoot the 375 better.
Based on your criteria, I believe you narrowed it down to the 2 correct choices and you won't go wrong with either. The .30-06 probably has a slight advantage on the heaviest game, while the .270 has a bit more range and edge as an off season predator gun. However, since you already have the heavies covered with the .375 and would be using the new gun as back-up, I would choose the .270 and it's slightly flatter trajectory.

-Lou
I almost hate to say -------------------270
Originally Posted by Turk1961
Get a 30-06 in the same action as your 375. Try for the same balance not the same weight. The more they feel the same, the better you will shoot them in the field. A scoped 30-06 rifle weighing 7 to 7 1/2 lbs with a good stock and pad should work great. If it has the same trigger as your 375, practice with the 06 will help you shoot the 375 better.

A very sensible post.

AGW
30-06 or 270. then you'll never need to buy another rifle as long as you live (perish the thought!!!!!!!!)
I think the 270 wins the contest in the light rifle category. No surprise! Did anybody keep count? Or did I just see what I WANTED to see?
I think the 270 wins the contest in the light rifle category. No surprise! Did anybody keep count? Or did I just see what I WANTED to see?
Another vote for the 270Win, with the 30-06 a very close second...
Easy. Buy two Sauer 202, one in standard edition, one in magnum. Then you can buy an extra barrel to each gun, and then you got two guns with the possibility for different calibers. You change the barrels yourself in 2 minutes, so you don`t have to go to the gunsmith each time.
Originally Posted by oulufinn

7mm Rem. Mag. or 30-06
What shoots as flat as the 270 and hits as hard as the 3006? 7MM Mag and 2x the Remmy Ti with endless options comment. Mine has luppy 2.5x8 B&C and 2lbs trigger, it does all I want to do and if it doesn't the M70 338WM does.
I would go with the 7mm Rem Mag also. Ammo easily available, nice bullet selection, proven round. What's not to love.

CK
© 24hourcampfire