Home
I’m going to buy my granddaughter a 7mm08 for HS Graduation. I’ve narrowed to down to a Tikka T3X, a Sako 85 Graywolf or Browning X Bolt Speed SR. I want an 18” Barrel for a suppressor. The Browning is already 18” and suppressor ready. The other two would have to be shortened and threaded. I think they would all be accurate. Suggestions?
Get her something with a pretty piece of Walnut. Something she'll always remember. Synthetics are all the same
I agree with the walnut. Nothing wrong with a browning either.
Originally Posted by blairvt
Get her something with a pretty piece of Walnut. Something she'll always remember. Synthetics are all the same

Should look damn good with a suppressor hanging off the end of the barrel too. If he's going to cut the barrel and thread it for a suppressor, just go with a Tikka and a black plastic factory stock. Doesn't need to be anything fancy. The way kids are these days, she will probably like that better anyway..
I would get the Sako 85 Graywolf. I'm a sucker for stainless steel and a black/grey laminated stock. Any of the three would be a fitting HS Graduation gift. But the Sako is a class act. Imo a step up from the other two. I have a Sako 85 in 260, Stainless/laminate. I also have 4 Tikka T3x's. The Tikka's all shoot great. They are as accurate as the Sako. But side by side, the Sako wins hands down. Stainless steel parts trump Plastic parts. This is a special gift from Granddad. God willing she will be using that rifle long after you are gone. I'm sure with a smile on her face remembering you. The Sako screams quality and will last a lifetime. She will pass it on to her children. I have owned and sold Browning's and Tikka's but my Sako is going to a grandchild. JMO.
Walnut
I would let her choose. Might be fun to shop together, shoulder different rifles, talk about the features, etc. Great gift for her!
Get the Sako. More money but a lifetime keeper.
Tikka. No brainer.
Wait, is this for you, or your granddaughter?
He's buying for his granddaughter who was born in the 21st century. She wants plastic. His grand mother would have wanted walnut.

I like Tikka, but I'm sure the others are good too. The fact that the Browning is already the right length and threaded would make me look hard at it.
I didn't see 7-08 listed for SR Speed.
For what it’s worth, I tend to agree with 4th_point. Get her involved. Not only would she likely enjoy the experience and getting to hang out with her grandfather but you’re much more likely to get her a gift that she’ll really like.
Sako 85 Classic if ya can find one,PM sent as well
When in doubt buy Sako
I agree with the above posts about getting her involved. Make a weekend if it and check out some local gun shops that carry them. Let her shoulder them and work the action to see what she likes best. Then, for the rest of her life she’ll not only have a great rifle she likes, but if will always bring back good memories of you and her spending time together. Anybody who asks he about her rifle in the future, she’ll certainly tell he story of how she got it.

You’re a great grandfather!
Originally Posted by hitman
Sako 85 Classic if ya can find one,PM sent as well

This^^^^^^^^Mine in 6.5X55 is one of the last rifles I would ever let go. It looks so good and it works so well.
Originally Posted by Ngrumba
I’m going to buy my granddaughter a 7mm08 for HS Graduation. I’ve narrowed to down to a Tikka T3X, a Sako 85 Graywolf or Browning X Bolt Speed SR. I want an 18” Barrel for a suppressor. The Browning is already 18” and suppressor ready. The other two would have to be shortened and threaded. I think they would all be accurate. Suggestions?

Don't sleep on the Sako 85 Carbonlight either. I think Eurooptic has a few left---5.5 lbs I believe.
If anyone is planning to get me something for Christmas, a Sako 85 would always be welcome & my #1 choice out of the OP’s list. I love my 30-06. I’d be thrilled with any model as long as it’s left-handed.

But if I was shopping for a teenage girl, I might lean towards a compact Tikka with a 12.5” LOP if she had a smaller stature that would make the shorter rifle a better fit. I would consider the Browning X-Bolt Micro Midas for the same reason.

But if a full-sized rifle fits, then all of those options are great choices. I love my Sako & all four of my Brownings are nice.
Granddaughter has an old L-61 Sako 270. She shoots well. She is 5’2 weighs 100 lbs.
Tikka.

Love Sako but if you aren't going nice blue and walnut, I'm not sure they
are worth the extra $$$
sako 85 are pretty rubbish in SA and overall

bedding block sucks

mag length is dumb

3 lug is dumb.

seen enough click no bangs with brownings i won't run one if weather is a problem.

tikka in stainless in 7mm-08 is the answer.

leave the walnut to the FUDDs.. if the factory plastic can't work, the marketplace has a plethora of options to replace it.
Tikka out of those choices. Pretty safe bet.
Buy all 3.

Let her choose the one she wants.

Keep the other 2 for yourself.

Point

Set

Match
Originally Posted by Ngrumba

If she's of smaller stature, the X-Bolt Midas has in the past came with coupon for a full size stock when they outgrow the compact.
Believe Tika has on size receiver/bolt for multiple calibers. Didn't like long throw for short action calibers. Sold my Tika. My Browning .308 BLR is just OK. Just picked up .243 Sako, but it sure feels good.
Originally Posted by Creekside0423
Believe Tika has on size receiver/bolt for multiple calibers. Didn't like long throw for short action calibers. Sold my Tika. My Browning .308 BLR is just OK. Just picked up .243 Sako, but it sure feels good.

I love it. I swapped out the short bolt stop for a long bolt stop and now I can reach the lands with 150 gr ELDX.

P
Having shot and owned all three on your list at some point I would reccomend either the Sako or a nice X Bolt. Both are beautiful rifles that are of great quality. The X Bolt is one of my favorite hunting rifles out there.

That said, there is nothing wrong with the Tikka, but its quickly becoming the glock of the bolt gun realm catching up to the 700. In this instance I look at it this way, would you buy someone a Glock as a memorable gift? I know I probably wouldn't, so fo me the Tikka is a pass in this situation.
Originally Posted by Creekside0423
Get the Sako. More money but a lifetime keeper.
Need some help from someone with a better memory than I. Who makes a rifle designed for the ladies? I saw one a while back , it looked great with a walnut stock that had a slight cast to it something like shotguns. My wife is of small statue and she loved it and I thought it felt good to me.
Weatherby Vanguard Camilla
Originally Posted by ElkSnort
Weatherby Vanguard Camilla

Thanks, old age has set in and I could not remember what Brand, model or name. Daniel
Thanks for the responses. She liked the Tikka- so we bought one today. Now to get some scope rings so I can mount a 2.5-8 Leupold.

Jeff
© 24hourcampfire