Home
Posted By: Bugger 300 Win Mag vs 300 Weatherby - 03/06/24
Curious what others feel about these two.
I read an article from American Hunter and really wasn’t too impressed with the author’s opinion. Mainly his opinion, it seemed, that the 300 Weatherby kicks too hard. I have each both are Remington 700’s. I think the 300 Weatherby with 200 grain partitions kick much less than the 338 with 250 grain partitions. I don’t consider the Weatherby to be a “kicker” at least the Remington 700 version.

Those of you that have shot both, what’s your opinion?

You’ll note that this author had the Weatherby almost 300 for faster than the Winchester.

https://www.americanhunter.org/content/head-to-head-300-win-mag-vs-300-wby-mag/
They both kick too hard for the performance they generate.
The 300 PRC makes them both obsolete, better case design/capacity!
https://www.outdoorlife.com/guns/300-prc-vs-300-win-mag/
Posted By: Teal Re: 300 Win Mag vs 300 Weatherby - 03/06/24
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

That's where I am. Only owned the WM tho. It's just not enough "more" over a 30-06 to put up with it.
I thought he gave them both a fair shake.
I have both and load for both. With 180gr bullets, the Weatherby is about 150 fps faster (3100 v 3250), so not that big of a deal (if any). Where I think the Weatherby has a slight edge, is with 200gr bullets where the 300 Winchester's short neck is at a disadvantage due to case capacity. Lastly, the Weatherby costs a LOT more. All that said, I'm a 300 Weatherby guy all the way.
Originally Posted by Teal

It's just not enough "more" over a 30-06 to put up with it.
Yep. If a guy wants to shoot something big and snarly, there are better choices.
If a guy wants to shoot something a long ways away, there are better choices.
If a guy wants an all around hunting rifle, there are better choices.
Not much reason to choose a 300 Mag in the year 2024.
Originally Posted by 257Bob
The 300 PRC makes them both obsolete, better case design/capacity!
https://www.outdoorlife.com/guns/300-prc-vs-300-win-mag/

um. no. 250 FPS slower than the Weatherby @65K psi. Case design, I "guess" so but who cares..
Posted By: TRnCO Re: 300 Win Mag vs 300 Weatherby - 03/06/24
IDK, recoil on my 300 wm doesn't bother me that much.

Might be "better" calibers, but until the wm stops killing it's intended target, I'll keep using it
both have recoil i own both yet , the 300 Win. mag. is easier and cheaper to find ammo for ,personally i would rather use my 30-06 for all around ammo is easy to find or my 257 Weatherby mag. for deer and antelope that i handload for. Pete53
Both will likely recoil significantly with the heavier slugs. Back down to maybe 180 gr and there will be less punishment. I don't have a 300 but do use a 30-378. Put a Weatherby of near any caliber up against anything similar in a race, and the Weatherby will come in ahead.

Either of the OP's choices will work well against anything in North America. I happen to like Weatherby's in several calibers.
I guess recoil depends on the weight of the rifle and on the rifle stock, I have 9.25 lb Savage Long Range Hunter in 300 WM and felt recoil with 180 gr bullets is slightly sharper than 8.5 lb 30-06 with 180 Gr bullets. Weatherby rifles are know to be hard kickers.
Posted By: memtb Re: 300 Win Mag vs 300 Weatherby - 03/06/24
One’s a bit longer with a bit more velocity…..both are good cartridges. In rifles under 9 pounds….neither produce substantial recoil. The first time I shot a .300 Weatherby, a Win. Model 70 without a scope (pretty light) I expected bad recoil……it was a “pussycat”! But, that was from standing not from bench. memtb
I have five rifles in .300 Win. Mag. and while they kick a bit, I've not found them objectionable. Probably a case of no sense, thus no feeling. The rifles are a Winchester M70 with 26" barrel and four Ruger #1 rifles. Pet load runs the 200 gr. Speer Hot Core or 200 gr. Nosler partition. Does quite a number on elk.

I don't own a .300 Weatherby magnum for more than one reason. I have shot a few and can agree recoil can be a bit snappy. Probably my dislike is more personal than anything else. I just don't like the look of their rifles. Probably it's more like the beef between my father and godfather. Godfather was a lifelong Ford man and dad was anything but Ford. Seriously, a few times they came close to trading fists.

On the two mags I just say they're nice cartridges. Use the one you like best.
PJ
I hunt with a 300 Weatherby. I like what it does. I am not inclined to go out and buy the newest fad caliber rifle that might do some things better. I already have a stock of components for it.
I would feel the same about a 300 Win. if I had bought it first. The difference between them is slight.
recoil in the 300 Win, 300 Wby and even the 300 RUM is simply not that bad, grossly overstated by those who shoot dinky cartridges and are terrified of a slight bump on the shoulder and loud noises

recoil starts to be noticable with the 340 Wby and up from there

You will never make it to my moose camp with anything less than 300 Win / 300 WSM, have no use for wimpy dudes in my camp that are scared of any 30 caliber cartridge
I have both and shoot my hunting buddies' 300 Win mags often at the range and I've never felt recoil was abusive for either cartridge. The 300 WBY is in a Pre 64 Model 70, so stock design and weight may be a factor but I've shot them in Rem 700s, Savage, and a couple others and never really was bothered by the recoil from a bench. Even less so from free standing positions. We normally shoot 180s in our 300s for elk and never really noticed any difference when trying the 200 grain bullets.

I do have to admit that one of our hunting buddies had a 300 RUM for a while. That one was beginning to feel a bit uncomfortable, but still wasn't what I would call unpleasant unless you were up for shooting a bunch of ammo in a day.

I've always thought recoil is one of those things you can train yourself to handle for the most part, but then I hear guys complaining about the recoil of a 30-06 range of cartridges and I wonder what is up with that? There is definitely a limit, though- I don't wish to shoot a 378 Wby or 460 Wby any time soon again... a couple times with those was enough to cure me.
Posted By: Teal Re: 300 Win Mag vs 300 Weatherby - 03/06/24
Originally Posted by Swamplord
recoil in the 300 Win, 300 Wby and even the 300 RUM is simply not that bad, grossly overstated by those who shoot dinky cartridges and are terrified of a slight bump on the shoulder and loud noises

You will never make it to my moose camp with anything less than 300 Win / 300 WSM, have no use for wimpy dudes in my camp that are scared of any 30 caliber cartridge

I don't/didn't find the recoil bad. But on an ROI aspect - as in "I get X recoil for Y performance" - wasn't there for me.

And to think 458 Win is ok with hunters coming to Brown bear camp with a 30-06, I guess dem mooses is tougher than dem brownies!
I've had quite a few each(in 700's),along with 300 H&H and 300 Super(30-8mm RemMag). Hint.

Because bullets matter more than headstamps,the 300 Winny is a superior route,due COAL advantages,which grant opportunity to better projectiles. Hint.

Pass the 7mm RemMag,.796 BC 180's and hold The Fluff. Hint.................

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Having owned cartridges including 300 WM, 300 WSM, 338 WM and 375 H&H, I can say in my experience that I shoot better with cartridges that recoil less than the aforementioned case heads. Recently considering 308 mag choices, I settled on the 7mm PRC, long rang performance equal to or better than the WM and recoil more in line with the 7mm RM. I find mine a pleasure to shoot at the range which makes is even better in the field.

Considering the 30-06 has killed every animal in NA (J.Y. Jones: One Man, One Rifle, One Land, Rem 700 ADL in 30-06), you might even say the 7 PRC is overkill but I think it's just about right!
Posted By: hanco Re: 300 Win Mag vs 300 Weatherby - 03/06/24
I’ve had both, didn’t think they were bad as far as recoil was concerned. They both kill animals dead.
Originally Posted by Sheister
I have both and shoot my hunting buddies' 300 Win mags often at the range and I've never felt recoil was abusive for either cartridge. The 300 WBY is in a Pre 64 Model 70, so stock design and weight may be a factor but I've shot them in Rem 700s, Savage, and a couple others and never really was bothered by the recoil from a bench. Even less so from free standing positions. We normally shoot 180s in our 300s for elk and never really noticed any difference when trying the 200 grain bullets.

I do have to admit that one of our hunting buddies had a 300 RUM for a while. That one was beginning to feel a bit uncomfortable, but still wasn't what I would call unpleasant unless you were up for shooting a bunch of ammo in a day.

I've always thought recoil is one of those things you can train yourself to handle for the most part, but then I hear guys complaining about the recoil of a 30-06 range of cartridges and I wonder what is up with that? There is definitely a limit, though- I don't wish to shoot a 378 Wby or 460 Wby any time soon again... a couple times with those was enough to cure me.

My experience says stock fit and shooting position has a lot to do with "felt" recoil!
Depends on the gun - I've shot the 300 Win. Mag. out of an early 90's (I think) Weatherby rifle with a 26" barrel and their squishy recoil pads that was just butter to shoot - a really satisfying shove to the shoulder. I have also shot a 300 Weatherby out of a Germany-made Mk V with one of those pencil thin 24" tubes. That gun was disturbing to shoot - worse than my Ruger #1 in .338 Win. Mag.
I had all sort of mags at one time or another, but it struck me one day while hunting with one of my sons (I started all three of the with a Win 70 Compact in 250-3000 with Rem 100 PSP), he shot a deer and it just fell over, like most of the ten or so one-shot kills they made with that little rifle, maybe a 300 mag just wasn't necessary (I was using a 300 WSM at the time).
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I've had quite a few each(in 700's),along with 300 H&H and 300 Super(30-8mm RemMag). Hint.

Because bullets matter more than headstamps,the 300 Winny is a superior route,due COAL advantages,which grant opportunity to better projectiles. Hint.

Agreed, hang a 3.6+" mag box on a 300 Win and put good stuff up front and its no slouch at all.
Originally Posted by 257Bob

And to think 458 Win is ok with hunters coming to Brown bear camp with a 30-06, I guess that's Alaska for you...

Holy scidt. That is digging pretty deep. I'm pretty sure Phil cringes in that regard, but a 30-06 in his hands, loaded with 200 or 220gr partitions is good bear medicine. I haven't seen him post here in a while, but maybe he will state his true feelings on the matter.

I also like the 30-06 loaded with 200gr partitions. I've seen them penetrate elk, even at extreme angles. There's still a lot of utility in the 30-06 when you use the right bullets.

My 300WBY mag is a pre 64 model 70, that is built right. Weighs 7 pounds (without scope) and holds 4 in the mag box. My 300wm is a Ruger m77 mk2 stainless. I actually much prefer my Ruger m77 mk2 300RSAUM over that rifle. It is shorter, lighter, carries better, and is better balanced. The cartridge itself treads on the heels of the bigger 300wm. I also have a 308 Norma magnum, and really like that cartridge. I just sold my 300WSM Tikka to a buddy. That rifle was 7 pounds scoped, and shoots lights out. The 300 magnums add a little more horsepower for slightly extended ranges. They are also all peas in a pod, as far as I'm concerned.

Where you'll notice a difference, is when you stretch it out past 600 yards. Most animals are shot well within that distance, so the 30-06 works well for most hunters. Just how I see it though. That's keeping in mind, can you shoot that big magnum well enough to hit the boiler room past 600 yards. A lot of guys can't..
Posted By: CZ550 Re: 300 Win Mag vs 300 Weatherby - 03/06/24
Afte making .45-70s my goto rifles for bear and moose with stiff handloads, .300 mags were cream puffs. Then a .340 Wby became my moose rifle for the far north of our province (Ontario). My current favorite rifle is a Ruger No.1H TRopical in .458 Win Mag. Before that it was a Ruger No.1 in .45-70 with a long throat that thought it was a .458 Win, but two lbs lighter. The .458 Win will be my bear gun for this spring season. First time with factory loads: Federal TBBC 400gr at 2250 fps. Mild recoil of less than 40 ft-lbs.

I don't have my .300s anymore as I've gone to .35s, .36s and .375 H&H, plus the .458.

To me, when I had a total of six .300 Win Mags and a .300 Wby and a .308 Norma Mag, the .300 Win was my favorite - never fired a factory load in either the .300 Win or Wby, but liked the 200gr Partition at 3000 fps in each.

Just in case someone is wondering, I'm 88 and about 155 lbs out of the shower.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

There are surgeries out there these days to fix a micro penis. Might be something worth looking into.
I had a 300 wby put together years back. Primarily for elk hunting, and I hadn’t owned a 30 caliber magnum before. I don’t like longer barrels at all so I went with a 24” tube. It still launched 200 gr bullets at 3000 without going over max book charge.
Recoil not bad at all.
Killed several critters with it but just couldn’t like the 24” barrel. Got rid of it and went to a 338 win mag with a 22” barrel. Very happy with it.
The gun writer must have had a problem finding something to write about that week.
Ethiopia plays Somalia in soccer championship.
I guess everybody has their limit. I know a guy that sold his 25-06 because of recoil. His 6.5x55 is his limit. I don’t know how you could tell the difference. Maybe stock fit? IDK.

My 416 Rigby with 400 grain solids loaded to near Weatherby velocities shot ok, but three shots and I had a bad headache. It was no fun! Bye bye Rigby. My 338 Win Mag rifles shot ok with heavily loaded 250 grain bullets and was something I carried for 40+ maybe 50 years. When I bought the 300 Weatherby and using 200 grain partitions, I felt that I no longer needed the 338. I had 4each 338’s and I sold them all. The Weatherby seems to be a mild kicker in comparison to the 338. I have a 375 H&H AI that even with heavy loads seems ok, recoil wise. I had a couple 7mm RM’s. The 77 was brutal to my cheek the 700 was a piece of cake. After putting a B&C stock on the 77, it was a piece of cake. “Stock Fit!!!”
OK, I had a 350 RM 600 Remington that I only shot heavy loads 250 grain. I had that since the 60’s. I noticed I didn’t shoot that much anymore and it became clear/easy to understand why. That rifle wasn’t much heavier than some revolvers coming out lately.

I’m getting long in the tooth, bursitis and arthritis - I have plenty. But in a good fitting rifle the 300’s don’t seem much different than a 30-06 to me.

The author of the article I referred to, claimed heavy recoil for the Weatherby, but no mention really for the Win… I’m left wondering if it was the guy’s imagination or stock fit or something else. I just don’t notice a difference.

I see most of you guys either are OK with 300 Magnums or not OK with 300 Magnums. That’s fine with me. But I’m pretty certain the Weatherby got a bad rap(so to speak) due to the Weatherby rifles with their skinny barrels. I’m pretty hooked on the Remington 700 Weatherby but I like the Winchester too.
Posted By: Sam_H Re: 300 Win Mag vs 300 Weatherby - 03/06/24
Had several in both flavors. Still have a couple 700s in Roy, a KSS in Win. Don't see a noticeable difference given identical bullet weights, ie., apples to apples.

24" Roys will push a 200 gr NP to 2975 fps. That's right there is the starting gate of what bothers me. A .338 with 250s bothers me more. With 180s, 165s, 150s could shoot them all day, if was inclined to fry a barrel.

The .300 Wins have generally been slightly more accurate with Pb-cores, but the difference disappears with monos.
As an aside I’ve had 2 late 1970s Remington 700 ADLs in 30-06 and with 165 gr. Bullets turning mid 2900s they were a way more violent recoil than my 300 Winchester with 180s. Gun weight and stock design are contributing factors.

There are surgeries out there these days to fix a micro penis. Might be something worth looking into.

Hey, it's 2024 ! You want pecker surgery , go for it , but I think what you really need is a set of balls

In the meantime, here's the ammo you should shoot that won't scare you and put a rash on your gash

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
See prairie goat’s responses. That’s all you need to know.
Been using one or the other since mid ‘80s. Recoil has never been an issue for me and in a properly weighted rifle with a good stock they’ve been very effective on all types of game world wide. IMO, one or the other is the single best cartridge for non dangerous game hunted anywhere.
Having had them all,along with a 30-378(Sako),the 7mm RemMag is an easy choice. Hint.

Just sayin'..............
Having had them all,along with a 30-378(Sako),the 7mm RemMag is an easy choice. Hint.

Even I can agree with this
1000 words. Hint.

Just sayin'..................
Posted By: SKane Re: 300 Win Mag vs 300 Weatherby - 03/06/24

Well, that's probably best anyway as most of us would rather have a bowling ball dropped on our tongue than sit around Camp Cro-Magnon, chewing on tinfoil for dinner and rochambeau'ing one-another afterward.

+1000
Posted By: EdM Re: 300 Win Mag vs 300 Weatherby - 03/07/24
Originally Posted by SKane

Well, that's probably best anyway as most of us would rather have a bowling ball dropped on our tongue than sit around Camp Cro-Magnon, chewing on tinfoil for dinner and rochambeau'ing one-another afterward.

Well done.
Posted By: memtb Re: 300 Win Mag vs 300 Weatherby - 03/07/24

I approve this message! 👍 😁 memtb
Very much in agreement!

Some of these guys must’ve learned to shoot at “band camp”! 😉😂 memtb
And, with today’s medical technology…..they can attach a penis to replace a pu$$¥! 😂 memtb
Originally Posted by beretzs

Agreed, hang a 3.6+" mag box on a 300 Win and put good stuff up front and its no slouch at all.

+2. Have one. 200 grain Terminal Ascent with a .608/.304 G1/G7 BC at 2980 fps I have zero complaints. Perhaps a 7mm barrel replacement someday but for now I’m content. Good recoil pad and good stock geometry makes for good behavior too.
Once we get into recoil statements, the stock design doesn't get enough examination or inclusion in the discussion.

If a guy uses a standard classic design stock with minimal drop at heal and then shoots a Mark V stock design, it will be different and not what he is used to and vise versa. No surprise here, except it is too often not stated within the article or the commentary.

I don't think you can categorize a stock shape either, though I have read it before relating to suitability of a particular design to various human shapes. (Referring to men here) I can shoot classic style rifles well and many of my rifles are Winchester Featherweights or similar design, but the instant I pick up a Mark V, I am tailored to the stock. Get the same feel from the old Sako Finnbear design. They fit me better to a very obvious degree when shouldered.

All riflemen need to try this as it is a compromise to buy what looks pretty or popular, when you are more important to the equation.

That's where I am. Only owned the WM tho. It's just not enough "more" over a 30-06 to put up with it.
Ditto. The .300WM I had in a M70 beat the chit outta me.. After a magazine or two downrange, I was switching to a .22rf... laugh
I have both. The win. is the first one I started with and I still have it an use it. I like the Wea. also, just haven't used it as much. When I am serious about hunting I pick one of these. Sad, the kick too hard for some folks. But then maybe that is a blessing.
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I have both. The win. is the first one I started with and I still have it an use it. I like the Wea. also, just haven't used it as much. When I am serious about hunting I pick one of these. Sad, the kick too hard for some folks. But then maybe that is a blessing.

Cite some particulars of said pieces of fhuqking schit,mainly because it WILL be funnier than fhuqk. Hint..................
I just bought into the Weatherby fan club (6.5-300, 300, and 340). The main reasons I did was because brass is very easy to find in todays market and Weatherby does a good job keeping us lefty in rifles. If you do some searching you can find brass for just under $2 a case.
Weatherby(Norma) brass is fhuqking horrible schit. Hint.

Bullets matter wayyyyy more than headstamps. Hint..............
Originally Posted by Redneck

Ditto. The .300WM I had in a M70 beat the chit outta me.. After a magazine or two downrange, I was switching to a .22rf... laugh

I hate recoil & muzzle blast more than most. Still, I think the package matters greatly.

This place wore me down such that I decided to try a Kimber 8400 in .300 WM that seemed to be goin' too cheap. I figured I could play around with it a bit, satisfy my curiosity, & move it along without losing my shorts in the process.

As it turns out, that rifle fits me so well that it feels to have less recoil than the '06's I've had. I settled on 165 TTSX's: Recoil with that pill is tolerable, and 3,200 fps makes them fly flat enough for anything I'll ever point them at. I figure there's not a lot that 180-200 gr bullets would do at the distances I'll shoot, that the 165's don't.

One man's sample of n=1.

FC
I still really like a 300WinMag. Pre-LRF I was 100% POSITIVE I needed the 300Win for anything bigger than coyotes. While I've certainly backed off that, I still use my 300 for elk and I'd likely carry it for Moose were I to hunt them again.

I've killed a couple elk w/270Win (and 1 w/257Wby) and watched a few die via the same sitting next to hunting buddies as well as a couple who used the 280AI. All of them died in fairly short order. That said, the response of shot elk, in particular, I've witnessed killing a dozen elk myself w/300Win and 200gn either NP or TSX, several buddies using same, and another buddy who shoots a 338WinMag w/210 NP and now TTSX is that those wider (.308+ diameter) bullets produced a more significant response to being hit.

300Win w/200's above 2900fps is about as much recoil as I can manage without having to think hard about form, trigger-pull, and follow-through. Meaning I'll flop down any old place and shoot my 300 @ about any angle, including pointing uphill rolled-up behind the rifle and not worry about bonking my eye-brow. More recoil than the 300 w/200's and I'll take significantly more time and care getting things right to keep the scope off my brow.
You I've owned all the 300 magnums save the 30-378 and my main hunting rifle is a 300 Ultra. However for the last few years I have watched my son rock critters from antelope to elk with a 7mm-08 and I am thinking that's about all a guy needs for an all around rifle.
It's funny guys think you need a cannon for moose. IME they are not tough to kill at all. When I lived in NW Ontario I knew a guy who was an excellent and well accomplished moose hunter. He started his career with a 303, then used a 7mm bee followed by 257 bee and finally a 7mm-08.
Originally Posted by horse1
300Win w/200's above 2900fps is about as much recoil as I can manage without having to think hard about form, trigger-pull, and follow-through. Meaning I'll flop down any old place and shoot my 300 @ about any angle, including pointing uphill rolled-up behind the rifle and not worry about bonking my eye-brow. More recoil than the 300 w/200's and I'll take significantly more time and care getting things right to keep the scope off my brow.

This is a really good point and brings up something I’d like to touch on.

In decades of seeing hunters come through camp, and at minimum dozens if not more 300 mag shooters, I’ve been around not more than a handful of individuals who could shoot 300 mags effectively like you mentioned.

Sure, lots of other 300 mag shooters were able to kill animals, but there’s a big difference between the guy dicking around for minutes trying to achieve the proper shooting position so he won’t get scoped and the guy who flops down and puts effective rounds on target in seconds. Additional recoil over that 20ish lb mark, which seems to be the barrier for a lot of folks, makes quick targeting all the more difficult.

More than once, especially when it came to wise, trophy sized, older animals, the guys who could get in position quickly to get off a shot had a chance to kill, while the guys who took forever watched a big set of antlers disappear over the ridge.
I worked with a guy that built a 50 BMG on a magnum Mauser action. He shot it just fine with full-power 750 grain bullets. He also ordered a 460 Weatherby without a muzzle break. Those were his two favorite rifles. He “really” needed the power as his hobby was shooting rocks off hand. I don’t think he hunts anything, just shoots those two rifles.

Another guy I know, only had one rifle. It was a Rigby cartridge on a Dakota rifle. He only shot factory ammo. He never hunted, but he loved shooting that rifle.

A friend bought a 338 Win Mag from me because he drew an elk tag in the Black Hills. His teen age daughter used it on white-tail using my handloads with 250 grain partitions. She used it for maybe ten years. She asked me if there were any rifles she could use on deer that recoiled less. I sold her a 270 700 BDL. She shot the 338 very well though.

Then there’s my friend who sold his 25-06 because of too much recoil.

I’m not sure why some people can shoot their NE or big Weatherby’s without complaint.
I have and have hunted with both for decades. When loaded to similar pressures out of similar length barrels, and with adequate magazine length to seat bullets out far enough, I don’t think there is more than a 50-75fps difference. For handloading, I’ve always found it easier to find accuracy without the WBY freebore. That’s not to say the weatherbys don’t shoot superbly with ammo they like. Indeed, I have two that will clover leaf with certain factory ammo.

Recoil wise, in similar weight and similarly stocked rifles, recoil difference is inconsequential. That’s not to say recoil doesn’t matter…. A couple decades ago, I looked forward to the mental gymnastics associated with shooting heavy recoiling guns into tiny groups. At age 61, I tolerate it….kind of like going to the dentist. Damn things seem to kick more than they used to…..:(. I will say I’ve never regretted selling a 30-378.
I’ve owned both as a younger man, but I’m older now and no longer care for the recoil. My biggest kicker now is a 30-06 and as soon as one of my grandsons grows a little, he gets it. I’ll use a 270win till my hunting days end.
i prefer the Weatherby. The.300 Win mag has some design features I don't care for. I have shot one quite bit and find them finicky to load for. I owned two .308 Norma mags until I gave them to grandsons. I much prefer them.

I bought an XTR M70 PF in .300 Weatherby to replace the Normas . I put it in a Tupperware stock. It shoots very well with my preferred 200 grain loads.

Truthfully, I don'tshoot .300 mags much. I prefer my '06s and .338Win Mag foruse in Oregon. The Weathery will go to Wyoming.
Weatherby(Norma) brass is fhuqking horrible schit. Hint.

Bullets matter wayyyyy more than headstamps. Hint..............

Have to agree on this.
I have been shooting the 300WM for several decades, most of the time with Federal Gold Medal brass purchased way back in the day. it was much better than the Win or Rem brass of the time
tried some Norma brass and quite quickly went back to the old Federal........then just a few years ago Lapua finally started making 300WM brass, a game changer !!!!! Fhuqk the 300Wby
y'all can't use the "crap brass" excuse anymore

300 WBY Peterson brass

Posted By: Sam_H Re: 300 Win Mag vs 300 Weatherby - 03/08/24
Interesting re WBY brass quality.

My father purchased several boxes of .300 WBY factory empties (Norma) around 1969-70. Dad's gone, but still have most of the brass. Most has never been loaded because I worked off a single box, partial sizing. The "busier" of two 700s has between 200-250 rds total lifetime. No, I don't punch alot of paper with .300s....any flavor. The .300s kill stuff. The annual zeroing check was most always a single round landing 12:00 2" high, where I wanted it. For many years didn't even bother to check.

Anyway, the only attrition from that single box has been from losses in the field. Usually pick up the empty before tagging the animal. Every case still in that box has been loaded 12-15 times with no case inspection fails.

Some credit goes to those 700s. The Wilson gauge sez shoulders aren't moving much in either. Really like that. Dad's Mk5 is another matter.

More recently started using RP brass to work up 200 gr NP and 150 gr TTSX loads. Stuff seems well made, no attrition yet. The difference in case capacity vs WBY brass is impressive.
I bought a Colt Coltsman in 300 H&H that someone had rechambered to 300 Weatherby, it was a little too much for me so I had it rebarreled to 300 H&H...one of my favorite guns
My 300Win is using RWS brass @ present. A buddy bought 1K RWS 300Win Mag cases ~15yrs back and I've nibbled a few hundred out of his stash. I can't imagine needing more, but, if I ever do I suspect I'll nab Lapua.
Originally Posted by horse1

This is a really good point and brings up something I’d like to touch on.

In decades of seeing hunters come through camp, and at minimum dozens if not more 300 mag shooters, I’ve been around not more than a handful of individuals who could shoot 300 mags effectively like you mentioned.

Sure, lots of other 300 mag shooters were able to kill animals, but there’s a big difference between the guy dicking around for minutes trying to achieve the proper shooting position so he won’t get scoped and the guy who flops down and puts effective rounds on target in seconds. Additional recoil over that 20ish lb mark, which seems to be the barrier for a lot of folks, makes quick targeting all the more difficult.

More than once, especially when it came to wise, trophy sized, older animals, the guys who could get in position quickly to get off a shot had a chance to kill, while the guys who took forever watched a big set of antlers disappear over the ridge.

The 300 Winchester is a great chambering.

People who can’t shoot, can’t shoot

Won National Matches with it and the 230 Berger OTM

870 yards with the 208 A-Max

840 yards with the 230 Berger

1825 yards with the 230 Berger
I have felt considerable antipathy toward the 300 Win Mag from the time it was offered and chosen by many companies as the 30 cal. of choice; over my beloved 308 Norma Mag. I thought the short neck was stupid and the cartridge was a poor fit in the standard magazine. I still dislike the cartridge. Just prejudice, I guess.
I have chambered most of them at some point. The WSM, 300 H&H, 30-338, 308 Norma, 30 Newton, 300 Win Mag, 300 Weatherby, 30 STW, 300 RUM. I have not chambered a 300 PRC, but the Newton is about the same thing and predates it by about 110 years. I still have an affection for the 308 Norma. I shot my first one in 1964.
Ultimately, there is not a huge difference between most of them. They push 180s at speeds from 3000 to 3200 fps. Some fit in magazines better. Between the 300 Win and 300 Weatherby, the difference is very slight. Given the same mag length, the Weatherby gets throated shorter and the bullet is seated to the bottom of the neck. The 300 Win Mag gets a longer throat, and the bullet gets seated to the base of the neck. The oal is shorter in the Winchester, if that's important to you. If I was forced to make the choice, I would say the Winchester might shoot a little better. The weatherby will probably get you an extra 60 fps at the same pressure levels. Both are going to kick a little. Like the little guy says, headstamps don't matter much, or something like that. GD
I load for both & like the Weatherby better, although 6 of one 1/2 a dozen of another as far as killing goes. For deer they aren’t necessary but hard to beat their performance on elk at 300+ yards & close up too,
300 Win mag to 300 Weatherby is like the 308 to the 30-06. You can approach the ballistics of one with the other, but if you hot rod the Weatherby or shoot factory Weatherby ammunition, it still beats the 300 Winchester magnum.

The 300 Weatherby seems to hit the perfect balance of ballistics and recoil in the 300 magnum lineup…
I have to laugh when people say stuff about a cartridge like "it is only 100 fps faster".

Sure, maybe the 300 Wby is only 100 fps faster than the 300 Win Mag
Maybe the 300 Win Mag is only 100 fps faster than the 30-06
Or the 30-06 might be 100 fps faster than the .308
Then the .308 is a 100 fps faster than the 300 Savage.

You get the idea of what I am saying......

Or, you can load the 300 Wby to a slightly lower pressure and end up at the same velocity as the 300 Win Mag. This could result in longer brass life if that interests you

The debate could continue forever. No right or wrong answers. Pick the one you enjoy and have confidence with.
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
I have to laugh when people say stuff about a cartridge like "it is only 100 fps faster".

Or, you can load the 300 Wby to a slightly lower pressure and end up at the same velocity as the 300 Win Mag. This could result in longer brass life if that interests you

The debate could continue forever. No right or wrong answers. Pick the one you enjoy and have confidence with.

The same fktards that say "it's only 100-150 fps faster" & it's not worth the squeeze

are the same fktards that fill up the forum pages on how great the creeds and prc's are , proven pieces of sheet that never improved velocity over anything in existence in the last 1000 years
Posted By: GF1 Re: 300 Win Mag vs 300 Weatherby - 03/10/24
I’ll take the .300 Weatherby over the .300 Winchester every day and twice on Sunday. Higher velocity, longer neck for better grip on bullets, and mine have been quite accurate. And a Weatherby will cleanup a Winchester chamber.
Originally Posted by GF1
I’ll take the .300 Weatherby over the .300 Winchester every day and twice on Sunday. Higher velocity, longer neck for better grip on bullets, and mine have been quite accurate. And a Weatherby will cleanup a Winchester chamber.

I don’t believe all 300 Win Mag actions will accommodate the Weatherby case though. I know my Nosler will as it’s a magnum length action that they use for the 375 H&H. And it’s a damn tempting idea. Thinking when I wear out the current barrel I’m going to screw on a 7mm magnum of some sort on it. Keeping my eye on how the PRC pans out.
Posted By: Fotis Re: 300 Win Mag vs 300 Weatherby - 03/12/24

Nothing wrong with the 7 maggie or the PRC for that matter.

The same fktards that say "it's only 100-150 fps faster" & it's not worth the squeeze

are the same fktards that fill up the forum pages on how great the creeds and prc's are , proven pieces of sheet that never improved velocity over anything in existence in the last 1000 years
I don't think extra velocity is why the Creedmoor or PRC came about.
Posted By: szihn Re: 300 Win Mag vs 300 Weatherby - 03/12/24
I have owned both, hunted with both and killed a respectable number of game with both.
The Weatherby can be driven a bit faster. But on game and in the field I see no difference. In my 2 examples side by side the Winchester Mag was more accurate, but again not to a point it truly mattered. Both will fail you if you use bullets that don't pernitrate well, and both work to an excellent degree if you use good bullets that hold together.
Many complain about the kick of the Weatherby, (more then the Winchester) but it may be more related to stock design. My Weatherby MkV had a custom stock on it and was similar in shape and drops to the one on my M70 Winchester. So I could not tell much difference at all. But comparing 2 cartridges in 2 rifles and comparing the felt recoil when the 2 stocks are radically different makes no sense. My 2 were stocks nearly alike and firing them side by side I could feel a tiny bit more kick from the 300 Weatherby, but so little more as to me insignificant.

As a side note I own neither now. In the mix, in the past, I have also owned two 308 Norma Mags, three 300 H&H mags and one 30/378 mag.
As of now I own only 1 300 H&H and I've sold all the other 300 mags. Nothing wrong with them at all, but not enough "righter" with any of them to get me to see real advantages over my 30-06. I did keep my Mauser in 300H&H not because it's a 300, but because it's a classic Mauser and I just like that rifle. I use it with 200 grain Nosler Partitions and everything I shoot with it rolls over dead, so I have nothing to complain about.
Posted By: SKane Re: 300 Win Mag vs 300 Weatherby - 03/12/24
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

I don't think extra velocity is why the Creedmoor or PRC came about.

Swamplord isn't very bright but he gets a rock-solid A+ for consistency.
I’ll throw a monkey wrench into the conversation. 300WSM and 300WM factory 200gr Federal Terminal Ascents state 2810fps on the box. Turns out, that’s out of a 22” barrel. Guys I know are cronographing them at just over 2900fps+ with 24” barrels, and close to 3000fps with 26” barrels. I currently own a semi custom Kimber Classic in 300WSM and a Weatherby Mark V Deluxe in 300WBY. Yes, the WBY is about 100fps faster, but that’s minimal. IMO, the fact that the 300WSM is a short case, and they can be built around smaller guns, just makes them so much nicer to carry in the field than the WBY.
Ignoring barrel length: the Weatherby has about 6% greater case capacity should be (1.015 x faster). Shooting 180 grain bullets using loads with the Win at 2960 * 1.015 = Weatherby at 3,156 or almost 200 FPS difference loaded to same pressure and with same barrel length.

Years ago there was soft brass issues with Weatherby’s brass, both the 340 Weatherby and the 300 Weatherby (maybe others?). The 338 Win and the 340 Weatherby had similar velocities in tests. So did the 300 Weatherby and the 300 Winchester. If you look at some load data by some sources such as Nosler, you’ll see that the 300’s are about equal in velocity. It makes me believe that Nosler has not tested the 300 Weatherby since those days with the soft bass. If you look at data from other sources you’ll find that the Weatherby will often get more than 200 fps maybe 300 FPS over the Winchester - 2” longer barrel.

My 300 Weatherby and my 300 Winchester are 700’s. I put a BDL stock on the Weatherby. Now both stocks are BDL stocks. I honestly can’t tell the difference in recoil when both are loaded with 200 grain bullets. My cousin who safaris a bit complains about the 300 Weatherby’s recoil, but he has only shot a rifle by Weatherby with a pencil thin barrel. He shot my 416 Rigby without complaint…

I’m not much on long range shooting. But one place I hunt elk, West of Laramie, WY the ranges I have seen elk maybe 100 or maybe 400+ yards. The wind could be dead quiet or “windy”. The mountains there can be rugged. If I shoot an elk in those mountains I’d really hope that the elk doesn’t run down a ravine. Bullet POI being important probably more than energy etc., the bullet leaving 200 fps will drop less and be less affected by wind. And yes, I’d be holding high shoulder rather than the normal heart-lung area. I want complete penetration even with less than perfect shooting angle.

Ok, I’ve hunted elk successfully with 308, 270 & 280 mostly at closer range. Always with fairly perfect side shots. Is the Weatherby needed to kill elk. I don’t think so, but in the scenario regarding elk hunting in mountains with all the variables and the steep ravines…

My 300 Winchester shoots 7 or 8 loads under 1 MOA. I stopped working on loads with the Weatherby when I shot 3 each, 5 shot groups at .6MOA - 200 grain partitions and and full load of RE26. Then I read RE26 is temperature sensitive - back to the shooting bench.
One thing I haven’t seen mentioned in this thread, or any other of these hair splitting velocity threads recently is that for a given bullet at X velocity vs Y velocity, that velocity gap closes the further downrange you get. You may start out 100 FPS faster from the Wby, but it may only be 50 FPS faster at 300 yards, depending on particulars.

All at the expense of more recoil, muzzle blast and powder. I believe (not 100% sure and I don’t feel like crunching the numbers to confirm) that the lower the B/C and the larger the initial velocity gap is, the faster that velocity gap closes.

There is a reason so many hardcore long range shooters have migrated to more mild rounds and higher B/C bullets.

I am just a hunter and don’t geek out on this stuff but find it amusing and interesting, to a point.
Originally Posted by jetjockey
I’ll throw a monkey wrench into the conversation. 300WSM and 300WM factory 200gr Federal Terminal Ascents state 2810fps on the box. Turns out, that’s out of a 22” barrel. Guys I know are cronographing them at just over 2900fps+ with 24” barrels, and close to 3000fps with 26” barrels. I currently own a semi custom Kimber Classic in 300WSM and a Weatherby Mark V Deluxe in 300WBY. Yes, the WBY is about 100fps faster, but that’s minimal. IMO, the fact that the 300WSM is a short case, and they can be built around smaller guns, just makes them so much nicer to carry in the field than the WBY.

There is something wrong with either your chrono or the Weatherby. I own three of them and with factory or my handloads (189gr) i attain the published velocity of 3250 FPS. That in my view IS significant.
Originally Posted by T_Inman
One thing I haven’t seen mentioned in this thread, or any other of these hair splitting velocity threads recently is that for a given bullet at X velocity vs Y velocity, that velocity gap closes the further downrange you get. You may start out 100 FPS faster from the Wby, but it may only be 50 FPS faster at 300 yards, depending on particulars.

All at the expense of more recoil, muzzle blast and powder. I believe (not 100% sure and I don’t feel like crunching the numbers to confirm) that the lower the B/C and the larger the initial velocity gap is, the faster that velocity gap closes.

There is a reason so many hardcore long range shooters have migrated to more mild rounds and higher B/C bullets.

I am just a hunter and don’t geek out on this stuff but find it amusing and interesting, to a point.
Or take a 300 Winchester that has a fast barrel and a 300 Weatherby that has a slow barrel and the window becomes even smaller.
My long action .300 Wby Vanguard with it's 24" barrel is exactly the same overall length as my short action .223 Wby Vanguard with it's 24" barrel. My so far everything from Canadian moose down to 25 lb African steenbok antelope load with 180 gr Barnes TTSX bullets chronograph at 3242 fps with no signs of over pressure.

Or take a 300 Winchester that has a fast barrel and a 300 Weatherby that has a slow barrel and the window becomes even smaller.

Twist affects velocity? Can you explain that?
Is it because it takes more pressure to spin a given bullet faster, and more pressure equals more velocity?

Like I said, I don’t geek out in this.

Twist affects velocity? Can you explain that?
Is it because it takes more pressure to spin a given bullet faster, and more pressure equals more velocity?

Like I said, I don’t geek out in this.
Not twist. Just a slow barrel vs fast.
Ahhh….gotcha.
Originally Posted by jorgeI

There is something wrong with either your chrono or the Weatherby. I own three of them and with factory or my handloads (189gr) i attain the published velocity of 3250 FPS. That in my view IS significant.

Obviously handloaders can twist and turn and squeak the velocities up more, but, the point is, even if there is 200fps difference, that’s not much. For instance, Federal loads the 180gr Trophy Tip at 2960 for the WSM and 3100 for the WBY (both 24” barrels.) That’s apples to apples, and only 140fps difference. Choice Ammo loads the 200gr Accubond at 2835fps and the 300WBY at 3020fps, or 185fps difference. At 500+ yards, those numbers get closer and closer. At 700, I believe there’s only about 100fps difference. Now, not comparing apples to apples, if what I’m hearing that the 300WSM 200gr Terminal Ascents are 2810fps with a 22” barrel, and around 100fps faster with a 24, that puts them even closer yet. Now, aim not saying a 300wsm is a 300WBY, but they aren’t as far apart as people believe.
Posted By: WAM Re: 300 Win Mag vs 300 Weatherby - 03/12/24
Originally Posted by shrapnel
300 Win mag to 300 Weatherby is like the 308 to the 30-06. You can approach the ballistics of one with the other, but if you hot rod the Weatherby or shoot factory Weatherby ammunition, it still beats the 300 Winchester magnum.

The 300 Weatherby seems to hit the perfect balance of ballistics and recoil in the 300 magnum lineup…

I could not agree more. I love my .300 Bee, 7mm Bee, and 6.5-300 Bee. Also love my Mk V LW .30-06, whose recoil is a bit snappy for the mangina crowd.
Just because a person prefers lighter recoil doesn’t mean they can’t handle higher recoil. I’ve fired plenty of .378 Wby class rounds up to .50 Cals, without issue. I primarily elk hunted with a .340 Wby for several years and also took bears and caribou with it without a problem. I just saw zero gain to it as opposed to more mainstream rounds, even with Wally World special bullets.

That doesn’t mean I prefer heavy recoil, especially for the small gain in velocity you (might) get. I do appreciate being able to recover from the recoil faster as well as using less powder, especially with powder prices.

Signed: the TInman, from the mangina crowd.
Originally Posted by Bugger
Ignoring barrel length: the Weatherby has about 6% greater case capacity should be (1.015 x faster). Shooting 180 grain bullets using loads with the Win at 2960 * 1.015 = Weatherby at 3,156 or almost 200 FPS difference loaded to same pressure and with same barrel length.

2,960*1.015=3,004 or 44fps faster.

Far from almost 200.
Posted By: SLM Re: 300 Win Mag vs 300 Weatherby - 03/12/24
Just because a person prefers lighter recoil doesn’t mean they can’t handle higher recoil. I’ve fired plenty of .378 Wby class rounds up to .50 Cals, without issue. I primarily elk hunted with a .340 Wby for several years and also took bears and caribou with it without a problem. I just saw zero gain to it as opposed to more mainstream rounds, even with Wally World special bullets.

That doesn’t mean I prefer heavy recoil, especially for the small gain in velocity you (might) get. I do appreciate being able to recover from the recoil faster as well as using less powder, especially with powder prices.

Signed: the TInman, from the mangina crowd.

Firmly in the mangina crowd as well.
You’re ‘firmly’ in the mangina?

I knew it….my gut feeling was right about you.

Where’s SECURITY????
Posted By: SLM Re: 300 Win Mag vs 300 Weatherby - 03/12/24
You are starting to look pretty good.

Keep the sex change progress pics coming, the hormone treatments are starting to work.
Originally Posted by SLM

Keep the sex change progress pics coming, the hormone treatments are starting to work.
I thought Tinman was the main most high up of the Mangina crowd.
John Wayne hunted with a 300wby and I doubt he complained about recoil be a man.
Originally Posted by SLM

I thought Tinman was the main most high up of the Mangina crowd.

I rule that demographic.
Bow to your Sensei,
Bitch!

I guess I could follow 24 Hour Campfire logic and post 4-5 pics of 25 year old mid sized critters killed via WBY MAG to prove I have a sac, but I don’t feel like digging those old 35mm pics out and scanning them.

They work, but are about like driving a semi to the grocery store to ‘be a man’.
T Inman;
Good morning my cyber friend, I hope the day in your part of the world is breaking bright and fair and that you're well.

Thanks for your input on the thread, I appreciate you taking the time.

My experience is predominantly with deer/bear/sheep sized animals and I do my level best to emphasize that always as I don't know how much that differs from larger animals.

For us and I'm guessing perhaps yourself as well, when we began processing our own game meat, then helping family and friends to theirs here, it was eye opening to see the results of different bullet weights and types in terms of tissue damage.

As you and others here know about me, I'm a fairly firm believer that twist or better said bullet rpm will also play a role, so a fast twist .300 Win that gives higher initial projectile rpm than a slow twist .300 Weatherby with lower projectile rpm will yield different results in tissue damage, certainly more with some bullet construction types than others, but likely noticeable.

When my .308 Norma was a .338 Win and something like 3 mulie bucks and 3 black bears got perforated with it, I really didn't see any difference in tissue damage or animal reaction being hit between it and an '06.

Further down that thought path T, when we were evacuating for one of the neighborhood wildfires, I recall saying to my good wife that if the place burned, I'd not build another "magnum" rifle as the recoil vs results weren't worth it for me.

That said T, I still hunt with the .308 Norma all these years later because the place didn't burn down and it's become a wee bit of a "lucky" rifle somehow.

Oh and yes, I realize that there's no such thing as "luck" and that superstition is silly - nonetheless, here I am... laugh

All the best to you my friend.

Dwayne
[quote=SLM]You are starting to look pretty good.

They work, but are about like driving a semi to the grocery store to ‘ be a man’.
This is pretty much how I look at it, using a sledge hammer to drive a trim nail.

A bit of a different deal but this is part of the reason I got rid of my 10 gauges. Still using the same shot size in smaller gauges but I am not packing a 10# shotgun and getting my brain scrambled every time I pull the trigger.
Originally Posted by BC30cal
T Inman;
Good morning my cyber friend, I hope the day in your part of the world is breaking bright and fair and that you're well.

Thanks for your input on the thread, I appreciate you taking the time.

My experience is predominantly with deer/bear/sheep sized animals and I do my level best to emphasize that always as I don't know how much that differs from larger animals.

For us and I'm guessing perhaps yourself as well, when we began processing our own game meat, then helping family and friends to theirs here, it was eye opening to see the results of different bullet weights and types in terms of tissue damage.

As you and others here know about me, I'm a fairly firm believer that twist or better said bullet rpm will also play a role, so a fast twist .300 Win that gives higher initial projectile rpm than a slow twist .300 Weatherby with lower projectile rpm will yield different results in tissue damage, certainly more with some bullet construction types than others, but likely noticeable.

When my .308 Norma was a .338 Win and something like 3 mulie bucks and 3 black bears got perforated with it, I really didn't see any difference in tissue damage or animal reaction being hit between it and an '06.

Further down that thought path T, when we were evacuating for one of the neighborhood wildfires, I recall saying to my good wife that if the place burned, I'd not build another "magnum" rifle as the recoil vs results weren't worth it for me.

That said T, I still hunt with the .308 Norma all these years later because the place didn't burn down and it's become a wee bit of a "lucky" rifle somehow.

Oh and yes, I realize that there's no such thing as "luck" and that superstition is silly - nonetheless, here I am... laugh

All the best to you my friend.

Dwayne

U da man Dwayne….like usual.
I too have noticed how twist and/or rotational velocity has an effect on how badly a critter is tore up. The effect seems more pronounced with lightly constructed bullets but I have seen indications of such with bonded bullets too. It is a real phenomena.

I still have and do sometimes hunt with a magnum (.375 H&H as well as a few others) but I generally just don’t see the advantage anymore. Big bears in the willows could be a possible exception. I did take an ancient griz boar in 2022 with a .300 Win Mag with 180 CoreLokts and as expected, it worked just fine. I wasn’t afraid of the recoil at all. It just isn’t my style anymore…

You take care down there.
[quote=SLM]You are starting to look pretty good.

They work, but are about like driving a semi to the grocery store to ‘ be a man’.
This is pretty much how I look at it, using a sledge hammer to drive a trim nail.

A bit of a different deal but this is part of the reason I got rid of my 10 gauges. Still using the same shot size in smaller gauges but I am not packing a 10# shotgun and getting my brain scrambled every time I pull the trigger.

I sold my BPS 10 gauge several years ago for that exact reason.

I have taken 6-8 turkeys via 20 gauge and (gasp) normal pheasant loads since then. I don’t even know what choke I use, but it isn’t a special ‘turkey choke’ at all. I won’t recommend #8 dove loads for turkeys, but a decent weight of #6 shot has been just fine, out to 50 yards easily.

I rarely hunt waterfowl anymore, but don’t miss that 10 gauge there either. I had magnumitus badly in my teens but by 30 or so, it seriously waned.
Mine was my HS graduation present from the family. My best friends boy was wanting a 1 or 2 years or so ago, probably 21 at the time. I was on the phone with my buddy when the kid said something, told him to drive his ass to my house and he could have my BPS.

About 100 rounds of turkey loads and a few hundred steel loads. Factory chokes and 2 or 3 turkey tubes.

He hasn't killed anything but coons with it but likes it.

I hope it serves him as well as it served me but I haven't missed it one bit.
Posted By: Fotis Re: 300 Win Mag vs 300 Weatherby - 03/13/24
Originally Posted by jorgeI

True Dat!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

From a deluxe 26" tube MK V

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by Oldagpilot
John Wayne hunted with a 300wby and I doubt he complained about recoil be a man.
If it takes hunting with a 300 Weatherby to be considered a man, I'll gladly consider myself a member of the mangina clan.
It’s a joke everyone is so sensitive I’ve got one never shoot it thing kicks like a mule I use a 270 most of the time.
I get a solid 2980 fps average with the 200 grain Terminal Ascent out of my Nosler M21 24”. They wear a Shilen premium barrel. That was with a less than max load of RL26. I jugged one and it blew through seven one gallon jugs, retained an even 175 grains of weight and expanded to.708” diameter. I have yet to kill anything with it but I’m thinking it might work OK.
However, whatever a 300 Win Mag can do a Weatherby can do faster. That’s the whole point of Roy Weatherby’s artistry and when calculating energy velocity is squared.

KE= 0.5 x m x v2
© 24hourcampfire