Home
Posted By: hanco .22 Creedmoor - 02/15/23
Will the .22 Creedmoor be a factory rifle? Fierce makes rifles but they are expensive. Does anyone else?
Posted By: memtb Re: .22 Creedmoor - 02/15/23
hanco, possibly so……for our confused youth! 😉😂 memtb
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: .22 Creedmoor - 02/15/23
Perhaps if the round becomes SAAMI approved. Likely won't see widespread factory rifles chambered for 22 Creedmoor before that point.
Posted By: Gaschekt Re: .22 Creedmoor - 02/15/23
Not seeing any brass available. Can't imagine this being different enough to justify switching from a fast twist 22-250. In the end a fast twist 223 is probably more useful and practical for a coyote/varmint setup. With a 223 who cares if a couple pieces of brass gets lost.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: .22 Creedmoor - 02/15/23
I’m sure they already would be factory had it not been for all the shortages over the past 2-3 years. Wonderful chamberings and offerings for those who have a open mind.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: .22 Creedmoor - 02/15/23
Originally Posted by Gaschekt
Not seeing any brass available. Can't imagine this being different enough to justify switching from a fast twist 22-250. In the end a fast twist 223 is probably more useful and practical for a coyote/varmint setup. With a 223 who cares if a couple pieces of brass gets lost.

I don’t know why everyone has to bring up comparisons with the creedmoor case every time it’s mentioned? No 22 creedmoor is not earth shattering compared to a fast twist 22-250. You are correct sir. The point is not many 22-250’s come with 7-8” twist barrels and certainly not any factory ammo to take advantage of it.

Just like a 6 creedmoor isn’t much different than a faster twist 243 but take a look at 243 twist rates and more importantly available factory ammo and prices.

I know some 243’s are being twisted faster and most of us handload. That’s not the point. For the factory rifle person shooting factory ammo these new chamberings are doing the same thing or very similar to what once took custom barrels and hand loads.
Posted By: Gaschekt Re: .22 Creedmoor - 02/15/23
Peterson's cartridge Company has one factory ammo offering for 22 Creedmoor loaded with the Sierra 77gr MK. $39/20 box and temporarily unavailable. https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/4978

These days I'd only consider something I can actually get my grubby mits on.
Posted By: Fotis Re: .22 Creedmoor - 02/15/23
Get a cheap savage or Rem ADL. I opted for the latter.

Buy an excaliber barrel and barrel nut and put it together yourself. Easy peasy! I did it in less than 2 hours. Worked out great!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: fats Re: .22 Creedmoor - 02/15/23
Nice rifle and shooting Fotis!
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: .22 Creedmoor - 02/15/23
The 22CM definitely has my attention and appears to be a fine round. I'm just into .243win and see no reason not to have a 22 - 243 or 22 - 243ai built instead of 22CM.
Posted By: mathman Re: .22 Creedmoor - 02/15/23
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
The 22CM definitely has my attention and appears to be a fine round. I'm just into .243win and see no reason not to have a 22 - 243 or 22 - 243ai built instead of 22CM.

The throat may erode a bit slower with the Creedmoor.
Posted By: mistem Re: .22 Creedmoor - 02/15/23
Tag
Posted By: Fotis Re: .22 Creedmoor - 02/15/23
Originally Posted by fats

Thank you sir. BTW 1:7 twist
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: .22 Creedmoor - 02/15/23
A fast twist 22-250 is darn near equal, but manufacturers aren't making those either. The Tikka is an exception.
Posted By: Houston_2 Re: .22 Creedmoor - 02/15/23
Originally Posted by Fotis
Originally Posted by fats

Thank you sir. BTW 1:7 twist

Thanks, I was going to ask that. Very neat rig and a deadly shooter.

Nice Fotis.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: .22 Creedmoor - 02/16/23

That’ll whack a Whitetail.
Posted By: Fotis Re: .22 Creedmoor - 02/16/23
Not sure about that bullet but the heavyweight hammer bullets in 22 will for sure!
Posted By: Remington280 Re: .22 Creedmoor - 02/16/23
Fotis

I've really considered a 22 CM barrel for my Savage.
What brass are you using and dies?
Posted By: hanco Re: .22 Creedmoor - 02/16/23
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
A fast twist 22-250 is darn near equal, but manufacturers aren't making those either. The Tikka is an exception.

I have one, accurate, fun to shoot with 62 grain Bear Claws

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Fotis Re: .22 Creedmoor - 02/16/23
Originally Posted by Remington280
Fotis

I've really considered a 22 CM barrel for my Savage.
What brass are you using and dies?

Hornady for both
Posted By: Remington280 Re: .22 Creedmoor - 02/16/23

Buy an excaliber barrel and barrel nut and put it together yourself. Easy peasy! I did it in less than 2 hours. Worked out great!

What free bore are you using
Posted By: KH1473 Re: .22 Creedmoor - 02/16/23
I bought a REM 700 6.5, ordered a 7 twist barrel from Douglas, had the action worked a bit and stuck it in a 1st Gen Ti stock with a Timney. It’s a one hole rig with 88/90gr pills. Prob my favorite rifle to carry
Posted By: JPro Re: .22 Creedmoor - 02/16/23
I don't see why the manufacturers wouldn't go SAAMI with the .22 Creedmoor soon. It would give them something new to hype that also has usefulness. They could tout hyper velocity and the long-range game with the same round that will already feed in anything that 6.5CM fits in.
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: .22 Creedmoor - 02/16/23
Well they have done dummer offerings
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: .22 Creedmoor - 02/16/23
If they do I probbly won’t be dumping my 22-250s
Posted By: Kaleb Re: .22 Creedmoor - 02/16/23
No one said anything about needing to dump 22-250’s. I know tons of guys will feel the need to defend their 22-250’s for some reason. I will never understand why people get all uptight when a new chambering is introduced? Things change with time and improvements are often made. No one interested in a 1-7” 22 caliber is out to get put down or even care about your 1-14’s. Some people just hate change I guess? I know people have been having sex for thousands of years but I sure glad the razor was embraced….grin.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: .22 Creedmoor - 02/16/23

I did mine with a sporter weight 7 twist criterion remage. Shot great unbedded in an old ti stock but I just got a new mdt polymer coated adjustable chassis for it so I'll have to see how it shoots in that. I may go back to the ti stock for weight and simplicity.

Bb
Posted By: keystoneben Re: .22 Creedmoor - 02/17/23
When I burn through my stash of 55gr 243 bullets. I'd like to rebarrel my Kimber hunter to one. Should be a nice combo.
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: .22 Creedmoor - 02/18/23
Alpha also has 22 Creedmoor SRP and LRP brass. Best price when you include shipping that I could find was Blue Collar Reloading.

I'm in the middle of having one built on a SS 700 and Pac-Nor lightweight contour in an 18 oz. MPI stock. It should make a nice light walking around rifle.

I'll try to write up a comparison between the 22 Creed and a Montana 22-250 AI in equal barrel lengths of 22" and 1-7 twists when the new 22 Creed is complete.

I shot only 2 critters other than prairie dogs with the AI last fall. an antelope and a whitetail. Antelope was 370 and the Wt. was under 100. Neither moved shooting 88 ELD-M's at 3200.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: .22 Creedmoor - 02/18/23
This 22 CM sounds interesting. Is there a good accurate prefit barrel for a Tikka T3x? I've got a T3X that's not getting much attention.
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: .22 Creedmoor - 02/19/23
Originally Posted by JGRaider
This 22 CM sounds interesting. Is there a good accurate prefit barrel for a Tikka T3x? I've got a T3X that's not getting much attention.

Proof research makes all steel factory contour shouldered prefits.
Posted By: HalH Re: .22 Creedmoor - 02/19/23
It looks like .22 creedmoor brass can be ordered with the choice of Large or Small primer pockets.
Which are preferred?
Has anyone had any trouble with Small primers in cold weather?

Hal
Posted By: BradArnett Re: .22 Creedmoor - 02/19/23
I've shot SRP 6.5cm down to -5° with cci450's with no issue.
Posted By: Fotis Re: .22 Creedmoor - 02/19/23
Originally Posted by Remington280

What free bore are you using
Not sure. I stopped screwing in the barrel as soon I got full contact on the go gauge
© 24hourcampfire