Home
Posted By: Dogger Offhand shooting at big game... - 01/19/23
Do you take shots offhand at game? If so, what is your rifle set-up, usual field conditions doing so, game animal, and self imposed range to take the shot? Does it determine your choice of cartridge? Bullet choice? Irons or scope? Action type?

Thanks in advance
I have yes.

Rifles were Ruger 77 in 30-06, Rem 700 in 30-06, Kimber Montana in 7-08

Doesn't impact my choice of rifle - it's an opportunity thing, not planned or built specifically for.

Range wise - most all of my hunting is 300 yards and in so it's less about range and more about "what do the crosshairs look like" when I try and hold them. If steady and good, animal's good - touch it off. If not - I don't. Might be a million reason why I don't - but being off hand (instability) is just one of them.
As in free-standing off hand shots? Yep. I’ve done a lot of it over the years with rifles. .308 Win, .243 Win, .30-06, .260 Rem. All scoped guns. Longest offhand shot was somewhere around 250 yards. As I got into my late teens and early 20s I did a LOT more field position practice and will often quickly drop to a knee or cross legged position if the shot angle presents that way. Running deer are generally shot free standing because it’s like shooting a very precise shotgun - start behind, touch off with the proper lead, follow through. That’s easier standing on two feet than any other position. For standing deer I will shoot offhand only if I have to. If I can, I hit prone, cross legged, kneeling, or improvise a rest on something.
Hell yes. Who doesn't??? Any rifle configuration works. Any cartridge. Is this supposed to be a trick question?
I spent considerable range time this year shooting offhand with centerfire hunting rifles (a mix of bolt and lever guns). A great way to burn up random partials of ammo but very humbling to say the least. Even though I have successfully shot big game offhand, all that range practice just confirmed my desire to find support when possible.
Originally Posted by MedRiver
I spent considerable range time this year shooting offhand with centerfire hunting rifles (a mix of bolt and lever guns). A great way to burn up random partials of ammo but very humbling to say the least. Even though I have successfully shot big game offhand, all that range practice just confirmed my desire to find support when possible.
Yep. I can ring 8” plates at 200 yards offhand. But that doesn’t mean I will pass up a rest or more stable shooting position if possible.
Yes, many times and will not hesitate at 100 or so…..out to 200 if the “NEED” arises. However, at anything over 100, if at all possible I will go to my shooting sticks. The wife’s last Pronghorn was shot offhand @ 204 yards, measured after the shot! She only had moments to get the shot off before the “goat” went behind a ridge!

A scoped, bolt action rifle….with the scope alway kept at lowest power ( Leupold 3.5-10) zero’d @ 300 @ yards. We hunt mostly open country, but occasionally in “dog hair” timber! Terrain, range, and animal have zero determining factor in the rifle/cartridge…..as we (wife and I) only use one (2 rifles…..her’s and mine) hunting rifle for all of our hunting, from Pronghorns to moose.

One cartridge, again her’s/mine……one load, one bullet, one zero. This has worked well for us! memtb
Almost always. Lots of rifles and lots of situations. I'm in the Woods. I don't need a rest in the Woods
As a lot of the elk I have shot have been 50 yards or less, in heavy timber. Yes I have. 30-30, 45-70, 44 mag, 3 different 50cal muzzle loaders, all open sights. .06 & 7 mag, scoped,usually set at 2 X
Last six or so deer I’ve killed with a rifle have been off hand. Mostly shot walking in or out. 50-180 yds. ‘06 and 270 win for the last 2
I'd say 60% of the deer I've killed have been shot shooting offhand. @ 100 yards has been the longest.
Last one was a white tail at about 150 yards, shot it with a 7x57. I had multiple licenses, and I was walking up to a kill when this one popped up.

I used to still-hunt more when I had original issued knees. I still hunted for 50 years. Still do until my knees hurt too much and I have to sit.
A cow elk at 350 yards, 270. I couldn't get closer.
White tail at 5 yards, 300 Win Mag (didn't notice any wind deflection on that one) she got up right in front of me as I was returning to camp.
280 Remington one at 75 yards and several more and many with 30-06 at various ranges, 7mm RM at 75 yards, 300 Savage at ~ 100 yards - four each that year. 25-06 at 20 yards -- all come to mind.
I suspect that with pronghorn, more than 75% of my shooting was off hand with various rifles from 6mm Rem to 300 Win Mag. Stalking up gullies and barely seeing over a rise was the main reasons for not using rests.
Yes, and I practice it as well. Probably don’t practice as much as I should, and I definitely am not shooting an MOA group either when I do it. To me, this is where “minute of deer” comes from.
I have to guess that over 1/2 of all the big game I have killed in my life were killed with shots I made off-hand.
BUT, I have killed nearly all of them at ranges that an off-hand shot was not hard to do at all.

Hunting is more important then shooting. I am a good shot. Quite good in fact, and when I was younger I was quite a bit better.

But I like to hunt. I like getting close.
That's not to say I have never made any long shots, because I have. But it lacked any feeling of accomplishment for me. It's no better then making a long shot on an 8 inch target or plate. But hunting and sneaking up.....that's what I enjoy so that's why I have not had many problems with off-hand shots. Once I am ready to fire the target is large and pretty close.
I've shot most of my deer and 1 moose off-hand. Most have been running and close. I shoot a 3006 Rem pump carbine. Up until a few years ago with a Williams peep with the aperture unscrewed leaving the ghost ring and a Williams fiber optic front sight. Lately I've been messing with scout scopes on it. But, I can't get the scope situation where I want it. The gun is too heavy with a scope and doesn't balance. So, in spite of my 53 year old eyes, I think I'm going back to the peep. I think, the fiber optic was changing size in varying light which caused the accuracy issues I was experiencing. Maybe a white post? Maybe a custom aperture a little tighter than the ghost ring? I bought the pump 20+ years ago because that's what Larry Benoit used. The fast follow up with the pump hasn't been very meaningful - I've only ever shot a deer twice on one occasion. The beauty of the pump is that you can make that gun fit you. I've done a lot of wood butchering on the stock and it is FAST. That is the key to shooting off-hand at running deer in the thick stuff. Every second you take, that target is smaller and there's more stuff between you and him. If he's more than 60 yards away I'm not comfortable. But, that's when I'm exerting myself -heart rate up, heavy breathing. If the deer is standing and I haven't just climbed a thousand feet, I can hit every time off hand at 100yards but, I wouldn't want to go much further. I'm going to put together another rifle with a scope. It'll be a bolt, lighter than the pump, a carbine and have a scope no more than 2x on the low side. I have found that there is a magic magnification which is fastest for my eyes. Seems to be right around 2x. 2.5 is too much and 1.5 is too little. I've also, discovered in my experiments that what's printed on the magnification ring isn't necessarily accurate and varies scope to scope. The only other thing I'd say to the OP is that I've been shooting 180 core lokt round noses forever, thinking that they're better at getting through the brush which inevitably jumps between you and the deer when you pull the trigger. This may or may not be true. If at all possible, I use a rest.
Two of the last three I shot offhand were very close, under 30, and with a crossbow, not a rifle. The very last was shot offhand from a seated position in a treestand, left-handed, at about 50. Not my best shot, but it dropped like a rock from a spine hit and never budged.
If the crosshairs are stable, pull the trigger. Probably half the animals I've shot have been while standing on my hind legs. I also still hunt a lot.

But I'll shoot sitting if the situation allows and prone off a pack if the situation demands.
Most of my hunting shots have been off hand. I have purposely added weight in the forearm (bedded into) to give the balance I was seeking in a rifle.
Originally Posted by Dogger
Do you take shots offhand at game? If so, what is your rifle set-up, usual field conditions doing so, game animal, and self imposed range to take the shot? Does it determine your choice of cartridge? Bullet choice? Irons or scope? Action type?

Thanks in advance

Depends on the species. Slightly more elk offhand than from a rest. Only two pronghorns offhand. Somewhere in-between for muleys. 50-50 on bears. All three moose I killed were at longish ranges from a rest. 50-50 on caribou.

It so much depends on the particular habitat and terrain. I go where the elk are which is typically the spruce-fir-quakie elk jungles. The true test of a bullet is shooting up close so I hunt with premium (tough) bullets. At the other end of the spectrum are pronghorns so BC becomes more important. Last bear I killed was shot about 30 yds away when we both blithely walked into one another.

The big majority of the time I'm carrying a sub 7lb bolt action with a variable scope that makes it very easy to have both eyes open and allows to see out front of the critter for an opening in the timber/vegetation at close range, but I can also increase magnification for the long shot. A Safari Sling that makes the rifle seem even lighter, easier to wind through thick timber, easier to sling under me for long crawl-stalks (especially for pronghorns) is carried at port arms and the fastest way to bring a rifle to bear. And a shortish LOP that helps to shoulder the rifle quickly.
I always try to use a rest or brace up some way if possible but sometimes you can't. Usually because they are too close and you can't risk moving much. If my sight picture looks good I shoot.
Originally Posted by MedRiver
Even though I have successfully shot big game offhand, all that range practice just confirmed my desire to find support when possible.

I think Ive shot a grand total of 6 unwounded animals off hand in my life. That said when I PRACTICE ( not just working up loads at the range..) it is ALL offhand. I found out long ago to use any rest available, but when you are used to shooting offhand , any rest seems luxurious. My farthest offhand shot taken was at a bear at 100 yds. I guess Im not too comfortable with an offhand shot farther than that.
Up until a few years ago we guided whitetail hunts on some of our property. I requested that everyone who hunted with us to shoot at our range so I could access their ability. Very few could hit a milk jug freehand at a 100yds, some couldn't hit a milk jug using a rest. Being able to hit what your shooting at is the only thing that the hunter has 100% control over. I usually don't shoot freehand unless it's a moving target.
Time to get my waders out for this thread. So far we have 2 or 3 pages of people claiming most of their shots are offhand. One is even claiming a 350 yard offhand shot on purpose. 💩 sure is getting deep in here.
Offhand shots at reasonable distance of course , but 350 yards offhand repeatable on purpose? 😂 😂 😂
I carry a monopod shooting stick and use it for standing and seated shots which I limit to 100 yds.. I mainly hunt whitetails in the woods where most shots are 100 yds. or less.
I have killed several deer off hand. I try to avoid it. If I think there is a chance that I may have no choice, I take a monopod shooting stick with me.
You can always tell a flat-brim by how many bipods he has bolted onto his **hunting rifle**.

People need to practice real shooting and less bench style hunting.
I just typed out a well thought out (if I do say so myself) response and somehow lost it. So if it magically reappears - sorry bout that.
In fifty years of deer hunting, I have shot quite a few deer.

The most helpful training for off hand shooting for me was probably silhouette shooting.

I have used .243 Winchester, 30-06, .270 Winchester, and .338 Win. Mag. to name a few. I think the 30-06 worked the best, probably because I restocked it and worked on the stock until it came up perfectly for me.

Although I also will take advantage of a rest, I have used the previously mentioned rifles successfully on freestanding shots.

My favorite memory is when when I made a good shot on a running buck and made him slide forward in the fresh snow. With the Mauser 98, 30-06.

Most of those running shots were from about 60 to about 100 yards, maybe a little less.

My favorite hunting scope is a Leupold 1.5-5, VariX lll. Usually left on 1.5. I had an older M8 4X but gave that to my son with a .270 JC Higgins. Loved that gun as well.
I’m wondering if that rifle is named old tree fiddy? 😂
I mostly still hunt. In thick cover or the edges of thick cover.

I'd have to guess most my deer were shot off hand and moving.

-Jake
For me, knowing I may have to take an off-hand shot has no influence on what rifle, sight or cartridge I carry. It was already mentioned but no matter what you carry, if the crosshairs/bead/post never leaves the vitals once the excitement kicks in, squeeze. You have to know your cartridge limitations too. I think all would agree that gaining that comfort level all comes down to practice, practice, practice. I don't carry 24x target scopes into the thicks, but I'm sure there are some out there that do great things with such a set-up. Again, it all comes down to practicing with your gear.

I grew up in the fields and have been taking off-hand shots since I was maybe 7 - this was almost a daily thing. Most of this was lizards with an old Crossman BB gun (that I still have), but I would also pop in-flight carpenter bees hovering around the pepper trees with my old Red Ryder (which I wish I still had). If you do that enough, rabbits off-hand out to 50 yards gets a lot easier. Shooting big game is easier still as long as you can control your nerves and buck fever!
The 💩 is getting deeper with each post! Now they’re are shooting bees out of the air with BB guns. This place is great 😂😂
I'll play. I have shot several offhand over a lot of years. Having said that I like sticks or any improvised rest that is available and upright completely offhand is IMO never the "best" option but is sometimes necessary and definitely doable. I think some of the best practice contributing to hitting offhand for me has been many years of squirrel hunting (which I still do and enjoy as much as any hunting).
99% of the time my shots are off hand.
Are y’all hunting on the wide open plains? I take offhand shots when necessary, especially birds, small game etc. However in the woods especially when deer hunting there’s usually a tree, bush, grapevine, large rock or something to take a rest off of.
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky
The 💩 is getting deeper with each post! Now they’re are shooting bees out of the air with BB guns. This place is great 😂😂

Sounds funny when you put it that way! True story none-the-less. Good thing I had a compass in the stock!!

Attached picture Ralphie.jpg
Originally Posted by Teal
I have yes.

Rifles were Ruger 77 in 30-06, Rem 700 in 30-06, Kimber Montana in 7-08

Doesn't impact my choice of rifle - it's an opportunity thing, not planned or built specifically for.

Range wise - most all of my hunting is 300 yards and in so it's less about range and more about "what do the crosshairs look like" when I try and hold them. If steady and good, animal's good - touch it off. If not - I don't. Might be a million reason why I don't - but being off hand (instability) is just one of them.

This
Are y’all hunting on the wide open plains? I take offhand shots when necessary, especially birds, small game etc. However in the woods especially when deer hunting there’s usually a tree, bush, grapevine, large rock or something to take a rest off of.

And why take a rest for a 50 yard shot? I know I'm going to hit it in the boiler room
Back in late '95 I was preparing for a trip to South Africa. My main rifle was a Mod 700 Classic 35 Whelan reamed out to the Ackley version. Decelerator pad, trigger adjust down to 2 3/4#. I had loaded up 100rds of new 35 Whelan brass with fireforming loads of H4895 and Speer 220 seated into the lands. My main hunting round was the original 250X going about 2550-2600, set +1" at 100. I had Mondays off then, and the rifle range then was only 4 miles from my home. I would shoot 50rds of 22 Magnum from a 3x9 scoped Marlin 783 (trigger was slicked up to also 2 3/4#. Then I would shoot 20 rds of fireforming loads. I used a 100yd target. I started out with an 8" Shoot N See (or whatever it was back then, ha) and on week three I went to a six inch S&S. All from hunting positions. About 70% was offhand. It sure came in handy. In May of '96 I shot a Blue Wildebeest at 45yds running, a standing Red Hartebeest at 75yds, an Oryx at 30yds, all off hand. I shot a Kudu about 110yds from kneeling on one knee, and a zebra running at 125yds offhand. I used a friends 300WM and 375 H&H for Impala, Blesbuk, warthog, one from shooting sticks rest offhand. All under 100yds.
I grew up shooting a 22 rifle small game and pest shooting. Lots of practice. I've shot many more head of game, offhand, but don't want to be called a liar ( like it matters, ha) I just wanted to show what practice looks like for me.
Another thing, even offhand, game is "moving", targets are not, of course. If a guy can do some Prairie Dog shooting or small game/pest shooting, it will teach you how to be a good "game shot". Taking your time in a hurry, ha.
PS I hate to see those guys on "Life Below Zero" shoot offhand at game way at "what looks like on TV anyhow" hundreds of yards away. None of my business, really, I just don't like it personally.
Originally Posted by moosemike

And why take a rest for a 50 yard shot? I know I'm going to hit it in the boiler room

Didn’t say you have to use a rest for a 50 yard shot but I will of one is available.
But we have people on this thread claiming offhand shots at 350 yards on purpose and shooting stuff out of the air with BB guns, come on now.
I've shot a lot of game off-hand but only as a last resort. If circumstances allow, I will seek any kind of stabilization tree, rock, sitting, whatever. I'm confident in my ability on deer sized game to 100 yards. Rifle, caliber or sights have no bearing on the decision.
Still hunting is mostly what I do. Offhand I have shot a few deer and elk. My go to hunting rifle is a 98 chambered for 30-06. I am a firm beliver in slings as shooting aids. If possible I look for a rest. Blacktail slipping through the brush, and elk through the lodgepoles, don't hold still long enough to find a rest, has been my experience! YMMV
I’ve made more than a few $$ betting people at the public range (prior to deer season) that they couldn’t keep 2 of 4 shots in a paper plate at 100 yds offhand. It’s not easy but a LOT of people think it is. Also funny when I bring a newbie to our 100’ offhand .22 shoots - they always think that it will be “simple”. After the shoot they are typically dejected and many never come back no matter how many times I tell them that everyone that is a “beginner” shoots similar (typically not so good). After years of doing this and silhouette shooting I’m much more confident in my abilities to shoot offhand but even so, like many have said here, I use a rest of some sort if possible - the point is ethical dispatch of the game animal (or at least it should be).

PennDog
Originally Posted by PennDog
I’ve made more than a few $$ betting people at the public range (prior to deer season) that they couldn’t keep 2 of 4 shots in a paper plate at 100 yds offhand. It’s not easy but a LOT of people think it is. Also funny when I bring a newbie to our 100’ offhand .22 shoots - they always think that it will be “simple”. After the shoot they are typically dejected and many never come back no matter how many times I tell them that everyone that is a “beginner” shoots similar (typically not so good). After years of doing this and silhouette shooting I’m much more confident in my abilities to shoot offhand but even so, like many have said here, I use a rest of some sort if possible - the point is ethical dispatch of the game animal (or at least it should be).

PennDog

yes.. joe average Hunter go enter a high power silhouette match and you will be highly humbled and learn your abilities are probably not what they think..
the majority of my hunting is in a FL or GA swamp, or heavy thickets and piney woods. Rare to get a shot more than 50 yards, and most of the time I will be using a Marlin lever rifle. So yeah, I take offhand shots, as you often don't get more than a quick look at the deer (or hog). That said, I prefer to shoot snugged up against a tree.
Something I use to do, 20 years or so ago...

right before season, I'd go around the corner to where I was on Forest service land..

I'd set up a target on a tree, that I just printed off my computer...

I'd take 25 rounds and my CZ 452, and would take shots at 75 to 100 yds away, from various field positions...

do that for a day or two in a row, and then give it a rest for a day or two...

within 10 days or so, I'd notice how my shots tightened up by a fair amount.. on a 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper...

It didn't take much, to tighten up your off hand shooting, in a short period of time..

didn't cost much either, considering a box of 550 round packs of 22 LR from Federal was $8.00 at our local Walmart...

Some trigger time like that sure yielded good results in the field.

all you were teaching yourself, was to manage your ability to hold steady, and coordinate your trigger pull.
I have shot and continue to shoot offhand at standing and running game. I started hunting deer in the Adirondacks in the 80s and I decided quickly that if I was going to kill a deer I needed to learn to shoot offhand. I talked to experienced hunters and I learned some tricks but my offhand skills got better when I practiced shooting at deer in running deer shoots offered in one of the local hunting clubs.

Later I moved to Northern Europe for my job and I was fortunate to hunt moose, boar and deer there. The hunting clubs that I hunted with required you to be able to hit moving targets at 100 meters before they allowed you to carry a rifle. We practiced a lot and I got better. In one particular club the requirement was to shoot 40 consecutive shots at a moving target of moose going both directions, right to left and left to right, and get 80% of the shots in the kill zone. This may seem difficult but with practice it can be achieved.

We practiced at moving targets several times per year. The hunters I hunted with in Europe were very good at hitting moving targets. I hunted with .308 and 9.3x62 bolt action rifles. Most hunters I hunted with used 308 rifles because of its effectiveness, ammunition availability, and cost.
© 24hourcampfire