Home
Posted By: Jim_Knight Back to the Win Mag! - 01/09/23
Well, after putting a pencil to it and an "earlier than scheduled wife's surgery", I have given up on the 338/06. For a bit more than what a new barrel for this old Savage 110 (with accompanying 10 weeks wait) would cost, I found an early model 700. Its a Mod 700 ADL Stainless with factory irons! 338 Win Mag. I'm jazzed. Its about a pound lighter than the Ruger 77 Hawkeye SS (no irons) I just set-up and sold. I've owned/used many Mod 700s in this model and in the BDL version. 7mm Rem Mag, 300WM and 375 H&H. were some of my favorite hunting rifles (gave them all to close friends ) No brake on any of them. I just so happen to have a TT Special trigger on hand too! I figure a LimbSaver pad and pillar bedding will "sweeten the pot"! I'm happy. I immediately sat down and order some leupold QD scope mounts. Got a brand new 2.5x8 to put on it. I got outbid at GB for a set Mod 70 338WM, so went over and found it on Gunsinternational. Same model listed by some were over $1100! I came out well, ha! For that kind of luck (favor?) I can load down to 338/06 levels for a long time or steam it up! Sheboygin! smile PS that Ruger was heavy and they don't fit me like a slimmer/trimmer Mod 700.
Posted By: trplem Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 01/09/23
Would that be freaky deeky Sheboygan?
Posted By: memtb Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 01/09/23
I hope that it fulfills your fantasies! šŸ˜‰ Good Luck with your new quest! memtb
Posted By: ldmay375 Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 01/09/23
The 338 Winchester is a favorite cartridge.
Posted By: rovert Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 01/09/23
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I can load down to 338/06 levels for a long time or steam it up!

You don't have to download a 300 win mag much to get to 338-06 levels. My 338-06 AI was over 2850 with 210's. That's really, really close to 300 win mag territory.
338 win mag is really good.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 01/10/23
I agree. The 338 Win is hard to improve upon till you really wanna take some serious recoil.
Posted By: Brad Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 01/10/23
Well, after putting a pencil to it and an "earlier than scheduled wife's surgery", I have given up on the 338/06. For a bit more than what a new barrel for this old Savage 110 (with accompanying 10 weeks wait) would cost, I found an early model 700. Its a Mod 700 ADL Stainless with factory irons! 338 Win Mag. I'm jazzed. Its about a pound lighter than the Ruger 77 Hawkeye SS (no irons) I just set-up and sold. I've owned/used many Mod 700s in this model and in the BDL version. 7mm Rem Mag, 300WM and 375 H&H. were some of my favorite hunting rifles (gave them all to close friends ) No brake on any of them. I just so happen to have a TT Special trigger on hand too! I figure a LimbSaver pad and pillar bedding will "sweeten the pot"! I'm happy. I immediately sat down and order some leupold QD scope mounts. Got a brand new 2.5x8 to put on it. I got outbid at GB for a set Mod 70 338WM, so went over and found it on Gunsinternational. Same model listed by some were over $1100! I came out well, ha! For that kind of luck (favor?) I can load down to 338/06 levels for a long time or steam it up! Sheboygin! smile PS that Ruger was heavy and they don't fit me like a slimmer/trimmer Mod 700.

I had the same rifle, and while I could be wrong, I don't believe they were made available with factory iron sights. I cut the barrel on mine to 22" and added bead blasted-blued Remington factory sights. One of the most accurate factory rifles I've ever owned. Printed like a varmint rifle.
Posted By: scottf270 Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 01/10/23
My second favorite cartridge after my .270 Winchester. Don't get to use it a lot. One elk, two Alaskan moose. Bang, flop.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 01/10/23
Originally Posted by ldmay375
The 338 Winchester is a favorite cartridge.

Itā€™s one of my favorites as well.
Posted By: Partsman Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 01/11/23
I have 300 win mags, a Sako 375 H&H and enjoy them both, but always thought a 338 win mag would be nice, ended up getting two 338 rifles in an auction, one a Remington classic and a Ruger 77 tang safety and canā€™t wait to get them to the range.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 01/11/23
Originally Posted by Brad
I had the same rifle, and while I could be wrong, I don't believe they were made available with factory iron sights. .

I had a M700 BDL with irons. It was the first year (mid to late 80's) they chambered the BDL in 338 Win Mag.
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 01/11/23
This one is certainly an ADL "stock". For all I know someone put a BDL SS (with irons) barreled action into the ADL configuration. No problem for me, either way, ha. The 7mm ADL/SS I mentioned above did not have irons, I remember now. But that was early 90's. I gave that rifle to my Pastor down in Texas. He's gone to Heaven now, but he used that old plain ADL 7 Rem Mag almost exclusively ( I gave him a 300WSM, a 240wby he used one hunt, and that MGA 338WM) I watched him make a one shot kill on a Spanish goat in Uvalde way up on a ridge, if it wasnt 400yds it was 399! ha He did it with my handloaded Barnes 120X over R22. I still remember...
Anyhow, I'm glad I found this one. I still plan on using more 200-210s than anything else in it. I like that 60gr H4895/Speer 200HC for a deer load. Easy shooting too. I'l just use a Pact Shoulder pad in conjunction with a new Limbsaver, give my old shoulder a break, ha. If I "have to" I will only have it Ported instead of a brake. I've done that many times, works for me pretty good.
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 01/11/23
I have a Remington 700 BDL in 8 Rem Mag and it has irons.
Posted By: Brad Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 01/11/23
This one is certainly an ADL "stock". For all I know someone put a BDL SS (with irons) barreled action into the ADL configuration. No problem for me, either way, ha. The 7mm ADL/SS I mentioned above did not have irons, I remember now. But that was early 90's. I gave that rifle to my Pastor down in Texas. He's gone to Heaven now, but he used that old plain ADL 7 Rem Mag almost exclusively ( I gave him a 300WSM, a 240wby he used one hunt, and that MGA 338WM) I watched him make a one shot kill on a Spanish goat in Uvalde way up on a ridge, if it wasnt 400yds it was 399! ha He did it with my handloaded Barnes 120X over R22. I still remember...
Anyhow, I'm glad I found this one. I still plan on using more 200-210s than anything else in it. I like that 60gr H4895/Speer 200HC for a deer load. Easy shooting too. I'l just use a Pact Shoulder pad in conjunction with a new Limbsaver, give my old shoulder a break, ha. If I "have to" I will only have it Ported instead of a brake. I've done that many times, works for me pretty good.

Yeah, I got my ADL Stainless 338 WM in 1993 IIRC. Iā€™m fairly certain they werenā€™t offered with open sights. I know mine didnā€™t have any. I used 225 Hdyā€™s.
Posted By: JPro Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 01/11/23
I cut a BDL SS 338WM to 22ā€ and bedded it to a gray LSS stock. The plan was 200s at 2850-2900 and itā€™s been great at that. Very consistent shooter, year after year.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 01/11/23
All this 338 talk makes me wanna get my old 338 out and dust it off a little. Pretty versatile really. I have some friends with 338 RUM's and 340 Wby's but everytime I think about cheating on my old Alaskan I quickly wash away the thought and realize the old rifle has been perfect for me since the get go!
Posted By: Teeder Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 01/11/23
I could be wrong, but I don't remember any Rem "Stainless" rifles with sights.
Posted By: CZ550 Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 01/11/23
Good thread... brings back memories... But a 9.3 x 62, and a most recent .35 Whelen (my 3rd) have replaced all "mediums", and I've written several blogs on comparisons. Yet a .338 WM with some of today's bullets is VERY impressive. A number of years ago, one of my partners shot a good bear over my bait with his Browning in .338 Win using the 210gr NP at 3000 fps - a .338 Win was my recommendation to him for moose and bear.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca
Posted By: CZ550 Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 01/11/23
Originally Posted by Teeder

One of my sons had a Rem 700 SS mountain rifle in .338 Win - no iron sights.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 01/11/23
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Originally Posted by Brad
I had the same rifle, and while I could be wrong, I don't believe they were made available with factory iron sights. .

I had a M700 BDL with irons. It was the first year (mid to late 80's) they chambered the BDL in 338 Win Mag.

Just to be clear, this was a blued rifle, not s/s
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 01/12/23
Yep, when I finally get the rifle, its serial number will tell me what it is, whether an ADL or BDL. I don't really care as I don't mind a blind magazine. I am getting excited! smile
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 01/19/23
Picked up the rifle today! It has an "S" prefix 6217xxx. From what I can find Remington last used an "S" back in 1998. It is stainless and yet has iron sights. It is in an ADL synthetic of that period (or earlier) I bought a Mod 700 BDL SS in 375 H&H that year and it too had irons. I'm thinking this stock has been swapped, and rifle converted to ADL magazine spring/follower. The bolt release tab is broken off ( seller told me it was before bought) which is fine as I have that TT to put in it. It has the hard Remington recoil pad ( Limbsaver to the rescue) Tomorrow I can take it apart/check it all out, maybe find out some more bugs,etc. Happy boy!

Attached picture Remington-700-338-Win-Mag-Stainless-with-Scope_ #1.jpg
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 01/20/23
Evidently whoever had this rifle last "lost" the tiny spring that returns the bolt release lever into upright position. A quick call to my gunsmith and a time set for Monday can fix that! ha Once I get this TT lined out and find a Limbsaver Pad for this synthetic stock, I'm going to shoot it "stock", see how it shoots first. Every rifle I had back then (whether BDL or ADL, SS or Matte Blue) shot great as is. No bedding or floating was needed. Hopefully this one will do that.
Posted By: bcbigbore Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 01/21/23
Another .338 bore fan here. Had an early Ruger 77 MkII ss w/grey laminate stock in .338WM. Great rifle for moose, elk & grizzly here in northern BC. Never should have sold it but I did. It was replaced with a Winchester Model 70 FWT Classic CRF .30-06 that went to Rocky Mountain Rifles in Dawson Creek BC for a PacNor SS No. 1 contour barrel. Had the barrel fluted, recessed muzzle crown & finished at 23ā€ and chambered to .338-06. Very accurate with various handloads for a 7.4lb rifle c/w Leupold VariX III 2.5x-8x. My other .338 is a 1961 Winchester Model 70 Alaskan chambered in .338 Winchester Magnum. It was an old friendā€™s rifle that needed some clean up so off to RMR for rebluing and trigger tuning. Didnā€™t have much collector value hence the new bluing job. Still wears the factory open sights but one day Iā€™ll put some glass on top but sure is a nice rifle.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 01/21/23
I had a couple 338 700's. They were quite accurate and for many years they were my go-to rifle(s) for elk. I took the last 338 700 Moose hunting in Canada.
Posted By: Teeder Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 01/21/23
Picked up the rifle today! It has an "S" prefix 6217xxx. From what I can find Remington last used an "S" back in 1998. It is stainless and yet has iron sights. It is in an ADL synthetic of that period (or earlier) I bought a Mod 700 BDL SS in 375 H&H that year and it too had irons. I'm thinking this stock has been swapped, and rifle converted to ADL magazine spring/follower. The bolt release tab is broken off ( seller told me it was before bought) which is fine as I have that TT to put in it. It has the hard Remington recoil pad ( Limbsaver to the rescue) Tomorrow I can take it apart/check it all out, maybe find out some more bugs,etc. Happy boy!

Looks good from here!
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 01/22/23
Remington BDL purchased around 1985 , in .338WM, with sights has been one of my favorite rifles. I topped it with a Burris 3-9 compact, new at the time! The wood was very nice, but I replaced it with synthetic. It's as accurate as most rifles I have owned. Load it down, load it up it just shoots good! I'm passing it on to a grandson, just haven't decided witch one yet.
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 01/22/23
This rifle's iron sights are "stainless also" or aluminum, anyhow they are as white as the barrel! No problem for me but first one I've seen. The irons on that BDL SS H&H I had were blue. Who knows....ha
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 01/24/23
Got the TT Special in, (needed a bolt release spring, but my smith had one) going to put it all back together, scope it and hopefully shoot it this week ( depends on the snow!) I'm thinking of trying out one of those FalconStrike recoil pads, just for grins. a 338WM is a good "test subject for sure! ha. That's IF they have one for this period synthetic stock, can't seem to find a Sims that does. So far.
Posted By: JBabcock Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 01/24/23
Really hard to beat a good 338 WM. I used one exclusively for years. The 210ā€™s, 225ā€™s and 250ā€™s compare closely to the 30-06ā€™s 150ā€™s, 165ā€™s and 180ā€™s in regards to drop. Those 2 cartridges will serve a man well with out a lot of fuss. The most bang - flops Iā€™ve ever gotten were with the 338 WM.
Posted By: AU338MAG Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 01/24/23
338 Win Mag is my favorite. Have 2 in the stable right now.

1st is a M700 KS that is wonderful to shoot and prints 225 gr Accubonds into nice tight clusters.

2nd is a 338 WM built on a 1942 M70 action nestled into a McMillan stock. Shooting 210 gr Partitions through it.

Also built a 338 06 AI a few years ago on a M700 action with a Lilja barrel in a Borden Rimrock stock. Great deer rifle with 200 gr SST bullets that make large holes in critters.
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 01/25/23
I broke down and ordered one of those FalconStrike Pads! This should be the perfect platform to see if it works, lol. I mounted my Leupold QD Mounts and the 2.5x8 on it. It reminds me of the old BDL SS 375 H&H I gave my young friend. Great to use in the mountains, for sure. Love these Remington 700s! ( Got to admit I love the Winchester 70 Featherweights, having one barreled to 7x57 right now! ) I plan on loading three types of rounds, (a) 175 Hammers-210 PT loaded fast as they can go (b) any 200 to 225 that mimics the 338/06 (c) Heavy humdingers 250 GS to 285 Hammer (Bigfoot and such) Hot dog I'm getting jazzed!
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 01/25/23
AU338- sounds like some sweet rifles to use down there! Ever line up two or three hogs to see what happens? ha
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 01/29/23
I installed the FalconStrike, now all I need is time to get to the range and see if works! I threw that old factory rock hard pad "A-Way"!
Posted By: Iafarmer Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 01/30/23
My 2 cents for whatā€™s worth . I bought 338 w.m. in a 700 classic with iron. I believe that was the first time Remington offered 338. Could be wrong! Thanks
Posted By: Iafarmer Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 01/30/23
Addition to above 1987 was the year .
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 01/30/23
Originally Posted by Iafarmer
Addition to above 1987 was the year .

You are right! It took me about 30yrs before I found one for myself, BUT it was just "too purty" to take to the mountains...for me. It was a shooter too!
Posted By: Hammer2506 Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 01/31/23
300 win mag with 180ā€™s is top of the game.
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 02/01/23
I have and love the 300WM. Been shooting the Barnes 175 LRX in it. Last time out, 87gr of Magnum got four shots into .50" average. Not too shabby, ha. However, I'm at that place in life I'm "trying" to spend less money on rifles/components and more on hunts. That means thinning the herd. I like the 338WM better IF I can get 185-200 fast and flat, I don't need the 300 anymore. I also have the option of loading heavier if I want from the 338. On the lower end, I'm having a 7x57 made up with a 26" barrel, should take care of that end. I may or may not hang on to the Mod 7 Predator as I have a Bushmaster Predator 223 at my Marine SILs for coyotes. But really, I can use anything for coyotes, I'm not after pelts. Time will tell.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 02/01/23
I love the 338wm. Itā€™s my favorite do-all for the 1 gun guy and at home in any western arsenal.

Iā€™m sending a new, well it was unfired until I put 4 rounds through it for fun, 1965 7mm RemMag in to JES soon to become another 338. I inherited from my FIL and I have no use for a 7mag. Nothing wrong with it at all but I donā€™t want an entirely different caliber to buy, load and feedā€¦..although since I have a Whelen maybe a 358 Norma makes sense? Choicesā€¦

Iā€™ve been very pleased with the Whelen that JES did on a 700 and Iā€™m thinking Iā€™ve got a 1953 model 70 begging to be a 35.
Posted By: Nykki Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 02/01/23
Was looking at a Ruger Hawkeye with a short barrel today at Sportsman's.. I would like an all weather 338wm and the Ruger felt good.Last years moose hunt was kinda hard on my blued M70.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 02/01/23
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I love the 338wm. Itā€™s my favorite do-all for the 1 gun guy and at home in any western arsenal.

Iā€™m sending a new, well it was unfired until I put 4 rounds through it for fun, 1965 7mm RemMag in to JES soon to become another 338. I inherited from my FIL and I have no use for a 7mag. Nothing wrong with it at all but I donā€™t want an entirely different caliber to buy, load and feedā€¦..although since I have a Whelen maybe a 358 Norma makes sense? Choicesā€¦

Iā€™ve been very pleased with the Whelen that JES did on a 700 and Iā€™m thinking Iā€™ve got a 1953 model 70 begging to be a 35.

Bet that has a stainless barrel.
Posted By: hikerbum Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 02/01/23
Never owned a 338 but seems like a nice round
Posted By: memtb Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 02/01/23
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

You have good tastesā€¦..as well as wisdom! The .338 WM is darn difficult to beat as a factory ā€œall aroundā€! memtb
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 02/01/23
My Ruger boat paddle 338 was my one and only. Tough rifle, shot well and hit hard. Kicked though in that stock. Built a 35 Whelen and never looked back.
Posted By: las Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 02/01/23

Boy, I do!

I worked on a 721? maybe a 722? - blued-stainless one time, with sights. Owner asked me to turn off the rear-sight hump, which I did without realizing it was stainless.

Oops!

I paid for the re-blue. I was set up only for normal hot-salts blueing, so had to send it out.
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 02/02/23

I'm same way Teeder, ha, I have no idea if these are SS or Aluminum, but they are "in the white".
Posted By: horse1 Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 02/02/23
I wonder how many folks own the 1960ā€™s vintage 700ā€™s in Magnum chamberings with the ā€œbluedā€ SS barrels and donā€™t even realize it?

Look directly below the chambering engraving and youā€™ll see in very small faint letters ā€œStainless Steelā€.

IIRC the factory SS bbl was only on the .264, 7Rem mag, 300Win Mag, and 338Win Mag.
I remember a few of those too Horse! I think we are "showing our age, ha
Posted By: horse1 Re: Back to the Win Mag! - 02/02/23
I remember a few of those too Horse! I think we are "showing our age, ha

Iā€™m ā€œonlyā€ 48. Dad did a fair amount of buy/sell/swap and I spent 5 years in a gun shop during college. Just something I learned to look for when a 700 in a magnum with the correct checkering pattern presents itself.
I have twin girls your age, lol.
© 24hourcampfire