Home
Posted By: predmaster223 6.5 gap vs prc - 03/21/24
I have everything to build a 6.5 gap 4s including reamer and 100 brass. I'm debating on selling the reamer and brass and going with prc. The prc looks like it will stay around while the 6.5 gap seems to be fading. I like the minimal gains produced by the gap but not sure if it would be worth the hassle of finding brass. I bought the reamer and brass years ago when the gap was new. If I was buying today I'd probably just go prc for simplicity. It'll be a sporter weight hunting rifle. Opinions?
Posted By: Deere_Man Re: 6.5 gap vs prc - 03/21/24
If you can reload, doesn’t the 6.5-06 AI give you similar velocities to the GAP and a permanent supply of brass?
Posted By: Teal Re: 6.5 gap vs prc - 03/21/24
Originally Posted by predmaster223
I have everything to build a 6.5 gap 4s including reamer and 100 brass. I'm debating on selling the reamer and brass and going with prc. The prc looks like it will stay around while the 6.5 gap seems to be fading. I like the minimal gains produced by the gap but not sure if it would be worth the hassle of finding brass. I bought the reamer and brass years ago when the gap was new. If I was buying today I'd probably just go prc for simplicity. It'll be a sporter weight hunting rifle. Opinions?

PRC pushes the easy button between the 2. Scheel's had a couple hundred PRC brass on the shelf 2 weeks ago, also factory ammo can be available if need be. I'd probably be in the PRC camp - given a choice between those 2 specifically.

Why either one - if I may ask - for a sporter weight hunting rifle? Just looking for a fast 6.5?
Posted By: beretzs Re: 6.5 gap vs prc - 03/21/24
I did a 6.5 PRC and have no regrets. The tiny bit extra a GAP gives you isn’t worth searching harder for components. They’re both pretty good cartridges but with ADG and Lapua being available easily and often the PRC was the easy button.
Posted By: predmaster223 Re: 6.5 gap vs prc - 03/21/24
I agree with everything above. Thanks. The prc easy button is right on. I'm building on a short action is why the 6.5-06 wasn't considered. As to why, no idea really. I'm sure I have other rifles that could do the same work but it's just a want.
Posted By: 69sportfury Re: 6.5 gap vs prc - 03/22/24
Not trying to highjack, but thoughts on a 18" 6.5 PRC for a suppressed hunting rifle?

Shots would never exceed 400 yards, deer sized game.
Posted By: tripod3 Re: 6.5 gap vs prc - 03/22/24
In my mind, a short barreled 6.5 prc = a regular length barreled 6.5 creedmoor.
Posted By: Teal Re: 6.5 gap vs prc - 03/22/24
Originally Posted by 69sportfury
Not trying to highjack, but thoughts on a 18" 6.5 PRC for a suppressed hunting rifle?

If you're going to shorten it - may as well just go Creedmoor and save the powder. Especially 400 and in.
Posted By: Brad Re: 6.5 gap vs prc - 03/22/24

Perfect IMO - performs like a 24" 6.5 CM, but with less recoil and noise.
Posted By: Rolltide Re: 6.5 gap vs prc - 03/22/24

I've been eyeballing a Seekins Havak Element or possibly just building a short 6.5 PRC to hunt suppressed. I like that round a lot, but my Christensen BA Tactical's 26" barrel is long to begin with...

Adding another 6+ inches makes it too long to hunt with...but a dream to shoot!
Posted By: Garandimal Re: 6.5 gap vs prc - 03/22/24
Was thinkin'bout a 6.5 PRC.

Then realized that out to 400 yards, the .270 Winchester is just as good in the field.

GR
Posted By: predmaster223 Re: 6.5 gap vs prc - 03/23/24
Originally Posted by Garandimal

Then realized that out to 400 yards, the .270 Winchester is just as good in the field.

GR
I come back to my thread to see this? All I need is a 270
Posted By: brinky72 Re: 6.5 gap vs prc - 03/23/24

GR

Damn! That’s gonna sting a bit.
Posted By: predmaster223 Re: 6.5 gap vs prc - 03/24/24
Originally Posted by brinky72

GR

Definitely hurts my feelings
Posted By: Deere_Man Re: 6.5 gap vs prc - 03/24/24
Originally Posted by brinky72

GR

Definitely hurts my feelings

The old 6.5 PRC vs 6.8-06 argument again? It’s a story as old as time itself.
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: 6.5 gap vs prc - 03/24/24

GR
I come back to my thread to see this? All I need is a 270

He is actually just retarded. You'd be wise to never take what he posts seriously.
Posted By: longshot3 Re: 6.5 gap vs prc - 03/24/24
I've got two PRC's and about to pick up a third. I love what that cartridge and twist can do with those long, skinny bullets. Brass is easy to find. I'm using H1000 in my loads. If I can ever get my hands on some RL26, I'll try that out. IMR7828ssc works well too.

I also have a 270 Win with a 26 inch Hart bbl, that spits 150's at 2960! 😁
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: 6.5 gap vs prc - 03/24/24
Originally Posted by tripod3
In my mind, a short barreled 6.5 prc = a regular length barreled 6.5 creedmoor.

If you can get 2,950 out of a 24" Creedmoor with a 140 grain bullet, then yes they are equal.
Doing that with ease in my 20" PRC....
© 24hourcampfire