Home
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Another Sako thread - 10/21/22
I just picked up my first Sako today. A NOS Sako 85 Classic chambered in .308 Win.[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: rgrx1276 Re: Another Sako thread - 10/21/22
Classy....Great caliber too.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Another Sako thread - 10/22/22
Hopefully it will eject correctly. Beautiful though.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Another Sako thread - 10/22/22
Originally Posted by Fotis

Exactly what I was thinking.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Another Sako thread - 10/22/22
While there are some Sako guys around….

Looking at a Sako Forester chambered in 222 Mag.
What years were these made in that chambering? I haven’t been able to dig up much info.
Posted By: boatammo Re: Another Sako thread - 10/22/22
Very nice
Posted By: boatanchor Re: Another Sako thread - 10/22/22
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

What years were these made in that chambering? I haven’t been able to dig up much info.

The only Sako Forester that I own was given to me by my father in 1976
Posted By: fshaw Re: Another Sako thread - 10/22/22

Foresters are the medium length action for chamberings like .243, .308, etc. and were not chambered in .222Mag. The short action chambered in .222, .222Mag, .223 etc. was the Vixen.

One man’s opinion but I think the Sako Vixen actions are likely the most beautiful bolt action ever produced. If the price on the one you are looking at is reasonable and the rifle is in nice shape, you won’t be disappointed.

Don’t know the years produced. There’s a Sako Collectors forum that has a lot of information.

Good luck.

Frank
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Another Sako thread - 10/22/22
Originally Posted by fshaw

Foresters are the medium length action for chamberings like .243, .308, etc. and were not chambered in .222Mag. The short action chambered in .222, .222Mag, .223 etc. was the Vixen.

One man’s opinion but I think the Sako Vixen actions are likely the most beautiful bolt action ever produced. If the price on the one you are looking at is reasonable and the rifle is in nice shape, you won’t be disappointed.

Don’t know the years produced. There’s a Sako Collectors forum that has a lot of information.

Good luck.

Frank

And that’s the info I found, but the rifle says Forester and the stamping identifying the 222 Mag cartridge appears to be factory style stamping and lettering.

And I agree it’s a gorgeous rifle design.
Posted By: Northman Re: Another Sako thread - 10/22/22
With such a nice stock, even I would have bought it!! smile

1" Sako Ringmounts and a Leupold 6x42.

Perfection!

Posted By: hanco Re: Another Sako thread - 10/22/22
Shrap probably knows the answer to this question.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Another Sako thread - 10/22/22

All of mine do, eject just fine.
A friend had two Sakos that pulled the case out of the chamber, but dropped it on the magazine follower. Come to find out, the rifle was trying to eject the case, but the case was hitting the scope and bouncing back on to the magazine follower. Mounting the scope a bit higher cured it.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Another Sako thread - 10/22/22
Originally Posted by dale06

A friend had two Sakos that pulled the case out of the chamber, but dropped it on the magazine follower. Come to find out, the rifle was trying to eject the case, but the case was hitting the scope and bouncing back on to the magazine follower. Mounting the scope a bit higher cured it.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: UpThePole Re: Another Sako thread - 10/22/22
Must hold it's zero great.

S&L M54s have the same issue.

Much better fix.

I haven’t had a chance to go to the range yet. Hopefully all is good. From what I have read most of the 85’s that had the ejection issue with brass hitting the scope and bouncing back down were in long action models.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Another Sako thread - 10/22/22
I bought an 85 and 7 mm Remington Magnum. I tried the vortex razor lht 3 to 15 I tried also a zeiss and no dice. it would hit the scope and come back in the follower. Finally I bought a Burris full field e-1 4.5- 14 and I played with the mounting length back and forth and now it does not hit anything. Good set it and forget of scope but I wish I could have had something more elite of this fine rifle
Posted By: Whokalouie Re: Another Sako thread - 10/22/22
Originally Posted by fshaw

Good luck.

Frank
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

What I was going to say is what Frank already said. I bought my Sako Vixen 222 in the late 50's, a couple years later a Sako Forester 244. The Vixen has a safety that pivots, the Forester a slide. I have not shot the 222 since the 70's or the 244 since the 90's. Too old and geed up to get after the coyotes.
Both rifles are tack drivers and you can't go wrong with an old Sako.

Whokalouie
Posted By: jc189 Re: Another Sako thread - 10/22/22
I have a Sako 85 in 260. I have had zero problems ejecting an empty case. I have a Leupold scope on it with low rings. Maybe its just the long actions that eject the empty into the scope. But it has never happened to mine. Its one of my favorite rifles.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Another Sako thread - 10/23/22
Thanks fshaw and Whoka! I'm going to bring somebody more knowledgeable with Sakos with and take another look at the rifle.
Posted By: DrDeath Re: Another Sako thread - 10/23/22
Do Sako’s have ejection problems?? Looking at a S20.
Posted By: boatanchor Re: Another Sako thread - 10/23/22
Originally Posted by DrDeath
Do Sako’s have ejection problems?? Looking at a S20.

The ejection issues were limited to some of the 85's, the older model's were stellar as is the S20.
would not hesitate to buy an S20
Posted By: Bill_N Re: Another Sako thread - 10/24/22

No ejection issues with short action 85’s that I’ve seen ..
Posted By: DW12 Re: Another Sako thread - 10/30/22
Zero ejection issues with the S20.
I have one in 6.5 PRC …. runs very well.

I did have a 85 in ‘06 and it too was excellent but, it did drop cases back into the magazine.
I acquired a Near Manufacture scope rail for that 85 and it did help to improve that fault … but not enough to suite my self.

Sir you would be better finding a older Sako.
I understand Sako is dropping the 85 line.

The S20 line while unconventional are very good.

Good shooting
Posted By: hanco Re: Another Sako thread - 10/30/22
I’ve never had one that wasn’t very accurate
Posted By: RickinTN Re: Another Sako thread - 10/30/22
Originally Posted by hanco
I’ve never had one that wasn’t very accurate

Out of my several Sako's I haven't either. My newest are AV's, A1's, A lonely AII, and an AIII I have for sale. They all shoot very well.
Take care,
Rick
Posted By: Whokalouie Re: Another Sako thread - 11/11/22
I think the Sako Vixen not the Forester was in 222.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Another Sako thread - 11/11/22
You racist bass-tid !!

How dare you…. It’s a short action… get with it boy.

Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Another Sako thread - 11/11/22
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
I just picked up my first Sako today. A NOS Sako 85 Classic chambered in .308 Win.

You will fall in love with that gun & cartridge!

I have the 85 Finnlight in both the 300 WSM & 308 Winchester. They both eject properly when you rack the bolt properly. And, if you rack the bolt slowly, it will drop the case right back in the action for easy retrieval, just the way a reloader wants it. I prefer guns that don't shuck brass into the next county.
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: Another Sako thread - 11/12/22
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by dale06

If I had to mount a scope like that on a buitiful sako I would be pissed
© 24hourcampfire