Home
Posted By: jackmountain Redundant calibers - 01/02/23
Im sure it’s nothing compared to some guys, but just realized how many redundant calibers I own.
17-.22lr’s
6-.223’s
2-.243’s
2-.7-08’s and a third coming
2- .308’s
4-.30-06’s
4-12ga’s
2-20ga’s
2-410ga’s
4-9mm’s
2-.45acp’s
2-.38spcl’s
4-.50cal ML’s.

I really need to just sell a bunch of scheit and get back to a working battery of rifles.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Redundant calibers - 01/02/23
I have 54 .22 rifles, including 19 10/22s. My Wife says that I'm a maximalist.
I thought this would be a 308 vs 30-06 type thread, now I know why I couldn't find any 22lr ammo for a while...
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Redundant calibers - 01/02/23
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

I don’t feel bad anymore.
Posted By: WMR Re: Redundant calibers - 01/02/23

👍
Posted By: WMR Re: Redundant calibers - 01/02/23
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Im sure it’s nothing compared to some guys, but just realized how many redundant calibers I own.
17-.22lr’s
6-.223’s
2-.243’s
2- .308’s
4-.30-06’s
4-12ga’s
2-20ga’s
2-410ga’s
4-9mm’s
2-.45acp’s
2-.38spcl’s
4-.50cal ML’s.

I really need to just sell a bunch of scheit and get back to a working battery of rifles.

Good luck with that. I’ve been making a sincere effort to do that very thing and it seems l’m losing ground. 🤔
Posted By: Longbob Re: Redundant calibers - 01/02/23

I don’t feel bad anymore.

This made me laugh. I don't feel bad now.
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: Redundant calibers - 01/02/23
17-.22lr’s
6-.223’s
2-.243’s
2- .308’s
4-.30-06’s
4-12ga’s
2-20ga’s
2-410ga’s
4-9mm’s
2-.45acp’s
2-.38spcl’s
4-.50cal ML’s.

Well first off you need to understand that caliber refers just to the diameter of the bullet.

Cartridge combines both the caliber and the casing of the firearm.

Then you need to start hunting to learn what is a "working" rifle.

Don't worry, Blondie, we are here to help.
Posted By: Coyote10 Re: Redundant calibers - 01/02/23
Few more '06's and you'd be set.
Nice collection.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Redundant calibers - 01/02/23
17-.22lr’s
6-.223’s
2-.243’s
2- .308’s
4-.30-06’s
4-12ga’s
2-20ga’s
2-410ga’s
4-9mm’s
2-.45acp’s
2-.38spcl’s
4-.50cal ML’s.

Well jackmountain nothing personal but you don't have jack [bleep]. Had that much by 35 your list is of a minimalist...mb
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: Redundant calibers - 01/02/23
I need to show this thread to my wife. I'm way behind or way ahead depending on how you look at it.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Redundant calibers - 01/02/23
I'm wondering why have so many? Been selling a few at a time for a few months now. Feels better to have fewer. Really. Might sell enough to move a safe out to the T1-11 shop.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Redundant calibers - 01/02/23
Some. The worst is 7mag.
Not because there are 3.
But that one has been mine for 18 years and never fired.
Another is....Lefty! Came in a package deal never left.
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Redundant calibers - 01/02/23
I figure Jackmountain is pretty young. I know that I am still not in my prime and I only have 9 06s. However, last year I added two 348 winchesters, 1 458 Win, 5 30-30s, 1- 30 government06, 1 32 win special, 1 32-40, 2 25-20s, 1 303 Savage, 1 300 Weatherby, 3 300 Winchesters, 1 7 Rem, 1 44 Mag revolver, 1-45 Colt revolver, 1 -22 Lr revolver and a stoeger 12 gauge sg. I need to firm up my varmint rifles and I still don't have a 9.3X62 or 9.3X57 so I figure I am still in the starter set. However, it starts getting harder to move them. I am going to be working on many turn of the century rifles this year.
Posted By: 8SNAKE Re: Redundant calibers - 01/02/23
These dick measuring contests are always entertaining. The biggest ones rarely get whipped out because they don't feel the need to be on display. They just are.
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Redundant calibers - 01/02/23
3...3006s
3....308s

And since i starting using a 6.5 prc....the above spend a lot of time just sitting. There is absolutely no drama using hornady 6.5 prc pro hunter 143 gr.......everything drops just like Newton's law says it will.
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE
These dick measuring contests are always entertaining. The biggest ones rarely get whipped out because they don't feel the need to be on display. They just are.

Was never intended to be one
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
17-.22lr’s
6-.223’s
2-.243’s
2- .308’s
4-.30-06’s
4-12ga’s
2-20ga’s
2-410ga’s
4-9mm’s
2-.45acp’s
2-.38spcl’s
4-.50cal ML’s.

Well first off you need to understand that caliber refers just to the diameter of the bullet.

Cartridge combines both the caliber and the casing of the firearm.

Then you need to start hunting to learn what is a "working" rifle.

Don't worry, Blondie, we are here to help.

You’re a valued resource.
Posted By: 2500HD Re: Redundant calibers - 01/02/23
I told my wife I had to make a moral decision a long time ago. One woman and a bunch of guns or one gun and a bunch of women. She walked away saying what ever but she had a smile on her face. She knew she was the one!!!
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Redundant calibers - 01/02/23

I am no longer self conscious about my 6 10/22’s…..
Posted By: hikerbum Re: Redundant calibers - 01/02/23

Lol
Posted By: baldhunter Re: Redundant calibers - 01/02/23
4 - .22lr
3 - 7mags
3 - 308 Win
4 - 30-06
2 - 308 Norma Mag
4 - 300 Win Mag

At least many of them can shoot the same bullets and powders.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Redundant calibers - 01/02/23

No, the biggest dicks are normally on full display here at the Campfire
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Redundant calibers - 01/02/23
I don't understand the why behind any of this.
Posted By: hanco Re: Redundant calibers - 01/02/23
I have multiples of several calibers. It doesn’t bother me. I like 7 mags and 30-06’s.
Posted By: ldmay375 Re: Redundant calibers - 01/02/23
Originally Posted by baldhunter
4 - .22lr
3 - 7mags
3 - 308 Win
4 - 30-06
2 - 308 Norma Mag
4 - 300 Win Mag

At least many of them can shoot the same bullets and powders.

That is a plus in my opinion. I definitely don't have objections to multiples in the same caliber and/or the same cartridge.
Posted By: Stammster Re: Redundant calibers - 01/02/23
I used to have a nice collection before the boating accident.

Attached picture 7C6D0C47-6C1F-4631-B5F9-B999D5155B43.jpeg
Posted By: justin10mm Re: Redundant calibers - 01/02/23
One is none and two is one.

If you find something you like you should have a spare.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Redundant calibers - 01/02/23
17-.22lr’s
6-.223’s
2-.243’s
2- .308’s
4-.30-06’s
4-12ga’s
2-20ga’s
2-410ga’s
4-9mm’s
2-.45acp’s
2-.38spcl’s
4-.50cal ML’s.

A little light on 30-06’s.
Posted By: Stammster Re: Redundant calibers - 01/02/23
11 - 6.5 CM
+ 12 pairs of Crocs and
1 awesome man bun.
Posted By: Dre Re: Redundant calibers - 01/02/23
Originally Posted by moosemike

I’m with Mikes thinking the smallest ones are trying to prove how big they are. Such loosers like, Big stick which in reality means tiny nub
Posted By: Fotis Re: Redundant calibers - 01/02/23
A few 223's. And a few 22 lr's. That's it. Everything else is different.
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: Redundant calibers - 01/02/23
Originally Posted by Stammster
11 - 6.5 CM
+ 12 pairs of Crocs and
1 awesome man bun.

Skinny jeans with fancy stitching on the pockets?
Not one person willing to claim multiple .270’s…..
Originally Posted by Dre

I’m with Mikes thinking the smallest ones are trying to prove how big they are. Such loosers like, Big stick which in reality means tiny nub

Voted for Obama^^
Laffin’
I have three.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Redundant calibers - 01/02/23
Only multiples I have are 22LR, 223.

Even w different cartridges in different calibers I have too much overlap.

Just more material objects to work around or for someone else to have to deal with should something happen to me.

Need to give a few away and send some down the river.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Redundant calibers - 01/02/23
I have 2-.270 Winchesters, a .270 Weatherby and the wildcat .270 Ingwe. smile
Posted By: beretzs Re: Redundant calibers - 01/02/23

2….. I’m okay with myself most days….

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

3 if you count my dirty old WSM…

Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Redundant calibers - 01/02/23
You are correct 8. I however take pride in the fact that mine (gun collection that is) is not as large as many on this forum.
My friend just sold 250 of his Remingtons at auction. That was his third big sale. He had sold his Winchesters in another sale and his Smith and Wessons in the third sale.

I could not keep up with him. But I might have as many as he has left.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Redundant calibers - 01/02/23
Used to think it dumb to have redundancy.

Being a terribly tight àss, I consider the cost of brass and dies in any gun
purchase. That encourages redundancy.

Used to figure $100 to load a new round. $30 for dies $30 for 100 casesand a bit over $40 for bullets and a pound of powder. Primers were inconsequential.☹️☹️☹️

That's all changed.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Redundant calibers - 01/02/23
You will miss them if you sell. I have a reason for owning what I do. Maybe I no longer have that reason, but I have the gun. I am leaving mine to family and gun loving kids I had in school. Nice feeling.
Posted By: Gaschekt Re: Redundant calibers - 01/02/23
I have different sights on them so they aren't redundant. Max before redundancy is three. One for irons, one for peep, and one scope model
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Redundant calibers - 01/02/23
All I can say is right now the price is good and a lot of people are bringing multiple generational guns in. Estate sales are good right now. There may be less demand for guns right now with our present SCOTUS but there are socio/political/economic storm clouds about 15-20 miles out. I don't think that they ever will try to confiscate guns like in other places but it will get extremely hard to purchase guns and components. The Millenials and Z Generation are not robust and don't value American Values; Our great nation is swirling around the bowl in a downward flush. I may not live through the reckoning but my people will say that crazy guy knew what the heck we were headed for and planned. I think that is why I am more oriented towards old rifles that could use hardcast bullets made from battery lead. I will just try to imagine what those Ching Chong Charlies say when they face a bunch of old lever rifles poking out of brush, tree branches and other terrain. You would find me just as prepared with other prepper things. At the same time, I am a bit of a romantic. I can easily fall in love with a rifle that feels right and has the right vibe. I get in trouble with them. However, I would rather get in trouble trying to sneak the last one down into my gun room then get caught in bed with some barroom floozy that I met online and had to get drinking to make presentable. I am happy with my domestic situation, I have a bit of discretionary surplus, and the children of the Greatest generation are selling the greatest guns our great nation has produced. I have a friend who makes custom rifles. He has a sweet deal with gunwerks and has a couple of those as well as his own creations which are highly vaulted in sheephunting circles. This year he has purchased 11 Pre-64 Winchesters. I was looking at one this weekend. It was a PreWar 35 Remington that some idjut rechambered to 35 Whelen. It has little for pure collector value and he purchased it for 800.00. But it feels right. He is going to work it over as a guide gun with cerracoate and find the necessary screws and skim bed it. To me, this is of value.

I went to 30/06 from magnums because I noticed how much cheaper brass was for the said rifles. You can buy a crap ton of brass for a 270 Win for the same price as just 1 box of 26 Nosler. I am not a long range hunter. I like the concept but I get the most pleasure out of hunting in getting from that 1000 yard distance to 200 yards and a slam dunk. It is the sneaking that I enjoy even over cooking up the meat. I think that there is a lot of wisdom when you find a couple of calibers that you can use multiples of different types of rifles that can work in different environments.

I have also noted that many times guns in strange calibers like 348, 350 Rem Mag, 8 Rem Mag, 28 Nosler are not shot as much as guns in other calibers and are in better condition. This now appeals to me.

I always like being the guy who pulls up to the public range in an older black Rav-4 toyota while everybody else has 70K diesel monsters and pull out 10 different guns that are each nicer and many times a lot more accurate than every other gun on the range. It just gives me a special kind of satisfaction. It probably is a Christian sin to be prideful but damn it feels good to be a gangster. I would rather buy and trade and collect guns than sports cards or cars. To me they give a special satisfaction. So call me what you want, I am happier than a pig in a mudhole.
Posted By: AK375DGR Re: Redundant calibers - 01/02/23
Originally Posted by kaboku68
All I can say is right now the price is good and a lot of people are bringing multiple generational guns in. Estate sales are good right now. There may be less demand for guns right now with our present SCOTUS but there are socio/political/economic storm clouds about 15-20 miles out. I don't think that they ever will try to confiscate guns like in other places but it will get extremely hard to purchase guns and components. The Millenials and Z Generation are not robust and don't value American Values; Our great nation is swirling around the bowl in a downward flush. I may not live through the reckoning but my people will say that crazy guy knew what the heck we were headed for and planned. I think that is why I am more oriented towards old rifles that could use hardcast bullets made from battery lead. I will just try to imagine what those Ching Chong Charlies say when they face a bunch of old lever rifles poking out of brush, tree branches and other terrain. You would find me just as prepared with other prepper things. At the same time, I am a bit of a romantic. I can easily fall in love with a rifle that feels right and has the right vibe. I get in trouble with them. However, I would rather get in trouble trying to sneak the last one down into my gun room then get caught in bed with some barroom floozy that I met online and had to get drinking to make presentable. I am happy with my domestic situation, I have a bit of discretionary surplus, and the children of the Greatest generation are selling the greatest guns our great nation has produced. I have a friend who makes custom rifles. He has a sweet deal with gunwerks and has a couple of those as well as his own creations which are highly vaulted in sheephunting circles. This year he has purchased 11 Pre-64 Winchesters. I was looking at one this weekend. It was a PreWar 35 Remington that some idjut rechambered to 35 Whelen. It has little for pure collector value and he purchased it for 800.00. But it feels right. He is going to work it over as a guide gun with cerracoate and find the necessary screws and skim bed it. To me, this is of value.

I went to 30/06 from magnums because I noticed how much cheaper brass was for the said rifles. You can buy a crap ton of brass for a 270 Win for the same price as just 1 box of 26 Nosler. I am not a long range hunter. I like the concept but I get the most pleasure out of hunting in getting from that 1000 yard distance to 200 yards and a slam dunk. It is the sneaking that I enjoy even over cooking up the meat. I think that there is a lot of wisdom when you find a couple of calibers that you can use multiples of different types of rifles that can work in different environments.

I have also noted that many times guns in strange calibers like 348, 350 Rem Mag, 8 Rem Mag, 28 Nosler are not shot as much as guns in other calibers and are in better condition. This now appeals to me.

I always like being the guy who pulls up to the public range in an older black Rav-4 toyota while everybody else has 70K diesel monsters and pull out 10 different guns that are each nicer and many times a lot more accurate than every other gun on the range. It just gives me a special kind of satisfaction. It probably is a Christian sin to be prideful but damn it feels good to be a gangster. I would rather buy and trade and collect guns than sports cards or cars. To me they give a special satisfaction. So call me what you want, I am happier than a pig in a mudhole.

Ok, Very well put, couldn't of said it better,,,,,, I'll add an Old sayin I heard back-in the Day, -[ It's Inevitable, that Man-Kind will Puck-up, and Annihilate Himself ]-

LJ cool and yea, were on our way.....
Posted By: Caplock Re: Redundant calibers - 01/02/23
Not complete unless you have 300 Savage and at least one Sharps in a true buffalo caliber like 44-77.
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Redundant calibers - 01/02/23
Yep, ever notice its usually the same half dozen or so members in every time....Hb
Posted By: CRS Re: Redundant calibers - 01/02/23

I have plenty, nine, maybe ten in the house right now. crazy
Posted By: RHutch Re: Redundant calibers - 01/02/23
My cartridge redundancy is generally purpose driven, with platforms differing for different tasks.
Posted By: Dre Re: Redundant calibers - 01/03/23
Originally Posted by Dre

Voted for Obama^^
Laffin’
Lol is right… no one cares.
But your obsession with me is flattering but not necessary.
Thought I told you I’m not gay and interested in broke back mountain jack off like you
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Redundant calibers - 01/03/23
My thoughts are, a person needs at least two guns chambered in the same cartridge.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Redundant calibers - 01/04/23
Have at least one gun for every cartridge. That way if times get tough, you'll be able to shoot whatever ammo you can find.

So far I've got a .22 and a .38.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Redundant calibers - 01/04/23
Originally Posted by kaboku68

I thought I knew where all my brothers lived didn't realize I had one in Alaska. Now I know take care in 2023...mb
Posted By: ingwe Re: Redundant calibers - 01/04/23
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
My thoughts are, a person needs at least two guns chambered in the same cartridge.

Mine too...apparently.....

.17 Remington-2
.222-2
.223-2

and a few singles I'll have to get to work on making them redundant...
Posted By: hanco Re: Redundant calibers - 01/05/23

I have 3 plus a 270 WSM and a 270 Weatherby
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Redundant calibers - 01/05/23
I see again I'm in good company 5 bolts and a pump in 270 + a 270Wthby. The real losers are those who don't have a 270 or 2.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Redundant calibers - 01/05/23

At least 2, the CLR-NULA hybrid and the Parkerized Remington 760, my elk hunting duo. Maybe a few others on a shelf collecting dust.
Posted By: Teeder Re: Redundant calibers - 01/05/23
The only .270 I've ever owned lasted just long enough to be rebarreled to 7x57.
Posted By: hanco Re: Redundant calibers - 01/05/23
A 270 will kill anything I’m likely to encounter
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Redundant calibers - 01/05/23
Rebarreling to a 7x57, Wow, now I have heard everything.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Redundant calibers - 01/06/23
Hanco, I really like my .270. It is in the truck right now on the off chance of getting a coyote. I like my .300 best, but for much of the shooting any of us do, it is about perfect. It could easily replace my old .25-06 for my favorite three calibers. Good choice.
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: Redundant calibers - 01/06/23
17-.22lr’s
6-.223’s
2-.243’s
2- .308’s
4-.30-06’s
4-12ga’s
2-20ga’s
2-410ga’s
4-9mm’s
2-.45acp’s
2-.38spcl’s
4-.50cal ML’s.

You need to add a 7x57 to that list.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Redundant calibers - 01/06/23
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
17-.22lr’s
6-.223’s
2-.243’s
2- .308’s
4-.30-06’s
4-12ga’s
2-20ga’s
2-410ga’s
4-9mm’s
2-.45acp’s
2-.38spcl’s
4-.50cal ML’s.

I’d have to buy two to ad it to the list though?
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Redundant calibers - 01/06/23
I’ve sold exactly one firearm I don’t regret. Wish I had the others back.
Maybe one day I’ll firesale my meager lot, but not today.
Posted By: Rickshaw Re: Redundant calibers - 01/06/23
17-.22lr’s
6-.223’s
2-.243’s
2- .308’s
4-.30-06’s
4-12ga’s
2-20ga’s
2-410ga’s
4-9mm’s
2-.45acp’s
2-.38spcl’s
4-.50cal ML’s.

And the problem is?
17-.22lr’s
6-.223’s
2-.243’s
2- .308’s
4-.30-06’s
4-12ga’s
2-20ga’s
2-410ga’s
4-9mm’s
2-.45acp’s
2-.38spcl’s
4-.50cal ML’s.

We'll...of course.
Posted By: Teeder Re: Redundant calibers - 01/06/23
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

What, you've never spent a ton of money building a rifle just because you have dies and some brass?

Now I've heard everything. laugh
Originally Posted by Teeder

What, you've never spent a ton of money building a rifle just because you have dies and some brass?

Literally why I'm building a 284 win right now, lol
Posted By: Teeder Re: Redundant calibers - 01/06/23
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
Originally Posted by Teeder

Literally why I'm building a 284 win right now, lol

Atta' boy! grin
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Redundant calibers - 01/06/23
17-.22lr’s
6-.223’s
2-.243’s
2- .308’s
4-.30-06’s
4-12ga’s
2-20ga’s
2-410ga’s
4-9mm’s
2-.45acp’s
2-.38spcl’s
4-.50cal ML’s.

Nah, you already have the 7-08 so you are already same same there!
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Redundant calibers - 01/06/23
Aside from rimfires, the only rifle redundancy I have is .223/5.56. Handguns? That’s a different matter altogether.

I recently sent 2 handguns and 2 rifles down the road and would really like to get rid of more… just can’t do it.

Shotguns…. Recently had thoughts of getting down to one shotgun for everything like I did back in the days when I had a lot fewer guns but a lot more fun with the ones I had.
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
17-.22lr’s
6-.223’s
2-.243’s
2- .308’s
4-.30-06’s
4-12ga’s
2-20ga’s
2-410ga’s
4-9mm’s
2-.45acp’s
2-.38spcl’s
4-.50cal ML’s.

Nah, you already have the 7-08 so you are already same same there!

Turn in your looney card!!!!

😸
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: Redundant calibers - 01/06/23
Two each of

.25-35 Win
.257 Roberts
7.62x39
.303 British
.32 Win Spl
.325 WSM
.348 Win
.358 Win
.405 Win
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Redundant calibers - 01/06/23
I don't collect guns, and thus don't own anything that is redundant.

I am downsizing though and will be down to less than 20 total shortly.
Posted By: spence1875 Re: Redundant calibers - 01/06/23
I have about 30 3006s, mostly garands,03s and 1917s but I need them all, that as after trimming off some of the doubles.

I have way too many 1911s and 357 smiths, but always looking for more.

I don’t even want to think about redundant scopes.

Point it is I don’t need any of it unless the grocery stores all close.

If they do, I would think a 22 lr and a 12 gauge would do about anything I really needed.

But this is the Fire, embrace the the redundancy and be proud to call yourself a rifle looney.
© 24hourcampfire