Home
Posted By: DrDeath Norma ammo - 10/16/22
Is Norma 308/&30/06 ammo gtg? Their bond strike and whitetail ammo???
Posted By: jimdgc Re: Norma ammo - 10/16/22
The 150 gr .308 Win Whitetail ammo shot well in my rifle and velocity was as stated on the box. Their cheaper .308 150 gr ammo did not do as well and was about 150 fps slower than indicated.
Posted By: DrDeath Re: Norma ammo - 10/16/22
Is this polymer tip bondstrike stuff any good?
Posted By: clockwork_7mm Re: Norma ammo - 10/16/22
Are you asking specifically about the bullet or overall performance?
Posted By: DrDeath Re: Norma ammo - 10/16/22
Overall performance
Posted By: geedubya Re: Norma ammo - 10/16/22
For years I almost exclusively shot my own hand rolled..

Recently was given some boxes of several different factory 308 150gr ammo.

I found that the Sig loved the Norma 150 gr. soft points.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I was able to procure about 20 boxes @ +/- $15 shipped so I did.

Due to the Texas heat, the last few months I've hunted at night only, using either my Browning Hunter with NV or the Suppressed Sig.

I've now taken a dozen or so good boars in the last couple months with the Norma Ammo. Only one has taken a step, after being hit.

Being as I am now 70 and a low volume shooter the Norma 308 ammo will be the ammo I use from here on out!

YMMV
Posted By: Jericho Re: Norma ammo - 10/16/22
Coworker uses Norma ammunition in his 25-06 and stopped using everything else
Posted By: Petro Re: Norma ammo - 10/18/22
The 150 grain 308 Win ammo with the elk on the box was used by my best friend two weeks ago on a medium sized bull elk. Took on front shoulder, found under skin on offside shoulder. Took 2 steps and down. Distance was 200 yards.

I will try to upload the photo of the recovered bullet. Made a believer out of me.

Better weight retention than the 270 Win 150 gr Accubond LR that my other friend shot a big cow with simultaneously at the same distance.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Posted By: strat1080 Re: Norma ammo - 10/18/22
The 150 gr Whitetail load in 300 WM shot lights out for me.
Posted By: OGB Re: Norma ammo - 10/18/22
It's my understanding that the 308, 150s with the "elk" box are oryx bullets.

That may not be right but it's what I read somewhere.
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: Norma ammo - 10/19/22
308 Whitetail ammo is sub-moa in my 18" BAR.
Posted By: Jpterry Re: Norma ammo - 10/19/22
Haven't taken any game but the 300wsm bondstrike shot less than 1/2" in my Win 70 NH CRF rifle. It's bonded and expansion tests online look very good.
Posted By: Petro Re: Norma ammo - 10/19/22
OGB, that’s what I understand, too. Would believe based on performance on that elk.
Posted By: tbear99 Re: Norma ammo - 10/19/22
i'm running the oryx bullet this year in my 308 norma mag which performs great i want to try the bodstrike next year it does print very well in both my rifles have thought of buying a couple hunting buddies the bondstrike factory ammo to be able to see performance
Posted By: clockwork_7mm Re: Norma ammo - 10/19/22
Running the 156 Oryx in my 280 this deer season. 3/4" groups. Bought 3 boxes a while back on super clearance and now KICKING myself for not getting more. Appears to be all gone.
Posted By: Bill_N Re: Norma ammo - 10/19/22
The 180 Bondstrike shoots lights out in my Sako 300 wsm. I bought a box to try but grabbed 5 more after shooting it. I'm try it on deer this fall and next year it will be going elk hunting.
Posted By: WiFowler Re: Norma ammo - 10/19/22
Originally Posted by Bill_N
The 180 Bondstrike shoots lights out in my Sako 300 wsm. I bought a box to try but grabbed 5 more after shooting it. I'm try it on deer this fall and next year it will be going elk hunting.

Ditto on the 180gr Bondstrike in the 300WSM, save for the fact the my 300WSM is a CA Ridgeline FFT.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Norma ammo - 10/19/22
While fire forming Norma .243 ammo I was getting 3/4" or better groups. I found Norma brass has weak primer pockets if your going to hotrod loads.
Posted By: Boxerdog Re: Norma ammo - 10/19/22
Smoked a boar hog last year with a .308 150 grain whitetail and it was an instant drt.
Posted By: ExpatFromOK Re: Norma ammo - 10/20/22
The Norma Whitetail 140 6.5 CM shoots extremely well for me. The same for the 180 Bondstrike .30-06. I will try the Bondstrike 180 load in my .308 in the off season.

Expat
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Norma ammo - 10/20/22
I bought several boxes of Norma 165g 30-06 loads a few years ago. They proved as accurate as anything in my 06 and did as well as anything else on a whitetail doe.
Posted By: MAC Re: Norma ammo - 10/20/22
I bought a couple of boxes of the Norma Whitetail with the 150 gr bullet for my 308. It is a sub MOA load in my rifle. Haven't used it on game since I shoot handloads for the most part. I picked up the ammo during the pandemic so I could hunt if I ran out of components so for me it is simply fall back ammo. The best load I have with my 308 is with Barnes 130 gr TTSX and Varget powder and as long as I can get the components I'll hunt with those.
Posted By: DrDeath Re: Norma ammo - 10/22/22
Norma makes two 308cal-180g bondstrike -

#1- https://normashooting.com/shop/cali...ded-polymer-tip-norma-bondstrike-qty-20/

#2- https://normashooting.com/shop/cali...d-polymer-tip-norma-bondstrike-qty-20-2/

They both read and look the same. Can anyone tell me the difference???
Posted By: clockwork_7mm Re: Norma ammo - 10/22/22
Originally Posted by DrDeath

#1- https://normashooting.com/shop/cali...ded-polymer-tip-norma-bondstrike-qty-20/

#2- https://normashooting.com/shop/cali...d-polymer-tip-norma-bondstrike-qty-20-2/

Looks like no difference other than one sporting the new box design?
Posted By: DrDeath Re: Norma ammo - 10/22/22
I have no idea. And one is cheaper
Posted By: clockwork_7mm Re: Norma ammo - 10/22/22
I have no idea. And one is cheaper
Maybe the blue ink is more expensive 😇😂
Posted By: tbear99 Re: Norma ammo - 10/22/22
not sure the difference i ordered 4 boxes of the cheaper to see how they work on whitetail
Posted By: DrDeath Re: Norma ammo - 10/25/22

Even the specs are the same
Posted By: lima1seven Re: Norma ammo - 10/25/22
Shot some 6.5 cm whitetail from a savage 110 light weight storm seemed to shoot it well. Looked Moa or better at 100 yards.

Switched over to Bond strike in the seven mag as I didn’t like the performance of Hornady precision hunter only fired one shot at a 5 x 5 elk and it dropped in its tracks at 275 yards. Its accuracy in my tikka super light was definitely sub MOA and just as accurate as Hornady precision hunter if not better.

The 30-06 bond strike also shot well in my custom rifle. If I can’t find 150 ttsx I’ll definitely be switching over.
Posted By: DrDeath Re: Norma ammo - 10/25/22

Ok. From NORMA customer service. These are both the same. Buy the cheaper one.
Posted By: ringworm Re: Norma ammo - 10/26/22
DIDNT norma load Weatherbys stuff for decades?
We sell a lot at the shop and offer a $10 buy back on the brass.
Much to be said about a company from a county that requires a marksmanship test before issuing hunting tags.

Precision Shooting

In precision shooting, the sampler's ability to shoot two tight match pictures of four shots each is examined. The first shooting series the sampler will shoot from a shooting bench with good support and the other series is shot knee standing or sitting down. Shooting distance should be 80 meters.

To pass requires the bullet holes in each series are fully covered by a circular result image templates.

Series shot from shooting bench may have up to 12 cm spread.

Series shot knee standing or sitting down may have at most 17 cm spread.
If only one series is approved, the test is failed.

Practical big game rifle test
The practical big game rifle includes -

1. Shooting at a stationary moosefigure/target
2.Shooting at running moosefigure/target

Shooting distance is 80 meters.

At the time of the test the sampler may shoot a maximum of 9 series. One series consist of 4 shots, 2 shots at stationary and 2 shots at running target. For series to be approved, all 4 shots should be placed in the result field on the moosefigure/target.
Of these 9 series, at least 3 series must be approved for the test to be approved.

Swedish hunting examination
Posted By: T Bone Re: Norma ammo - 11/02/22
Just returned from elk hunting. My rifle of choice this year is a Christensen CA10 in .308 with 24" barrel. It shoots the cheap Norma Whitrtail 150 grain very well.

Raghorn 5x5 at 520 yards. Three shots in the chest. It was dead on it's feet after the first shot, and it never took a step, but I keep shooting until they are down. None of the bullets exited. No bullets recovered.

Small cow at 310 yards. One shot behind shoulder. She ran 50 yards straight down hill and crashed. No exit. No bullet recovered.

Seems like great ammo!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DrDeath Re: Norma ammo - 11/02/22
Nice work. No bullets recovered?? Better watch when you eat that meat.
Posted By: JDK Re: Norma ammo - 11/02/22
Well it saddens me to write this

I bought a bunch for my 308, 30-06 , and 300 Weatherby

My Sako is what I’d call ammo picky. What it likes it really likes and what it hates it hates. 2 1/2 to 3 inch groups at 100 with Whitetail in 150s

My Savage is not picky at all. Shoots most factory under 1 1/2 inches and Federal Blue Bix below MOA. With the Norma I was getting 2-3 inch groups at 100 and had several groups that were a little worse than that

My 7600 is a consistent 1 1/2 inch shooter with every 150 and 165 grain load I have tried. 180s are much better. Norma Whitetail was 3+ inches

I bought 4 boxes of Norma Big Game for the 300. It is 180 Oryx. Sub MOA with that ammo and in most cases, 3 shots touching.

I gave my son the 308 and 30-06 ammo and both are very accurate in his Tikka and Remington pump. I’m snakebitten I guess when it comes to Norma in standard calibers
Posted By: 30338 Re: Norma ammo - 11/02/22
Originally Posted by T Bone
Just returned from elk hunting. My rifle of choice this year is a Christensen CA10 in .308 with 24" barrel. It shoots the cheap Norma Whitrtail 150 grain very well.

Raghorn 5x5 at 520 yards. Three shots in the chest. It was dead on it's feet after the first shot, and it never took a step, but I keep shooting until they are down. None of the bullets exited. No bullets recovered.

Small cow at 310 yards. One shot behind shoulder. She ran 50 yards straight down hill and crashed. No exit. No bullet recovered.

Seems like great ammo!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice shooting T Bone. I love that size bull for eating.
Posted By: devnull Re: Norma ammo - 11/02/22
Originally Posted by OGB
It's my understanding that the 308, 150s with the "elk" box are oryx bullets.

That may not be right but it's what I read somewhere.

I bought several boxes of this last summer when Palmetto had it for $15/box. I too had read the same thing. However, I'm not convinced that's the case and there is nothing on Norma's site to say they produce a 150 gr Oryx bullet. I reached out to them and the person on the phone couldn't answer the question. Either it's a best kept secret or that;s not the case. I'd like to know myself.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Norma ammo - 11/02/22
Originally Posted by 30338
Originally Posted by T Bone

Seems like great ammo!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice shooting T Bone. I love that size bull for eating.

Yeah buddy, way to go! That’s the way to get after them!
Posted By: troutslayer Re: Norma ammo - 11/02/22
I just shot some 150 gr Norma 308 Whitetail out of my Bergara Premier Mountain Rifle. Less than a 1" group at 200 yards. It was more accurate than the Federal Premium 150 Partitions ammo was, although not by a whole lot.
Posted By: Bill_N Re: Norma ammo - 11/26/22
I shot a fat forkhorn whitetail the first week of November with my 300 WSM shooting the 180 Bondstrikes. Range was around 100 yards angling away from me walking. Hit him on the point of the shoulder and exited the neck. A little further forward than I wanted but dead on the spot. Lost most of the meat on the neck but not unexpected. 1" hole on exit.
Wanted to try them out since I'm planning on using them next fall on elk.
Posted By: RSherburne Re: Norma ammo - 11/26/22
Not sure about their Whitetail load but that Oryz bullet is darn sure nice. Hit a small whitetali buck with a 156g Oryx from my 6.5 Swede at a bit over 100 yds broadside. Hit was just behind point of shoulder. He dropped, kicked once and was dead. never seen any animal go down that hard. Entire chest cavity looked like a blender had been used on it. Gonna keep using it.

RAS
Posted By: DrDeath Re: Norma ammo - 11/26/22
Any 180g kills out there ?
https://normashooting.com/shop/cali...ded-polymer-tip-norma-bondstrike-qty-20/
Posted By: brassloader Re: Norma ammo - 11/27/22
The 180 Bondstrike shot almost 200 fps slower than advertised in my NULA 30-06 with 24 inch barrel and was not as accurate as Nosler or Federal.Nosler 180 Accubond velocity was right on as advertised and was very accurate in my rifle.
Posted By: drop_point Re: Norma ammo - 11/27/22
The Norma Whitetail .308 Winchester has been good to me.
© 24hourcampfire