Home
Posted By: Tarquin Sako S20 is no more... - 04/07/23
Eurooptic is letting them go cheap.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Sako-S20-Hunter-Rifles.aspx
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 04/07/23
The stock alone prevents me from having any interest.
Posted By: fortymile Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 04/10/23
I bought one recently, the Precision model. Didn't get that good a deal but it was about 400 off MSRP. I like it. Very accurate, great trigger, smooth action. A little heavy but is very pleasant to shoot off the bench (6.5 Creedmoor). Lots of room in the magazine to load long high-BC bullets out much further than factory ammo. Sako did it right in my opinion.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 04/10/23
Love mine.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 04/10/23
I don't think that the "Sako S20 is no more". Sako has been advertising the Fusion camo version since SHOT 2023.

The black stock version might be discontinued. They have Roughtech, Camo, and Polyfade listed. I think those are new, and what Sako had alluded to for new S20 models.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 04/10/23
Originally Posted by Tarquin

you all can have them. Thumbhole----yuk
Good call Fotis.....they really suck, yuk, and all that other stuff......I will take 'em all day, every day.

5 shots, 1/2" square
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Verifying the first 5 shot group wasn't a fluke.....

Pretty good killers too.........
Posted By: fortymile Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 04/10/23
Mine shoots like yours does JG. I love how the trigger position can be adjusted to fit your hand. I moved mine all the way forward, and backed the pull weight to minimum which is probably under 2 pounds. Trigger is fantastic. There's absolutely nothing I don't like about mine.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Good call Fotis.....they really suck, yuk, and all that other stuff......I will take 'em all day, every day.

5 shots, 1/2" square

Verifying the first 5 shot group wasn't a fluke.....

Pretty good killers too.........

They shoot well never denied that, but look like buttocks...like Glocks reliable but ugly as hell.
You do not have to sacrifice beauty for accuracy dude.
300 RUM

30-378 Bee

and yes they also kill

See...I can have my Kate and Edith too! LOL
Of course they kill.....anything that neccesitates wearing a crash helmet and mouth piece to shoot it should kill pretty quickly. I have no desire for those big boomers, but glad you like 'em. I got over "magnumitis" about 10 years ago.
Originally Posted by Fotis
300 RUM

30-378 Bee

Talks about beauty, proceeds to post a rifle that looks like a piece of space debris from a Chinese spy satellite, and a Weatherby with a calf scours colored Cerakote paintjob.
Posted By: spence1875 Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 04/10/23
Sako has had a string of flops after the 75 series it seems. The 85s had a center mounted ejector that caused many to have feeding issues and the S20s are god awful looking and a little weighty by todays standards.

That being said all of them are know to be great for accuracy.

Spence
Posted By: Fotis Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 04/11/23
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
300 RUM

30-378 Bee

Talks about beauty, proceeds to post a rifle that looks like a piece of space debris from a Chinese spy satellite, and a Weatherby with a calf scours colored Cerakote paintjob.

Thank you Dr Ruth... now I never dogged anybody I always said one man's trash is another man's treasure. I have beautiful custom deluxes .....#1 s rugers.....1886 Winchester with deluxe wood.... it all varies. Hell I even have a gorgeous 1965 made Sako finnwolf in 308 same year I was born.... never getting rid of that. In my opinion after the 75 everything else was crap. But thank you for your input
Posted By: Fotis Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 04/11/23
Here's another one you might consider handsome. 300 bee. I know it does not measure up to your thumb hole sako. by the way the last pictures of Sako finnwolf

https://imgur.com/1MKtvfF

https://imgur.com/jNO5XmO

https://imgur.com/Ti7uugx

https://imgur.com/LkBZ85W
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 04/11/23
Originally Posted by spence1875
Sako has had a string of flops after the 75 series it seems. The 85s had a center mounted ejector that caused many to have feeding issues and the S20s are god awful looking and a little weighty by todays standards.

Spence

To each their own I guess, but I do know in the 51 years I've been chasing big game animals, I've never once worried if my rifle was ugly or not.
Here's another one you might consider handsome. 300 bee. I know it does not measure up to your thumb hole sako. by the way the last pictures of Sako finnwolf

The finnwolf is legit. If you carried that wooden Weatherby around with me aoudad hunting for 4 days it would wind up looking like a herd of pitbulls got ahold of it.
Posted By: bigJ Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 04/11/23
Sako has had a string of flops after the 75 series it seems….

Isn’t that when beretta took over?
Posted By: memtb Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 04/11/23
Nice rifle, nice elk, awesome groups!

And I’m bet’n that, your Kate and Edith comment went right past a bunch of folks! 😉 memtb
Posted By: horse1 Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 04/11/23
I wonder how many rifles Sako could sell if they decided to commercialize the 223AI in a rifle w/2.5-2.6” mag box, 22” 1:7 sporter with that lightweight carbon stock from the carbon Finnlight?

Commercialize it w/Lapua or Sako making brass, ammo, and a high BC tipped Scenar of 75-85gn.
Originally Posted by horse1
I wonder how many rifles Sako could sell if they decided to commercialize the 223AI in a rifle w/2.5-2.6” mag box, 22” 1:7 sporter with that lightweight carbon stock from the carbon Finnlight?

Commercialize it w/Lapua or Sako making brass, ammo, and a high BC tipped Scenar of 75-85gn.

Almost zero. Now a 22 creed might make some waves...

I love the "it's not pretty enough" crowd. Are we talking guns or barbies for f ucks sake?
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 04/11/23
I guess those are standard flush cups swivel sling holes, the flush-cups on my Manner eh5 Thumbhole are not on the bolt side. Does the S20 have them on both sides, I haven't seen a picture of the left side.?.
The bolt handle would be digging into your back.

JGRaider, what is yours chambered in?
Good shooting bugger.
6.5 PRC ol mike. Yes, flush cups on both sides.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 04/11/23
10-4 thank you.

6.5 PRC great cartridge, it puts about 250 fps on my 6.5x47.
That's a 'good' hog & coyote.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 04/11/23
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Originally Posted by horse1

Almost zero. Now a 22 creed might make some waves...

I love the "it's not pretty enough" crowd. Are we talking guns or barbies for f ucks sake?

I disagree. If assembled properly thinking about mag-box and projectile selection, well supported with excellent ammo availability and lots of hype from print and digital media, I think they could make a go. You tout it as a dirt-cheap/no-recoil way to "practice" with similar ballistics to your "deer/big game" rifle. Get PRC to start a ".378 bolt-face" division, heck, you could call it the 223PRC.
The 20 fps from the extra case capacity isn't worth the decrease in feeding reliability. A normal 223 with fast twist, sure.

Neither the 1950s Weatherby style nor the Finnwolf are particularly attractive. The Sako is a neat gun, though!
Originally Posted by bigJ
Sako has had a string of flops after the 75 series it seems….

Isn’t that when beretta took over?

right after they introduced the 75.
Posted By: Sako Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 04/11/23
All I know is I love mine... I did buy the precision model not the hunter model... extremely accurate and I love the adjustability of the stock and trigger.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 04/12/23
I ordered an S20 Hunter 300win-mag from euro-optic, been wanting a Sako & a 300win. Itch scratched.

I have a homeless Bushnell 3x12-44LRTSi , 30mm warne rings , 1lb. of IMR-8133, 208gr. amax < can't let these things go to waste smile .
Posted By: fortymile Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 04/12/23
At those prices this is a good time to get one. They are well made rifles with great features and amazing accuracy.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 04/12/23
Originally Posted by fortymile
At those prices this is a good time to get one. They are well made rifles with great features and amazing accuracy.

I've watched several videos of S20's in 243, 6.5 creed & PRC, 300win. etc. , one guy from England bore-sighted the rifle. First shot was out about 3/4'' next four into a ragged hole, with factory ammo at 100 yards..

A guy on long-range-hunting forum S20 300win. shoots great groups with every bullet he's loaded for it. That's good proof of an accurate rifle.

BUT,, why in the world do these companies use slow'ish twist barrels, like the 7mag. w/a 9.5 twist?? HEY SAKO,, it's 2023
I think they should have figured out how to lighten the stock. It’s just heavy for what you get. Love the form factor. It’s just too heavy for a shorter weight barrel rifle
Posted By: roninflag Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 04/18/23
My brother bought an S20 precision. 6.5 prc. his groups for five shots with t hree different factory loads , less than .4 , with handloads a little less than that. it is amazing for the money.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 04/22/23
Sako S20 arrived yesterday, I like it.
300win.mag. , Bushnell LRTSi 3-12-44 , Warne steel, low rings.
Plan on loading Lapua brass , 208 - 230gr. Berger/Lapau/Hornady bullets.
Buttery smooth action , fit and finish is great , feels great in hand and shoulders well.
Love the adjustability of the stock and trigger.

Tarquin - Thanks for the Euro-Optic sale link ...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 04/22/23
Outstanding. You're gonna love that setup. Keep us posted if you don't mind.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 04/23/23
I'll do it, it might be a little while before I get to work with it.

Fotis ,,, don't say it ! ! ! laugh
Posted By: ShortMag11 Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 04/24/23
[quote=JGRaider]Good call Fotis.....they really suck, yuk, and all that other stuff......I will take 'em all day, every day.

5 shots, 1/2" square

JG....factory or handloads??
Posted By: ShortMag11 Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 04/24/23
[quote=Fotis]You do not have to sacrifice beauty for accuracy dude.
300 RUM

Fotis...what's the details on this one??
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 04/25/23
Originally Posted by ShortMag11
[quote=JGRaider]Good call Fotis.....they really suck, yuk, and all that other stuff......I will take 'em all day, every day.

5 shots, 1/2" square

Those were the Norma gold tip match 143's. Their bondstrike (like an accubond) 143's shoot practically the same. Seems to be high quality ammo.
Posted By: ShortMag11 Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 04/25/23

5 shots, 1/2" square

Those were the Norma gold tip match 143's. Their bondstrike (like an accubond) 143's shoot practically the same. Seems to be high quality ammo.

Thanks!
Posted By: Sako Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 04/25/23
so why are people saying that they are no more..? They are still on the Sako website as available product? My guess is that the ones that are being closed out by Euro Optics are the ones with the plain stocks... Sako is now offering camo and other stock colors for the S20...
Posted By: Speedwalker Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 06/08/23
I love my Sako's and I have older ones and 75's and 85's. What kept me from getting the S20 was I was worried about the strength of the stock in the area of the pistol grip. Otherwise I'd have bought one when S20 prices went down. I've yet to find a Sako I didn't like though. I'm still wanting to get an S20 just to try it out.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 06/08/23
Originally Posted by Speedwalker
What kept me from getting the S20 was I was worried about the strength of the stock in the area of the pistol grip. Otherwise I'd have bought one when S20 prices went down.

It has a fairly substantial metal skeleton. The buttstock does attach near the tang of the action though.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 06/09/23
Fuglier than a bag of a ssholes..
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 06/09/23
It's a real deal killer how ugly they are.......first 5 rds @100, factory Norma ammo, 1/2" bull

Posted By: beretzs Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 06/09/23
Yeah…. Not sure how you live with that JG.
Posted By: ShortMag11 Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 06/10/23

5 shots, 1/2" square

Found a helluva deal on one of these last week. Will pick it up Monday. Hopefully it shoots as good as yours!
Posted By: geedubya Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 06/10/23

5 shots, 1/2" square

Found a helluva deal on one of these last week. Will pick it up Monday. Hopefully it shoots as good as yours!

Ya!

Got one in 6.5 MannBunn myself. Came with both stocks.

GWB
Posted By: ShortMag11 Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 06/11/23
JG....factory or handloads??[/quote]

Those were the Norma gold tip match 143's. Their bondstrike (like an accubond) 143's shoot practically the same. Seems to be high quality ammo.[/quote]

Found a helluva deal on one of these last week. Will pick it up Monday. Hopefully it shoots as good as yours![/quote]

Ya!

Got one in 6.5 MannBunn myself. Came with both stocks.

GWB[/quote]
I don’t believe mine is coming with both stocks. If I don’t like the thumbhole I’ll see what’s out there for a replacement.
Posted By: ChanceD Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 06/11/23

5 shots, 1/2" square

I was looking at these and although they’re not the prettiest I do know Sako quality. What is a helluva deal give or take?
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 06/11/23
Here's where I got mine.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Sako-S20-Hunter-65-PRC-24-Bbl-1-8-Rifle-JRS20H319.aspx
Posted By: geedubya Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 06/11/23
Originally Posted by ChanceD
I was looking at these and although they’re not the prettiest I do know Sako quality. What is a helluva deal give or take?

Bought on Gunbroker NIB @$1,100.

as mentioned, both rifle and stocks were NIB.

All in @ $1,302 which includes taxes, GunBroker Fees, shipping and FFL transfer.

ya!

GWB
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 06/11/23

Spence

To each their own I guess, but I do know in the 51 years I've been chasing big game animals, I've never once worried if my rifle was ugly or not.
And why would you ? Lookin like you do, ain't nobody you run across gonna notice your rifle. Kinda like they ain't gonna notice a bird in the bush next to a train wreck.

5 shots, 1/2" square

$956 shipped NIB. Eurooptics has them on close out as well.

5 shots, 1/2" square

My mistake, $1,053 with tax, shipping and GB fees.
Posted By: geedubya Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 06/11/23

Smokin'

Cheapest I see them is $1,049.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Sako-S20-Closeouts.aspx

ya!

GWB
Posted By: ShortMag11 Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 06/14/23
Picked up mine yesterday. Seems like a really good quality rifle. Anyone splurge for the added muzzle brake??

Attached picture Sako S20-01.jpg
Posted By: Speedwalker Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 06/15/23
After seeing everyone's comments I might have to get one.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 06/15/23
Originally Posted by Speedwalker
After seeing everyone's comments I might have to get one.

You won't be sorry.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 06/28/23
Picked up mine yesterday. Seems like a really good quality rifle. Anyone splurge for the added muzzle brake??

I did although I haven't shot the rifle, because all of my reloading stuff is packed up for moving.
Perfect fit and finish.
Posted By: ShortMag11 Re: Sako S20 is no more... - 07/03/23
Originally Posted by ol_mike

I did although I haven't shot the rifle, because all of my reloading stuff is packed up for moving.
Perfect fit and finish.

I think I am also. Still hemming and hawing about what scope to put on it. Looking forward to shooting it in a few weeks.
© 24hourcampfire