Home
They don't have to be fancy fellas, just reliable...

Here's my "meat getter". A 1991 manufactured Ruger M77 tanger in a period correct B&C Carbelite Classic stock. Chambered in the venerable 7x57. It was sub-MOA in a previous Boyds laminate stock (so the barrel is definitely a shooter) and 1-2 MOA in the current B&C stock using average factory ammo--so no problems for hunting!

It sports Ruger rings and a nice reliable Japanese-made Bushnell Elite 3500 2-7x32, PT&G steel bottom metal, a new MKII magazine spring (old one had "sprung" and I was having feeding issues) and I had the extractor nitre blued. The trigger is still sporting the original factory settings at about 3.5-4 pounds, clean break. Works for me!

I also have a sweet CZ 557 short action in 243 with both 4- and 10-round magazines and an easily detachable picatinny rail with a Minox RV-1 red dot when I am not using the nice iron sights--but it's more of a stalking rifle and not the focus of this thread.

The Kurgan's Meat Getter, 7x57

Let's see yours!
Sounds like you should get it fixed. There’s absolutely no reason it shouldn’t be shooting sub moa in the B&C stock. If it was in the Boyd’s. No reason to go backwards in accuracy when replacing stocks.
It's actually about the same, as I measure accuracy by over the counter ammo and field conditions. The Boyds stock accuracy was measured off the bench. I would say it's 1 MOA off the bench now. Close enough for me.
I'm forecasting a fair number of Rugers and Tikkas.

Ruger Hawkeye Predator .308 with a 3-9x40 VX2 LRD in #3/4 rings. Factory two-stage trigger. Shoots 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and Accubonds to same point of aim at 2,880fps, plus or minus. Just a grab-and-go stainless sporter that is easy to shoot.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I have a small assortment of Mausers and savages and a Remington 700 adl, all in 270 , 7mm, or 6.5mm's.

They all do the same thing and are prized for different attributes.
I have a few rifles. I hunt with all of them. I take the nice rifles out to hunt in a canvas soft case. I do have a Savage Hog Hunter in 308. I guess it’s my no frills deer-pig slayer. I bought it for a suppressor, cause a couple of boys whine about me shooting pigs during deer season. A 170 grain Partition with 11 grains of Trailboss make a quiet load.
Originally Posted by hanco
I have a few rifles. I hunt with all of them. I take the nice rifles out to hunt in a canvas soft case. I do have a Savage Hog Hunter in 308. I guess it’s my no frills deer-pig slayer. I bought it for a suppressor, cause a couple of boys whine about me shooting pigs during deer season. A 170 grain Partition with 11 grains of Trailboss make a quiet load.

I am also a Trail Boss fan and have used it in 7x57, 308, 45-70 and 32 S&W Long for reduced loads. Can't find any up here for the past year and a half. I have supplemented using IMR 4227, which does pretty good in 308 and 7x57 to emulate 30-30 power levels.
The Ruger .308 and Tikka .243 are newer acquisitions and have not been out yet but the 700 (308) is starting to get some mileage on it.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
My nice rifles are hunted out of ground blinds but my Kimbers do most of the dirty work in the tree stands and stomping through thickets pushing deer.
CZ 550 chambered for the .270 Ingwe.
I like to tinker with my rifles, and have inleted, bedded, finished and checkered the stocks of most of them. Any "frills" that they have are what I have done myself. I make them to fit me and use them to hunt with.

My first centerfire rifle, a Herter's Model U-9 .30-06 barreled action that I put into a Herter's semi-inleted walnut stock back in 1966.

I shot 125 grain bullets through it for prairie dogs, 150 gr Hornady bullets for deer and antelope, and 180 gr Sierra bullets for elk.

In 1977 I had it rechambered to .30 Gibbs for my primary elk rifle.

Until I "retired" it in 2004, it kept my freezer full of both mule and whitetail deer, pronghorn antelope, 29 elk, 2 Shiras Moose, a Mountain Goat, and an Alaskan Caribou... all shot with my handloads.

In 1977 I had a Mauser Mark X .25-06 barreled action rechambered to .257 Ackley that is still my "go to" medium size game rifle.

With mainly my 117 gr Sierra GameKing handloads, I've shot prairie dogs, coyotes, dozens of deer and antelope, 3 Montana Unlimited bighorn rams, a Canadian Dall ram and Mountain caribou, and my 2nd best 6x6 bull elk.

In the early 2000's I bought a Remington 700 in 7 mm RM that I have taken to Africa several times, and on 3 Canadian Caribou and Musk ox hunts.

I recently put it into a Weatherby Vanguard Griptonite stock...

For over 40 years I had wanted a .300 Weatherby, and in 2009 I finally bought one in a Weatherby Vanguard. I immediately restocked it in AA Fancy Walnut, pillar bedded it an hand checkered it in in my favorite multi-panel pattern, and it quickly became one of my favorite rifles.

Shooting my Barnes TSX and TTSX handloads, I have used it first on some Texas Exotics, Montana elk, a full bag of New Zealand animals, 3 African hunts and a hunt in Azerbaijan for a Dagestan Tur.
[img]https://i.imgur.com/83JDNZ7l.jpg?2[/img]
I used a 1970's Ruger #1 in .243 for many years, but these days the shots are fairly short on my place, so I use a Howa Mini chambered in 375 SOCOM. I shoot everything with it.

Tony

Like Doc, above, I have a M99C in .308, T/C Encore Pro Hunter in 25-06 & a Savage 111 in .243.

All fed factory fodder & all killed multitudes of whitetails.

M99C has also taken 2 moose.

Deb has a savage Lady Hunter, in 7mm-08, which has multiple whitetails & a moose, using Barnes Vortx 120gr TSSX.
308 Kimber MT.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
No current pictures, but definitely no frills! Lol! All original Remington 721 in 300 Savage. Found a great load using TAC and Hornady 150gr Interlocks.
300 Savage is no slouch.
Marlin 336 SC in 35 Remington. Where I do most of my hunting now, this 35 Remington works great.

No pic, no need. As predicted....

RAR 308, Bushnell elite 3-9x40 in weaver rings. Not pretty but I actually like the ergos. It balances well and fits me. I treat it about the way I treat my lawm mower.
At one time my REM 700 XCR II in 25-06 was my all around. Tweaked it with a B&C Alaskan, Timney, bedded it and it wore a 6x42 Sightron.

But about 2 years ago I bought a Vanguard Ibex in .308. It’s about 1 lb lighter with a Cabelas / Meopta 3-9x40 and likes 165 Gr Tipped GKs. So it’s what I usually grab.

If the weather is nice I’ll bring out the Savage 99 in .308 or the 336 in 30-30.
Probably use the .308 the most.
Originally Posted by SLM
When did you get that oryx, SLM?
700 ADL .243, Ti stock, 6x MQ.

[Linked Image from ]
Lotta nice rigs in this thread.
This one has put a bunch of meat in the freezer since 1969! .3o/o6

3 years ago.

Hot enough down there for you?

Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by SLM
Uberti 1885 Courteney Stalking Rifle with iron sights & a Ruger #1A with a fixed 6x42mm Leupold. Both in 303 British. I would say my single-shot falling-blocks in variety of classic calibers are about as no frills as it gets with me. The Ruger below was the last rifle I put a deer in the freezer with.

760 30-06 with a Leupold VX-III 2.5x8.

i used the m94 (30-30) since i was 14yo. then about 5 years ago, i sent her to JES Reboring to do a 35/30-30.

Winchester m94 in 35/30-30 (JES Reboring)
Originally Posted by SLM
3 years ago.

Hot enough down there for you?

Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by SLM
Gotcha!

Yes, it's hot enough down here for me! smile
no photos, but mine is a standard m70 fwt in 280 rem with a GPO-4-12x42 that loves 140 gr Noslers, BT or partitons over 61 gr of H4831
Any of these. They all handle nicely.

There's some nice rifles there with some nice wood; can you list them off?
I put more meat in the freezer with an old economy grade Win 670 in 30-06 w/ a Weaver V7 than all other rifles combined. I tuned the trigger, Acra-glassed the action, and floated the barrel in the original "hardwood" stock sometime around 1978. I zeroed it at 300 yds, went forth and just killed schitt with it.

If I could find a rock to lay it over, it was good for head shots on grouse out to eighty yards with 165 gr ballistic tips over 60 gr H4831 and a CCI 250 in LC 67 brass. Or prone on the BLM, it accounted for hundreds upon hundreds of ground squirrels in May/June each year before they went back into hibernation as their food sources dried up.

I did not even own a camera in those days. Not a single pic of the rifle or game taken therewith. I finally bought a camera after our first granddaughter was born.

Boring and dependable, I sold it over twenty years ago and put the funds toward a Ruger #1 in 7mm STW, which has killed two critters.
This is Plain Jane. M700 30-06 in a Brown Prec Stock. Kills real well no matter what is on the menu.
700 chambered in .280 Rem

Cool rifles fellas.
Are my eyes deceiving me, or is the bolt handle still on there ?

Originally Posted by SKane
700 chambered in .280 Rem

Based on some of the "no frills' guns here, I'd love to see some of the "frilly" ones!

These are pretty basic:

My first deer rifle. Winchester 70 Westerner (ADL style) .243 (Nikon pre-Monarch 2-7X)

Winchester 70 Synthetic Carbine 7mm-08 (Pentax Compact 3-9x)

BSA Model E P-14 Sporter .303 (Weaver 4x)

My Montana 7-08 gets used most of the time.
Winchester M70 in 30-06 with a Leupold VXII 3-9x40. Purchased new in Moscow, ID in 2001 at Gart Sports for $629. Stainless versions were $649. If I knew then, what I know now, I’d have bought every single one in the store. As pictured, field ready, was about $900.

Here’s a pair to hunt the world. Left handed KS Mountain rifles one in 300 H&H and the second in 375 H&H. Both will do to ride the river with and both will bring home meat.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
I can’t say this is a completely no frills hunting rifle…..but is my only hunting rifle, and has been since 1990. It’s a tool, and is used as such……it’s like a painting, to be hung on a wall to be admired! 😉 If you look closely you can see finish and stock is worn from use!

A Model 70 Winchester action, Douglas Match Grade SS barrel, express sights, McMillan Classic Stock, Pachmyar Decellerator pad, Leupold 3.5-10 CDS in Leupold QD base/rings …..chambered in .375 AI! memtb

Bloody Mary, .243 A.I. Rio7
Ah,ha. I always wondered what a guy should do with those Lapua bumper stickers. All this time I have been dropping them in the trash. No more of that!
Ruger Hawkeye 308 All Weather. Has had several different scopes, can't help myself, but has always got the job done.

Originally Posted by SLM
Are my eyes deceiving me, or is the bolt handle still on there ?

Bugger-glued for photo opp. whistle
Winchester 1894 takedown in 32-40…

Couple 7-08’s

Short range rifle..

White meat maker..

308 Montanny

Nuther 308
Depends what you call basic I guess. Mine that I would call no frills.

My Dad's M71.

Savage M 1920 W/bolt peep in 250-3000

Rem 141 in 35 Remington with Lyman tang peep.

M98 8x57 with a redfield receiver sight.

M94 30-30 iron sights

Savage 170 carbine 30-30 iron sights

Originally Posted by pathfinder76

That’ll work.

Mines my old 338

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

The ol Mashburn is catching up though.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Mr Kurgan,

I believe I dang near bought that rifle, sir smile

Happy you have it.
My rifle critter getting lately has been by fairly blinged and frilled up rifles, for the most part.

This plain jane Win 1300 Ranger though, is a different story. It was my first real gun and has been getting meat since I was 12. I'd have to think about it, but I'd guess it has killed 30 species of gamebirds/animals, of various species, plus quite a few varmints. For a while I shot an Ithaca 37 and CZ Redhead more than the 1300, but I always end up going back to it.

This 700 SS in 25-06 has been around the longest and probably done the most work.

This 280AI that Redneck spun for me on a M70 Classic Stainless is a close second.

But this 7-08 seems to be the primary meat axe for next few years.
This one. Plain 700 7 08 that I put in a McMillan stock. Elk, deer, antelope, it's put more meat in my freezer than any other rifle.

My no frills hunting rifles are almost all Ruger Paddle stocks. This one happens to be in .35 Whelen but have them in .22, .30-06, .300 WM and .338 WM also. Have owned them in a bunch of calibers.

this was my second meat gun, but my oldest son took it!!! lol, i built it when he was 1yo, he was 16yo when the rifle would fit him.

'98 FN Mauser, Fajen synthetic stock, Timney trigger, 20" Douglas featherweight barrel in 7x57 and 3-9X Swift. i killed many deer with it and my son is still doing that today.

I went through a period of switching out rifles frequently going through sakos, remington 700s, husqvarnas (FN and husqvarna actions) and winchester model 70s (pre 64s, pushfeeds and classics), in 25-06 (4), 257 Roberts (3), 6.5x55, 270 (several), 7x57 (3, at least), 280 (3), 7mm Rem Mag (at least 2), 308 norma mag, 35 whelen, etc.
For the past several years the #1 rifle has been a pre 64 fwt model 70 in either 270 or 280, in a mcmillan (edge) or a Pacific Research (current favourite) stock, topped with a 3.5x10 leupold and talley LW.
Current #1 is the 280 in the Pacific Research stock, again with a 3.5x10 on it. I anticipate no changes to my "recipe" for a hunting rifle though I may put together another "spare". For what/where I hunt they "work" for me.
My first one ended up in my sons hands for his first one. Now I have a few that I rotate between but if we are talking “meat getter” when I take the 243 out I usually bring back groceries. Mostly because I’m tagged out on a buck and I’ve switched to freezer fill mode… never had a deer go more than 30 yards with the 243. Still need to take a good buck with it.

Pap put the Shillen barrel on the tikka action in a Brown precision stock, glass bedded and floated it. He used it for years stacking deer like cord wood. This was after he developed neck and shoulder issues and started disliking recoil. I actually killed my first ever deer with the 243 before it was mine. So when he told me he might sell it I jumped all over it.

The paint is starting to wear off the stock and chip in a couple spots. I’ve considered repainting it but the sentimental aspect won’t let me do it. Has an old Leupold 3-9 on it and shoots 85gr Sierra spitzers and hollow points in the same hole all day with 43gr of 4350.

Post image not working for me right now keep getting errors..
Dont get any less-frilly’er than a ruger american with a meopta scope…

No pics.. 😂😂
No frills?

Meaning nothing special at all? That would mean something still common and having no collectability at all.

Some rifles were bare-bones basic when made, and now-days are not easy to get or inexpensive.. So to me that would not qualify as "no frills".

My Remington M141, M81 and my M1 Garand as well as my Husky 9.3x57 were all made as plane grade rifles but today are not easy to get and certainly not low priced as compared to a Ruger American, Savage Axis or Mossberg Patriot. So "frills" is the term that needs to be defined.

For me, the ones that I have that is closest to that basic idea is a Mauser Scout rifle made all from used parts except the scope and mounts. Another is a Mossberg MVP in 308. Also my Marlin M36 24" barreled rifle was basic when made, but today commands a fairly high price. Same with a super clean M99 Savage in 300 Sav. If "no frills" also has a ceiling price or value of lets say $600, then AR15s in 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel and AR10 style rifles are basic, but not inexpensive so I don't know if they qualify or not. Same with my 375H&H which is a Mauser and was not decorated but for some basic checkering, but today would be priced a bit higher then what "no frills" may mean in the minds of the readership.

So what does that term mean exactly to the OP, for the purpose of this thread?
I’ve been switching back and forth between 3 the past bit

Tikka T3x in 7mm08, swfa 6x, Hornady 139’s and 4350
Ruger Hawkeye .358 win, Leupold 1.75-6, Speer 220’s and 3031
Ruger MkIi 30-06, new Redfield 3-9, Hornady 150’s, and 4895

This year I’m dusting off my .260 Rem Mountain Rifle and it will enter the fold.
Stone stock Ruger 77 round top, Leupold 3x9, in 30-06. Paid $425 for it many years ago. I admit I bought for the wood but it has done everything I asked of it and held up well. Pretty basic inexpensive rifle I would say.

In the raw - too cool to care. I love it! blush

Custom Shop 700 in 7-08.

I have only had it a couple of years. Kilt 2 pigs and 1 buck so far. Wish it had a shorter barrel but it will stay around here.
There isn't a rifle shared in this thread I don't like smile Keep 'em coming.
All of my hunting rifle are the embodiment of "no frills". In fact, they are mostly old home made junk. Mostly Mausers but a couple of Rugers and a Winchester. Because I'm poor, I had to put the barrels on and do the stockwork myself. All are strictly utilitarian. My newest scope is a 15 year old Bushnell Trophy but none of the old scopes have ever let me down. GD
DT
In the spirit of greydog’s lament here is my favourite hunting rifle. Built by him. I didn’t post it earlier on this thread as I consider it to be frilled. But a meat getter it certainly is.

Is that your 7 Rem?

That’s a sharp one as well.
It is. It’s been a great rifle.
It is. It’s been a great rifle.

It's got all the right pedigree.

Is that an EDGE shell and innards Legend?
Originally Posted by SS336
Stone stock Ruger 77 round top, Leupold 3x9, in 30-06. Paid $425 for it many years ago. I admit I bought for the wood but it has done everything I asked of it and held up well. Pretty basic inexpensive rifle I would say.

That is a great looking stock!
My two favorite meat getter rifles…

and one that was a fave, until my daughter claimed it four years ago….

Going to pick up a new one tomorrow. 6mm Remington on a 1909 Mauser.
Here's my no-frills rifle, the Remington 722 .257 Roberts that my grandmother used to kill everything from pronghorns to elk in central Montana. It was given to her by her second husband in 1953 (my grandfather died during the Great Depression), a hardware store owner in Denton, Montana. At least six family members have used it to take big game.

It's still very accurate, and I killed this pronghorn doe in 2016 at 350 yards on pretty breezy day with a 100-grain Barnes TTSX handload.

Also used it some when guiding during the late 1980s, in one instance killing a wounded pronghorn buck at around 550. Of course, that was before laser rangefinders, but by using the plex reticle as a rough RF, managed to get it done.

Might have to take it hunting again this fall....

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Brad
308 Kimber MT.

Have loved this picture since the day you posted it. Great bull, great gun. The 308 gets my attention any day.
Originally Posted by Doc_Holidude

Watt’s that Ruger chambered in??
I've shot a few deer with this faux TI in 257 Roberts.

Tikka 06, 168 ttsx, vx3 3.5-10 CDS
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Dont get any less-frilly’er than a ruger american with a meopta scope…

No pics.. 😂😂

Ah, yes it does !

Youth M111 Savage, wearing a slip on pad to extend LOP, chambered in the awesome .243, wearing a Simmons 8 point, 3-9 x 40 scope, fondly named "meat gun" !

About $320 in total spend on the package, back when Doug was 12 (now 28).

I've said it before, it's put more deer meat in our freezers, than all our other rifles, combined.

The true epitome of a "no frills meat getter" !
This shotgun has probably brought home more meat than my elk rifle, these past few years…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Killed more deer and hogs with this Martini conversion rifle than any other. It is a 357 Super Mag / 225 Win Mag switch barrel. Big leaf maple stock, 357 SM brass escutchions, bushed firing pin, that I built. The 357 SM with the 200 RCBS plain base PCed is the real deal n a 16" barrel. The 225 throws a 53gr pretty fast, good on yotes.

Originally Posted by Reloder28

That was my .280 Rem I named “Earl”. My daughter shot her first deer with it, and for Christmas that year I gave it to her. Although I don’t think I had much choice, as she kinda already claimed it from me that season. 😎
30-06 Remington 700 CDL, 6x Leupold currently. Used a good old 2-7x Redfield in the past. Various handloads 165 - 200 grains:

It's been such a great rifle! Was just practicing with it this morning. Easily sub MOA still.

Regards, Guy
Originally Posted by Cascade
30-06 Remington 700 CDL, 6x Leupold currently. Used a good old 2-7x Redfield in the past. Various handloads 165 - 200 grains:

It's been such a great rifle! Was just practicing with it this morning. Easily sub MOA still.

Regards, Guy

I kinda figured that one would be showing it's face. grin
It's done so much for me Scotty. smile

Guy
Ruger 77, .300 wm.

Originally Posted by Reloder28

That was my .280 Rem I named “Earl”. My daughter shot her first deer with it, and for Christmas that year I gave it to her. Although I don’t think I had much choice, as she kinda already claimed it from me that season. 😎

Both of my girls shot their first's with the exact same rifle. That 280 has kept us fed for many years. Grat's to your daughter.
Thanks, that’s awesome! Does your’s shoot lights out? Ol’ Earl is uglier than homemade sin, but wicked accurate and tough as a dump truck full of neck bones. She just loves it.
Just one of those run of the mill disposable Savage 111’s in .30-06. It just plain shoots and I’m starting to not be as embarrassed of its uglyness as I used to be……

No reason to be ashamed of that rifle laying on a buck like that.
Originally Posted by shrapnel
This shotgun has probably brought home more meat than my elk rifle, these past few years…

Got to help me out on this one Kirk. What is it?
[Linked Image]

Savage 116 bcss 30-06. Birthday present to myself a few years ago. I've seen very few for sale. I got it for less than half what they listed for new. Fits me very well.
JC Higgins (husqvarna) in 30-06 with brake.
Kinda tough to make out in this pic but it started life as an Interarms Mark X in .30-06 some stock modifications and a barrel band later it is the "go to" gun when I think I'm gonna shoot something bigger than a deer.
This was culling in Africa...I have a tad over $200 invested in this rifle laugh

Originally Posted by shrapnel

Originally Posted by Joe
Got to help me out on this one Kirk. What is it?

Appears to be a Burgess shotgun from the late 1890's. The company was started in 1892 & the shotguns were made from 1894 until the company was bought by Winchester in 1899.

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/shotguns/burgess-folding-gun/
Savage 116 30-06 in B&C stock. Wears a burris E-1 3x9x40. Very no frills. Gets it done with 162 absolute hammers at 3050 fps via Varget..

Originally Posted by Fotis
Savage 116 30-06 in B&C stock. Wears a burris E-1 3x9x40. Very no frills. Gets it done with 162 absolute hammers at 3050 fps via Varget..

That looks good from here.
7-08 Montana with a boring old 2-7X33. Kills everything I point it at.
No pics, cuz they're a PIA to post, and everyone knows what a Montana looks like.
If you really need to see it, go to Image Gallery and look up 7-08 Montana.
Just a plain jane Kimber 308.

8x57 Zastava M70 and a few other 8mm's along the way.

Originally Posted by 8MMX57JS

]

Big ol' black bear!
8MMX57JS-

Lotsa bloody noses in those picts! laugh
Great photos and cool rifle.
Originally Posted by Joe

]

Big ol' black bear!

Made Boone and crockett. 20 3/8" Skull. Pretty happy with that bear.

Darn nice bear……Congrats! memtb
Just a field grade Manufrance Robust No. 4 plain extractor 16ga SXS. Close up it looks like it was used as a club to kill everything it took.

Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Would like to know the details of the rifle?
8MMX57JS-

I second that!
Originally Posted by beretzs
8MMX57JS-

I second that!

The 8-Mouser, Germany's 30-06. cool cool
Originally Posted by ingwe
Kinda tough to make out in this pic but it started life as an Interarms Mark X in .30-06 some stock modifications and a barrel band later it is the "go to" gun when I think I'm gonna shoot something bigger than a deer.
This was culling in Africa...I have a tad over $200 invested in this rifle laugh

Outstanding!

Guy
Originally Posted by Joe

]

Big ol' black bear!

Made Boone and crockett. 20 3/8" Skull. Pretty happy with that bear.

That’s so cool, never have wanted to shoot one, but I like the hide. It’s beautiful
Originally Posted by kandpand

Nula 24 in the most flamboyant of chamberings.

Booooiiiiinnngggg! 30.06 or .270?
27🌈
Great bear!

However according to B&C the "awards" is 20" minimum--but the "book" minimum is 21", according to their latest info. That said, I have never been able to totally grasp why they make the distinction. Am always more impressed with body and hide size in bears than skull measurement.
Nice bears.

So if it's a .270 NULA, why do you consider it a no-frills rifle? Even with the original-style paint job, most hunters would consider them pretty "frilly" due to the price.... smile
This may be the best thread idea ever!

Pretty much all of my rifles are no frills!

My absolute favorite game-getter is my Winchester Model 70 Classic Stainless in .30-06:

Attached picture IMG_4670.jpeg
308 Win my old man built on a Jap back in the 70s. That's about as no frills as I own, not even d&t for optics. It's not much of a looker, but it's a lights out shooter.

I've not killed anything but paper and steel with it since he handed it off to me a few years ago, but he plugged a few deer with it back when I was a kid. It's nasty little bugger to shoot...the stock fits me like garbage and it's fairly light.

27🌈

That is danged funny...
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

So if it's a .270 NULA, why do you consider it a no-frills rifle? Even with the original-style paint job, most hunters would consider them pretty "frilly" due to the price.... smile
It’s simple, it works, there’s nothing extra.
We backpack hunt and it’s just the one I always grab. It’s the meat getter.

I guess I don’t necessarily equate “frilly” with cost; but perhaps that connotation is there?
My Husqvarna 243 Winchester has been around a while and passed through several hands, but it will still get the job done.

Tikka t3x lite 6.5 Creedmoor

Same here. Like the setup. Colt conversion, leupy, talleys.
Got to be an '06. Although a .270 would be cool too.
Originally Posted by Coyote10

Same here. Like the setup. Colt conversion, leupy, talleys.
Got to be an '06. Although a .270 would be cool too.

quote=AKwolverine]

Nula 24 in the greatest chambering (270).[/quote]

grin
760, 35 Remington. Cheap Konus 1.5-5 scope for 2 yrs which worked just fine and accounted for 2 buck and a doe in those 2 yrs. 2 were bang flop, 1 a short run with lots of blood. Rifle and cartridge has quickly become 1 of my favorites in limited use so far. Have since threw on a VX Freedom 2-7.

Originally Posted by ShadeTree
760, 35 Remington. Cheap Konus 1.5-5 scope for 2 yrs which worked just fine and accounted for 2 buck and a doe in those 2 yrs. 2 were bang flop, 1 a short run with lots of blood. Rifle and cartridge has quickly become 1 of my favorites in limited use so far. Have since threw on a VX Freedom 2-7.

Man, I like that rifle ST! Very nice!
This is a no frills Mauser M98 that was slicked up with a new FN military 7mm Mauser barrel when sporterized and is just about perfect for me!

Safe Queen 7 Whizzum Montucky. 22"+. Hint........................

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

450 Howell meat getter. Rio7
Originally Posted by RIO7

Thank you rio.

Now if I can just get GW to post his up; and perhaps a few more from Kurt, I should be in the clear.

No frills = everything ya want & nothing ya don't – just some paint and a little lighter than most. laugh
Originally Posted by RIO7

I've shot that .450 Howell.

ya!

GWB
Didn't get a chance to hunt this one yet as I just picked it up not long ago. JC Higgins M50 in America's cartridge. So far just shot it with this cheap Tasco 3-9 that came on it. Just getting started with it but it's gonna shoot. Racked 4 just under an inch with this load on last test to see what it would do. Gonna do more testing soon weather permitting.

Bare bones old school rifle. 54 caliber built by my buddy for me last yr. Stock was cut out from a log cut here locally. Carried it the last day of season last yr and no shooting so didn't get it bloodied yet, but will be trying to change that this yr.

No frills = everything ya want & nothing ya don't – just some paint and a little lighter than most. laugh

OK!

Eileen hunted with pretty much the same rifle for a number of years--except it was an ULA, made in 1990, taking game from pronghorns and deer to caribou and elk. She then switched to a NULA .257 Roberts, and has taken the same sort of variety with it since...
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
Bare bones old school rifle. 54 caliber built by my buddy for me last yr. Stock was cut out from a log cut here locally. Carried it the last day of season last yr and no shooting so didn't get it bloodied yet, but will be trying to change that this yr.

That, sir, is one stunning piece of wood. I am very tempted to have a smoke stick built for me. something a bit shorter with great wood.

No frills for me is this cheap Stevens 200 with Nitrex scope. $300 rifle all up. Sure aint pretty but it has been tough as heck and effective.
A pig in the snow! Sweet!
Beater is a pawnshop J-lock Remington 700 .270win with a 3-9×40 Buckmasters. Seen a lot of miles and killed a lot of critters.
Factory Mod 7 Stainless. 7mm/08 (aka that cartridge going away pfffftt). Pretty basic metal but crazy AAA Grade plastic on the stock. Has an unworkably short eye relief Bushnell 2-7x32 Firefly scope I’m ashamed to mention. Actually don’t care for stainless/plastic. But the dang thing starts whimpering to get out of the safe like a love starved beagle so what’s a guy to do.

[Linked Image]
No frills, boring 308. Shoots well and is nice to carry.
Great pic.
Steyr Model M Professional .30-06 with Kahles 6x42 scope with #4 reticle
Even more "no frills" kuiu edition savage lightweight hunter. 20" stainless barrel model. Got this on close out and a rebate. I think it was under $400....1.5-8 razor on top.
1929-vintage Springfield Armory M1903 NRA Sporter. For $45 + NRA membership card the Armory would build you one and mail it to you. Less than 5000 made total, 1922-ish to early 1930's. Production stopped when commercial gunmakers bitched about the gov't competing with them for sales of hunting rifles. This one is documented and in original configuration. Very accurate, well balanced, a joy to carry all day - it's become my go-to deer rifle. .30-06, naturally. I got it from the grandson of the original owner who lived in Alaska and toted it on his regular trips to Kodiak Island. The bears it has accounted for give it some good ju-ju IMO! Last 60-70 years before I got it, it lived in a closet.

Mine are....

Marlin 336 .30-30 with 1-4x20 Leupold

Ruger 77 Hawkeye all weather .30-06 with 3-9x40 Leupold

Howa 1500 6.5 Creedmoor in an H.S. Precision stock with 3-9x40 Leupold
Stainless 24" 7mm-08 TC Encore, older 4-12x VX-II.

For iron sight no frills Shiloh Sharps 1874 .45-100
Originally Posted by pacecars
For iron sight no frills Shiloh Sharps 1874 .45-100

Very cool Pacecars!
I'm not very good at taking pictures of my rifle and animals....6.5 fieldcraft with 2-10 shv. Not "budget" per say, but it's no frills.

Winchester 1300 Defender Pump, 12 gauge, 3".

ya!

GWB
Originally Posted by Fotis

That'll do!!
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
1929-vintage Springfield Armory M1903 NRA Sporter. For $45 + NRA membership card the Armory would build you one and mail it to you. Less than 5000 made total, 1922-ish to early 1930's. Production stopped when commercial gunmakers bitched about the gov't competing with them for sales of hunting rifles. This one is documented and in original configuration. Very accurate, well balanced, a joy to carry all day - it's become my go-to deer rifle. .30-06, naturally. I got it from the grandson of the original owner who lived in Alaska and toted it on his regular trips to Kodiak Island. The bears it has accounted for give it some good ju-ju IMO! Last 60-70 years before I got it, it lived in a closet.

Nice to see the old girls get some exercise!!
308 carbine bought here on the fire. I have lots of no frills hunting rifles, but this is one of my favorites.
As my home place is still stuck in the 1970 slug gun mentality zone, this one has been making most of my meat for the last decade. 11/87 youth 20ga with a Leopold 2-7. The short stock works great with a heavy coat.
Oh I almost forgot my Ohio meat stick in 44mag. Also bought here on the fire.
I've shot that .450 Howell.
Me too, and I saw it flatten its first critter. miles
My go-to lately. Tikka .243 in a Sako Edge.
90gr NBT @ 3100.

My trusty pair of old model 70s:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Take your pick - all mine are no-frills: Not gonna hunt them up and pic em, or list them.

The most no-frills is likely the Rem770 POS. Swapped out the no-name scope that came with the $400 Walmart special for a 6X40? Tasco (proven scope). MOA, factory ammo, no mods except I think I tuned the trigger a bit to about 2.5 lbs. Crisp and light anyway. Worked to well over 300 yards, 2 years ago. Corelokts too! smile

I have a few Marlin X guns that have been rebarreled with Savage, Stevens, and/or Savage specs barrels in 223, 22-250, 250-3000, 257 Roberts, 260, 6.5 CM, and 7x57. Pretty much interchangeable in how they feel, shoot, and allow me to punch tags.

A lot of people used to discount the old Adams & Bennet barrels that MidwayUSA sold for a little over $100, but the 4 Savage specs ones that I have in 250-3000, 257 Roberts, 260, and 7x57 all shoot good groups and are easy to clean, not jacket collectors like a lot of Savage factory barrels are.
Nice Marlin
Originally Posted by MikeS
My trusty pair of old model 70s:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice guns Mike.
Originally Posted by Deere_Man
This one has put a bunch of meat in the freezer since 1969! .3o/o6

One sweet deer killing rifle and caliber right there
Kenneth
Originally Posted by las
Take your pick - all mine are no-frills: Not gonna hunt them up and pic em, or list them.

The most no-frills is likely the Rem770 POS. Swapped out the no-name scope that came with the $400 Walmart special for a 6X40? Tasco (proven scope). MOA, factory ammo, no mods except I think I tuned the trigger a bit to about 2.5 lbs. Crisp and light anyway. Worked to well over 300 yards, 2 years ago. Corelokts too! smile

Now THAT'S what I call no frills. Some of the ones here are pretty frilly...
Just picked up a Yugo M48 Sporterized by Zastava. Factory re-matched, high polished milled floorplate, re-blued with a nice piece of Elmwood. Factory tapped for bases. Rugged looks and functions great! This could make a great meat getter.

Will post pics later.

For sale at various locations on both sides of the border. These were sporterized in 1997 and stored away for nearly 3 decades only to resurface for the western market. I suspect these were made-up for the Serbian "home guard" in Kosovo before hostilities broke out there, but who knows.

Zastava M98 Sporter
Remington 722 in 300 Savage, wears a Leupold Vari-X IIc 2-7... We'll be out in the Wisconsin woods this Saturday for the opener.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My grandpa's 30's vintage Western will be with too...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Dean, that’s a nice looking 300 & Western!
Big 2nd that, rather have that entire outfit as most showcase rifles & scopes, and in a great hunting cartridge!
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Way cool gnoahhh.
In the spirit of greydog’s lament here is my favourite hunting rifle. Built by him. I didn’t post it earlier on this thread as I consider it to be frilled. But a meat getter it certainly is.

That's a sharp-looking rifle.

That's a sharp-looking rifle.
Here's my no-frills rifle, the Remington 722 .257 Roberts that my grandmother used to kill everything from pronghorns to elk in central Montana. It was given to her by her second husband in 1953 (my grandfather died during the Great Depression), a hardware store owner in Denton, Montana. At least six family members have used it to take big game.

It's still very accurate, and I killed this pronghorn doe in 2016 at 350 yards on pretty breezy day with a 100-grain Barnes TTSX handload.

Also used it some when guiding during the late 1980s, in one instance killing a wounded pronghorn buck at around 550. Of course, that was before laser rangefinders, but by using the plex reticle as a rough RF, managed to get it done.

Might have to take it hunting again this fall....

[Linked Image]

Just in case no one has told you lately: YOU SUCK!

You're welcome.
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
Originally Posted by las

Now THAT'S what I call no frills. Some of the ones here are pretty frilly...
I had a 770 in 300wm that had the grittiest factory trigger conceived by man and that would rust if you looked at it too hard. But it drove tacks.
This one: An Interarms Mark X that I bought a long time ago for $200, did a few modifications to it, and gave it a nice " patina of use". .30-06...When you don't know what you are going to shoot on a given hunt and want to cover your bases. This one got a lot of use in Africa....did some culling with it.

I picked up this early production shorter barrel 35 Whelen Classic, had been rode hard, so re-finished it, in and out. Makes a very good woods rifle for most any size critter and can push on out for longer distances.

Sharp rifle. Those were great shooters.
Good choice
My Ruger Hawkeye, 358 Win, I use all the time. It wasn’t cheap but it gets a lot of abuse.
Howa gameking in 6.5CM with the larger scope from my buddies howa chassis rifle, 4-16x50 i think. Nikko sterling scope that came on it was good but i wanted to be able to see a little farther at times. Been nothing but good to me for the 5 or 6 years I've had it
This one: An Interarms Mark X that I bought a long time ago for $200, did a few modifications to it, and gave it a nice " patina of use". .30-06...When you don't know what you are going to shoot on a given hunt and want to cover your bases. This one got a lot of use in Africa....did some culling with it.

That's a great-looking rifle.

Okie John
Probably more than any others, this one keeps the freezer full of free-range, organic pork. 7x57 barrel of unknown make turned down by Tom Jackson (dpcd), 1909 Argentine action, B&C Carbelite stock, Leupold VX-1 3-9x40 in old school Weaver bases and rings.

Shoots 175-gr roundnose bullets pretty well too.

Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan 375 ruger with a 2.5-10 vortex and rattle can OD Green

[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/18945329#Post18945329[/img]
Forbes 20b getting it done
Don’t get much cheaper RAR 308 Predator. 3 X 9 Leupold #4 bought used here on the fire.

Late 90's savage 110 30.06
721 that John Brown rebarreled for me
30-06
It had a cold shot from hell and shot tight consecutively
The extractor broke on it after many rounds and I fixed it but didn’t trust it with parts getting scarace
Paid 100.00 for gun with a 284 barrel on it and went with rebarrel cause whoever set the barrel back did so that open sight screws were on the side of the gun
Never shot it in that configuration
Might have been a shooter
But looked like crap
Kenneth

Attached picture IMG_0530.jpeg
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I put more meat in the freezer with an old economy grade Win 670 in 30-06 w/ a Weaver V7 than all other rifles combined. I tuned the trigger, Acra-glassed the action, and floated the barrel in the original "hardwood" stock sometime around 1978. I zeroed it at 300 yds, went forth and just killed schitt with it.

30+ years ago, a friend was tickling and noodling local river. Pulled up a Win 670. Original owner fell thru the ice previous winter and ditched the rifle while getting out. Original owner had no interest in the rifle after being submerged for 6-8 months. My friend pulled it apart, stripped it down, dried stock, scrubbed and oiled metal work. AFAIK, still uses it today as his primary meat getter. Brings to mind the old saying about the Indian and the bow...
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/18950906/blacktail-2023

I think this is as no frills as it gets. Winchester 25-35
Mines a Mauser 98 that I built (first one). It has a Shilen #1 contour match grade barrel, 22". Sawed the bolt handle off and welded a "model 70 style" from Brownels back on. Recessed crown. Dayton Traister sportsman (sp) trigger, Redfield rings and bases. Leup 1.75x6. in a Brown precision pounder (it was a second). Machined a model 70 2 position wing safety into the shroud. I whittled on that trigger guard to shape it pretty for a lot of hours. Push button floor plate release. It weighs 7lbs and 3 oz. loaded. Action and barrel are moly coated. I shoot PMC Eldorado 165 gr. "X" factory loads in it. Sub MOA so rarely since 1993 have I ever loaded for it. I bought all I could afford in 1993 (160 rds.) and have 41 left. It gets shot regularly with cheap whatever's just to shoot it, but I don't waste those Eldorados. It has accounted for a lot of whitetails and the only Mule deer I've ever shot. Its nickname is "Mr. Ugly" as the stock is still in the raw (just brown) and worn slick from years of use. Every time I say I'm going to finish it my son objects.
My no-frills meat gun is a Marlin 336SC, it looks just like any other 336SC, excepting maybe that M8-4X scope on it. I like to shoot it, and it shoots well, too.

Attached picture DSCN0931.JPG
Just reviving this interesting thread.
i know this one doesn't have the number it has killed (5 i think) and it is nowhere near what my Winchester m94 does, but i will included it.

Husqvarna m46 in 9.3x57

275gr WFN GC

the 9.3x57 with 275gr WFN GC is like a hammer on deer. there is no need to blood trail, it is DRT right now.
When I decide to pile up the pork here's what I grab because it's very accurate. Mesa in 6.5 CM
The Winchester 1885 ain't drawing no flies either.

The one gun I would grab for any big game hunting situation for any weather would by my Tikka T3 SS in 300 Win Mag with Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10. 5 round clip.

Unless it’s for really big bears, then it’s my Mauser 375 HH.
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
Based on some of the "no frills' guns here, I'd love to see some of the "frilly" ones!

Tuned Rem 700 action, M16 extractor, 19" Shilen SST barrel, Greyboe bottom metal, Triggertech trigger, HS Precision stock, fixed Weaver K4. 37.5" OAL. 358 Win.

[Linked Image]
My #1 meat getter is a Tikka T3x lite S.S. 270.

My Daughters is Tikka T3x lite S.S. 308

My Granddaughters is a Tikka T3x lite S.S. 6.5 Creedmoor

Originally Posted by tdoyka
i know this one doesn't have the number it has killed (5 i think) and it is nowhere near what my Winchester m94 does, but i will included it.

Husqvarna m46 in 9.3x57

275gr WFN GC

the 9.3x57 with 275gr WFN GC is like a hammer on deer. there is no need to blood trail, it is DRT right now.

Nice rifle! What diameter bullets are you shooting? My 358W with 246 WFN GC has a similar effect on pigs that you describe with your rifle on deer. Haven’t killed a deer with it yet.
I’ve got an old M98 with a shot out bore. Been meaning to send it to JES to be rebored to 9.3x57.
What are "frills" on a meat getter?
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

When you’re getting meat at the local Blue Oyster, ‘thrills’ is code for protection. Never can be too safe in today’s world, ya know?
Sorry OP, I had to do it.
It’s not my fault.
Originally Posted by T_Inman

When you’re getting meat at the local Blue Oyster, ‘thrills’ is code for protection. Never can be too safe in today’s world, ya know?
Now it all makes sense.

I figured if anyone would know I could depend on you for a straightforward answer.
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Now it all makes sense.

I figured if anyone would know I could depend on you for a straightforward answer.

I am both brilliant and god’s gift to women.

You’re welcome.
Lower 48 : kimber montana 280AI
Back in Alaska: 98 Mauser 338/06
[Linked Image]
Ummmmm..............

They're all meat getters, and all happen to be Mickey Coleman built rifles, although the one below has likely seen the most time in the woods. 7-08AI Mickey built on a 700 action with a McMillan stock.

This one gets lots of meat at a time. Rem Custom shop 375 H&H.........

Lately it has been this Win 1300 Ranger. As basic as a gun can get but it won’t quit, no matter how much I neglect it.

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

As far as rifles, I haven’t hunted a no frills rifle in quite some time. This is a custom 6.5x284 but I guess without a lot of bling and it has averaged about 1000 lbs (a guess) of meat a year for the last several years.
[Linked Image from imgur.com]
M77 Hawkeye All Weather .308Win filling this year’s doe tag.

Originally Posted by andyrping

Very nice - fine photo too. 6x36 Leupold?
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by andyrping

Very nice - fine photo too. 6x36 Leupold?

Thank you! 4x33 Leupold…. As no frills as it gets!
© 24hourcampfire