Home
Posted By: ClemB Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22
I know that this cartridge has been around for quite some time and has a great following but I often wondered why. IMO this "hot shot" 7mm was something that was never needed. My reason for stating this is that the 280 Rem (7mm Rem Express) can do pretty much what the bigger mag can do with slightly less velocity. The .270 Win is also close but can't handle the heavier bullets. My thinking is if I believe the 280 isn't enough gun then I'd likely opt for a 300 WM or bigger.
I'm pretty sure I opened up a can of worms for the 7mm Mag fans so have at it. I have thick skin.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Remington92 Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22
I’m sure there will be more educated opinions to come but this has been my experience with 7 Rem mags. Seems to hit a sweet spot of velocity, bullet weight and recoil. There are other cartridges that certainly maintain a similar balancing act but without the wide spread availability. Before the panics of the last few years every store that carried ammo had 308, 270, 30-06, 243, 300wm and 7mm Rem mag. I almost went 280ai on this last go round cause it does 90% of what a 7mag will with less powder and recoil with moderate bullet weights. What ultimately turned me back to 7mag was the lack of guns and ammo options in 280ai and I just don’t have the time anymore to devote to reloading. (Also helps that I have 2 other 7mags and stocked up ammo) Beauty of this country is there’s piles of options and pick whatever floats your boat.
Posted By: Sheister Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22
In the beginning there wasn't much reason except for the fact that it is human nature to want the fastest thing going- and at the time it was that. And it came in a nice little package , was very accurate, and ammo was available.

These days the fact that the 7MM bullets are just about the highest BC slugs available and it doesn't hurt that the magnum can push them to their best advantage has made it very popular. There are times I wish I hadn't sold my Rem 700 7 Mag I bought new in 72 but at least it is still in my family. My nephew hunts with it still...
Posted By: buttstock Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22
You left out comparing the 7 mm Rem Mag to the 30-06 (which I would take with 200 grain jacketed spitzers over the "big 7").

The 7 mm Rem Mag ( or Weatherby) is a fine cartridge. I just never viewed it with any lust as a wonder cartridge. Never had any interest in it, but not a hater of it.

The way I look at it, the cartridge group of: 270 Win, (7x57?), 280 Rem, 7 mm Rem/Weatherby mag, and 30-06 are all close enough, and perform well. Pick your poison. Personally, I just don't warm up to belted cases.
Posted By: rembo Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22
Originally Posted by ClemB
I know that this cartridge has been around for quite some time and has a great following but I often wondered why. IMO this "hot shot" 7mm was something that was never needed. My reason for stating this is that the 280 Rem (7mm Rem Express) can do pretty much what the bigger mag can do with slightly less velocity. The .270 Win is also close but can't handle the heavier bullets. My thinking is if I believe the 280 isn't enough gun then I'd likely opt for a 300 WM or bigger.
I'm pretty sure I opened up a can of worms for the 7mm Mag fans so have at it. I have thick skin.

I know that the 300 Win Mag cartridge has been around for quite some time and has a great following but I often wondered why. IMO this "hot shot" .30 caliber was something that was never needed. My reason for stating this is that the 30-06 can do pretty much what the bigger mag can do with slightly less velocity. The .280 Rem is also close but can't handle the heavier bullets. My thinking is if I believe the 30-06 isn't enough gun then I'd likely opt for a 338 WM or bigger.
I'm pretty sure I opened up a can of worms for the 300 Win Mag fans so have at it. I have thick skin.

Can someone do the 25's next?
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22
This might’ve been an interesting discussion, circa 1962 or 1963.

Now? Meh.
Posted By: clockwork_7mm Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22
You could say "why X when Z already sort of does this" for the vast majority of cartridges developed in the 20th century. You don't need a "why" just a bigger safe! smile
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
You could say "why X when Z already sort of does this" for the vast majority of cartridges developed in the 20th century. You don't need a "why" just a bigger safe! smile
This joint needs a thumbs up button
Posted By: hanco Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22
There are lots of 7 mag fans out there. I only have 5.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
This might’ve been an interesting discussion, circa 1962 or 1963.

Now? Meh.

Yep.. Some guys are living way in the past though.. The 7mm RM has pretty much proven itself over the years. If not, you wouldn't see any ammo on the shelves or rifles in the racks.. People still like and use it. The same can't be said for many other newer cartridges..
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22

Please let us know what powder/primer combo your using in that 270 and 280 to launch a 160gr bullet 3000+fps.
Posted By: Rossimp Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22
The only competition the 7mm Rem Mag faces today is the 7mm PRC. The PRC is a much improved magnum design. It’s not any faster per say but the case, especially the shoulder, neck length and case length make for better bullet seating and uniform burn rates and it’s based on a 1-8 twist and 1-7.5 twist with 180 grain projectiles. As far as compared to the 270 WCF or 280 Rem, both excellent hunting chambers, the 7mm Rem Mag will push 140 grain Ballistic Tips at 3,350 fps. That’s serious flat shooting antelope and mule deer medicine. That’s something neither 270 or 280 can match and the difference widens as the bullets get heavier. Any 7mm hits a sweet spot due to high BC, but the 7mm Rem Mag has that plus bullet weight and powder capacity. The 7mm Rem Mag is about as much punch as a shooter can manage and shoot well making it one of the more popular magnums by far.
Posted By: hanco Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22
I load 64 grains of IMR 4350 with a 140 grain ballistic tip. Kills the deer, hogs I hunt with ease. If I had to get down to one deer cartridge, a 7 mag would be the one.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22
Please let us know what powder/primer combo your using in that 270 and 280 to launch a 160gr bullet 3000+fps.

If I could have ever found a combo that would actually do that with a 7mm Rem mag I'd still have one.

On paper the high BC 160 gr 7mm bullets @ 3000 fps looks pretty good. From a rifle where recoil is indistinguishable from a comparable weight 30-06. I was able to hit 3000 fps with some loads, but with horrible accuracy. To get acceptable accuracy closer to 2900 fps was the best I could do. At the time I was getting 2950 fps with 180's out of a 300 WSM and 2800 from a 30-06 with the accuracy I wanted. I really wanted to like the 7 mag, but let it go.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22
RL26 will get 3000+ with 150s in the .270, no question. Their data doesn’t cover 160s, but anecdotal info here suggests, IIRC, it can get close. No matter to me as 2700 with 160gr NPs get DRTs at typical woods ranges. I’m using W780, and have enough for the “duration”, if you know what I mean.😜
Posted By: HawkI Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22
Its the 243 of belted magnums; what points for one are similar to the other.

The BC for both is outstanding, recoil for both allows precision. They are a little too much for where they begin at and light where they end, for arguments sake.

I've had several guns in both so chambered here and they are all down the road, because some of us want light and quiet when we want it and loud and over the top when we want that.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22
Originally Posted by JMR40

If I could have ever found a combo that would actually do that with a 7mm Rem mag I'd still have one.

On paper the high BC 160 gr 7mm bullets @ 3000 fps looks pretty good. From a rifle where recoil is indistinguishable from a comparable weight 30-06. I was able to hit 3000 fps with some loads, but with horrible accuracy. To get acceptable accuracy closer to 2900 fps was the best I could do. At the time I was getting 2950 fps with 180's out of a 300 WSM and 2800 from a 30-06 with the accuracy I wanted. I really wanted to like the 7 mag, but let it go.

71-72gr of Retumbo will get you there easily, with a 160 Accubond.
Posted By: shinbone Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22
With modern bullets, 7mm is now the sweet spot for elk.
Posted By: baldhunter Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22
Here are a couple of my 7mag loads
160gr Accubond
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip
Posted By: Jericho Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22
Mmmmmm....I guess Big Stick went to bed early tonight.....
Posted By: TakeEm Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22
To paraphrase Mule Deer’s cartridge Write up in Barnes #4; “It kicked no harder than the average .30-06 yet shot noticeably flatter.”

Some factors in its popularity:

There weren’t laser rangefinders; and turret scopes and BDC reticles weren’t common in 1962. The .300 Win Mag wasn’t around for another year. Paired with the introduction of the Remington 700 it came out hot and stayed there. Simply, it shoots flat and hits hard enough to put down any of the world’s non dangerous game without the recoil of bigger cartridges.

It just works for me and despite my current want of a .300 or .338 Magnum ; the 7 hasn’t ever let me down. It does shoot flatter than the .30-06, .300 Win, .270, .280 (and AI) and plenty of others. Ballistically it’s hard to beat.
Posted By: pathfinder76 Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22
What is actually better?
Posted By: smallfry Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22
The 7mm RM wasn’t born out of any need other than from Remington marketing. You won’t categorically shoot anything larger with a 300 WM than with a 7mm RM, and the 7mm RM is miles ahead of a 300 in many respects. You can build a pretty light 22 or 23” rifle in 7 mag and won’t be suffering. Agreed though, a 280 gets a lot done.
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
What is actually better?

That's a loaded question and can be highly subjective.
Posted By: LV_Hunter Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22
Hard to figure out why Winchester went with the 264 rather than 7mm. Turned out rather well for Remington.
Originally Posted by LV_Hunter
Hard to figure out why Winchester went with the 264 rather than 7mm. Turned out rather well for Remington.

Winchester did a lot of stupid scidt back then. Same can be said why they didn't bring out a 30 cal magnum right after the 338wm. It took them 3 years to do that. Norma wasted no time because Winchester drug their feet. I still prefer the 308 Norma over the wm. It's a better case design.
Posted By: Teal Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22
My thinking is if I believe the 280 isn't enough gun then I'd likely opt for a 300 WM or bigger.

What would you poke in the ribs with a 300WM that you wouldn't with a 280? Assume similar quality of bullets?

Not bagging - asking for clarification on just what this would be. Often see the same with the 30-06. IMO - if you need more than an 06 based cartridge - you need MORE and that's 375 in nature. There's not enough difference between the 30-06/based cartridges and those just above for it to be a legitimate difference in choice.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22
For some unknown reason I've never owned a Rem 7mm mag.
Posted By: gunchamp Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22
Originally Posted by Rossimp
The only competition the 7mm Rem Mag faces today is the 7mm PRC. The PRC is a much improved magnum design. It’s not any faster per say but the case, especially the shoulder, neck length and case length make for better bullet seating and uniform burn rates and it’s based on a 1-8 twist and 1-7.5 twist with 180 grain projectiles. As far as compared to the 270 WCF or 280 Rem, both excellent hunting chambers, the 7mm Rem Mag will push 140 grain Ballistic Tips at 3,350 fps. That’s serious flat shooting antelope and mule deer medicine. That’s something neither 270 or 280 can match and the difference widens as the bullets get heavier. Any 7mm hits a sweet spot due to high BC, but the 7mm Rem Mag has that plus bullet weight and powder capacity. The 7mm Rem Mag is about as much punch as a shooter can manage and shoot well making it one of the more popular magnums by far.
Good post here and pretty much sums it up. Wonderful flat shooting cartridge that hits very hard. Happy to own it and its been my go to caliber for everything here for a while now.

Retumbo works wonderful with high velocity in the upper grains of this caliber. Extremely accurate in my tikka
In my experience, the 300s offer zero difference in killing power over the 7mm rem. You would need to step up to 338 level to see a difference
Posted By: Brad Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22
Originally Posted by shinbone
With modern bullets, 7mm is now the sweet spot for elk.

I'm not sure what this means. The 7mm RM has always had good quality bullets available to it since its appearance in 1962. It was originally conceived as a Western round with elk in mind, and nothing has changed that in the last 60 years.
Posted By: Ky221 Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22
Gay as aids 😂

Never did understand the 7RM for my area, yet its extremely popular. Also, the guys around here that shoot them.......can't. At least not well.

It's a "bro" cartridge.
Posted By: Doc_Holidude Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22
After toting a heavy Ruger #1 in 7 STW on a few elk hunts in Colorado, an $800 out the door, 7 pound Tikka T3 Camo Superlite in 7 Mag from Cabelas seemed like a great choice. It was for me. Why 7 Mag? Because I love 7’s and they didn’t make one in STW! Totally personal choice, driven basically by availability. Delighted with the way it carries and shoots.

Same sort of question like “Why a Chevy”? All the other brand fans will scream their’s is equal or better in every aspect. To each their own! 😎

Doc_Holidude
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22
Why? It shoots really flat and that used to matter a lot more than it does now. My old history teacher in high school who could get sidetracked off of any lecture with a question about weapons always said “The 7mm is almost magical.” I think I’ve come to agree with him. They just work. I’ve never had one of any stripe that didn’t kill very efficiently with very little fuss and muss.
Here in Montana, given a "7emem" is always a 7mm Rem Mag, this is a required warning:

Posted By: smallfry Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22
Originally Posted by Brad
Here in Montana, given a "7emem" is always a 7mm Rem Mag, this is a required warning:

The sign! This evolutionary step has not reached the panhandle of Idaho yet!
Posted By: MedRiver Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22
I can't think of a good reason not to hunt with a 7mm Rem Mag...I just have never done it. I know guys that have a bias against it but then will turn around and talk about how amazing their .270 WSMs are. Not enough difference to make one ounce of difference on the end that kills but that is the way the human animal operates I guess.

I think the case has a lot going for it (I couldn't care less about the belt) and think the longer neck gives it some advantage when necked to .30 over the .300 win mag despite slightly less capacity. I had a .30-338 once and it was a shooter, just too heavy of a rifle for serious mountain hunting.
Originally Posted by smallfry
The sign! This evolutionary step has not reached the panhandle of Idaho yet!

Fewer California transplants in your area grin
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22
After considering one a couple of different times over the years, for my purposes it never did anything my 270 or -06 couldn't do. 140's @ 3000+ or 180's @2800+.
I suppose if I had one it would work just as well.
Posted By: TnBigBore Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22
I have owned a few, but they never hung around. 300 yards is long shot where I hunt and even a big buck rarely goes over 200 lbs. The 270/280/30-06 class of cartridge is more than enough to suit my needs. The 7mag is just overkill.
Posted By: ClemB Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22
Wow 3 pages already! I knew this would stir the pot. And just like I thought. Some say they think the 7mm RM is the best thing since sliced bread and others couldn't care less for it. The one comment on the 300WM over the 30-06 is also true. If you can't kill something with the 06 then you better go up to at least the 338 WM. As for the comment about pushing a 160 gr out of a 280 - why would I want to? That's what the bigger boys are for.
Honestly I don't own a 7mmRM and likely never will. IMO I just don't have any use for it.
Again and I will express this: This is my opinion. We all have different tastes and that is why there are so many options.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22
Must be a slow day

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...17568748/re-who-has-a-7-mag#Post17568748
Posted By: Hiaring8 Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22
I have pretty much hunted exclusively with a 7 rem mag the last 4-5 years...Killed mule deer, elk, shiras moose, bear, antelope, coyotes with it. 150 scenars at 3150 FPS are skookum...will continue to use the 7 rem mag for many more years to come.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22
What is actually better?

Nothing much in my book. A good 7 Rem Mag is the easy button. A lot of great factory ammo and if you have a rifle that isn’t sick they’re a blessing to shoot.

I still recommend a 7 Rem to a person wanting an elk and deer rifle and not make a single excuse for the cartridge.
Posted By: tzone Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22
IMO the .280 Rem is perfection for deer and probably elk. But I've never shot an elk with it. If I need to shoot heavier bullets I'll step into a bigger cal.

Really, the 7-08 is the perfect deer cart IMO. Near or far it does it all.
Why7mm mag ? That’s easy. It’s everything a 270 Win is except it’s louder. LOL
Originally Posted by tzone
IMO the .280 Rem is perfection for deer and probably elk. But I've never shot an elk with it. If I need to shoot heavier bullets I'll step into a bigger cal.

Really, the 7-08 is the perfect deer cart IMO. Near or far it does it all.

My 7-08 has really spoiled me. At this point all I really "need" is a Talkeetna in 375 and a Montucky in 223 and I'm "done". lol.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22

Bullets matter wayyyyy more than headstamps,which is why .277's are nothing other than fhuqking FUNNY. Hint.

RPM/Throat Geometry/COAL are what connect mechanical dots,not a headstamp designator. Particulars just "happen" to fhuqking MATTER. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

I've multiple Custom 280 SALAMI's on 700's,which are simply fhuqking spectacular. In OEM guise,said Big Green chamberings tend to be exceptional. Hint.

That being said,a 24" Big Green 700 7mm RemMag will scoot .796 BC 180gr Smooches at 2950fps,in it's OEM guts. It'll look like this(Outlander handle) and perform thusly. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

How would you CLUELESS Fhuqktards that don't shoot,even have an inkling to The Splendors?!? That's rhetorical,spare the bandwidth. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............
Posted By: Jim270 Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22
^^^^^^Internet key pounding blowhard^^^^
Posted By: Raferman Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Bullets matter wayyyyy more than headstamps,which is why .277's are nothing other than fhuqking FUNNY. Hint.

RPM/Throat Geometry/COAL are what connect mechanical dots,not a headstamp designator. Particulars just "happen" to fhuqking MATTER. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

I've multiple Custom 280 SALAMI's on 700's,which are simply fhuqking spectacular. In OEM guise,said Big Green chamberings tend to be exceptional. Hint.

That being said,a 24" Big Green 700 7mm RemMag will scoot .796 BC 180gr Smooches at 2950fps,in it's OEM guts. It'll look like this(Outlander handle) and perform thusly. Hint.

How would you CLUELESS Fhuqktards that don't shoot,even have an inkling to The Splendors?!? That's rhetorical,spare the bandwidth. Hint.

What's that rifle weigh as pictured Stick?
This is really getting funny. All those that love the 7mm RM sound like they're being offended when those of us with other cartridges say they don't need it. You don't have to defend yourself for owning one. If that's what trips your trigger so be it. I personally don't think its necessary.
This makes for a great campfire debate. Those who like the 7mm RM reminds me of those that swear by the 30-06 as the best cartridge of all time. Personally I think that title belongs to the 375 H&H.
Less than the HB LR OEM Big Green version. Renegade,sipping 180's from AICS DBM's now. Hint.

Pardon Physics and connecting mechanical dots,by default. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............
Over kill makes me laugh. It maybe too much gun for the shooter, but not the game.

I have been shooting my .270 for a while now, maybe 10 years, I like this rifle but I think the reason for the 7mm Mag. has been missed for a long time. Warren Page was a big Mashburn fan. But I think what really got the big 7 rolling was Jack O.Connor. He gave a big time guide, Les Bowman and custom .275 H & H mag. Bowman, a .270 man also, used the .275 as a loner to his hunters. The long 7 mag bullets impressed him so much on elk, that he got Mike Walker, of Remington interested in the project. Bowman made probably the first 7mm Ren. Mag by necking up .264 cases. After killing more elk with this, Walker was convinced it was a worth while project.. Bowman saw dozens of elk killed in his years of guiding. If he felt the big 7 was better, I will go along with that also. Shooting a couple skinny whitetails isn't shooting elk. No comparison. My next door neighbor killed a very nice bull this fall in a special draw unit. He usually kills a bull most years, so he has experience, he said this bull just would not go down. He shot it 5 or so times with his 06, before it finally fell. Sometimes it better to have more gun than just enough. But killing stuff on the internet is pretty easy.
Nice rifle.
Thinking about this thread reminds me of my muzzleloading experience. Years ago back in the 70s prior to inline muzzleloaders when states started having muzzleloader seasons everyone swore you needed a .50 cal or better. I guess that was because of the movie Jerimiah Johnson! I fell into that falsehood too. Now, although I have a couple .50 cals, I've come to use my .45 cals more. Especially for deer. Once in a while if I get out for bear I'll break out the big old .58.
Posted By: Belvedere2 Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22
I've often thought about getting a 7Rem. Just never felt I needed a cartridge with more range than say a 30-06. Usually close range stuff so I just use the Whelen anyways. It'd be nice to do some hunting out west. Maybe in the next life. Lol.
Posted By: clockwork_7mm Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22

HA! I thought Montana was full of modern day Daniel Boones?! This seems more like a sign for the Midwest (at least they can say they've been shotgun only for decades!)
Current guise,as cited ala AICS DBM and 180 ELD Square Smooches. Hint.

Surprised nobody has mentioned a 7 Whizzum Montucky,flingin' same?!? Reading about them on Google,sounds promisin'?!? Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Over kill makes me laugh. It maybe too much gun for the shooter, but not the game.

I have been shooting my .270 for a while now, maybe 10 years, I like this rifle but I think the reason for the 7mm Mag. has been missed for a long time. Warren Page was a big Mashburn fan. But I think what really got the big 7 rolling was Jack O.Connor. He gave a big time guide, Les Bowman and custom .275 H & H mag. Bowman, a .270 man also, used the .275 as a loner to his hunters. The long 7 mag bullets impressed him so much on elk, that he got Mike Walker, of Remington interested in the project. Bowman made probably the first 7mm Ren. Mag by necking up .264 cases. After killing more elk with this, Walker was convinced it was a worth while project.. Bowman saw dozens of elk killed in his years of guiding. If he felt the big 7 was better, I will go along with that also. Shooting a couple skinny whitetails isn't shooting elk. No comparison. My next door neighbor killed a very nice bull this fall in a special draw unit. He usually kills a bull most years, so he has experience, he said this bull just would not go down. He shot it 5 or so times with his 06, before it finally fell. Sometimes it better to have more gun than just enough. But killing stuff on the internet is pretty easy.

Great post and a good reason people like the 7mm rem mag. The op is a pot stirring sob. Likes getting a reaction out of people that like the 7mm rem mag. He obviously doesn't have much experience when it comes to cartridges and their abilities..

Originally Posted by beretzs
What is actually better?

Nothing much in my book. A good 7 Rem Mag is the easy button. A lot of great factory ammo and if you have a rifle that isn’t sick they’re a blessing to shoot.

I still recommend a 7 Rem to a person wanting an elk and deer rifle and not make a single excuse for the cartridge.

Good post.
Fortunately for you CLUELESS Fhuqks,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even you gals can "afford" to "contribute"...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Gals who "know" and "do" as "much" as the OP,WyoCryo and Beezer,will always be BEST served by asking questions,rather than giving "answers". Fact is,do tell about the 108's in your 6x45 AR. HINT.

It's never been difficult to savvy who shoots and who don't,which arranges Oblivious HILARITY as a default,for you Don'tards. Read that again. Now one more time. HINT.

WSM is what I wanted. -08 is what I got. Don't really feel shorted in the least.
Posted By: pathfinder76 Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22
Originally Posted by beretzs
What is actually better?

It really is hard to beat. Brass selection is fantastic. Bullet selection the same.
Teal,

I feel your pain. Hint.(grin)

Only a bit bigger than 22" green. A single Smooching 162' Max. Hint.

I got the chance finally go out to the range and sight in a new CLR in 7mag as well as double check my backup 7mag bdl and cheap truck gun 243. I brought 4 kinds of ammo to see what it would like and the first box I tried of 162gr eldx shot well enough I didn’t even try the others. For guys that don’t have the time or drive to reload it’s nice having a chambering that’s readily available. Also I’m fairly confident it will handle anything in Montana I’ll stumble onto and the recoil wasn’t that massive of a jump over the 243 either. Bottom line plenty of options of all shapes and sizes, shoot whatever trips your trigger but I’ve definitely got a soft spot for the 7mag especially this new one. My buddy that was with me was drooling over how light and handy it was compared to his bdl and wishes he could track one down in 300wm now.
CLR's are dog Schit in said chambering,by literal design and their HILARIOUS magbox "latitude". Hint.

The merits of Big Green 3.690" confines,are more than a touch obvious. Mainly because mechanics just "happen" to fhuqking matter. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

'Course,with the 300 Winny being an even longer case,that chambering is an even bigger piece of fhuqking schit in a 3.25" 'box. Hint.

Joan Average ain't very bright and she'll PROVE it,if only by doing her BEST. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............
CLR's are dog Schit in said chambering,by literal design and their HILARIOUS magbox "latitude". Hint.

The merits of Big Green 3.690" confines,are more than a touch obvious. Mainly because mechanics just "happen" to fhuqking matter. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

'Course,with the 300 Winny being an even longer case,that chambering is an even bigger piece of fhuqking schit in a 3.25" 'box. Hint.

Joan Average ain't very bright and she'll PROVE it,if only by doing her BEST. Hint.

We’ve had this conversation before you Neanderthal, it fits everything I shoot just fine so get it through that cue ball overinflated ego brain of yours and I won’t bring up your hood rat blinged out gold and Stevie wonder could find neon orange rifles you’re so proud of.
Wrongington,

In fairness,I recall less than fhuqking zero about you,though am everything but "surprised!",that you fixate me 24/7...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even you can "afford" to "contribute",as you "live" vicariously. Hint.

You be sure to extoll your very WELL founded Insecurities and I'll happily fuel them,with wares that simply exist. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................
Posted By: Bugger Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22
I have an early SS 7mm RM 700. It is an accurate rifle. Many groups under 1 MOA and a few under 1/2 MOA. This is my favorite load:

7 mm RM, 700 BDL, 140 grain Nosler Partition, 72 grains RE 26, averages 0.38 MOA

So, then, "Why not abandon the 30-06, the 280, the 300 Win Mag, the 7mm Weatherby Mag, the 264 Win Mag and the 270?" There is no need for them. While at it, might as well get rid of the 7x57, the 7-08 and some others too. Come right down to it, there's no need for any 25, 6.5 or 30 or 8mm, or any other 7mm cartridge. There, now life is simple.
If only because bullets matter wayyyyy more than headstamps,I MUCH prefer a 21" 7-08 with .796 BC 180's at 2600fps,over a 24" or longer 7mm RemMag and .434BC 140 NPT's at 3350fps. Hint.

Dangle a picture of said piece of fhuqking schit. Hint.

Posted By: ingwe Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22

When I worked at the LGS you couldnt believe the amount of hurt feelers I got when asked for " 7 em em shells" and I would reply, " Which one?"

Hell even the boss got after me about it till I explained if this idiot gets the wrong shells and his gun blows up, you're liable...that ended that schitt.
Posted By: Swamplord Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22
Originally Posted by ingwe

When I worked at the LGS you couldnt believe the amount of hurt feelers I got when asked for " 7 em em shells" and I would reply, " Which one?"

Hell even the boss got after me about it till I explained if this idiot gets the wrong shells and his gun blows up, you're liable...that ended that schitt.

Common gun dummy stupidity around here, hear it all the time, heard a schmuck yesterday in Sportsmans Warehouse asking

"Do you have 300 bullets " ?

Eye rolling moment of disgust & funnier than shyte at the same time ....

The counter guy is like "Win Mag is out but we just got 40 boxes of WSM"

Gun dummy is like , "no I'm looking for PRC bullets" LMGDMFAO !!!!'

I almost asked WTF are PRC bullets but was afraid I'd laugh in the dumb bastards face ! lol

Fairly common these days with the younger morons to associate "sixfive" with the 6.5 manbun ..

& 7 em em with the 7mm Rem Mag ... but that will soon change once the HYPE is cranked into overdrive with the new 7mm PRC
Posted By: MAC Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/12/22

Off the Nosler data with a 160 gr bullet:
63 gr of IMR 4831 = 3008 fps
64 grs of IMR 7828 = 3014 fps
61.5 grs of RL-19 = 3053 fps
63 grs of RL-22 = 3058 fps
70 grs of RL-25 = 3063 fps
72 grs of MagPro = 3072 fps.

As to the OP's question, my father bought a 7mm Mag when they first became available in the early 1960s. My grandfather also shot a 7mm Rem Mag. Both myself and my brother got 7mm Rem Mags when we turned 13. Growing up in CO it was a good caliber for the mule deer, pronghorn and elk hunting we did. It had enough velocity to reach out the distances we shot at and it carried enough energy downrange to take the game we shot at. It worked and I still shoot it to this day.
Posted By: ClemB Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/13/22
Actually to BSA i guess I hit a nerve with expressing my opinion on the 7mm RM. And to let you know I've been at this game for well over 55 years.
You say I'm stirring the pot just because you don't agree with me. You are such small minded or thin skinned if you think someone can't have an opinion other than your own.
The 7mm RM IMO is a chambering I really don't care to have.
Originally Posted by Swamplord
Originally Posted by ingwe
[quote=Brad]Here in Montana, given a "7emem" is always a 7mm Rem Mag, this is a required warning:

Common gun dummy stupidity around here, /quote

When i worked at a sporting goods store many years ago a guy asked for 270 ammo. I offered him a box of Rems and he said he had a Win rifle and couldn't use those!
Posted By: grovey Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/13/22
7 rem mag will always have a place when it comes to killing critters.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/13/22
If you were to make a list of overrated cartridges, it would look something like this:

#1 6.5 Creedmoor
#2 7mm Remington Magnum
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/13/22
Schitsmell,

Your boundless Retardation,reliably takes you to places that don't exist...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Now what were the "odds",that besides being a CLUELESS Fhuqk,you just also "happen" to be a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit? Hint.

Posted By: rcamuglia Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/13/22
Schitsmell,

Your boundless Retardation,reliably takes you to places that don't exist...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Now what were the "odds",that besides being a CLUELESS Fhuqk,you just also "happen" to be a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit? Hint.

Seems like up around the 💯% mark.
You all can have your 7mmRM. I'll continue to stick with my diminutive 270 win and 7-08 for most of my hunting. My 270 has been with me for 25+ years and has taken whitetail, mulies and pronghorn from literally in my lap to over 400 yards and all with single shots. I don't need a powder guzzling mag. For bigger game like bear and moose I've been very successful with my '06.
I had magnums before until I realized they aren't needed. If I want to shoot a big boy I'll reach for one of my 45-70s.
Clammy,

You CLUELESS Woke Melting Snowflakes are a rather Emotional bunch...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

How could a Brokedick Fhuqktard such as yourself,have even an inkling,given your "means","abilities" and "comprehension"? For even more Oblivious HILARITY,describe the particulars of said piece of fhuqking schit. Don't "forget" to cite projectiles and dangle a pic. Feel free to correlate your 400yd POA/POI "approach". Dare ya'. HINT.

6BR/105 'Max here. Hint.

Posted By: sbhooper Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/13/22
Originally Posted by MAC

Off the Nosler data with a 160 gr bullet:
63 gr of IMR 4831 = 3008 fps
64 grs of IMR 7828 = 3014 fps
61.5 grs of RL-19 = 3053 fps
63 grs of RL-22 = 3058 fps
70 grs of RL-25 = 3063 fps
72 grs of MagPro = 3072 fps.

As to the OP's question, my father bought a 7mm Mag when they first became available in the early 1960s. My grandfather also shot a 7mm Rem Mag. Both myself and my brother got 7mm Rem Mags when we turned 13. Growing up in CO it was a good caliber for the mule deer, pronghorn and elk hunting we did. It had enough velocity to reach out the distances we shot at and it carried enough energy downrange to take the game we shot at. It worked and I still shoot it to this day.

Yep and Re33 gets over 3000 with a 175-grain bullet, from a 26-inch barrel. I have shot a number of elk with 160 partitions at 3000.

The 7 mag is no different than a host of other cartridges that people argue about. It is a very good cartridge that will do more than most people need in a hunting rifle. I have had a pair of them for a long time. That being said, I prefer to hunt with lighter cartridges now, as I do not need the recoil, or the inefficient use of expensive powder. Every time that I decide that I may sell them, I make the mistake of going back to the range and shooting them.
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/13/22
A perennial favorite...Win 70, Shilen @ 24", Brown Precision Stock, Ziess Divari
Ha..you make me laugh. With a name like Big Stick and using magnum rifles and infantile posts it seems you are over compensating for your insecurity because of your small mind and small penis.
You probably drive a lifted 4WD pickup too.
Posted By: keith Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/13/22
Clem, Big Stick has a unique way of teaching...the 180g ELD-M are no joke in my 280, 280 AI, and 7 Mag, all sporting 9 Twists. Some things you just have to see to believe, and that .796 BC will have you shaking your head in disbelief. I use R#22 in the 7 mag, 2850 on 26" barrels. IMR 7828 in the 180 AI, and R#17 in the 280.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/13/22
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
For some unknown reason I've never owned a Rem 7mm mag.

Me either.

Bought a 70 Stainless Classic in 7-STW and skipped the baby steps.
Posted By: JPro Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/13/22
Impressive to me that the 7RM 180gr/2950fps load is still carrying 2000fps at 850yds. That's quite a performance from a plain old 7RM Rem700.
Posted By: Teal Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/13/22
Ha..you make me laugh. With a name like Big Stick and using magnum rifles and infantile posts it seems you are over compensating for your insecurity because of your small mind and small penis.
You probably drive a lifted 4WD pickup too.

Actually - Stick's been one of the most vocal proponents of smaller cartridges for hunting because bullets matter more than headstamps.

Way back when I started here - was the first time I heard of 223 for deer. Chunky bastards like he was getting on POW.

For all the heartburn - he does shoot a lot and up and down the spectrum quite a bit. I'd dare say - mostly down the spectrum recently with BRs on the Montucky and the new 180 7mm at speed in the RM but 7-08 and 162 was a mainstay for a long time. People also give him crap about his disdain for Leup when he used to run them a lot too. Guess what - things change, others get better and come along etc. I much prefer someone doing constant R&D - open minded enough to accept better when it comes along instead of "dad shot leupold in 65, so I shoot it today - nothing better" - bullchit.

YMMV
Clammy,

You keep extolling your very WELL founded Insecurities,along with thinking of me nekked...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even a Whining Crying Lying Brokedick like you can "afford" to "contribute",even if it is only with your Homoerotic Fantasies. Hint.

Can't fault Stick on his choice of powerhead color.

Hi-jack over.
I never noticed the color. Hint.

I've only owned (2) STW's,both of course 700 based and Winchester is a FAR cry from same. Do tell,what bullet are you shooting in said piece of schit? Hint.

Powerhead color matters way more than headstamps. Lol !!

I don't shoot the STW much. 90% of my hunting is with a bow. 10% with a flintlock. Only ever tried 3 loads in it. 120 SMK's just to see how high the chrono would go. Then 140 TTSX. Not much on accuracy. Then 140 AccuBond. Fast as hell and group very well. Good load for playing at the farm on the 600 yard steel. But the only deer I ever shot with the AB had a failure to expand. 275-ish yards. 7mm hole in and out. No blood. Deer fell over 150 yards away, but.....

Obviously I should have tried bullets way heavier. Just never did yet.
Only reason to buy a 7 mag is if you can’t buy a 7mm Mauser ,280/ 280 AI, etc
I'm fhuqking CRYING,I'm laughing sooooo fhuqking hard! You gals are JeffZero and Shefire. Hint.

Posted By: MickinColo Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/13/22
I never understood why people worry about what other people shoot. Look at this picture of my stuff,, OMG there's a 7mm Remington Magnum in that line up.

Michellle,

It's only fair to grant slack on the rope and let Melting Snowflakes try. You are doing "GREAT!". Hint.

Posted By: Judman Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/13/22

I've only owned (2) STW's,both of course 700 based and Winchester is a FAR cry from same. Do tell,what bullet are you shooting in said piece of schit? Hint.

Jesus Christ!!!! Any money grows on trees??? Aren’t you a little bit older than me?Fuuck you photoshop yourself into a 1968 pic?? Haha

Fuucking laughing you lazy little bushelor you!!! 😂😂😂

Oh, never owned a “7 mag”. Always loved to “7 mag” shooters, always gotta add the “MAG” behind it. Haha
Posted By: ClemB Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/14/22
I don't care what anyone shoots and as I've said at least 5 times in this thread I have no use for the 7mm RM. If that's what you like have at it. Why jump on anyone for their opinion unless you're really thin skinned.
Shoot your belted 7mm and have a blast. I'm outta here.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/14/22
As long as you dont refer to your rifle as "7 Maggie" .............
Posted By: MAC Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/14/22
If I want to shoot a big boy I'll reach for one of my 45-70s.

45-70 is not a big boy. You just showed me that you're not someone whose opinion or comments have much relevancy.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/14/22
Originally Posted by Judman

Jesus Christ!!!! Any money grows on trees??? Aren’t you a little bit older than me?Fuuck you photoshop yourself into a 1968 pic?? Haha

Fuucking laughing you lazy little bushelor you!!! 😂😂😂

Oh, never owned a “7 mag”. Always loved to “7 mag” shooters, always gotta add the “MAG” behind it. Haha

Diggin on the 1970's single wide.... trailer trash...... can't hide money.... lmao
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/14/22
Clammy was never "in" it and Urfubar remains an Epic Lying Piece Of Fhuqking CLUELESS Schit. Hint.

That's a bunkhouse in a Logging Camp,so keep them WELL founded Insecurities rollin',as you Melting Snowflakes "live" vicariously. Hint.

P.S. and by the way,do not "forget" that Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery. Hint.

Posted By: GAGoober Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/14/22
👍
Clammy was never "in" it and Urfubar remains an Epic Lying Piece Of Fhuqking CLUELESS Schit. Hint.

That's a bunkhouse in a Logging Camp,so keep them WELL founded Insecurities rollin',as you Melting Snowflakes "live" vicariously. Hint.

P.S. and by the way,do not "forget" that Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery. Hint.

Oh sure.... every logging camp has a reloading setup...... wink
Urfubar,

That'd be fact,when I was there and you might just wanna cite how many times a day you think about me and the typical duration(s) of same...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

If only because I was running The Show,I could choose betwixt living on the floating barge,or land based. Guess which?!? Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!............
Urfubar,

That'd be fact,when I was there and you might just wanna cite how many times a day you think about me and the typical duration(s) of same...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

If only because I was running The Show,I could choose betwixt living on the floating barge,or land based. Guess which?!? Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!............

If I thought about you much I would respond to more of your post... I don't... but you can dream... wink lmao
Posted By: Jim270 Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/14/22
Myself, If I wanted to know anything about ballistics, I would get one of Bryan Litz's books. Bryan is an actual rocket scientist, not some internet key pounding windbag, who if pressed couldn't come up with a 4H proficiency certificate for a BB gun.

Urfubar,

That frame,was a decade prior to the other,but same Kit. I Tramped it from Camp to Camp to Camp,if only Legendarily. 'Course,that press had multiple 100's of Thousands less rounds upon it then. Hint.

Jane,

I'm simply afforded the luxuries,of not being forced to guess,while a guess is the BEST you can summons...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Myself,I simply procure and flog on schit and you Man Crush Whining CLUELESS Kchunts devour EVERY word and Splendid Pixel,as you "live" vicariously. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..........
The best thing about one of Litz's books is it doesn't have the ballistic jargon of hint, clueless, helpless, congratulations and perhaps the absolute worst smooches. I think the biggest plus is there are no pictures of fish, cut trees, red hard hats, RCBS uniflow powder meters.
Posted By: keith Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/14/22
I think that Stick should have his own Cable Channel, and skip writing a book!
Jane,

It's hardly a "confession",that you read me more than anyone else and ogle the Splendid Pixels as you "live" vicariously...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

If only because you've NO other "move". Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Keep citing your very WELL founded Insecurities and I'll happily fuel same,as you wax eloquent upon your Man Lust Fantasies. Hint.

Stick, You haven't been able to post one thing to back your big mouth. So as far as a shooter goes that leaves you as a fly speck on a mountain of dung. Rightly Legendary my right cheek. How about a shotty?

Jane,

Were you thinking about me yet again and what was I wearing this time...you "lucky" kchunt? Hint. Congratulations?!?

This was a rather sensational "shotty",due the leany and rotty I had to contendy. I reckon somewhere in The Orient,there's still dudes wearing pajamas,sword fighting over the butt cut. Pardon horning you up,yet againy. Hint.

Keep citing your very WELL founded Insecurities and I'll happily fuel same,as you wax eloquent upon your Man Lust Fantasies. Hint.

Why would someone post pics of a tree on a shooting forum? Must be on the edge of loosing it.
Posted By: Swamplord Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/14/22
Originally Posted by irfubar

Oh sure.... every logging camp has a reloading setup...... wink

Oh I bet they do ... before the scamdemic my employer send me to Eielson Air Farts Base to build the new F35 Lightning ll hangars, in bum fucx North Pole, Alaska ..... I couldn't do it and caved in 3 months ....

Same thing the following year, went to build a hotel in Seward & that time brought the reloading gear & built me a reloading bench with jobsite material in the hotel room in that hotel in the harbor.. lmao !

....[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/14/22
Witness protection program?
Barely 28yrs ago and more than a "few" Camps after this frame. The press goes back 36yrs. Fhuqking Burris Posi-Lock,Sako 6PPC brass,AcraGlass and a re-wrapped Fenwick PacificStik. Hint. LAUGHING!

How could Whining CLUELESS Brokedicks,even begin to fhuqking fathom the magnitude,which is Legendary? Though they can conjure Man Lust Fantasies,as per whim and stay riveted...the "lucky" kchunts. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING1..............
Stick, I don't know anything about cutting trees or logging or anything, but do you have to have some sort of certification to do that? If so post it up, so I know you're not lying about that too!
Jane,

The only things funnier than your Wanton Man Lust Fantasies,are your Insecurities...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

LEGENDARY. Hint.

Keep extolling and I'll fuel 'em. Hint.

Posted By: rcamuglia Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/14/22
Barely 28yrs ago and more than a "few" Camps after this frame. The press goes back 36yrs. Fhuqking Burris Posi-Lock..

I had two Burris posi-locks. Biggest pos’s ever, as all Burris products are…
Hey Stick, I saw on that YouTube channel that the Ultimate Reloader is needing a camera guy. You can definitely take some pictures, but I think the draw back would be your ability to focus for more than two seconds at a time, and I kinda think your ability to process things is a tad bit off, but who knows might want to give it a try.
They wander,like a Mad Woman going to take a schit...no rhyme and assuredly no reason. Hint.

(5th) 257 Wby I had built here. Hint.

Jane,

You are sucking the wrong ass...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Keep extolling your Man Lust Fantasies and very WELL founded Insecurities and I'll simply fuel them. Hint.

Never cared to much for fish there Sticky. If you want to impress me, post up a shooting classification. Maybe even a qualification off from your DD 214, if your height or the don't ask don't tell policy wasn't in effect and kept you out of the service.
Jane,

What was I wearing,when you thought about me that time...you "lucky" kchunt? Hint. Congratulations?!?

Keep extolling your Man Lust Fantasies and very WELL founded Insecurities and I'll simply fuel them. Hint.

Posted By: johnn Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/14/22
Stick, did you ever work with Leon Evans?
Here ya go Sticky, I never ask you to post anything that I didn't myself. Don't want anyone to think that I was a internet windbag

Posted By: ClemB Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/14/22
Originally Posted by MAC

45-70 is not a big boy. You just showed me that you're not someone whose opinion or comments have much relevancy.
And this shows how much you know. I'm not talking whimpy 45-70 trapdoor loads. You can load some of today's rifles chambered in .45-70 up to almost .458 Win equivalency.
You give me a .45-70 like a Ruger #1 and the right bullets and I'll hunt anything in this world without of being under gunned.
Posted By: Rossimp Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/14/22
Hunting the world with a single shot 45-70 Gov would be quite difficult and your assessment that the 45-70 Gov is almost equivalent to the 458 Win Mag is magazine folklore.

With 24” barrels, even in a Ruger No. 1 using 500 gr loads at peak pressure you’ll spit it out at around 1,800 fps. Using peak pressure in a 458 Win Mag and RL7 powder you’ll top 2,200 fps. So no the 45-70 Gov is not in the same lane as a 458 Win Mag. Drop down to 400 gr loads and the 458 Win Mag will mop the floor with a 45-70 Gov by way of speed and spitzer bullet loads.
Posted By: UAE Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/14/22
Always a bunch of morons and web expert here !

BECAUSE The 7mm RMG is still the best 284 available ! very simple.

if you handload and your barrel is 25/26 inch you can launch a 160/170 grains BT at 3100fps without any problem.
a 175 grains at 3050/3080fps depending of your barrel.

Any big game hit from 0 to 600 yds will go down... the recoil is minimal, the blast is none, the accuracy is top notch, easy on barrel if you clean it and don't over heat it !

I found 25 inch barrel with the 7 RMG is the best length.

If the 7 RMG can't do the job any 300 won't ! if you need more you play in a different league. buy a 338 !

Morons buy ultra, mega, nosler new BS. Those [bleep] need a 27/28 inch barrel to really shy, are way overbore, burn barrel, recoil, swallow powder , the blast etc lots of trade off to gain only 100/150fps of velocity !

NO THANK YOU....
Posted By: Swamplord Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/14/22
Originally Posted by UAE
Always a bunch of morons and web expert here !

BECAUSE The 7mm RMG is still the best 284 available ! very simple.

if you handload and your barrel is 25/26 inch you can launch a 160/170 grains BT at 3100fps without any problem.
a 175 grains at 3050/3080fps depending of your barrel.

Any big game hit from 0 to 600 yds will go down... the recoil is minimal, the blast is none, the accuracy is top notch, easy on barrel if you clean it and don't over heat it !

I found 25 inch barrel with the 7 RMG is the best length.

If the 7 RMG can't do the job any 300 won't ! if you need more you play in a different league. buy a 338 !

Morons buy ultra, mega, nosler new BS. Those [bleep] need a 27/28 inch barrel to really shy, are way overbore, burn barrel, recoil, swallow powder , the blast etc lots of trade off to gain only 100/150fps of velocity !

NO THANK YOU....

holy smokes, just go ahead and tell everbody on a public forum about the frilly pink lace underwear you have on

keep it to yourself sissy

haaaaahahahaha
Posted By: MAC Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/14/22
Originally Posted by MAC

And this shows how much you know. I'm not talking whimpy 45-70 trapdoor loads. You can load some of today's rifles chambered in .45-70 up to almost .458 Win equivalency.
You give me a .45-70 like a Ruger #1 and the right bullets and I'll hunt anything in this world without of being under gunned.

I have hunted with the 458 Win Mag, the 458 Lott, the 416 Rigby, the 450 Rigby, the 450/400 Nitro Express and the 470 Nitro Express. The 45-70 is a child's gun which is why you use it.
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/14/22
Imagine how boring it would be if there was only one cartridge...
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/15/22
I had my fun with the 7MM RM, I thought it was more than I needed for deer but they did die well enough. I couldn't see any huge difference in killing power on elk over my 30-06 so I went on to the 300 Win mag odyssey. It was a fine elk killer and for some reason I felt better than either the 7MM and my 30-06. A bit more destructive mostly. Next up was a 338 Win mag. Took two elk with it and it did not do any better than the others and I went back to my 30-06. Nowadays we have multiple rifles for every situation and the need for a do it all rifle has subsided.
Posted By: Dre Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/15/22
IMO. The magnums are only good for shooting the heavier pills, And longer range. Let’s say Past 500 or 600 yards.
Example. My 270 win. with 140s at 3050 has very Similar ballistics to 7mag with 140.
The price difference in ammo, recoil and grains of powder is not really worth it with the lighter pills.

Most 270s don’t shoot 160 due to twist.so trying to compare them plus the difference in powder charge capacity is a moot point.
Posted By: Judman Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/15/22

Savvy that, so livin like a groid in the projects is nothing new. 👊🏻
Jane,

It's hardly a "confession",that you read me more than anyone else and ogle the Splendid Pixels as you "live" vicariously...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

If only because you've NO other "move". Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Ummmm, why did you even fuuck with that???? Haha

Maybe drive a good log into it next time and let it explode like it should have.. dummy 😂
Originally Posted by keith
I think that Stick should have his own Cable Channel, and skip writing a book!

Or maybe you should fly up and gargle his goat sack monthly??? 😂😂
Originally Posted by Jim270
Stick, I don't know anything about cutting trees or logging or anything, but do you have to have some sort of certification to do that? If so post it up, so I know you're not lying about that too!

Jim, only lazy bushelors got time to pose for pics. Real cutters, don’t worry bout packin a camera in their nose bag… hint 😆
Posted By: Seafire Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/15/22
Originally Posted by hanco
There are lots of 7 mag fans out there. I only have 5.

I have ONE.. but then ONE is all I really need, when I think I need to take a 7 Mag out in the field....
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/15/22
"Living" vicariously is a 24/7 fascination,for more than a few who can't begin to do for themselves. Hint.

Skill can't be purchased and they like to reiterate same,if only obliviously. Curiously enough,it took less than 20' of long butt to clear said Heartfelt Woes into High Grade and toss loot into the hat,at better than a $100 per hour rate in 15 bushel yield. It were an amazingly great shot,less an undercut and the video is rather spectacular...if only to the chagrin of the Minimum Wage Hair Net Crowd. Hint.

High stump here,to speed throwing scale in the hat and improving Grade. Hint.

That's no slight on The Peckerpole Princesses reeling Alders and the like,for Brokedick "wages". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!....................
Posted By: Seafire Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/15/22
Those must be old pics of Stumpy.... I mean his head doesn't look like a bowling ball yet, but certainly does nowadays...

I gotta admit also, anyone else know of someone that has more pics of himself, evidently taken by someone else that Schtick?

Gotta be a slow social schedule when your favorite pics are of yourself, much less on video...

one thing we all can agree upon...

Schtick ends many of his posts with "Fhuqking LAUGHING!............"

we'll concede Stumpy... we aren't laughing at you, Were laughing with you! whistle

it ain't easy being Schtick tho... when you hump a 5 ft chain saw and you're 4 ft 11.....with a lisp and you talk to yourself A LOT.... laugh
Shefire,

You yet again "forgot" about your Imaginary Pretend Ignore...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Pardon the profundity of my influence,upon your EVERY "move". Hint.

If only as per their always,The Pavement Pounding Pussies recite their WELL founded Insecurities. Hint.

Pardon reality. HINT.

They wander,like a Mad Woman going to take a schit...no rhyme and assuredly no reason. Hint.

(5th) 257 Wby I had built here. Hint.

Jane,

You are sucking the wrong ass...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Diggin the staged pic there hog neck!! Haha

Throw a couple old skull capped bucks in for good measure 🤣
"Living" vicariously is a 24/7 fascination,for more than a few who can't begin to do for themselves. Hint.

Skill can't be purchased and they like to reiterate same,if only obliviously. Curiously enough,it took less than 20' of long butt to clear said Heartfelt Woes into High Grade and toss loot into the hat,at better than a $100 per hour rate in 15 bushel yield. It were an amazingly great shot,less an undercut and the video is rather spectacular...if only to the chagrin of the Minimum Wage Hair Net Crowd. Hint.

High stump here,to speed throwing scale in the hat and improving Grade. Hint.

That's no slight on The Peckerpole Princesses reeling Alders and the like,for Brokedick "wages". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!....................

Oh don’t start about the $$ bacon throat, you’ve lived/raised kids in the Chicago equivalent of the “projects”. Congratulations money bags??? Haha
Few things as soothing,as Hurt Feeler Reports,read aloud in that High Pitched Crying Karen Nasal Whine...the "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

The "size" of their paychecks stings,more than a smidge too. Hint.

Haha, Ol bacon throat talkin $$$. Remember who’s on the sidelines crying like a bitch, as I’m gallivanting around all year. It sure don’t suck!!

PS, now’s when you swing for the fence, and talk about the imaginary “Pards” and their “ B&C seeking elds”!!!! Haha
Few things as soothing,as Hurt Feeler Reports,read aloud in that High Pitched Crying Karen Nasal Whine...the "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

The "size" of their paychecks stings,more than a smidge too. Hint.

Was that the trip that ruined coops huntin career? When you had to get rescued??? Haha

Fuucking laughing!!!

The "size" of their paychecks stings,more than a smidge too. At least she can "afford" to "live" vicariously. Hint.

Bacon throat, I’m collecting cans as I type this, so I can spend another 2 weeks here!!! Tough duty!! 😅😂

Kauai ain’t for everyone!! 👊🏻
Instant classic!!! Haha

You lying now, or ya lying then?? 😘

Perhaps cite how many times a day you think about me and the duration(s) of same,as you "live" vicariously? VERY "surprising!" that you and your ilk,steal my pictures,to embellish being you. Hint.

The "size" of their paychecks stings,more than a smidge too. At least she can "afford" to "live" vicariously. Hint.

Ooooops!!! Bacon throat!! 240 there, [bleep] shootin, shiitty skeelz!! Haha notice the big turrets!! 😂😂

My paychecks are small, back to collecting pop cans!!! 😂

Perhaps cite how many times a day you think about me and the duration(s) of same,as you "live" vicariously? VERY "surprising!" that you and your ilk,steal my pictures,to embellish being you. Hint.

Dig the generic bacon throat response to everyone. Haha

$$$ is so tight, we’ve resorted to this!!! 😘

The "size" of their paychecks stings,more than a smidge too. At least she can "afford" to "live" vicariously and wax eloquen upon her very WELL founded Insecurities. Hint.

Smoked springer here, so you and your dad Sitka dummy can bitch and moan in unison together… haha

Times are tight hog neck!!!! 😘

Perhaps cite how many times a day you think about me and the duration(s) of same,as you "live" vicariously? VERY "surprising!" that you and your ilk,steal my pictures,to embellish being you. Cameras are expensive,so they can't even "afford" that obstacle. Hint.

The "size" of their paychecks stings,more than a smidge too. At least she can "afford" to "live" vicariously and wax eloquent upon her very WELL founded Insecurities. Hint.

Fortunately,emoji's are free. Hint.

Posted By: johnn Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/15/22
This thread should be titled "repetition and retardation"..... hint
Joan,

What else could you "offer",other than a Whine,Hurt Feelers and your copious WELL founded Insecurities...you "lucky" kchunt? Hint. Congratulations?!?

Don't "forget",that Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery. Hint.

Posted By: rickt300 Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/15/22
How is it Stick that so many threads end up this way?
In that I'm the guy who actually shoots the wares discussed? Oh I'd say,"only" 100%. Hint.

But you "get" to read about it and gawk the Splendid Pixels. Hint..............
Hey bacon throat, this is the “hunting rifle” sub-forum. That ship sailed for you once you went to man camp, and can’t bend over to tie your shoes anymore😘
I do love the “FREE” emoji’s, that’s all I can afford haha
Posted By: johnn Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/15/22
Originally Posted by rickt300

Pretty obvious stickbug Is the common denominator, starved for attention. so it seems, hint..

Perhaps cite how many times a day you think about me and the duration(s) of same,as you "live" vicariously? VERY "surprising!" that you and your ilk,steal my pictures,to embellish being you. Cameras are expensive,so they can't even "afford" that obstacle. Hint.

The "size" of their paychecks stings,more than a smidge too. At least she can "afford" to "live" vicariously and wax eloquent upon her very WELL founded Insecurities. Hint.

Fortunately,emoji's are free. Hint.

Pardon the 7mm RemMag here. Hint.

Posted By: KenMi Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/15/22
Cause he f's up anything he touches and tries to get all the attention on himself.

That's why he loves the ignore feature so much. Lol

All the laffin is laffin right back with a screen unpolluted by BS
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/16/22
KenBitchagain,

There's zero need for you to cite,that besides being a Drooling CLUELESS Fhuqk,that you just also "happen" to be a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Pardon wares that exist ladies. 7mm RemMag here. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................
Posted By: johnn Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/16/22
Just like the sign at the zoo, dont feed the animals. Hint

No doubt bugstick will not be able to keep from replying... hint
Joan,

It's fascinatingly HILARIOUS,that no matter the topic,you are a Professional Victim...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Pardon the profundity of my powers,controlling your EVERY thought and move. Hint.

7mm RemMag here. Hint.

Pardon wares that exist,despit it being so very "unfair" to you Whining CLUELESS Kchunts. Hint.

Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/16/22
Why the 7RM?

For me it was simplest way to launch the 180 ELD-M over 2900 FPS and still be able to use "relatively available" factory ammo if desired.

(20mph@3o'clock@700yards- - >>>1.5 mils)

Is that okay?
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/16/22
Originally Posted by johnn
Originally Posted by rickt300

Pretty obvious stickbug Is the common denominator, starved for attention. so it seems, hint..

Actually the common denominator is the abundance of clueless idiots posting on the CF that need “direction”
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/16/22
Napoleon Complex sometimes drives shorter men to prove that they are as manly as any other taller, more normal sized men. Short, smaller males having short man (little man's, Napoleon) syndrome are likely to be:

Aggressive
Talk loudly/mouthy
Shout
Eager to prove themselves
Seeking attention
quarrelsome
belligerent
Jealous
continually attempting to overcome insecurities
Everything is bigger in Texas,especially the Whine...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

7mm RemMag here. Hint.

Pardon wares that exist,despite it being so very "unfair" to you Whining CLUELESS Kchunts. Hint.

Posted By: 2500HD Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/16/22
180 eldm’s are no where to be found. How are the 180 Scenar-L. I have couple hundred. Will a factory 700 7 mag stabilize them?
The 180 Skinner is rugged,though of less length/BC and greater bearing surface,as compared to the .796 BC Hornie. They are easily stabilized,in said platform,due same. Hint.

Their .661 BC,is lesser than the 162 ELD M's .670. Hint..............
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/16/22
I would think so. Mine is a factory barrel and it stabilizes the ELD-M
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/17/22
I like the 7 Mag.... I have a pretty nice custom Mauser in 7 Mag.

'course , I lke 'em all.

Great Big F U C K I N G HINT!
Posted By: beretzs Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/20/22
Originally Posted by 257Bob
A perennial favorite...Win 70, Shilen @ 24", Brown Precision Stock, Ziess Divari

That’s my kinda killer. Very nice.

Nice buck as well!
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/20/22
Tikka 695/ 160 Partitions work pretty good.....

Posted By: beretzs Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/20/22
Awesome buck JG.

Nothing much under the Sun that combo won’t do nice.
Posted By: hanco Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/20/22
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Tikka 695/ 160 Partitions work pretty good.....

Wow
Wow for sure.
Posted By: Scout308 Re: Why the 7mm Rem Mag? - 10/22/22
I have one I want to get rid of.
© 24hourcampfire