Home
I was attempting to explain to a buddy today how some shady gun builders offering accuracy guarantees might do so by stacking multiple targets on top of each other until they get a good 3 shot group they can tear off and show. I was struggling to explain how exactly they do this, but I remember reading an article years ago about it. Anyone know what I'm talking about? And can you explain it or know of a link that explains the process? I wasn't doing a good job of explaining it, and I'm probably not now, but hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about.
It would be pretty easy. Just stack up three targets with the edges ever so slightly misaligned from each other. Shoot one bullet through the pile. Presto, a tiny “3 shot group” on the back one.
????????

If I'm was gonna do that,
I'd shoot at 25 and claim 100.

Crooked is crooked.
Originally Posted by sambo3006
It would be pretty easy. Just stack up three targets with the edges ever so slightly misaligned from each other. Shoot one bullet through the pile. Presto, a tiny “3 shot group” on the back one.

Do what? Can you explain this a little better? Three targets stacked up and shot once should leave one hole in each of three targets. Where foes three holes come from?
Whew, I thought I was the only one that wasn't seeing it.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
????????

Crooked is crooked.
Haha no kidding. These guys are really over thinking it.
When I do a re-barrel for a picky customer like BSA 1917 and Gnoahhh, I just moves the target in to about 6 yards, which avoids flame scorching the target. I can get some nice groups like that.
Originally Posted by BRISTECD

Do what? Can you explain this a little better? Three targets stacked up and shot once should leave one hole in each of three targets. Where foes three holes come from?

His imagination?
Originally Posted by flintlocke
When I do a re-barrel for a picky customer like BSA 1917 and Gnoahhh, I just moves the target in to about 6 yards, which avoids flame scorching the target. I can get some nice groups like that.

Damn, that explains everything.. ha ha..
I always called BS on cooper my long time hunting partner had a cooper in 223 AK that wouldn’t produce groups like the test targets
He called them for the
Load and go a vague answer now I figured they stacked targets with a bench rifle also.
After visiting cooper and seeing the inefficiency of ther operation ther was no way they were working up loads for every rifle and selling them for then 900 dollars
Years later I bought a slightly used cooper in then new 204. All be damned if it shot just like the target. So
Maybe so.
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
I'm with y'all. 🤔
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
I'm with y'all. 🤔

Yeah... Not sure how multiple targets, each with one hole in them is supposed to fool somebody?
I can't see the purpose or even why one would want to do something like the OP suggests. If I wanted to show a good 3-shot group then I would just keep shooting 3 shot groups until one was shot that would meet the standard to be posted.

A better indicator to me of how a rifle groups is a series of five or more groups on the same target, whether they be 3 or 5 shot groups. Anytime I see a target that is a sample of only one group does not mean much to me. Oh, and please leave off the dime or penny that may, or may not, be covering the "flyer".

drover
There WAS an article in Gun Digest in the 1990's(?) that had a similar context. It was titled something like, "What 15 shots can tell you.", or "What you can learn with 15 shots."

The shooter had multiple targets stacked and directly spaced behind each other at ( I think) 100 yards. I don't remember the exact "experiment design" or methodology, but it went something like this:

-the first target stayed in place for all 15 shots, showing a single 15 shot group size to measure.
-the second target-maybe 1-2 inches behind the first target, was changed every 5 shots-yielding three targets with 5 shots each to measure group size.
-the third target, again spaced 1-2" behind the second target (and ~ 4' behind the first target), was changed every three shots, yielding 5 targets having a 3 shot group to measure for group size..
-there may have been another target to get two 10-shot group sizes-but don't remember.

The point of the article was to simply address if there was a statistical difference in group size between a single 3-shot group (compared to an average (?) of 5, 3-shot groups) , vs. a single 5-shot group (compared to an average of 3, 5-shot groups, vs. one or two 10-shot groups vs a single 15-shot group. I don't remember the conclusion of the experiment. There was not a hint of intent to "trick" or "intent to glean any advantage of reporting a "tweaked" group size." The intent of the article was simply, "this technique CAN be done, and here's how I did it." I remember it being done in the interest of science and statistical probability (with a certain level of statistical confidence, (ie "6 sigma analysis"), and not a means to find a way to "cheat" or falsely report a tighter-than-achieved group size.

So, "Yes" there was an article in a "major" firearms publication that covered the OP's overall concept-but with a different intent.
Originally Posted by Gtscotty
I'm with y'all. 🤔

Yeah... Not sure how multiple targets, each with one hole in them is supposed to fool somebody?

Just cut the holes out (and ONLY the holes!) and paste them on a pristine target.

Ask me about other shooting tips.
Kimber.....A decent example of whatever

MOA Standard......it holds no water and is hardly a guarantee

Plus

Their test range is 50 yards
Originally Posted by buttstock
There WAS an article in Gun Digest in the 1990's(?) that had a similar context. It was titled something like, "What 15 shots can tell you.", or "What you can learn with 15 shots."

The shooter had multiple targets stacked and directly spaced behind each other at ( I think) 100 yards. I don't remember the exact "experiment design" or methodology, but it went something like this:

-the first target stayed in place for all 15 shots, showing a single 15 shot group size to measure.
-the second target-maybe 1-2 inches behind the first target, was changed every 5 shots-yielding three targets with 5 shots each to measure group size.
-the third target, again spaced 1-2" behind the second target (and ~ 4' behind the first target), was changed every three shots, yielding 5 targets having a 3 shot group to measure for group size..
-there may have been another target to get two 10-shot group sizes-but don't remember.

I believe the point of the article was to simple address if there was a statistical difference in group size between a single 3-shot group (compared to an aggregate, or average (?) of 5, 3-shot groups) , vs. a single 5-shot group (compared to an aggregate or maybe average of 3, 5-shot groups, vs. one or two 10-shot groups vs a single 15-shot group. I don't remember the conclusion of the experiment. There was not a hint of intent to "trick" or "intent to glean any advantage of reporting a "tweaked" group size." The intent of the article was simply, "this technique CAN be done, and here's how I did it." I remember it being done in the interest of science and statistical probability (with a certain level of statistical confidence, (ie "6 sigma analysis"), and not a means to find a way to "cheat" or falsely report a tighter-than-achieved group size.

So, "Yes" there was an article in a "major" firearms publication that covered the OP's overall concept-but with a different intent or focus.
Ah-ha! I knew I remembered something! Thanks! And yes, I wasn’t implying that any manufacturers use any similar tactics with intent to deceive, I sure hope they don’t, but they could…
Originally Posted by Gtscotty
I'm with y'all. 🤔

😵‍💫

Me too!
Wait…couldn’t you just snag photos of someone else’s targets and claim them for your own? Seemed to work on deer pretty well for a fella a while back! Guess this would be the same kind of delusional desperation for acceptance or attention. 😳 Sheesh!
Or do like some fellows did for our 24HCF Poatal Matches - take a pencil and just poke holes in the target. Not a joke, I scored one match and it was obvious that some actually did that.

Yes, Poatal is spelled correctly, or correctly incorrectly as the case may be.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
????????

Crooked is crooked.

That's what I was going to suggest.
Originally Posted by flintlocke

lololololol

There's no need to go to extravagant lengths to lie about accuracy.
I loved me a good poatal match.
I recall one company with provided test targets which included powder burns. Another provided targets which had obviously been cut with a paper cutter. All rifles, regardless of caliber, had the same size holes. GD
Originally Posted by tedthorn

Plus

I think Cooper is 50 yards also.
Heres a novel idea. Shoot good groups. No lying needed. Edk
Originally Posted by ERK
Heres a novel idea. Shoot good groups. No lying needed. Edk

That is the best and easiest solution. ^^^^^^
Originally Posted by greydog
I recall one company with provided test targets which included powder burns. Another provided targets which had obviously been cut with a paper cutter. All rifles, regardless of caliber, had the same size holes. GD
Then I suppose you recall what company ??
Wow. I just re-read what I posted. That didn't make a damned bit of sense. I need to refrain from posting when I'm tired. Please disregard what I posted. I promise, it made sense in my head! blush grin
Wow. I just re-read what I posted. That didn't make a damned bit of sense. I need to refrain from posting when I'm tired. Please disregard what I posted. I promise, it made sense in my head! blush grin
I imagined you were actually talking about folding a target so the one round would create multiple holes. The targets I've received were all folded in the gun box, so the creases alone wouldn't be a giveaway.
I never give much credibility to some guy posting pictures of groups on here. Anyone can put a target out at say 25 yards and make any claim in the world.
I am with old school. Someone else's groups mean nothing In the classifieds.

Just like fishing tales
If you want a good 3 shot group, shoot it at 10 feet.
pointy pencil, make your holes where needed.
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs

No one ever believed my 223 targets

[Linked Image from texashuntingforum.com]
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs

Good idea, but that wouldn't work with these types of targets, I think:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Don't leave out the old 1 shot... "three shot group"
Lol
You will never know.... smile.

The 6 and 5 1/2 were scope markings checking actual movement vs scope markings at that range/. would I lie???

Leupold VXIII 3.5 to 10, M98 with heavy 27" bbl/

SDHNTR: YOU.... have confused.... YOURSELF!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Maybe if you are shooting in the wind and the target folded itself just right:
Originally Posted by Seafire

Yeah I've seen a few recently that were claimed to be 10 shot groups. I get that sometimes a bullet passes through the same hole with no evidence of it from a picture, but 3 or 4 Whoodini bullets in one group? I'm skeptical to say the least laugh
Originally Posted by brydan
Originally Posted by Seafire

Yeah I've seen a few recently that were claimed to be 10 shot groups. I get that sometimes a bullet passes through the same hole with no evidence of it from a picture, but 3 or 4 Whoodini bullets in one group? I'm skeptical to say the least laugh

I shoot so many 1 hole 3 shot groups that it isn't even funny. Just about every time out it happens. They are part of a 5 or 10 shot group, but I've thought that it is senseless to walk down to the target, and pull it off the target board and interrupt a good 10 shot group.

During load development with one of my AR10's. Here's the groups on each side of that charge weight:

You guys that are skeptical can't shoot for fu ck or don't have very good rifles.

The problem is you and your rifle can't shoot like that, so you are "skeptical". Fuggin laughing..

I feel the same way about a lot of targets I see here, only opposite. In that it's like: How the fu ck do you guys shoot like schidt?? Why is the group always way the fugg off the bulls eye??? There are all kinds of shooters, I guess.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I shoot so many 1 hole 3 shot groups that it isn't even funny. Just about every time out it happens. They are part of a 5 or 10 shot group, but I've thought that it is senseless to walk down to the target, and pull it off the target board and interrupt a good 10 shot group.

During load development with one of my AR10's. Here's the groups on each side of that charge weight:

You guys that are skeptical can't shoot for fu ck or don't have very good rifles.

The problem is you and your rifle can't shoot like that, so you are "skeptical". Fuggin laughing..

I feel the same way about a lot of targets I see here, only opposite. In that it's like: How the fu ck do you guys shoot like schidt?? Why is the group always way the fugg off the bulls eye??? There are all kinds of shooters, I guess.

Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. I've seen some suspect stuff posted recently on other sites, that's all. Life's short, don't stress about it my friend.
I don't mind groups off bull. Shooting for groups and shooting to zero are separate often. No need to rezero when trying new loads.

Also there's an advantage to not shooting out your aiming point when really testing for accuracy.
I don't enjoy shooting groups outside of development.
Not even then really.

If you are a benchrester, or a competitor who shoots off rests, have at it.

Paper is boring, I like to see if I can hit stuff.

But I'm also the guy who would drive 40 miles to shoot skeet, got bored after a couple rounds and just pulled for the other guys. End of evening, they had 200 birds, I had
75-100.
I try to shoot all my 100 yard groups at 50 yards. My ten-yard groups are the tightest, though.
Originally Posted by Teal
I don't mind groups off bull. Shooting for groups and shooting to zero are separate often. No need to rezero when trying new loads.

Also there's an advantage to not shooting out your aiming point when really testing for accuracy.

Exactly! Can’t think of a BR shooter that shoots out his aiming point.

GreggH
Originally Posted by tedthorn

Plus

I thought the 50 yard range was actually Cooper. Kimber too?
Originally Posted by Teal

I regularly don’t shoot poa. I often put together loads to try with different powders or bullet combos for a known accurate rifle just for fun. Most don’t hit poa as they aren’t zeroed for the same load I regularly shoot, but some end up being very accurate, some not so much.
© 24hourcampfire