Home
Posted By: hanco Anyone hunt with an ultra mag? - 09/30/22
I have a 7mm ultra I like a lot, load 89 grains of Reloader 25 with a 140 Partition or ballistic tip. It works real fine on deer and pigs.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
300 RUM (Although I am half heartily trying to sell it) - 87.0 grains of IMR7828 pushes 200 grain accubonds at 3150 FPS....It mainly kills steel gongs...

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Just picked up a remington 700 sps in 300 ultra mag. Haven't got it scoped yet. Realy didn't need it because I have a 30-378 wby. Just a too good of a deal to pass up.
Been wanting to kill something with the 300 for a while now. Not one to pack around though

A Friend has a Winchester M70 stainless in 300 RUM that he's looking to sell.
Originally Posted by hanco
I have a 7mm ultra I like a lot, load 89 grains of Reloader 25 with a 140 Partition or ballistic tip. It works real fine on deer and pigs.

BIL has one. Can’t locate any brass . Hard to find right now. Hasbeen
There may be some on GunBroker, probably high as hell. There was some in the classifieds not long ago. There were 3 bucks apiece.
3 original sendero 300 ultra’s
1 original sendero 7mm ultra
1 new in the box never fired 300 ultra classic stainless model 70
Haven’t shot the others in a year or so....Chavez a few cases of 180 gr Nosler 180 gr scirocco And a case of 200 gr swift a frames In ms not a lot of NEED for these cannons but every now and then it’s fun to shoot a big whitetail with em in a power line right of way
Remington 1st gen XCR 300, 190 Barnes LRX with a hat full of Retumbo😁
I’ve killed a lot of deer and two elk in last 20 years with my 300. 180 accubonds and that rum is magical.
I used a Remington Custom Shop KS in 300 RUM on my first African safari, maybe 1999 or so. I took 16 animals with 17 rounds. I think I was using 200gr Partitions. These days I don't need as much rifle as i like to get closer.
I cant remember the last time I saw an Ultra Mag caliber rifle for sale anywhere
I owned and hunted both a 7mm rum and a 300 rum. Recoil on both were more than I could handle after a few shots, and I killed elk and deer just as easily with 270/308/30-06, so I sold both. The rum cartridges worked well, just a little more power than I needed. I admire the man who can fire 10 well aimed rounds of 300rum from a bench.
338 Rum was my all time favorite. Never should have sold that rifle
Have HAD 3 300 RUMs, dont want or need another
Posted By: EdM Re: Anyone hunt with an ultra mag? - 10/01/22
Originally Posted by Biebs

Calling 404 Jeff...
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

ADG brass, Reloder 26 & 175 gr Federal Ascent bullets = 3500 fps

sheer killing magic ...

300 PRC ? pizz on that worthless byatch
I like the 338-300 RUM even more ... also known as the 338 EDGE

...[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Rem 700 LSS 300 RUM loaded with 180 gr Tittysex bullets and case full of Retumbo

moose killing machine

Had an 300RUM once but didn't use it. Have an 338 EDGE and it's been used on cross canyon elk and bears. Still have new bags of RUM brass
A mate of mine has sniped fallow deer at 800yards using his 338RUM.
I use the .338 RUM and .375 RUM.
I’ve had a CA Ridgeline 300 RUM and now have a M70 SC in a Legend. Pretty awesome cartridge. The 70 action isn’t the best fit in my opinion to the cartridge but I make do for now.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

I have a Defiance Deviant GA Hunter with CRF and 3 POS along with a 1-8 Hawk Hill I plan to make into a 338 RUM soon.
Had one for elk. Great cartridge and very accurate in my Rem M700. Don't hunt elk anymore so sold it to make room in the safe. Should have bought another safe.
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Had one for elk. Great cartridge and very accurate in my Rem M700. Don't hunt elk anymore so sold it to make room in the safe. Should have bought another safe.

I need another safe myself
Originally Posted by Biebs

That’s a good one. Might be interested.
I've owned the 7mm, 300 and 338 RUM. All three were Remington factory tubes. The 7mm RUM would consistently shoot half inch or smaller groups at 100 yards with the 150 gr Ballistic tip. The 338 RUM would consistently shoot half inch or a little bigger at 100 yards with the 225 gr Accubond. 500 yard groups with both guns ranged consistently from 2 to 3 1/2 inches. I killed deer with both. I hunted elk with the 338 RUM but never got one. The 300 RUM was around an inch or less at 100 yards with the 200 gr Accubond. I killed an elk with it.
All three are gone but if I could have one of them back it would be the 338 RUM.
Back around 1999 or 2000, I purchased two of the Stainless Fluted Sendero's. One in 300 RUM, the other in 338 RUM. Seemed like the 300 kicked tha' bejesus out of me. Got rid of it and kept the 338 RUM. Sent it to Hill Country Rifle and had them do the Accurising Pkg. they were doing Circa 2004. Also had them add a Vais Brake. It's now a pussy-cat! Taken a number of critters with it over the last 20 years or so. I typically don't shoot long range but my longest kill wit the RUM was a white-tail doe @ a lasered 590 yds.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

and a twofer'

ya!

GWB
Posted By: 79S Re: Anyone hunt with an ultra mag? - 10/02/22
I have 300 rum in a stainless model 70. My load is 94.0 gr 7977, rem 9 1/2 mag, 180gr ttsx, 3.600 avg velocity 3280.
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945

ADG has been making 300 RUM brass for a few years now & it's tons better than the Rem/Nor/Nos/Fed/Hor stuff out there .... One pass in a 7mm RUM full length die and you're good to go

in stock at Blue Collar Reloading .....

ADG 300 RUM brass

& Nosler brass
Nosler 300 RUM brass
YUP

Originally Posted by hasbeen1945

I have some once fired brass I will sell. I was going to reload for a buddy of mine, but he doesn't use rifle enough. PM me if interested in buying it
Brass is sold. thanks Hanco
I bought a Rem 700 in .375 RUM about 20 years ago mainly for an African Cape Buffalo hunt.

It was a stainless barrel and action in a laminated stock. I only shoot handloads for everything except .22 rimfire. The first time that I took it to the range to sight in the scope and to test my 300 grain TSX handloads, it kicked so bad that I didn't fire all of the different loads that I was working up.

So I sent the barreled action to a "gunsmith" in Arizona to have the barrel ported, and I ordered a laminated stock blank from Richards so I could make a stock that better fit me. When I got the barreled action back the 26" barrel had been shorteded to a ported 24". He had a note with it that something had gone wrong with the first porting that he had done and he had to cut it off and port it again. So now the effective length of my 26" barrel was 22".

But then with a new stock, a ported barrel, and 3 groups of 3 test loads I returned to the range. The made to fit me stock and ported barrel tamed recoil, but before I got through my 9 test cartridges, the ported end of the barrel blew off.

I then tried to get ahold of the "gunsmith" he would not answer my phone calls or emails. I later found out that he had gone out of business. My option then was to send the barreled action back to Remington for a new barrel. That took over a year to get me back to my original 26" barreled action.

At a local gunshow I tallked to a gunsmith from Billings, MT that said he could install a KDF brake, the same diameter as the muzzle, on my rifle. He did and finally all was good with my .375 RUM. I built the stock with a LOP to fit me, pillar and glass bedded the action and barrel, then floated the barrel, put a 1" Limbsaver recoil pad on it, and finished the stock with my favorite mulit-panel, wrap-a-round hand cut checkering pattern. I topped it off with a Leupold 2-7x scope. Three shot groups with my 300 grain TSX bullets would shoot 100 yard moa groups.

Everything was finally ready for my 2005 Zimbabwe buffalo hunt.

Along with this Chobe bushbuck.

And then back to South Africa for some Plains Game animals including this Nyala.

I took my .375 RUM back to South Africa with me in 2007 for a PG hunt on several properties in the Eastern and Southern Cape. Before going on this trip, to further tame the recoil of my .375 RUM I installed a mercury recoil reducer in it's stock. One of my animals on that trip was this Vaal Rhebok that I got with a 150 yard prone shot.

And this Cape Eland from a spot and stalk 30 yard shot.

My .375 RUM was then a safe queen until last year when I used it in Alaska for this Grizzly bear.
Awesome show for that big 375! You've definitely got some use out of it!
No doubt! Thanks for sharing
Ive been hunting with the uktra mags since the first came out. First with a 7mm Ultra and then with a model 70 stainless 300 ultra , which has been my main rifle for around 20 years.
Original sendero 300 Ultra - still miss it!!
Remington all weather SPS in 338 Ultra
Sako 75V in 300 Ultra
Sako 75V in 7mm Ultra
Rebarreling a Sako 75V from 300 to 375 Ultra currently...
Originally Posted by cooperfan
Brass is sold. thanks Hanco

Good brass, good price
I have a 338 RUM. This is the only RUM I have had. The first one, I shot it out, sold it to a friend he was going to put a new barrel on it. Then, I needed another one. I had Mark Brown build me one. I still have this one. It shoots great.
These rounds sure pop the slack out of a critter.
I should add this, my RUM is fantastic not lacking in anything, saying that I'd rather hunt with my custom .308 Win.
I know, kind of crazy. I'm blaming it on my age.
Originally Posted by Swamplord
Tittysex bullets

Snort! I'm stealing that
Posted By: UAE Re: Anyone hunt with an ultra mag? - 10/14/22
ONLY MORONS hunt with ULTRA MAG !!!!!
I used to. Have owned 3 300 RUMs, one 7mm RUM and two 338 RUM. Liked them all, used a brake on them all. I only killed Mule Deer with the 300 RUM. Never got a shot with the 7mm RUM, and one big 32" Aoudad with one of the 338 RUMs. Just a whole lot of powder/kaboom for me anymore. Plus, I never shoot Long Range where they all really shine. I'm glad for the experience though.
Originally Posted by UAE
ONLY MORONS hunt with ULTRA MAG !!!!!

300Rum..

Killed moose, elk, mtn goat and a 8.5ft mtn grizz with mine.
Sept. 2011

Rem 700 LSS

200 gr Swift A-Frame bullet @ 360 yards = guillotine execution

Sept. 2011

Rem 700 LSS

Awesome
Sept. 2011

Rem 700 LSS

You don’t need to long arm that moose to make it look big…
Spring 2022

Rem 700 LSS 300 RUM (my other one)

190 gr Barnes LRX

full charge at 14 yards

I've got a 338 RUM. Had a 700 LSS and shot the barrel out of it. Had it rebarreled with a Krieger and it shoots 2" groups at 800 yards. It is a hammer on game. I've taken WT deer, Mule Deer, Black Bear, Elk and Moose.

JD338
Originally Posted by shrapnel
You don’t need to long arm that moose to make it look big…

lol.....
© 24hourcampfire