Home
Posted By: EdM Tempted By The Creedmoor - 10/05/23
I have absolutely zero need but my LGS just sent me an email with a M700 SPS for $450...
Posted By: TomM1 Re: Tempted By The Creedmoor - 10/05/23
CDNN has stainless featherweights on sale as well. Ive resisted this long, have enough bolt guns, but they look pretty sweet!
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Tempted By The Creedmoor - 10/05/23
If you like to shoot, and don't want your teeth rattled, they are nice for that. Here's mine, a joy to shoot and accurate.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Being a relatively new cartridge, only being around for about 15 years now. I can understand why not everyone has one.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Tempted By The Creedmoor - 10/05/23
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Being a relatively new cartridge, only being around for about 15 years now. I can understand why not everyone has one.

Many of us have similar favourites already, myself included. If not for them, I'd buy one.
Posted By: goalie Re: Tempted By The Creedmoor - 10/05/23
The availability of really accurate factor ammo makes it a no brainer for me.
Posted By: lastround Re: Tempted By The Creedmoor - 10/05/23
I like my T3x lite. Shoots great.
Posted By: Swamplord Re: Tempted By The Creedmoor - 10/05/23
An eskimo friend dumped this 74" bull with a 6.5 Creedmoor

I saw the video of the shots, 1st shot dropped the bull but he got back up, 2nd shot stoned him again and it didn't get back up, 50 yards or so

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: hanco Re: Tempted By The Creedmoor - 10/05/23
I have two, load for 4, all accurate rifles. I load 120 Barnes for all of them. Two Savages, a vanguard, and a 700. They are damn fun to shoot, perfect for whitetail, Aoudads, and pigs where I hunt.
Posted By: hanco Re: Tempted By The Creedmoor - 10/05/23
Take this exit to get you one

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
If the 6.5x47 lapua took off commercially (ie accurate factory ammunition from more than one source) I would own one. Instead the 6.5x48 (ie 6.5 creedmoor) did. It's the easy button.

Of course 6mm creed is better....
Posted By: jc189 Re: Tempted By The Creedmoor - 10/05/23
Originally Posted by goalie
The availability of really accurate factor ammo makes it a no brainer for me.
\

Me too. Easy button.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Tempted By The Creedmoor - 10/05/23
Originally Posted by hanco

Exit 223... Is that for the .22 Creedmoor ?
Posted By: Cascade Re: Tempted By The Creedmoor - 10/05/23
My easy-kicking deer rifles have been the 6mm Rem, 25-06, the 30-30, and the 308 Winchester. All are just peachy especially the 25-06 Rem 700.

Yet I think I'm going to be hunting mule deer with a 6.5 Creedmoor in a couple of weeks. This one is a Bergara. My first handloads for it are looking good. It is real easy to shoot.

Regards, Guy
Posted By: Cascade Re: Tempted By The Creedmoor - 10/05/23
Originally Posted by Swamplord
An eskimo friend dumped this 74" bull with a 6.5 Creedmoor

I saw the video of the shots, 1st shot dropped the bull but he got back up, 2nd shot stoned him again and it didn't get back up, 50 yards or so

That's just outstanding!

Guy
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Tempted By The Creedmoor - 10/05/23
Love mine. Shot it at 1000 yards this morning. Browning Hells Canyon with McMillan stock. Nightforce NXS 139 gr Scenars over 41.5 grs of H4350

Lots of fun.
Posted By: Coyote10 Re: Tempted By The Creedmoor - 10/05/23
I've tried to not buy the flatbill, but that dang cartridge kicks some azz. Ammo is everywhere, rifles are twisted right, it'll shoot 4350 and 140s. There's really nothing to hate about it. I'd take one in an sps stainless I guess, toss it in a mcmillian edge and probably love it.
Posted By: Teeder Re: Tempted By The Creedmoor - 10/05/23
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Many of us have similar favourites already, myself included. If not for them, I'd buy one.

That's where I'm at. I'm up to my eyeballs in 7mm-08 stuff. I'm not starting over with a creed.
Nothing against it, though. Love the case design.
Posted By: jc189 Re: Tempted By The Creedmoor - 10/05/23
Originally Posted by Orion2000

Looks like you can get a 45 there as well. just in case you need a handgun too.
Posted By: goalie Re: Tempted By The Creedmoor - 10/05/23
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Of course 6mm creed is better....

That's the truth.
Was out to Scheels early afternoon they had piles of 6.5 Creed ammo 140 gr pspcl Remington stuff 21.99/box these days that is cheap.
Mb
Originally Posted by Teeder

That's where I'm at. I'm up to my eyeballs in 7mm-08 stuff. I'm not starting over with a creed.

Funny you mention the 7mm-08. I have a Tikka 7mm-08 and a superlite 6.5 creedmoor. I prefer my 7mm-08 when hunting bigger stuff like elk. However, we know the 6.5 will take down big critters. I think if guys have the 7mm-08, they don't really need a 6.5 creedmoor. Unless of course you like shooting a lot and you are looking for something that is generally very accurate. The Creedmoor edges out the 7mm-08 in accuracy, from my experience, kicks slightly less and factory ammo is easy/easier to find. I shoot my 7mm08 a little, where I shoot multiple 6.5's a lot. But when I reach for a great hunting rifle, it's the 7mm I reach for.
Posted By: EdM Re: Tempted By The Creedmoor - 10/06/23
I'll check it out tomorrow. The only 6.5 I have is a recently acquired 6.5x55. On the 7 front it's a 7x57 and a 280 AI. It's all fun.
Originally Posted by EdM
I'll check it out tomorrow. The only 6.5 I have is a recently acquired 6.5x55. On the 7 front it's a 7x57 and a 280 AI. It's all fun.

They are all good man. A Creedmoor will keep your 6.5x55 company.
No desire to own any new(to me) round.
From the Hornet to the 338 it's covered, except 25 and 27.
Having a Swede, 264, and 7mag, those holes are covered.

However?

For a too good price, especially a dies and brass included deal.
Posted By: Trystan Re: Tempted By The Creedmoor - 10/06/23
I like cartridges that don't rattle my teeth! The 6.5 creedmoor is perfect in this regard and kills as well as anything else I've used
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Tempted By The Creedmoor - 10/06/23

Same here but I have a 7x57 instead of a 7-08. I did succumb and have a 6CM done up, mostly because of the case design.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Tempted By The Creedmoor - 10/06/23
I'm tempted by the exact same gun and cartridge at my LGS. Only thing that has stopped me is I started selling stuff off. I don't need all these guns
Originally Posted by TomM1
CDNN has stainless featherweights on sale as well. Ive resisted this long, have enough bolt guns, but they look pretty sweet!

Generally, if CDNN has something in stock, someone else will have it for less money. These folks do, and they don't charge tax either. They are legit. https://www.familyfirearms.com/prod...stings&utm_campaign=wikiarmslistings
Seriously thought of getting an 6.5 but already have an 7-08 and a 243 I've yet to even try out. Right now I'm set up on the 270win and it's my small bore cartridge I use at the present. I appreciate the turnkey nature of the 6.5creed and its got the economy and logistics required but I'm not actually in need of something and I'd prefer an left hand offering and those aren't common.
Posted By: Brad Re: Tempted By The Creedmoor - 10/06/23
The 308 Win remains my favorite cartridge, but I do have two 6.5 CM's and if I do elk hunt this year, that's what I'll be taking. A really pleasant cartridge to shoot, and a snap to load for. I can't really see how it wouldn't perform well on anything in NA with the right bullet.
Posted By: hanco Re: Tempted By The Creedmoor - 10/06/23
Two Savages

Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Tempted By The Creedmoor - 10/06/23
Well designed case, great bullet choices, very efficient (powder/recoil/performance), excellent/numerous factory ammo and rifle choices. Remove any prejudice and there's no reason not to be tempted by it.
Posted By: devnull Re: Tempted By The Creedmoor - 10/06/23
What's not to like about it? That's the question.
Posted By: Ken_L Re: Tempted By The Creedmoor - 10/06/23
There are a lot of rifles on the market right now for the 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 PRC and 7 PRC that can be had for a lot less money than other calibers.
Posted By: tdoyka Re: Tempted By The Creedmoor - 10/06/23
back in 2008 i bought my TC Encore barrel, it was a 15" MGM barrel (pistol) in 6.5 CM. i killed several deer and then i bought a 16 1/4" MGM barrel (carbine) in 6.5 CM and i killed several deer. then i bought a 23" MGM barrel in 6.5 CM and i killed several deer.

i handload and i haven't bought factory ammo for about 30 years. when it first came out, Hornady had dies but no 6.5 CM brass. so i did a 22-250 brass and necked it up to 6.5/22-250. the OAL of the brass was short, about .02" short, but not enuff to worry about. it wasn't until about 2012 or so that Hornady made brass, so i grabbed 500 of them. then i think 2 years later, Lapua came out with the 6.5 CM brass. i was getting with 6.5 CM, so in 2015 or '16, i sold them.

i'd use 120gr BT and SST or 140gr BT and SST with Superformance, IMR4350 and a couple of others. i shot them and the biggest group was about 1 - 1 1/4" at 100 yards (5 shots/bench), while the smallest group was 3/8" at 100 yards (5 shots/bench). i think that they were going around 2750 - 2800fps+/- for the 120gr and 2650 fps+/- for for the 140gr.

i don't have any problem with the 6.5 CM. it kills deer and it kills paper. so why cry about the 6.5 CM?

i'll be taking my youngest son's rifle, '16 Spanish Mauser in 6.5x55 with 120gr BT and i believe IMR 4350 for early doe season.
Posted By: JLimbo Re: Tempted By The Creedmoor - 10/06/23
They seem to work well. Light recoil and great factory ammo. A 143 ELDX did a number on Bob the scimitar oryx.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
RIP Bob. Guess he was Creedmoored? Or maybe Creedmoorable?
Posted By: JLimbo Re: Tempted By The Creedmoor - 10/06/23
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
RIP Bob. Guess he was Creedmoored? Or maybe Creedmoorable?

Yep he was Creedmoored. It was a 110 yard shot and popped him in the shoulder at the top of the blood drip. Kinda ruined that shoulder roast.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

We found the bullet under the hide on the other side.

[img]https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ww235/JohnnyLimbo/E0986442-DC31-420B-BAA3-FB4FB37135FB.heic[/img]
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Tempted By The Creedmoor - 10/06/23
Originally Posted by Orion2000

Yes, they pass them out on the street corner.
For those who are 6.5 Creedmoor users have you found that it X's out the need or logic for having things like 257 roberts, 7x57, and perhaps the 243 with its 100gr bullets? It's said f9lks like the 257 for its mild recoil but wouldn't the 6.5 have that equally as well?
Posted By: hanco Re: Tempted By The Creedmoor - 10/06/23
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
For those who are 6.5 Creedmoor users have you found that it X's out the need or logic for having things like 257 roberts, 7x57, and perhaps the 243 with its 100gr bullets? It's said f9lks like the 257 for its mild recoil but wouldn't the 6.5 have that equally as well?

Why not have all of them? You can’t have too many rifles
Posted By: EdM Re: Tempted By The Creedmoor - 10/06/23
Well I dropped by the shop today. It turned out to be an ADL (that I have zero issues with as my other three M700's are ADL's) so they dropped the price some and it now resides on the ottoman next to me. I'm looking forward to shooting it. Is there any way to tell when it was made? SN: RR6640XX. Thanks for the replies.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Tempted By The Creedmoor - 10/07/23
Originally Posted by EdM
Well I dropped by the shop today. It turned out to be an ADL (that I have zero issues with as my other three M700's are ADL's) so they dropped the price some and it now resides on the ottoman next to me. I'm looking forward to shooting it. Is there any way to tell when it was made? SN: RR6640XX. Thanks for the replies.

The barrel code will tell you when it was made, but the RR prefix on the serial number indicates a Remington made rifle, not a newer RemArms.
Posted By: EdM Re: Tempted By The Creedmoor - 10/07/23
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by EdM

The barrel code will tell you when it was made, but the RR prefix on the serial number indicates a Remington made rifle, not a newer RemArms.

I just found a site with SN's vs. dates and it shows the first R as November and the second R as either 1997 (the Creedmoor did not exist) or 2023 which is next month???
The trigger is a pretty crisp 4# with little creep or overtravel. I'll see what I can do with it looking for 2 1/2# or so. I will leave this one well alone at first and maybe bed it depending on initial results with a few tries of factory ammo.
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by EdM

I just found a site with SN's vs. dates and it shows the first R as November and the second R as either 1997 (the Creedmoor did not exist) or 2023 which is next month???
Tard
Posted By: pete53 Re: Tempted By The Creedmoor - 10/07/23

nope i may own a couple of 6.5 Creedmoors and yes its a good cartridge for most hunters who want to use the Creedmoor cartridge . i still would rather use my old wood stock 257 Roberts or my 257 Weatherby mag. both in Ruger #1`s .
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by EdM

The two letters that are stamped on the barrel, usually the left side next to the receiver are what you're looking for.
Thanks. EL = October 2017 from my search.
Originally Posted by EdM
Thanks. EL = October 2017 from my search.

Yep, that manufacture date is right for an RR prefix serial number. I had a couple of them with the RR number, and they both shot very good.
Originally Posted by pete53

nope i may own a couple of 6.5 Creedmoors and yes its a good cartridge for most hunters who want to use the Creedmoor cartridge . i still would rather use my old wood stock 257 Roberts or my 257 Weatherby mag. both in Ruger #1`s .
It amazes me why folks like the 257 roberts so much while the 6.5 uses similiar weight bullets on the lower end and has similiar recoil. 257 isnt exactly widely popular. Guess I'm thinking with logistics in mind.
Posted By: 84Mtn_EER Re: Tempted By The Creedmoor - 10/08/23
I bought a Mossberg Patriot Predator in 2018 in 6.5 creedmoor because I wanted a new cheap rifle and I figured why not try the 6.5 creedmoor. I was really impressed with the accuracy I was getting from a $339 rifle. I used that rifle to help my son kill a few does with and eventually his first buck. I gave the rifle to him after his first buck.

Since I already had dies, brass, and bullets I decided to buy a Bergara B-14 Ridge in 6.5 creedmoor. That rifle would shoot but holes all day with almost everything I threw in it. My only drawback was the rifle was heavy. So I sold it and thought I wanted a 257 Roberts.

I decided after lots of thinking about velocities and bullet weights that for me and my needs I would have a better variety of bullet weights, and bullet choices with another 6.5 creedmoor and again I already had all the components needed. So.... I bought ANOTHER 6.5 creedmoor this time in a Bergara Premiere Mountain 2.0 reaping the benefits of the carbon fiber stock. It too is a wonderful shooter and I plan on toting it this fall hoping to let the air out of a deer with the 140gr Speer impact.
Posted By: CRS Re: Tempted By The Creedmoor - 10/08/23

I had a couple of them. Meh, no big deal.

I am up to my eyeballs with 270's and reloading components. I can, and have loaded down my 270's for pleasant recoil.

I am finally down down to seven cartridges in 5 bore sizes that I load for. It is nice to finally shed some looneyism. Trying no to go the wrong direction again.

With all that being said, I think the 6.5 Creed is a great cartridge and have suggested it to more than one person looking to get a big game rifle just starting out.
Posted By: Futura Re: Tempted By The Creedmoor - 10/08/23
Shot one for the first time today. My Tikka T3X I picked up a while back. Pleasant cartridge to shoot. Was really windy today but it shot really good groups regardless.
Posted By: sakoron Re: Tempted By The Creedmoor - 10/08/23
I bought a CM rifle couple years ago from a chain farm store down here called "Atwoods"made by TC for not much $'s to see what the the CM noise was all about, but found the factory CM ammo @ Walmart to be the cheapest source.

With the Better Half's antique business to chase all over DFW and surrounding Counties there is not much time to reload anything.....but I was satisfied with the TC's performance at the range and given ya'lls comments about the performance on Game critters I'll use what little down time to what shoots best at least on paper.

I've still got lot's & lots ..... mebbe a K or 2 of left over of 6.5 bullets from the Tika Swede I sold recently - as it was tooo pretty to drag thru the Deep Woods of East Texas and several years of other previous 6.5's.

So my ? is ....what bullet weights & design's seem to work best making meat on hogs and WT's?.
Ron
Posted By: Deere_Man Re: Tempted By The Creedmoor - 10/08/23
140gr Fusions
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Tempted By The Creedmoor - 10/08/23

I think that a person actually can have too many rifles, but that doesn't make any of them less fun to own and shoot.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Tempted By The Creedmoor - 10/08/23
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

I think that a person actually can have too many rifles, but that doesn't make any of them less fun to own and shoot.

I try to hunt with too many, and have some very good rifles that have become safe queens. I have thought many times about cutting way back on what I have, but can't bring myself to do so.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Tempted By The Creedmoor - 10/08/23
Originally Posted by sakoron
I bought a CM rifle couple years ago from a chain farm store down here called "Atwoods"made by TC for not much $'s to see what the the CM noise was all about, but found the factory CM ammo @ Walmart to be the cheapest source.

With the Better Half's antique business to chase all over DFW and surrounding Counties there is not much time to reload anything.....but I was satisfied with the TC's performance at the range and given ya'lls comments about the performance on Game critters I'll use what little down time to what shoots best at least on paper.

I've still got lot's & lots ..... mebbe a K or 2 of left over of 6.5 bullets from the Tika Swede I sold recently - as it was tooo pretty to drag thru the Deep Woods of East Texas and several years of other previous 6.5's.

So my ? is ....what bullet weights & design's seem to work best making meat on hogs and WT's?.
Ron

When it comes to factory ammo, I like the 125 grain Winchester Deer Season XP for shooting deer behind the shoulder. All of the 129 and 140 grain factory loads that I've tried have also worked well. If you live near a Cabela's, their Herter's brand 129 grain 6.5 Creedmoor load is made by Winchester and is the same as the Winchester brand 129 grain Power Points. I've never shot a hog with a 6.5 Creedmoor, so can't opine on that front.
© 24hourcampfire