Home
Anyone seen or handled on of the Ridgeline FFT's in .308 with the 16" barrel? https://www.eurooptic.com/Christens...16-1-10-Bbl-Black-Rifle-w-Elevated-.aspx

I've a Banish 30 that should be approved and shipping in time for a whitetail hunt this fall. I'm debating a 20" vs 16" barrel for this rifle. I intend on running it suppressed as often as state law for hunting will allow me to. With most of my rifle hunting occurring in SC for whitetail, this seems like a handy set up for a blind. My apprehension is the times/states that I cannot legally hunt with a suppressor and the short barrel being an absolute "blast."

Thoughts?
My 18" 308 doesn't bother me. I'd think 16" would be ok.
Posted By: geedubya Re: Christensen 16" .308 Win? - 08/22/23
I have the Christensen Ridgeline, carbon fiber wrapped barrel in 300 PRC. Not impressed with the accuracy.

At the time, it was hard to find a bolt gun in 308 Win with a 16' barrel. I chose the Sig Cross. It is a tack driver with the Norma 150 Gr. Soft points.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

With the M-lok system it is super easy to add adapters for hanging arca-swiss plates, lights and batteries, unlike a traditional stock.

It has become my go to, thermal suppressed. With a 7" suppressor, barrel length is 23"

ya!

GWB
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Christensen 16" .308 Win? - 08/22/23
I’d go 16” only if planning to suppress it all the time. You can of course, wear ear pro while hunting with it un-suppressed, but if you forget it, ouch! Can’t see a big problem with a 20” in a blind either.

There's also the matter of balance. 16” without a can might be kind of flighty.
Posted By: Deans Re: Christensen 16" .308 Win? - 08/22/23
I have the Ridgeline FFT 308 with 20" barrel w/TB Ultra -7 suppressor. Don't think I would want a shorter barrel w/o the suppressor it is loud.
16” with a can
Posted By: Ngrumba Re: Christensen 16" .308 Win? - 08/22/23
Ive got a 17” 308 T3X with a can. Perfect boxblind rig.
Posted By: AKduck Re: Christensen 16" .308 Win? - 08/22/23
I have the 16” Ridgeline. Just waiting on my can to be released. Nice rifle, handy even with the can.
Posted By: EdM Re: Christensen 16" .308 Win? - 08/22/23
Was there not a time here where folks were chasing velocity? Now noise matters more?
Posted By: SKane Re: Christensen 16" .308 Win? - 08/22/23
16” for certain.
Posted By: JPro Re: Christensen 16" .308 Win? - 08/22/23
Originally Posted by EdM
Was there not a time here where folks were chasing velocity? Now noise matters more?

Noise and recoil both, but only in some instances. Today’s LRF availability, along with better BC bullet options, has made that last 100-200fps not as critical in many instances. Comparing actual suppressed shooting to unsuppressed, it is a concession many are willing to make.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I’d go 16” only if planning to suppress it all the time. You can of course, wear ear pro while hunting with it un-suppressed, but if you forget it, ouch! Can’t see a big problem with a 20” in a blind either.

There's also the matter of balance. 16” without a can might be kind of flighty.
Are you still lacking any experience with suppressors, yet commenting on nearly every suppressor thread?
Originally Posted by BrandonGleason
Anyone seen or handled on of the Ridgeline FFT's in .308 with the 16" barrel? https://www.eurooptic.com/Christens...16-1-10-Bbl-Black-Rifle-w-Elevated-.aspx

I've a Banish 30 that should be approved and shipping in time for a whitetail hunt this fall. I'm debating a 20" vs 16" barrel for this rifle. I intend on running it suppressed as often as state law for hunting will allow me to. With most of my rifle hunting occurring in SC for whitetail, this seems like a handy set up for a blind. My apprehension is the times/states that I cannot legally hunt with a suppressor and the short barrel being an absolute "blast."

Thoughts?
The effective length of a 20" barrel plus the Banish 30 in its hearing safe configuration will be around a 28.5" barrel. Super long. A 24.5" effective length will be much easier to wield.
The 20" length will still be loud without a can.
Essentially, with the 20" barrel you're trying to make one rifle do two things. Stop half azzing two things. Use the 16" barrel for this suppressed rifle, and use a different, normal barrel length rifle for hunting out of state.
Posted By: SKane Re: Christensen 16" .308 Win? - 08/22/23
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Essentially, with the 20" barrel you're trying to make one rifle do two things. Stop half azzing two things. Use the 16" barrel for this suppressed rifle, and use a different, normal barrel length rifle for hunting out of state.

PG spittin' facts. smile
Posted By: JPro Re: Christensen 16" .308 Win? - 08/22/23
I agree. Can't really see the sense in a 20" or greater threaded barrel for hunting unless it is burning 60gr of powder or better. And it's true that nobody says you can't have a 22-24" sporter and a 16-18" threaded sporter in the same chambering.
16 or 18” is sweet spot for suppressed like JPro suggests .
Originally Posted by EdM

Those folks have had to have shoulder surgery and suffer from tinnitus, and they still shoot all their deer at less than 200 yards.
Posted By: JPro Re: Christensen 16" .308 Win? - 08/23/23
For conversation, cutting something like a 22" 6.5CM back to 18" might cost you 150fps, probably less. Running the numbers on that with JBM, assuming the same 200yd zero with a 143 ELDX, will cost a guy an extra 2.8" of vertical drop at 400yds with the shorter barrel. Not exactly a deal-breaker, but I know the suppressed gun is far more fun to shoot, as I've shot that exact combo, back-to-back. Today's slick bullets do the work in a different manner than yesteryear's bullets and don't require redlined muzzle velocities to do the job, even at midrange distances.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Christensen 16" .308 Win? - 08/23/23
I have a 6.5 CM with a 16" barrel and a Dead Air Can, it's handy as hell, bullet speed doesn't make much difference inside 200 yards, were I kill most of the critters I shoot. Rio7
Originally Posted by SKane
16” for certain.

You need to post pics of your scout.
Posted By: KHart Re: Christensen 16" .308 Win? - 08/23/23
16" if you're gonna use a can.

It'll be a bit "blasty" without one but I've been hunting with my 18" 308 for 20 years and just use ear protection with that rifle.

If the only times you'll be shooting it without a can in the future will be while checking zero/hunting in states that don't allow them, cater your gun toward how it will be used the other 95% of the time and rock it.
Originally Posted by BrandonGleason
. My apprehension is the times/states that I cannot legally hunt with a suppressor and the short barrel being an absolute "blast."

Thoughts?

You probably don't want to hunt those states anyway.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: SKane Re: Christensen 16" .308 Win? - 08/23/23
Originally Posted by taylorce1
16” for certain.

7lbs 11ish oz
I bagged the 5-shot mag for a 3-shot flush mag.

The FFT is a little lighter but doesn't come with M5 bottom metal.

No plans on spinning knobs with this one - point-blank-thing-hitter. With the 110 Hammers and suppressed, it's like shooting a cork gun. blush
Oh, that little black/blue carbon rifle is cool. What are we looking at?
JPro-

CA Scout (16") in 6.5 Creedmoor.
Rattle-canned ode to Melvin. *grins*
I follow. I'd forgotten they made that model. Pretty cool setup for an almost factory rifle.
I'll bet it's been 20 years since I bought a rifle in factory guise. While I was bit apprehensive, it seemed to be a quick way to get the features I was seeking for a specific purpose. And most importantly - it really shoots.
Thanks, all. Going to look for a 16" model. SKane, where'd you source a flush fit 3rd for your Scout? The rifle intrigues me but I've never been a huge fan of DBMs hanging down.
Brandon,

MDT has them in stock.

LINK:

MDT .308/6.5 Creedmoor AICS 3RND
Posted By: hardluck Re: Christensen 16" .308 Win? - 08/23/23
I been wanting to try the Ridgeline Scout in 16”. I have a MPR that is 16” that shoots 150’s pretty well.
Short rifles are neat, but I don’t mind ducking under a few more branches to get 50-100 more free fps. I hunt with 26 inches of barrel and suppressor through alders with no problem.
Sweet scout Skane!
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Christensen 16" .308 Win? - 08/24/23

6.5 CM 16" CF Barrel Wyatt bottom metal 10 rnd mag, Burris F.F. Handy Jeep Gun that does what I need it to do fairly quietly. Rio7
Posted By: LSU fan Re: Christensen 16" .308 Win? - 08/24/23
Originally Posted by taylorce1
16” for certain.

7lbs 11ish oz
I bagged the 5-shot mag for a 3-shot flush mag.

The FFT is a little lighter but doesn't come with M5 bottom metal.

No plans on spinning knobs with this one - point-blank-thing-hitter. With the 110 Hammers and suppressed, it's like shooting a cork gun. blush

Sweet rig Skane. What scope is that?
Posted By: SKane Re: Christensen 16" .308 Win? - 08/24/23
Originally Posted by LSU fan

Thank ya, sir. Scope is a Razor HD LH 1.5-8x32.
Posted By: LSU fan Re: Christensen 16" .308 Win? - 08/24/23
Originally Posted by LSU fan

Thank ya, sir. Scope is a Razor HD LH 1.5-8x32.

👍🏼
Posted By: 65BR Re: Christensen 16" .308 Win? - 08/24/23
Nice rigs above.

Nothing against a can, but a 6BR with 28.5 grains of powder, will dump deer all day at 400 yds, can be in a handy config with modest blast and recoil. I'd reckon a trajectory and drift as good if not better than a 308.

I recall an UN-Canned Mohawk 308, 18.5", being VERY Loud, so no doubt short tubes can be very loud in many cartridges.

A 6.5x47 in a carbine barrel, if one went unsuppressed is a very efficient round - think 120-130s for most distances.....as they will handily do a bang up job at most common distances.

Nothing wrong running a 308, canned if that's one's route. Good hunting folks.
Posted By: JLimbo Re: Christensen 16" .308 Win? - 08/24/23
I got this MPR for hunting out of blinds and love the folding stock for riding in the guides truck with four other big guys. Did shoot it once with the Christensen brake at the range under the roof and it was stupid loud.

It groups nicely with 155 Scennars @2714 fps as well as the Norma factory 150's but they only run 2550 fps out of my gun.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: JPro Re: Christensen 16" .308 Win? - 08/24/23
I like the looks of those too. Gemtech Tracker?
Posted By: SKane Re: Christensen 16" .308 Win? - 08/24/23
Originally Posted by JLimbo
I got this MPR for hunting out of blinds and love the folding stock for riding in the guides truck with four other big guys. Did shoot it once with the Christensen brake at the range under the roof and it was stupid loud.

It groups nicely with 155 Scennars @2714 fps as well as the Norma factory 150's but they only run 2550 fps out of my gun.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

That's a cool setup.
Originally Posted by EdM
\

Huh???
Originally Posted by geedubya
I have the Christensen Ridgeline, carbon fiber wrapped barrel in 300 PRC. Not impressed with the accuracy.

At the time, it was hard to find a bolt gun in 308 Win with a 16' barrel. I chose the Sig Cross. It is a tack driver with the Norma 150 Gr. Soft points.

With the M-lok system it is super easy to add adapters for hanging arca-swiss plates, lights and batteries, unlike a traditional stock.

It has become my go to, thermal suppressed. With a 7" suppressor, barrel length is 23"

ya!

GWB

I have a Sig Cross in Creedmoor. With a Thunderbeast, it's a nice set up.
Posted By: JLimbo Re: Christensen 16" .308 Win? - 08/25/23
Originally Posted by JPro
I like the looks of those too. Gemtech Tracker?

I've been running a Griffen SD-30 on it but I also have the Gemtech Tracker. It would most likely be about 3/4s of a pound lighter than the Griffen with its mount. Should try it as I don't need full auto rated on a bolt gun.
© 24hourcampfire