Home
Posted By: Beaver10 I decided on my truck gun… - 11/03/23
It took me long enough to decide between 3 rifles which one would be my riding companion in the UTV.

I held tryouts for each rifle, each one in the beginning I thought would be the perfect shooting partner only to find something that made me say, next.

Here’s the three rifles and the ‘why’ on two of them I decided against using.

Number 1

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I had this Tikka CTR rechambered/barreled from a 6.5 Creedmoor into a 6.5x47 Lapua. Shaen did the work for me. Like any shooting iron Shaen puts his mitts on, it became an incredibly accurate and slick feeding tool.

I was stoked at having a 6.5x47L chambering - thinking it would be perfect for my shooting needs on the property for mainly drilling coyotes, deer, and other small, furry, nuisances.

For me, the 6.5x47L is still my #1 choice for what my needs are. Unfortunately, even after taking all the shims out of the Tikka stock. It still doesn’t fit me. I’ve had this same problem with other Tikka CTR’s that I’ve owned being too long of a pull for me. I should have slammed it into different furniture and been done. I still might do this in the future.

Number 2

This 7WSM got itself a new Bartlein tube, again, courtesy of Mr. Shaen. Now, with a new barrel, it’s a precision shooting rifle. This rifle started out as an old, semi custom build from Gunwerks, back in the early years before Gunwerks became a boutique shop making ‘Shooting Systems’ for 12k or more.

While it’s a superb hunting rifle, with a no nonsense Howa action, fluted bolt and sitting in a Bansner stock making it light. I didn’t want a 7WSM for what I’d be using it for (over-kill) I am, however, going to take it elk hunting this year and let her eat into some Wapiti’s hide.

Number 3 and the winner for being my daily ride along buddy.

I had this rifle sitting in the back of my safe. It’s a GA Precision build that I traded into several years ago. It would see daylight every couple of years to remind me that the range performance from this 6.5 Creedmoor was excellent.

Nothing really special about this rifle. It’s got an older Mack Bros. receiver, not the Ti action. Proof CF barrel, Thunder Beast brake, H-S Precision detachable magazine that slipped into the bottom BDL cut.

The H-S magazine assembly isn’t great for extending bullets way out, but using boxed, Horn 143gr Eld-x ammo, it works great. Trigger is a TT Primary. All of it stuffed into a slightly heavy, but solid Grayboe Terrain stock.

The scope was another trade I made several years ago. Sig Sauer Whiskey5 3-15x44 with lights. The limited dialing I’ve done with this scope has been good. Time may tell how it holds up after daily rough riding.

No frills, on this one. It’s already got a few ‘sorry’s’ on it from the past couple of weeks riding bitch. More Oopsies will happen.
Oh, well,,,It’s a truck gun.

🦫
Dam , I hate to see a firearm riding muzzle down , espeacially if it’s going to be bounced about
Set the MFer in a somewhat secure spot , muzzle up
Kenneth
Posted By: jc189 Re: I decided on my truck gun… - 11/03/23
Good choice. That's one helluva truck gun.
Truck Gun? These seem way to fancy. How bout a battered level or bolt action that someone had once bubba'd, then had the wrinkles ironed out of....but not the rust flecks?
Brother Beav, I applaud your endeavor for the perfect truck gun. It's a very important and over looked category.

Your truck guns are pretty fancy by truck gun standards but I like them all.

Being a gun whore that should come as no surprise.... smile

I too am perusing the perfect truck/atv gun... I have two so far, the #1 is a very modest Stevens 200 aka Salvage in 7/08 with a dependable Weaver 3-9

My newest creation is another Salvage 10 action in a chassis with a 16.5" 6.5 Creed barrel, 10 round AiCS magazine, Sig 3.5-10X42 BDX scope, folding stock!

I am thinking the 6.5 Cred with the bdx scope will be great fun ranging things with the Sig bino's and then blasting it...

Busy hunting, otherwise I would throw out some pic's.... maybe I can find time? fun thread
Another truck gun I have been slummin , is a whole different category... a Rossi 44 mag stainless trapper 16" barrel, more of a non hunting season truck gun....
Hell, then we have truck pistols... more fun.. wink the sickness never ends... smile
Originally Posted by Kenneth66
Dam , I hate to see a firearm riding muzzle down , espeacially if it’s going to be bounced about
Kenneth

Negative!

You prefer a bullet to the face vs. a hole in the floorboard? Muzzle always down in a rig, unless a passenger has their hands on the rifle to control it. And, I still prefer the muzzle down, even then.

PSA. My right hand is always on the rifle when rolling.

🦫
Originally Posted by irfubar
Brother Beav, I applaud your endeavor for the perfect truck gun. It's a very important and over looked category.

Your truck guns are pretty fancy by truck gun standards but I like them all.

Being a gun whore that should come as no surprise.... smile

I too am perusing the perfect truck/atv gun... I have two so far, the #1 is a very modest Stevens 200 aka Salvage in 7/08 with a dependable Weaver 3-9

My newest creation is another Salvage 10 action in a chassis with a 16.5" 6.5 Creed barrel, 10 round AiCS magazine, Sig 3.5-10X42 BDX scope, folding stock!

I am thinking the 6.5 Cred with the bdx scope will be great fun ranging things with the Sig bino's and then blasting it...

Busy hunting, otherwise I would throw out some pic's.... maybe I can find time? fun thread

Bro, good luck with your hunt.

We’ll chat more about the perfect truck gun when you’re back and drinking good booze.

🦫
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by Kenneth66
Kenneth

Negative!

You prefer a bullet to the face vs. a hole in the floorboard? Muzzle always down in a rig, unless a passenger has their hands on the rifle to control it. And, I still prefer the muzzle down, even then.

PSA. My right hand is always on the rifle when rolling.

🦫

yup, muzzle down everytime, when you reach to grab the rifle, it's always pointing away from ya ugly, can fix a hole in the truck but not the one in the melon

that's what the muzzle brake is for....... to ride the floor & protect the crown (& spot your hits, lol)
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
Truck Gun? These seem way to fancy. How bout a battered level or bolt action that someone had once bubba'd, then had the wrinkles ironed out of....but not the rust flecks?

Aah yes, a true truck gun that lives under the seats. Along with a set of tire chains, quart of Delo 100 motor oil and 3 used condoms.

Lol

🦫
#1 .. at least for my hunting around here.....
I've not Hushed a Loudener,since earlier today. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Taped muzzles on the floor,ONLY. Hint..............
I’d not be guessing to say, most dudes don’t sway towards turning up the volume on their rifles with a brake. I’m more than a smidge deef from lack of using hearing protection in the old days, so they don’t bother me.

Agreements on muzzles down should be almost universal. Unless you’re rolling with a butt down gun rest.

Otherwise your pan is lacking a brain.

🦫
Not wearing hearing protection,DISTINCTLY saved my Life three times in the Woods. I oft wonder,how many guys were killed FOR wearing same?!? Hint.

Happiness is chopping the LOUD,out of a Loudener. Hint............(grin)
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Not wearing hearing protection,DISTINCTLY saved my Life three times in the Woods. I oft wonder,how many guys were killed FOR wearing same?!? Hint.

You could spend a few week scouring the roadside for pop cans to buy your first Quietner.

It's what all the big boys stick on the muzzle of their truck gun.

My truck/Jeep rifle is a Ruger American ranch rifle in 7.62x39mm, uses mini 30 magazines, has a Leupold 2x7 scope ,has a large bolt knob, a mini 30 flash hider and is practical, accurate and shoots every type of ammo even steel cased Russian .

my small cartridge rifles don't have brakes either, my truck gun is a Rem 700 LSS in 300 RUM, it has saved my hide on a griz charge and saved my moose hunt this fall because it was in the back seat of my truck when I needed it most, a 300 RUM has never needed a muzzle brake and anything below it certainly has zero need for it

but when you're shooting 338 cal 285 gr bullets with 105 gr of RL 33 or a 360 gr 375 cal bullet with 175 gr of 50 BMG, a nice brake helps prevent migraines & nosebleeds, aaaand ya can spot hits, lol !

Imagine mounting a gunboot on your 4 Wheeler upside down because some dork wanted to haul his rifle muzzle up, lmao !
Originally Posted by Swamplord
Imagine mounting a gunboot on your 4 Wheeler upside down because some dork wanted to haul his rifle muzzle up, lmao !

I think we know a guy.

Lol

🦫
There was a time,when I Lived/Breathed Boomers,but Technology has more than changed that. I literally shot my 378 Wby to pieces and to Weatherby's credit,they TOTALLY rebuilt it gratis. New bolt,stock,trigger and barrel. Upon receiving same,I tripped it and never looked back. Hint.

I built a rather Skookum 338 Ultra,that was a DEDICATED companion,for many moons. Bullets changed and it couldn't keep up,so I let a pard fhuqk me out of it. My Sako TRG-S 30-378 Wby was a steaming pile of fhuqking schit. 300 Supers,Weatherby's,7 STW's,yada,yada,yada,BT/DT and have ALL the T-shirts. For Brown Angry things,I just as soon have a Krunchenticker in my mitts now,as I did going back nearly 40yrs ago. I've yet to see one,not lead with it's head. Hint.

Handy/Dandy has never had an equal and simply never will. At 20",my Krunchenticker preference is 224 Grendel and 88's. If going 18" or less,I'll Wylde and Hornie 75 HPBT. Mufflers ain't for me,especially on Handy/Dandy. Hint.

The 6 ARC's with 112's in a Howie Mini,have got alotta airtime,given how "new" it is(in OEM guise). It capably covers alotta ground(literally),is fhuqking sinister in the wind and do VERY nice things at 19". Same goes my 22PPC AFI's with 90 Beer Cans at 19". Hint.

20" CTR's in 8" 223,do nice thangs and it's ALL about the magazine there. Too bad they aren't 7" RPM,for 88/90gr Mayhem. Riding Bitch right now in my crummy(Gun Saddle),is a Green Gremlin Mini Howie in 264 Grendel,with 120 MB Smooches,ala JO V2 BDL bottom. Wayne's World handle and Illuminatti on top. The balance/handling/ergo's are SUPERB at 19" and said 120 digs like a Dirty Bastard. Hint.

Laying in passenger's seat is the newly acquired 22WMR BCA/Illuminatti Krunchenticker. Also a Marlin 1894 45LC/Illuminatti. Currently in backseat,are newest Montucky 243Win/5-20x HD MQ FFP Mil/Mil,LitBitch,brand new(yesterday) CA Mesa 7-08/3-9x HD MQ Mil/Mil and rattlin' floorboards is a Sako 6PPC Repeater/Sightron 6-24x FFP Mil/Mil. I'll peel layers,to make room for BabyMan. Hint................
You must have a $200k truck.
My little 20” CTR 223 rides in the truck or SxS or tractor the most.

It’s ashame you don’t like the 6.5x47 Beav, if you need an address to send it somewhere it’ll be loved, lemme know whistle
Originally Posted by beretzs

It’s ashame you don’t like the 6.5x47 Beav, if you need an address to send it somewhere it’ll be loved, lemme know whistle

No, no, Scotty. It’s loved.

She just needs a different outfit that is bettered designed, so I can hold her in the roughest of ways. 😉

🦫

PS

Congrats on getting your bull this year. First season bull for me starts Nov.18th.
I only have (3) 8" 223 CTR's and my landslide favorite,is the Sporter that I simply dumped in said handle,to eek the magazine. Hint.

Prefer it to my 4th 8" 223 Teeker,which I went AICS DBM with. Hint.................
Stick,

I’ve made some poor choices in the past on setting up a rifle. I need to settle down, and think through what I want from the firearm and how I intend to use it, before I just jump. These ‘speed’ decision, I make, just cost me money correcting things.

All I got right on the ‘CTR’ was my choice of chambering. I should have had Shaen cut the spout back another 4” inches.

The furniture, well, that wasn’t a mistake. It was more of a hope that in the last 3 years I had grown longer arms making the stock fit me better. Grins.

Shaen, will be getting the CTR back for a haircut and a different stock. Do you have a recommendation for a stock, other than Grayboe? I’m thunking hard about the Mesa.

Howa’s 6 ARC would have been a no-brainer, if I wasn’t already sitting on a pile of Lapua 123gr Scenar’s in 6.5x47L

🦫

Now, I understand. You dropped your CTR into a Sporter stock. That could work.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: I decided on my truck gun… - 11/05/23
I really like the sporter ctr stock swap. I prefer the ctr stock to the sporter but could live with the sporter stock. The ctr magazines seals the deal in 223 especially. Odd they understand something by giving 8 twist barrels and room in the ctr magazine but then go full retard with the standard magazines.
I fitted CTR bottom metal on my 6.5 Creedmoor in a sporter stock and love it.

My 308 stainless sporter in a UPR stock is a joy to handle, and it uses CTR mags, as well.

And, I have a 308 CTR.

I love the CTR mags.

Glad that rifle is working well. I’ve it’s twin in 6.5 that’s been handy this rut. The loudener solution is genius.
The hell with that. I'm not going to use any of my CTR's for a "truck gun". That is Ruger RAR ranch .223 rem territory right there!!! You guys have some weird ideas on proper "truck guns"..
Savage 12FV in 22-250 for years.

Remington 700 in 6mm Remington for the centerfire now.

Once I can get my old ADL 222 sighted in it will be the main CF in the truck.

Always a Ruger American in 17HMR in the truck now.
Stick,

I’ve made some poor choices in the past on setting up a rifle. I need to settle down, and think through what I want from the firearm and how I intend to use it, before I just jump. These ‘speed’ decision, I make, just cost me money correcting things.

All I got right on the ‘CTR’ was my choice of chambering. I should have had Shaen cut the spout back another 4” inches.

The furniture, well, that wasn’t a mistake. It was more of a hope that in the last 3 years I had grown longer arms making the stock fit me better. Grins.

Shaen, will be getting the CTR back for a haircut and a different stock. Do you have a recommendation for a stock, other than Grayboe? I’m thunking hard about the Mesa.

Howa’s 6 ARC would have been a no-brainer, if I wasn’t already sitting on a pile of Lapua 123gr Scenar’s in 6.5x47L

🦫

Now, I understand. You dropped your CTR into a Sporter stock. That could work.

Strike that and reverse it,ala Willie Wonka. Hint.

T3X Sporter dumped into a CTR handle,so as to drive CTR mags in 8" 223. It yields a CTR Lite. Hint..............
Beaver man (or more appropriately, non-beaver getting man).....do any of those choices offer gratuitous road head? That's what I am interested in....

My 'truck gun' is a beat to hell Springfield 1898 in .30-40 Krag, that sometimes also gets to ride along on the bike. No road head option.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I feed it whatever oddball .308 bullets I have laying around as well as whatever bits of powder I have leftover. This particular Krag is surprisingly accurate with whatever leftover components I feed it. 150 grain-220 grain bullets and all sorts of powders/charges.
In these parts,Front Seat Praise,is THE Greatest Of Accolades. Conversation(s) go like this,"Whatcha' got in the front?!?". Hint.

Nobody rolls their WORST schit,in the front. Oft times,Front Bitches are welllll weathered long term wares,that are literally SEASONED Veterans. Other times,they are a Trial By Fire(literally),for New Wares. Depending upon time of year,I simply shuffle that Greatest Honor. Hint.

NEVER is it a L/A. Hint.

Handy/Dandy RULES The Roost and it might could be a Krunchenticker,Lever or Turnbolt. Hint.

MUCH depends on my selection,given who is riding Shotgun. If it's someone with abilities I KNOW,I'll happily throw a Play Toy up front. If/when someone new,I'm rolling RUTHLESSLY and will simply connect all dots myself. I've a soft spot for Howie Mini's and a Wayne's World handled 264 Grendel,in particular. It wears a JO V2 BDL bottom(like all my others) and I rather like the Wayne's World stock ergo's and relative griptitude. I feed it 120 MB Smooches and they dig DEEP and are utterly reliable,at any/all ranges of engagement. The Illuminatti is like my dozens of others,in that it do what it should,less fanfare. It's pinned to 4x,so the erector jives the reticle and ocular DOPE is a breeze to input. Hint.

The 19" CHOP,muchly sweetens the parcel. Hint................

No, no, Scotty. It’s loved.

She just needs a different outfit that is bettered designed, so I can hold her in the roughest of ways. 😉

🦫

PS

Congrats on getting your bull this year. First season bull for me starts Nov.18th.

Thanks Beav. It was a good time in Wyoming this year. Looking forward to hearing how you Oregon guys do in a few weeks.
Every truck gun I’ve had other than my old surplus WWII 1911 was a beater externally but always oiled and reliable. My favorite until some a-hole in Pocatello at the old Alvords truck stop took it was an old Savage 24 30-30 x 20 ga. Never failed me and covered all the bases from ditch pheasant to coyotes. Before it sprouted legs I had an old 4X Redfield on it. In my mind it was the perfect gun for those times when I’d drive up on something that needed shooting

Rick
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Beaver man (or more appropriately, non-beaver getting man).....do any of those choices offer gratuitous road head? That's what I am interested in....

You get your herpes under control?

😂🦫

😂🦫

Yes.
Thank you for asking.

Lat'r.....I am headed up on the hill behind mom's house for mulies, because elk are absolutely kicking my ass.
Short and nimble would seem to be the obvious first step to what rides. I went Superman and flew over that initial requirement, then crashed.

I just finished yapping at Shaen. The CTR is slotted for a shortening.

My feelings on whether a gun is a box purchase, custom build, or something that was repurposed from another era as a rider doesn’t matter...

At some point, at least for me, you realize you buy these things to be used. So use them and enjoy what they were intended for. To shoot at shít.

🦫

😂🦫

Yes.
Thank you for asking.

Lat'r.....I am headed up on the hill behind mom's house for mulies, because elk are absolutely kicking my ass.

Sweet!

Good Luck, Tiny.

My phone is on and waiting for a picture.

🦫
Originally Posted by Woodpecker
Every truck gun I’ve had other than my old surplus WWII 1911 was a beater externally but always oiled and reliable. My favorite until some a-hole in Pocatello at the old Alvords truck stop took it was an old Savage 24 30-30 x 20 ga. Never failed me and covered all the bases from ditch pheasant to coyotes. Before it sprouted legs I had an old 4X Redfield on it. In my mind it was the perfect gun for those times when I’d drive up on something that needed shooting

Rick

I hate a thief. We all do.

🦫
Posted By: memtb Re: I decided on my truck gun… - 11/05/23
Hey Beav’, this is a bout carry method rather than the carry gun!

I’m guss’n that you have a cab on your UTV…..if so, here’s our carry method. It’s a bit slower to access, but gets the firearms off of the floor away from water and debris. It also has them out of sight of “prying eyes” unless the gawker is quite short!

I used a system made for a pickup truck cab, modified it to fit in our old Ranger, and secured it to the roll cage!

It may not work for you…..but, we’re pretty happy with it! memtb

Posted By: SLM Re: I decided on my truck gun… - 11/05/23
Careful what you wish for.

😂🦫

Yes.
Thank you for asking.

Sweet!

Good Luck, Tiny.

🦫
Dick pic's always result in trouble.... always.... wink
Posted By: SLM Re: I decided on my truck gun… - 11/05/23
Dick pics in a dress take it to a whole other level.
I've never figured out exactly what a Krunchenticker is? I've never seen anyone else ask so I may be the only one
Originally Posted by moosemike
I've never figured out exactly what a Krunchenticker is? I've never seen anyone else ask so I may be the only one
AR, I think? Not sure why, though.
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm

Interesting! Doesn't make sense but whatever

Interesting! Doesn't make sense but whatever

Blacks have ebonics..... Stick has stickonics.... same same
I've got an ancient Marlin 336 in 30-30 that still shoots lights out with 170g CoreLokts, open sights only.
Originally Posted by SLM
Careful what you wish for.

😂🦫

Yes.
Thank you for asking.

Sweet!

Good Luck, Tiny.

🦫

Tiny’s, pics are like clockwork. So I downloaded a filter that makes his pictures look bigger.

Lol

🦫
You all almost seem unappreciative of the effort I put into those pics, and I am kind of hurt.
I know you all like them, and you sure don't complain when I send them.

So passive aggressive.....
You all almost seem unappreciative of the effort I put into those pics, and I am kind of hurt.

I ❤️ Your Pics!

Better?

😝🦫
Posted By: SLM Re: I decided on my truck gun… - 11/06/23
There might have been some confusion when I said, “keep the dead meat pics coming”.

I ❤️ Your Pics!

Better?

😝🦫

Yes.

8 does spotted this evening and not a buck in sight. I have until the 12th though...
Originally Posted by SLM
There might have been some confusion when I said, “keep the dead meat pics coming”.

This is what I mean by passive aggression.
Posted By: GeoW Re: I decided on my truck gun… - 11/06/23
Predates Stick. One of Jeff Cooper's names for 9mm autos back in the day.
Originally Posted by AKduck

Glad that rifle is working well. I’ve it’s twin in 6.5 that’s been handy this rut. The loudener solution is genius.

More genius than THIS?

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]
Nine bucks from amazon and you still have the nice Christensen factory brake should you ever want it or for resale.
Just sayin'
Rex
No thanks. Hint.............

The only time I have heard the term Krunchenticker it was used by Jeff Cooper while referring to a pistol with a single action/double action trigger. The first trigger pull was long and cocked the hammer, therefore the crunch. Successive shots were light as the hammer was cocked by the slide, hence the tick.
Jeff Cooper called AR-15s by that name.

Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox

The only time I have heard the term Krunchenticker it was used by Jeff Cooper while referring to a pistol with a single action/double action trigger. The first trigger pull was long and cocked the hammer, therefore the crunch. Successive shots were light as the hammer was cocked by the slide, hence the tick.
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Jeff Cooper called AR-15s by that name.

So... are you guys saying Stick plagiarized? he certainly likes to accuse others of such.... hmmmmm.... projection is a leftist trait... wink
Wow. Never knew it was a Jeff Cooperism! Thanks guys
If I remember correctly, he was referring to a CZ 75 specifically. This was just after the fall of the Soviet Union and eastern bloc weapons began appearing in the US.
Yes. “Cooperism”. I always thought it referred to AR’s. But explanation about DA/SA above makes sense.

Jeff Cooper coined the term.

Krunchenticker is a Double Action pistol such as a P-38 or Baretta 92. Krunchen is the first long double action pull of the trigger and Tick is the following single action trigger pulls.

LiL Fish some how thought it was a reference to ARs but then LiL Fish is not the brightest bulb in AK.

LOL.

Already answered.
Most recent “truck gun” is a Kimber Montana in 22-250 w/1:8 Lilja that duplicates the factory contour and is cut @ 22”. It’s topped with a 2.5-10x42 NXS W/IHR reticle and loaded w/75gn A-Max’s.

It’s handy.
Couple weeks back, bought my first truly "new" rifle in a long time. Picked up a Left Hand Tikka T3x Super Light in 6.5 Man bun. First LH Tikka SL. First 6.5. When the guy behind the counter asked what I was going to hunt with it?, I replied "Truck Gun". His head popped up. "That's a pretty nice rifle to be a truck gun." I just shrugged and grinned.
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Couple weeks back, bought my first truly "new" rifle in a long time. Picked up a Left Hand Tikka T3x Super Light in 6.5 Man bun. First LH Tikka SL. First 6.5. When the guy behind the counter asked what I was going to hunt with it?, I replied "Truck Gun". His head popped up. "That's a pretty nice rifle to be a truck gun." I just shrugged and grinned.

I love it!

For a lot of dudes, who probably see more targets of opportunity while rolling around in their outdoor office than most people see during a hunting season.

It’s not really that surprising that some will upgrade their gun wares from the more traditional type of truck gun.

‘Don’ Huntsman22 comes to mind. Don, stacks up piles of fur and feathers.

Just one of Hunts toys that ride.

https://i.postimg.cc/wM7GqVNg/IMG-0349.webp[/img]

🦫
I think that's a good solid choice.
personally I prefer synthetic stocks on my buying around guns that ride around in the four-wheeler ,side-by-side, tractors farm trucks and such .. wood scars a bit worse but if the owner don't care. and besides they say chicks dig scars..
I guess I never have seen what was in the cab of a truck that's so hard on guns.

I have a 40 year old BDL that's seen many miles as a truck gun. Still in 80% or better shape.
It’s rare that I don’t have my 18” AR riding shotgun with me. I keep 5 20 rounders in the door pocket and have laid low many a varmint.

It’s the easiest, cheapest, route I have found to an easy shooting, effective, and accurate rifle. That has cheap ammo if I want to shoot a crow or interesting rock. And I have no worries whatsoever about scratching or bruising it. I might even clean it once a year some years.
First of all, pretty snazzy there Beav.

Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
I guess I never have seen what was in the cab of a truck that's so hard on guns.

I have a 40 year old BDL that's seen many miles as a truck gun. Still in 80% or better shape.

When these little buggers come to life and start trying to crawl all over....lol

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

This is my latest truck gun, Weatherby labeled 223. Need to get it threaded for my first ever can that should be here now. The Kimber MT 243 is handier out the window but louder and little harder to shoot well with cab motion.

Brings a tear to my eye.

It took me long enough to decide between 3 rifles which one would be my riding companion in the UTV.

I held tryouts for each rifle, each one in the beginning I thought would be the perfect shooting partner only to find something that made me say, next.

Here’s the three rifles and the ‘why’ on two of them I decided against using.

Number 1

I had this Tikka CTR rechambered/barreled from a 6.5 Creedmoor into a 6.5x47 Lapua. Shaen did the work for me. Like any shooting iron Shaen puts his mitts on, it became an incredibly accurate and slick feeding tool.

I was stoked at having a 6.5x47L chambering - thinking it would be perfect for my shooting needs on the property for mainly drilling coyotes, deer, and other small, furry, nuisances.

For me, the 6.5x47L is still my #1 choice for what my needs are. Unfortunately, even after taking all the shims out of the Tikka stock. It still doesn’t fit me. I’ve had this same problem with other Tikka CTR’s that I’ve owned being too long of a pull for me. I should have slammed it into different furniture and been done. I still might do this in the future.

Number 2

This 7WSM got itself a new Bartlein tube, again, courtesy of Mr. Shaen. Now, with a new barrel, it’s a precision shooting rifle. This rifle started out as an old, semi custom build from Gunwerks, back in the early years before Gunwerks became a boutique shop making ‘Shooting Systems’ for 12k or more.

While it’s a superb hunting rifle, with a no nonsense Howa action, fluted bolt and sitting in a Bansner stock making it light. I didn’t want a 7WSM for what I’d be using it for (over-kill) I am, however, going to take it elk hunting this year and let her eat into some Wapiti’s hide.

Number 3 and the winner for being my daily ride along buddy.

I had this rifle sitting in the back of my safe. It’s a GA Precision build that I traded into several years ago. It would see daylight every couple of years to remind me that the range performance from this 6.5 Creedmoor was excellent.

Nothing really special about this rifle. It’s got an older Mack Bros. receiver, not the Ti action. Proof CF barrel, Thunder Beast brake, H-S Precision detachable magazine that slipped into the bottom BDL cut.

The H-S magazine assembly isn’t great for extending bullets way out, but using boxed, Horn 143gr Eld-x ammo, it works great. Trigger is a TT Primary. All of it stuffed into a slightly heavy, but solid Grayboe Terrain stock.

The scope was another trade I made several years ago. Sig Sauer Whiskey5 3-15x44 with lights. The limited dialing I’ve done with this scope has been good. Time may tell how it holds up after daily rough riding.

No frills, on this one. It’s already got a few ‘sorry’s’ on it from the past couple of weeks riding bitch. More Oopsies will happen.
Oh, well,,,It’s a truck gun.

🦫
Very nice, Mark!
Sam,

I can only imagine how much you miss your ol red dog. Both you and Huntsman have had cool working furs.

I had a chance with our current mutt, ‘Danner Boot’, to have my own working dog. But my wife was crushed when we lost our dog after 15 years.

It was obvious, she needed Boot to bond with her more than me. So, when we got Boot and he immediately showed his desire to roll truck with me everywhere. I felt it best deny him truck time and give the wife the opportunity with Danner to connect…It worked.

The only way I can get that dog away from my wife now, is to start the truck up and take him for a ride.

Me, on the tractor, mower, or UTV, doing work around the property - Boot, wants nothing to do with me. Unless it’s Mama on the equipment. Then he’s following her around until the work is done.

As for your Weatherby Vanguard 223. That’s a great truck gun!

The two Vanguard’s I’ve owned were both incredibly accurate. Each one would embarrass my Wby MarkV’s without any fuss. The MarkV’s I had to tinker with just to pull a smidge better than MOA outta them. Both Vanguard’s were sub shooters out of the box. Go figure 🙄

Curious, here. How’s the accuracy from the 223? And, what Burris do you have riding on it?

🦫
Thanks, Jordan!

In keeping with the new me, and trying not to make painful mistakes on my rifles with snappy, impulsive, decisions.

I decided, instead of cutting back the barrel to 20” and buying new furniture for the Tikka CTR. I’m going to send the 6.5 CM to Shaen and have him chop the Proof CF barrel to 20” and be done with it.

The ‘CTR’ puts up to nice of groups without any effort. I can live with the stock length not being perfect for me. It’s fine when shooting off a pack.

🦫
Beav, our three couch hounds stay with my wife 24/7/365. They don't get to do any cool chit with me!
(wife is afraid they'll get dirty and die)

Same boat brother.....lol

The 223 shoots great with factory loaded 55 grain Vmax. It's a sub 400 yard coyote rifle.

Fullfield II 2-7x33?

Not to hijack but what factory rifle would you buy for suppressed truck gun?
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Not to hijack but what factory rifle would you buy for suppressed truck gun?
If you don't mind Tupperware a Ruger American Ranch could work depending on what cartridge you want.
Sam,

I would do a Howa Mini in 6mm ARC suppressed.

🦫
Thanks, Jordan!

In keeping with the new me, and trying not to make painful mistakes on my rifles with snappy, impulsive, decisions.

I decided, instead of cutting back the barrel to 20” and buying new furniture for the Tikka CTR. I’m going to send the 6.5 CM to Shaen and have him chop the Proof CF barrel to 20” and be done with it.

The ‘CTR’ puts up to nice of groups without any effort. I can live with the stock length not being perfect for me. It’s fine when shooting off a pack.

🦫
Can't go wrong either way, IMO. A T3x SL chopped to 22" in a Wildcat stock makes a great truck gun, too. wink
Posted By: RinB Re: I decided on my truck gun… - 11/08/23
Beav
Be sure to let us know how shortening that Proof CF barrel works out !
Posted By: RinB Re: I decided on my truck gun… - 11/08/23
Sam,
What breed is that cute black puppy?
😜
Sam,

🦫
Hadn't thought about that one.
Originally Posted by RinB
Beav
Be sure to let us know how shortening that Proof CF barrel works out !

Absolutely!

Shaen, said about two weeks after he get’s my barreled action.

🦫
Sam,

🦫
Hadn't thought about that one.

There’s too many choices.

Easy to forget several.

🦫
There’s actually a bunch of suppressor ready rifles these days. Seems to be more budget guns than non budget guns. At $500, there’s the RAR ranch , midway the Xbolt SR ($1200 ish) and at the upper end CA scout and $3 grand a NULA. CVA makes them . I believe the howas can be had with shorter threaded barrels.
Truck gun? Well I have more than a few, best defined by whatever I have with me in the truck. Mb
The Sig Cross is tempting
Posted By: JPro Re: I decided on my truck gun… - 11/08/23
Originally Posted by TheKid
It’s rare that I don’t have my 18” AR riding shotgun with me. I keep 5 20 rounders in the door pocket and have laid low many a varmint.

It’s the easiest, cheapest, route I have found to an easy shooting, effective, and accurate rifle. That has cheap ammo if I want to shoot a crow or interesting rock. And I have no worries whatsoever about scratching or bruising it. I might even clean it once a year some years.

Same here. Mine gets some compressed air and lube every now and then. Just wipe the mud and paw prints off of it if need be. The 77 TMK and 65 Gameking shoot to the same POI with 200yd zero.

For a $400 upper, that SS PSA barrel does okay at 400yds with the 77gr.

Mines a rem 700 in 243 win. 14 power leupold. Gun aint beautiful but likes a 75 vmax. The coyote deaths with that old 700 is up over 100 I'm sure. One day, it was our general gun season and I seen a good buck on one of our places with a doe. I'm not saying a 243 win with a 75 grain vmax is a deer gun, but I got ahead of that dude and gave him one to the lungs at about 300 and he hopped twice and laid down. I tried a 22-250 for a while and it just didn't have the pop that 243 does. Like that cartridge and that old wood stocked rem 700. Pretty good do all for my parts.
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

No complaints on my Cross, should somebody need/want a folder. It makes for a compact all-weather setup.

Originally Posted by Coyote10
Mines a rem 700 in 243 win. 14 power leupold. Gun aint beautiful but likes a 75 vmax. The coyote deaths with that old 700 is up over 100 I'm sure. One day, it was our general gun season and I seen a good buck on one of our places with a doe. I'm not saying a 243 win with a 75 grain vmax is a deer gun, but I got ahead of that dude and gave him one to the lungs at about 300 and he hopped twice and laid down. I tried a 22-250 for a while and it just didn't have the pop that 243 does. Like that cartridge and that old wood stocked rem 700. Pretty good do all for my parts.

Local hunter here put up a lot of FB videos over the last few years with a thermal/AR10 .243 combo. He shot the 75gr Vmax for coyotes and hogs to very good effect.
First of all, pretty snazzy there Beav.

When these little buggers come to life and start trying to crawl all over....lol

This is my latest truck gun, Weatherby labeled 223. Need to get it threaded for my first ever can that should be here now. The Kimber MT 243 is handier out the window but louder and little harder to shoot well with cab motion.

Brings a tear to my eye.

That's a truck gun. Reminds me of my truck in january when we're calving. Put the bail wrap in the cab so it don't blow off the bed. And the red heeler to boot? Very nice. I can tell you've popped a coyote or two. Nice work.
Originally Posted by RinB
Sam,
What breed is that cute black puppy?
😜

Thinking, black Anus !

grin
Truck guns all depend on where I'm going. A shotgun rides along most of the time. If I'm checking hog traps I like my Rossi carbine in 45 Colt. The basic rifle is a beater Savage in 243 loaded with 58 gr. VMax's unless I happen to take my 6AR. Sooo many choices. Then there is the inevitable pistol. A good 1911 in my case all the time. As for truck dogs a Catahoula and an 85 pound Black mouth cur. In my case the order of bottom to top is the bigger decision for the firearms.
Originally Posted by rickt300
Truck guns all depend on where I'm going. A shotgun rides along most of the time. If I'm checking hog traps I like my Rossi carbine in 45 Colt. The basic rifle is a beater Savage in 243 loaded with 58 gr. VMax's unless I happen to take my 6AR. Sooo many choices. Then there is the inevitable pistol. A good 1911 in my case all the time. As for truck dogs a Catahoula and an 85 pound Black mouth cur. In my case the order of bottom to top is the bigger decision for the firearms.

I should have started a thread on what’s the best truck dog?

Size, breed, temperament, color, and durability. That would have had some serious legs for posted replies.

As for my truck gun. Shaen, should be getting my 6.5 CM barreled action tomorrow for a chop to 20”. It’ll be a solid improvement for handling in/out of the UTV.

🦫
Posted By: JPro Re: I decided on my truck gun… - 11/13/23
Truck dog? Since it’s the Campfire, it would have to be a pitbull….. grin
Originally Posted by JPro
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

No complaints on my Cross, should somebody need/want a folder. It makes for a compact all-weather setup.

The Cross being a folder definitely has some advantages. There’s getting to be more folder rifles and after market stocks available in that configuration. A guy who has to pack in to reach the hunting grounds might benefit from the reduction in overall rifle length.

🦫
Originally Posted by JPro
Truck dog? Since it’s the Campfire, it would have to be a pitbull….. grin

😂🦫

Size, breed, temperament, color, and durability. That would have had some serious legs for posted replies.

As for my truck gun. Shaen, should be getting my 6.5 CM barreled action tomorrow for a chop to 20”. It’ll be a solid improvement for handling in/out of the UTV.

🦫

I honestly didn’t know you could shorten a cf barrel. Can’t wait to see the results.
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Damn hard to improve upon that duo.

🦫
now it's a triple....
Looks like trouble!
Posted By: JPro Re: I decided on my truck gun… - 11/14/23
Never had a Heeler but they’re on my list of pups to try at some point. I’ve been around some rather cool examples.
Originally Posted by LSU fan

🦫

I honestly didn’t know you could shorten a cf barrel. Can’t wait to see the results.

That’ll be the story of my life, if Shaen calls me tomorrow and says, “Where’s the 20” barrel you wanted me to thread”? 😆

🦫
Looks like trouble!

Triple trouble.

Lol

🦫
now it's a triple....

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Live that first photo!
Looks like trouble!

Triple trouble.

Lol

🦫

Triple threat in the 'hood!

Heelers are the coolest dogs. Fairly serious and chill...until it's time to get to business!

My parent's latest farm dog is a Rez pup and she is totally kickass. Not sure if she'll ever be anywhere close to a heeler when it comes to working cows but she's smart as hell and listens.
now it's a triple....

You don’t need to worry about your carry weapon with that trio around…😁
Originally Posted by navlav8r
now it's a triple....

You don’t need to worry about your carry weapon with that trio around…😁

375, 300, and 257!
That’ll be the story of my life, if Shaen calls me tomorrow and says, “Where’s the 20” barrel you wanted me to thread”? 😆

🦫

😂😂

🦫

😂😂

I got the call from Shaen, yesterday. No Bueno, on setting back the CF barrel. 😖 It’s coming back to be reinstalled into her furniture and left as she is.

I hit my LGS yesterday in search of a new option for my UTV Partner in 6.5 CM. I settled on a Fierce Mini Carbon Rogue with cheek riser and a 20” tube and brake.

The Rogue was lightweight @ 5.5lbs and nimble. Fierce alleges a 3/4 inch group guarantee with 3 rounds. We’ll see about that. It lands next week.

I will grab it when I get back from elk hunting, give it some glass, then see what it does with Hornady’s 143 ELD-X and their 129gr. SST ammo.

More to come…

🦫

🦫

😂😂

I got the call from Shaen, yesterday. No Bueno, on setting back the CF barrel. 😖 It’s coming back to be reinstalled into her furniture and left as she is.

I hit my LGS yesterday in search of a new option for my UTV Partner in 6.5 CM. I settled on a Fierce Mini Carbon Rogue with cheek riser and a 20” tube and brake.

The Rogue was lightweight @ 5.5lbs and nimble. Fierce alleges a 3/4 inch group guarantee with 3 rounds. We’ll see about that. It lands next week.

I will grab it when I get back from elk hunting, give it some glass, then see what it does with Hornady’s 147 ELD-X and their 129gr. SST ammo.

More to come…

🦫

Good luck on the mountain. Buddy just called and said he knocked down a bull (spike) on Mt Emily.

🦫

😂😂

I will grab it when I get back from elk hunting, give it some glass, then see what it does with Hornady’s 147 ELD-X and their 129gr. SST ammo.

More to come…

🦫

Good luck on the mountain. Buddy just called and said he knocked down a bull (spike) on Mt Emily.

That’s awesome for your Bud!

I got a crazy train going on here at the property. A herd of 15 Roosevelt’s with 3 bulls, one a shooter 5x5 just showed up yesterday morning. We typically see an elk herd around every year, but usually in December.

I’m watching them at maybe 120 yards as they proceeded to tear the heck out of my newly seeded pastures. Finally, I sent Danner Boot the dog to chase them off.

That maybe wasn’t the best idea, Scotty. The herd spooked and dug in hard and deep, with their hooves, making the situation worse than me just letting them graze and move along.

Laffin!

You start eating any of your elk yet? I did finally kill a small Blacktail buck on the last day of the season. A decent little fork came out with its nose to the ground hoping to locate a hot doe.

I ended his trailing effort with one shot, high up on his neck. He’ll eat!

Take care, Bud.

🦫

🦫

😂😂

I will grab it when I get back from elk hunting, give it some glass, then see what it does with Hornady’s 143 ELD-X and their 129gr. SST ammo.

More to come…

🦫

Hate it didn’t work out but I like your plan B.

🦫

😂😂

More to come…

🦫

That’s awesome for your Bud!

I got a crazy train going on here at the property. A herd of 15 Roosevelt’s with 3 bulls, one a shooter 5x5 just showed up yesterday morning. We typically see an elk herd around every year, but usually in December.

I’m watching them at maybe 120 yards as they proceeded to tear the heck out of my newly seeded pastures. Finally, I sent Danner Boot the dog to chase them off.

That maybe wasn’t the best idea, Scotty. The herd spooked and dug in hard and deep, with their hooves, making the situation worse than me just letting them graze and move along.

Laffin!

You start eating any of your elk yet? I did finally kill a small Blacktail buck on the last day of the season. A decent little fork came out with its nose to the ground hoping to locate a hot doe.

I ended his trailing effort with one shot, high up on his neck. He’ll eat!

Take care, Bud.

🦫

Man, only a Beav would run off elk right before hunting season!

Yeah, I started feeding a bit on the elk last weekend. Pretty tasty, but I have been lucky and haven't had a bad raghorn or spike in my limited experience.

Looking forward to seeing how you all do once you get started hunting. I know the west side is about like hunting giant whitetails!

And you ran them off! grin

Laffin!

🦫

Man, only a Beav would run off elk right before hunting season!

grin

Bro, I had the shakes so bad looking at the 5x5 just feeding away. He’s eating my pasture up like a horse with no worries. Then the bull stands broadside to me @ NO MORE THAN 125 YARDS!

A criminals mind started to creep into my thoughts. “Beav, just stone him, nobody would know”. 🤔

I knew then, it was time to send the dog out before my sweaty hands was holding a rifle and this pasture eating bull died.

🤣🦫
Bro, I had the shakes so bad looking at the 5x5 just feeding away. He’s eating my pasture up like a horse with no worries. Then the bull stands broadside to me @ NO MORE THAN 125 YARDS!

A criminals mind started to creep into my thoughts. “Beav, just stone him, nobody would know”. 🤔

I knew then, it was time to send the dog out before my sweaty hands were holding a rifle and this pasture eating bull died.

🤣🦫

I get that! Cool to see them, even if they are eating your pasture alive!
© 24hourcampfire