Home
I've always wanted to own a 257 Roy.I have a 257AI but the extra horsepower has always intrigued me.How about you? Which one and why?
.375 H&H. Every one I ever shot was a real shooter. A classic cartridge in the true sense. Fairly practical even on North American game.
6.5x55 swede
284 Winchester! I am in the parts aquisition stage now! Just something neat about 280 performance in a short action. In fact, just about anything from .25 cal to 338 cal in the 284 Win case intrigues me.

Add the .338 Win. mag.! I've wanted one of those for a while too.
338 Lapua and 50BMG I like the little guys smile
I've had most of what I've ever wanted.....but I could think of something.....maybe a 300WSM..or a 7WSM
I'd say a 375H&H or a 257Bob.

RH
Originally Posted by powdr
I've always wanted to own a 257 Roy.

Me too. I'd love to have an older, gaudy, pimped out .257 Weatherby.
It would make a fine antelope/muledeer rifle(used on special occasions).
Originally Posted by rockchucker
6.5x55 swede

That SCREAMS Sako! I have this weird mental thing that has me putting certain calibers in certain rifles. crazy
i have wanted a 257 WBY for the past couple years but cant rationalize it... i have a 270wsm that shoots 140 accubonds into scary small wholes when i am on at 3150 fps.

wanted a 338 when i hunted elk with a rifle, but the next time i hunt elk will be with my mathews... not a rifle.

other than that, a 270. but i have one. 25-06, had one and sold it.
.221 FireBall in a light rifle.
Just because....(grin)
I've got a .223, .204,and 22 Hornet. always figured the .221 was a "modern" hornet.
Virgil B.
My longest standing want is for the 300 H&H. It's a classic cartridge with good all around ballistics, and the hunting camp probably isn't crawling with them.

mathman
Any Nitro Express, would be a blast to shoot in the right gun but the gun and ammo are way too expensive for me right now.

Also, a 338 Winchester will (probably) be my next purchase so that is the second choice.
7x61 Sharpe & Hart. I remember reading the Hornady manual Dad gave me back in '75 or so and thinking it would be the berries.
300 H&H in a Dakota M-76..
RL
I also want a double rifle in 475#2. More than the other two that I mntioned above. WHY? Because the cartridges are so dammned BIG and cool looking! Almost bought one at SCI two years ago.
35 Whelen--and I just got it, but haven't shot it yet.
I always wanted a pre-64 M70 Westerner in .264 Winchester magnum. There is currently an over-priced speciman sitting in one of the local funstores, and I stop in to visit it on weekly basis...........

Kaiser Norton
Another vote for 375 H&H
Kaiser... good choice! not too much of a fan of the belted mags as the 3 i have been around ( 264, 7mm, and 300wm) were not all that great shooters. but still thats a damn good choice!
1).219 Donaldson Wasp in a Winchester Hi-Wall
2).256 Newton in a Springfield sporter (pretty much a 6.5/06)

Can I keep going?
FirstCoues- I only own one belted magnum - a Semdero in 7mm Remington Magnum. Topped with a Leupold Vari-X III 6.5x20 it is very comfortable to shoot, and "accurate enough". So far though, it has accounted for only one antelope (a doe at 130 yards) and several gophers. The .264 will most likely remain a yen, instead of a reality..........

Kaiser Norton
In the past couple of years it was 300 Ultra, 350 Rem Mag, 7mm-300 WSM, 22-250 Ackley, and 257 WBY.....All of the above have been done or are being done. The next itch that needs scratched is a 6.5x284 in an A-5!!!

X-VERMINATOR
6.5/378 weatherby magnum
Originally Posted by RL KURTZ
RL

Same here. We're actually taking a tour of the Dakota factory next Monday - if they have one you want me to have them send you the bill? wink
6.5-06
257 Roy! Antelope gun.
19 Calhoon AI...
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Originally Posted by RL KURTZ
RL

Same here. We're actually taking a tour of the Dakota factory next Monday - if they have one you want me to have them send you the bill? wink

That would make my wife very proud crazy
25-284

Got one almost finished.

Other than that, 375H&H, 35 Whelen, and 7x57, most of which have already been mentioned in this thread by others.
crazyNot too sure it is one that I always wanted to own but I should someday own an 06...grins

Dober
Lots of 6.5's mentioned. I have always wanted a 6.5 Rem Mag. Seems that it is just the right size.

lately, I've been knawing on the 6.5 short Winny...but no one makes it that I know of, outside of custom jobs. I have held off buying a 270 short... but probably won't be able to hold off much longer wink

bhtr
Years back in the mid 80's when I was still in the gun bidnizz as a reg'l factory rep, I made a sales call on the guy at the Enid Oklahoma airport that all the "traveling hunters" know. I still see him sometimes at the Dallas Safari Club event in January when I can make it. Anyway he was on the phone with somebody not in the US for a while and I had time to kill fondling his toys all around the walkin safe that he calls a store. I kept coming back to a raggedy looking double Holland in 375H&H...and fantasizing. When he got off the phone he sez "you got lots of fingerprints on that'un..ya want to take it with you?" I sez "Wall jist mebbe...let me get my quarterly bonus check in and I'll let ya know"...and he sez "Wow I'm in the Wrong bidnizz if you get quarterly's like that"...and I sez "Huh? its only $3,750"...and he grinned and sez "Look at the tag again and ADD another ZERO" LOLOL Was I ever embarrassed...but what a double gun with 50+ years of stories showing on it, horn trigger guard, shadow outline steel butt plate, slim splinter forend that balanced in my hands like a feather, express sights that came directly into my sight line perfectly EVERY time I shouldered the rifle...and a bargain at the price of my 2nd house over ten years earlier! Oh Well mebbe "some day I'll win the Lottery" and beat feet to Enid and see what he's got that I can "afford".
Ron
Heh, I've got what I've always wanted...a 7-08 Ackley.
45/70 in a lever, not sure if it will be Guide Gun or.... been hankerin for one the last couple years. Was going to buy one last year then I tripped over a Ruger 77 tang safety in 35 Whelen....... then along came this Win 94 in 44 Mag......Maybe this year.
475 Linebaugh........
Always wanted a nice 7x57 or 284, or maybe a 222mag.

CK
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
.256 Newton in a Springfield sporter

Make that mine too. smile
222, mostly because I miss shooting woodchucks in the hay fields back east. I think a 222 would be the shizznitt for the chucks.

257 Bob, its a classic that (I think) would be a gem for big game if you pick your shots and would double as a great chuck rifle in the off season.
I want a classic Oberndorf Mauser or a BRNO 22 in 6.5x57 Mauser.

Just because grin...
I am pretty satisfied with what I have now but wouldn't mind having:
a deadly accurate .223 built on a mini Mauser
a Marlin Cowboy in .45/70
and a Butch Searcy Double rifle in .500 NE
25 WSM
.307 Win in a Marlin
270 weatherby
A wildcat built on a custom rifle. Not sure of the caliber exactly but most likely one based on the 284, 30-06, or a shortmag case in 6mm, 257 or 6.5mm, Ackley-ized. Heavy enough to ride the bags and hang on target but not so much as to become a bench only rig. Good looking, with some practicality. Problem is everytime I start thinking serious about it, a rifle in the safe comes to mind that does it as well or better with no money spent. Maybe someday!
I'd love to see a .25 WSM (not WSSM) and/or a .25-08 cartridge.
cartridge?
i don't want no stinkin' cartridge!
i do, however, want a light, handy, iron-sighted bolt gun chambered in 9.3x62.
for alabama whitetails.
go figure ...
I've always had a hankering for a nice 450 Alaskan on a 71 or Browning 71.....missed a couple good deals but who knows....another one may come along.
Vern-first fella I ever guided on a bruin hunt (here in Montana) actually hauled a 71 and a 88 around. Way cool old rifles, I would absolutely love to have an old 71 in a carbine!

Mark D
223AI
25 WSM
7-08AI
forgot to add 257 Weatherby
I would love a Model 71 too,(Winny or Browning) but in the clasic .348

Also a Totally custom Husqvarna mauser 98 on a 6.5x55 swede - "a double swede"
Man this is a good question

There is a bunch that I want
257 roy
25 wsm
7 wsm (had one and sold it without shooting it)
338 RUM
223 AI (burning up a factory 223 barrel as we speak)
7/08 AI (burning up a douglas barrel also)
50 BMG

that is the short list.......Blake
Back in the seventies I got hold of a box of 264 Win ammo. I said "I gotta have one of these". It took me twenty years to accomplish but I did find a model 70 classic.

My next hankering was for a 300 Dakota, until I saw the specs for the 375 Ruger. Now I want a 30-375 Ruger.

But a 204 will probably be my next acquisition.
Another vote for the 257 WBY. I don't know why, but I've always wanted one but just never seem to get around to it. Don't really know what I'd do with it anyway.
Forgot to add a 405 Winchester.....
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Forgot to add a 405 Winchester.....

Got one in a #1H and lovin' it!

I'm waiting on a 6.5x55 Swede. Likely in a Tikka.
I considered the same set-up. Read an article in GunWorld a few years back about one, then saw Boddington using one on buffalo. An 1895 would be sweet too......
300 H&H to go with my 375 H&H and preferably in a pre-64 model 70.
Originally Posted by fish280
cartridge?
i do, however, want a light, handy, iron-sighted bolt gun chambered in 9.3x62.
for alabama whitetails.

I almost got the CZ 550 in that cal., but they only offer it with the American-style stock with no sights. I went 300 Win mag, so I could re-barrel to 338 Win. Hogback and express sights!!
1886 Winchester Long Rifle in .50 Express.
I've "always wanted" a 9.3 X 62 - at least "always" - since I read Mule Deer's opinion on them, and then after I started reading more about what others have written about it.
Dang old Mule Deer is soo good at spending our hard earned cheddar...grins

But, he is one of the good guys so he is forgiven.

Dober
I have had a bunch of rifles that I played around with and traded off. I usually have a core of keepers from .270 Win to 300 WSM but I have always had an urge for a .240 Wby. Mag. but not in a Mk V rifle.
Strayperro-build yourself a 6/06 on a 700 or 70, get a 4 weight 10 twist Schneider and cut it to 25".

You just can't believe how much you would love it!

Mark D
Me thinks I am bitten pretty severely by the 9.3X62 bug! That round just sounds like alot of fun to thump some big critters with.
6.5X55 and .375 H&H
240 Weatherby in a 5.5 pound rifle (scoped) . Cases are so damn expensive however.
7x64 Brenneke or 9.3x62
257 Bob
9.3x62
340 Roy
Originally Posted by North61
240 Weatherby in a 5.5 pound rifle (scoped) . Cases are so damn expensive however.

That's why you go 6-06 and live happily ever after.......
.280 Rem and they are getting damn hard to find. I think Ruger still puts it in the 77, but you would think Remington would still chamber a 700 BDL in it and they don't. But they put it in the new Alaskan Ti at over a grand!!
6x45

6.5x57

and 33 Win in an 1886 lightweight rifle!

Sycamore
Besides what I have, I would have to say I have always wanted a 270 Weatherby. As a Mule Deer hunter, I always really considered it a great cartridge.
I have to add a 50 Alaskan to the list. I wonder, would it be a cool round in a short barreled bolt with irons????
7x57 Mauser
375 H&H
257 Roberts (recent decision)
Personally, I ain't never wanted a "cartridge" that I didn't own a rifle for. Fact is, I find 'em pretty boring alone.

Now lets get into the semantics of calling a cartridge a "caliber", as is common on this forum and others.
quiet a broad range of desire when it comes to cartridges.

Always wanted? honestly I'd have to say none.

Wanted after I had known enough about the subject.

358 Win
7-08
300 WSM

Spot
I have a 35whelen, totally understand the need for a 9.3x62, but would like a mid-weight Rem 700 in 9.3x66sako. This would obsolete every othe rifle/cartridge I have except for the 6.5x55 which is good for sniping at coyotes and wolves or anything else that needs precision.
Mathman, check out auctionarms.com. Winchester M1917 custom in 300 H&H. Looks like a deal to me. Item number 7950930
Next on my build list...don't need 'em but I want 'em bad.

.223 AI

25 Souper

.338 Win Mag
I believe that would not be a M70 but an Enfield. Not a bad gun, just not a M70.
I was just relaying the decription on the auction. Didn't Winchester produce some 1917's? Maybe thats what they meant. I really couldn't tell what model it was from the pics. Still a pretty gun in a classy cartridge. And maybe a bargin if the price doesn't climb to high.
OK, just went back and really looked. Definatly an 1917 Enfield. They must have been refering to the manufacturer. If I had any extra money laying around I wouldn't be pointing it out to someone else.
Originally Posted by wallaby
I was just relaying the decription on the auction. Didn't Winchester produce some 1917's?

Yes they did. I have one in my gun safe right now. Remington also made them.
Mt dream combo is a Bob Owen Springfield sporter in 30/06.
And, I still have palpations over a 25 Souper.
If I didn't have a 284, I'd been serious about a 280AI since brass is available.

Don
I've owned a rifle chambered for every cartridge I ever wanted and am past that phase. Now I own only what I need.
Originally Posted by Brad
I've owned a rifle chambered for every cartridge I ever wanted and am past that phase. Now I own only what I need.

Stop being so rational..........................grin
7x57 Mauser, and finally got one!! smile
[Linked Image]
Or cheap... grin
Ken, that's a beauty!

If I hunted in a more reasonable environment or stand hunted deer all I'd own would be mannlicher stocked wood/blue rifles with the Brno 21 7x57 Mannlicher being the ideal!

I once had a Ruger M77 (tang) RSI in 7x57... a great little rifle but not as nice as yours.
Brad, I'm with you on all counts. I'd rather put more rifle money (as in, money for redundant rifles I don't need!) into more African safaris, Alaskan hunts, etc.. Hunting experience is a lot harder to come by that new rifles, and it's of much greater lasting value as well.

I had an inventory of fancy French walnut stockblanks for pretty new high-end customm rifles I had planned; various Mauser actions, etc, etc., and I sold off all of it and put that same money into hunts.

Much better investment............ grin

AD
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Strayperro-build yourself a 6/06 on a 700 Mark D
Yes I would rerally enjoy that one.
Whatever comes along.
what I always wanted was 8mm Rem Mag (since 20 years ago) and a 458 LOTT (since 1995), just ordered them last week, LH Rem 700's Customs, I have many rifles in many different cartridges but I had never had the tickle to buy the 8mm Rem Mag till days ago that I bought and shoot a Kar98 Mauser in 8mm PMM (8mm/458); the 458 LOTT is just an addition due that I wanted to build it years ago for a Bufalo hunt but ended building a 458 win mag in a 98k action.

the cartridge that I think I will never have but I really want is 450 Alaskan
Originally Posted by Riodot
I would love a Model 71 too,(Winny or Browning) but in the clasic .348

Also a Totally custom Husqvarna mauser 98 on a 6.5x55 swede - "a double swede"

Why not a factory Husqvarna 98 in 6.5x55?
I've had everything I've ever wanted.....
300 H&H
6.5x284
35 Whelen
416 RM
458 win mag
257 weatherby
7X57 in a pre-64 M70, mint condition for about $275.00
Originally Posted by 270guy
7X57 in a pre-64 M70, mint condition for about $275.00

When you find it I will give ya $550 for it. laugh Deal?

I would like to have a nice custom hunting rig done in 300 H & H using the pre 64 mag action that I have in the safe just sittin' there.
257 Roberts!!! Someday I'll have one!
DON: Have had a chance at a couple of Bob Owens rifles; a Springfield and a Mauser. Both 30/06. Saw them both at the Hallowell's store in Greenwich, Ct. years back.If I tried to buy everything I wanted,I would not be able to keep up with them all!
I would still like to get a 7x57 sometime.
smile
338 Lapua in an A-5 and 6.5x47.
223 AI
A 7mm STE on a Marlin 336.

Had one but had to sell it to help to pay to get rid of my ex-wife. In my opinion, it is the best round Layne Simpson ever came up with.

I've had just about every caliber rifle I ever desired. Today, I have a hankering for a 7mm RUM. Don't really need it. Would trade my 30-378 Sako for a nice one. My ideal platform would be a smooth CRF action with three lugs, nice trigger, 8 lbs scoped, and pretty walnut with oil finish. Sako 85?

One caliber everyone "must" experience is 7x57. It is just pure rifle loonie candy.
_
I've always wanted (in no particular order, I want'em all grin )

1. .338-378
2. .256 Newton
3. .375 H&H
4. 9.3x62
5..224 Clark
6. .220 Howell
7. .425 Wesley-Richards
8. .270 Weatherby
9. 6.5 BR
10 7 mm BR
11. .257 STW
12. .338 RUM
13. .375 RUM
14. 45-70
15. .45-120 Sharps
16. .450 Alaskan
17. 6mm/06
18. .257 Ackley Improved
19. .223 AI
20. 8MM Remington Magnum
21. .22/250 AI
22. .30-338
23. .250 Savage
24. .250 Savage AI
25. 6.5-284

Yes, I'm a Rifle-Looney grin

HBB
First would be a .318 Accelerated Express in a clasic Mauser, second is a .300 H&H in a Browning Safari Grade
I have had all that I have wanted and then sold them when I lost interest. I always wanted a 250-3000 and 257. I am on my third 250 and have three 257s. Had a 257 wby, sold it, and just got #2. This one is a keeper.

In the past, when my wife worked and we had a little extra money here and there, I built quite a few rifles, fooled with them and then sold them cause I never used them and got tired of looking at them in the safe. now, I try to only "invest" in rifles that I will keep for the long run. I still have too many but with three sons that hunt, my personal collection is getting smaller as their is increasing.

Rifles that I have sold include (all win 70 CRFs)
6.5x55 (two)
7x57
22-250
260 rem
6.5-06
264 win mag
300 win mag (several)
375 h&h
7mm rem mag (several)
338 wm
350 rm
6mm
6mm imp
257 imp
250 (that was a rem 700)
223 (win PF (2)and rem m7)
257 wby
270 wsm
300 wsm (2)
308 (2)
7mm-08 (2)
not sure if I can remember them all but some I would like to have back.

ones I have kept include

220 swift
240 wby
257 (3)
25-06
257 wby
270 win
7mm rm
300 wsm

(all win 70s with shilen or douglas barrels)

.375 H&H
.45-90 in a Sharps
7.62x25 in a Broomhandle Mauser
9x19 in a Luger
Short of what I have 450 Marlin, 338WM, 30-06, 306Win, I have always wanted a 458... first win now Lott
As much as I liked the 350, 338 and 375, I had no use for them as all I hunt these days is deer. I miss the 375 the most as it was a very nice rifle, one that I could not replace today. what's worse, the dentist that I sold it to just put it in the back of his bronco, no case, just to flop around. the thing was pristine! oh well, it's his now.
oh yeah, still want a 6.8 spc but not enough to pay to build one.
450/400 nice light double rifle. Every other caliber I wanted, I have already had.
I've pretty much owned something in every caliber at some time that I wanted except maybe a .505 Gibbs or .577 Nitro Express. But I've been starting to be more like Allenday and Brad in trying to thin the herd and spend my $$$ on shooting/ hunting instead of more guns that rarely get taken out.
hillbillybear, I am glad you narrowed it down to 25. crazy How long did it take you to do it?
Originally Posted by Takman
hillbillybear, I am glad you narrowed it down to 25. crazy How long did it take you to do it?

Oh, I haven't narrowed it down to only 25. My list is just the first 25 that popped into my head grin grin

HBB
A 7mm on the 375 Ruger case,just because....
Originally Posted by BobinNH
A 7mm on the 375 Ruger case,just because....

Well bob you're not only nut out there 'cause I'm going to have a 45-70 necked down to 348 and rebarrel my Marlin 1895SS
Of those I haven't tried:

22 hornet, just something about the old gently sloped cases and it's diminutive size.

30-30 WCF, hard to believe I've never had one, nor a mdl 94.

25-284, I figure there has to be something to the hype.

300 WSM, seems like a perfect hunting rig in a light rifle.

416 rem mag, after two 458 Lotts and a 500 Jeffrey, I've realized that my recoil tollerance ain't what it used to be, and the 416 has a perfect balance of power in a rifle of moderate weight and tollerable recoil.

Almost forgot, a 48 special revolver. I'm a huge fan of the 480 ruger, and plan to get a 9 1/2" srh to cut down to 5". What to do with the 4 1/2" stub? No problem, get a super blackhawk, bore the cylinder out to take a shortened 480 case, thread the barrel on, and walla, 275 gr swc's @ 700 fps.
I've already had everything I ever wanted to try. If I revisited any cartridge, it would be in a quality .30/06 and .375 H&H. Those cartridges do it all and everything else is just for fun.

AGW
The one I've got...a reliable 30-06!
284: I have discovered I am not the only nut out there! crazy
I want a 6mm rem, but they don't seem popular anymore and unfortunetly Tikka does make that CAL.
I want a classic Mauser in 10.75x68.
Remember, the 243 is a near ballistic twin to the 6mm Remington. Some prefer the 6mm for the slightly longer case neck.
If you just gotta have a 6mm, then go for it. I have an old 700 BDL in 6mm that shoots very well.
470 NE in a double rifle. A 22 Hornet is another that I would like to try.
© 24hourcampfire