Home
Posted By: coldboremiracle 220 Swift Overhaul - 03/25/24
My Dad has been shooting his Swift since the 70's, but the barrel finally burned up. It gave me the perfect excuse to rebuilt the whole rifle, and turn it into something even better.

Ruger M77 Overhaul

Attached picture chucks-resized-copy.jpg
Posted By: pete53 Re: 220 Swift Overhaul - 03/25/24
very nice ! enjoy your rifle
Posted By: coldboremiracle Re: 220 Swift Overhaul - 03/26/24
Originally Posted by pete53
very nice ! enjoy your rifle
Thanks! We have put it to good use, it has been the terror of the local Marmot population

Posted By: ERK Re: 220 Swift Overhaul - 03/26/24
Those rifles shot pretty well. I have a friend with a couple still new in the box. Don’t ask because he won’t sell them. Edk
Posted By: pete53 Re: 220 Swift Overhaul - 03/26/24
WOW ! very nice video ! looks like a lot of fun .thanks for posting the great video,Pete53
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: 220 Swift Overhaul - 03/26/24
Very nice, enjoy!

My very first "varmint" rifle, way back when, was a custom Mauser with a 26" heavy barrel in 220 Swift. Accounted for all kinds of critters, great cartridge!
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: 220 Swift Overhaul - 03/26/24
I love varmint shooting!
Posted By: bartman Re: 220 Swift Overhaul - 03/26/24
Good stuff right there!! I currently have a M700 VSSF .220 Swift and will upgrade barrels when this one wears out. Silly thing makes bugholes at 100 with 52 grain Sierras but runs outta stream at the longer yardages.
Posted By: coldboremiracle Re: 220 Swift Overhaul - 03/27/24
Originally Posted by bartman
Good stuff right there!! I currently have a M700 VSSF .220 Swift and will upgrade barrels when this one wears out. Silly thing makes bugholes at 100 with 52 grain Sierras but runs outta stream at the longer yardages.
This rifle used to shoot the 52's and 53's. Thats what we burned up the last barrel shooting, and boy did they shoot good. Funny thing is I still have a few boxes of my handloaded 52's from over 20 years ago, and this thing still loves em. But I for sure wanted it to be able to shoot the 75 ELDM's for longer range stuff, and bigger varmints. Thats why I went with the faster twist.
Posted By: wkndwarrior Re: 220 Swift Overhaul - 04/01/24
Nice write up. I love my 220 swift, when it need a barrel I think the only thing that I will change is going with an ackley chambering.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: 220 Swift Overhaul - 04/02/24
I've had LOTS of Swifts and this one is far and away my favorite. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

.545 BC's at 3200fps from a 21",do not suck. Hint.

Just sayin'....................
Posted By: coldboremiracle Re: 220 Swift Overhaul - 04/08/24
Originally Posted by Big Stick
.545 BC's at 3200fps from a 21",do not suck.
Thats for sure, it wrecks the varmints
Posted By: Big Stick Re: 220 Swift Overhaul - 04/08/24
Moose,Elk,Bear,Sheep,Goats,Deer,Woof’s and the like. Hint…………
Posted By: shrapnel Re: 220 Swift Overhaul - 04/08/24
Originally Posted by coldboremiracle
Originally Posted by bartman
This rifle used to shoot the 52's and 53's. Thats what we burned up the last barrel shooting, and boy did they shoot good. Funny thing is I still have a few boxes of my handloaded 52's from over 20 years ago, and this thing still loves em. But I for sure wanted it to be able to shoot the 75 ELDM's for longer range stuff, and bigger varmints. Thats why I went with the faster twist.

At what distance does the 75 grain overtake the 50 grain VMax bullet at 3800 FPS? And what distance does it have an advantage?
SchitSmell,

From the muzzle you AMAZINGLY Dumb Fhuqk. Hint.

Fhuqking Laughing!………..
SchitSmell,

From the muzzle you AMAZINGLY Dumb Fhuqk. Hint.

Fhuqking Laughing!………..

Congratulations, you are to shooting what rap is to music…
SchitSmell,

I'm happy to be whatever you NEED most, in your hilarious World...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You are a Magnificent Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit. Hint.

Very GOOD call to abandon ALL things The Rifle and focus your music. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!......................
Posted By: GSPfan Re: 220 Swift Overhaul - 04/08/24
I love the Swift. My rifle is a Cooper Montana Varminter and it will turn a prairie dog into smithereens of whirling flesh with 55 grain V-Max's
Honey,

55’s are a fhuqking joke and starting velocity isn’t impact velocity. Hint……….
Honey,

55’s are a fhuqking joke and starting velocity isn’t impact velocity. Hint……….

What is really funny as how ignorant wretch like you can make comments about someone else’s Shooting and be so certain about it when the nearest prairie dog from you was probably 2000 miles. Even with your laughable artillery you couldn’t make a shot that far…

Hint….
You Professional Victims are a hoot! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!………
Posted By: 41rem Re: 220 Swift Overhaul - 04/08/24
Good article, enjoyed it. I've rebuilt my old M77 as well. Good to keep them up & running

Posted By: earlybrd Re: 220 Swift Overhaul - 04/08/24
Nice gun👍
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: 220 Swift Overhaul - 04/08/24
Best 220 Swift overhaul i ever did was to send it down the road.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: 220 Swift Overhaul - 04/09/24
I have two and use them both. Right now one is my main rifle I carry in my truck for come as it may varmint shooting. It is shooting 50 gr. vmax very well.
Posted By: coldboremiracle Re: 220 Swift Overhaul - 04/10/24
Originally Posted by 41rem
Good article, enjoyed it. I've rebuilt my old M77 as well. Good to keep them up & running

Indeed it is! I love this old cartridge, it still kicks ass all these years later.
© 24hourcampfire