Home
Posted By: trapperJ Cleaning rods - 04/03/24
I'm needing a new cleaning rod. My Tipton carbon fiber rod split on me.

Whats ya'lls preferences? Brand and material.

Thanks
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Cleaning rods - 04/03/24
https://www.boretech.com/categories/rifle-cleaning-supplies/cleaning-rods/proof-positive-bore-stix

Never done me wrong.
Posted By: lhead71 Re: Cleaning rods - 04/03/24
+1 on boretech
Posted By: trapperJ Re: Cleaning rods - 04/03/24
I had a cheap coated rod years ago and the coating would always peel off. The Boretechs coating holding up well? Must be if you guys are liking them.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Cleaning rods - 04/03/24
I've got several high milage rods and zero issues.
Posted By: trapperJ Re: Cleaning rods - 04/03/24
Good to hear, thanks dye7barrel.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Cleaning rods - 04/03/24
Dewey has proven to be dependable for me. In stock at Sportsman's.
Posted By: OkieShooter Re: Cleaning rods - 04/03/24
I use an old Sinclair rod. Had it for 20 years or so
Posted By: wkndwarrior Re: Cleaning rods - 04/03/24
Not sure how yours broke, but I like the tipton max force rods.
Posted By: Westman Re: Cleaning rods - 04/03/24
I've had Dewey rods for years. No complaints.
Posted By: 01Foreman400 Re: Cleaning rods - 04/03/24
Got 5 Dewey rods and got my first one over 20 years ago. Not a single issue.
Posted By: Wizard1962 Re: Cleaning rods - 04/04/24
Originally Posted by Westman

Same here.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Cleaning rods - 04/04/24
I picked up a Hoppes elite rod some years back. Would buy another if something happened to it.
Posted By: 3dtestify Re: Cleaning rods - 04/04/24
Originally Posted by Westman
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Posted By: MickinColo Re: Cleaning rods - 04/04/24
Dewey rods and jigs.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Cleaning rods - 04/04/24
Any reputable one piece rod will do just fine if used with a bore guide. Aluminum, coated aluminum, carbon, but I’d avoid a steel rod
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Cleaning rods - 04/04/24
I am more scared of aluminum, especially jointed aluminum, than I am of stainless steel.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Cleaning rods - 04/04/24
Originally Posted by hotsoup
Any reputable one piece rod will do just fine if used with a bore guide. Aluminum, coated aluminum, carbon, but I’d avoid a steel rod

Why? A coated rod will have crap inbedded in the coating. A pollshed heat treated will not do that. People have been injured when their carbon fiber rods shatter.
Posted By: Sheister Re: Cleaning rods - 04/05/24
I've got a Dewey .17 caliber rod and a Pro Shot .22 caliber rod and they have handled all my needs for a very long time now with no problems. A good polished steel one piece rod is probably going to be the most reliable rod you're going to find and I can't imagine anyone wearing one out or breaking one- especially if you use a good bore guide.
Posted By: lightman Re: Cleaning rods - 04/05/24
I've been happy with my Dewey coated rods.
Posted By: Gunaddict Re: Cleaning rods - 04/06/24
Dewey!!!!!!
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Cleaning rods - 04/06/24
I have a couple stainless steel rods from Shooter's Choice that are easily 30 years old
Posted By: FSJeeper Re: Cleaning rods - 04/06/24
Originally Posted by tedthorn
I have a couple stainless steel rods from Shooter's Choice that are easily 30 years old

Same experience here. I have tried the new coated rods and they allow residue to embed on the rod surface. Total PITA. The stainless are stronger and flex less. My go-to rod from now on.

For a field cleaning rod kit, I use the M1 Garand/M14 sectioned rods because they are so compact and super strong. I have never had to clean a rifle in the field but I did miss a chance on a second doe last season due to a cartridge sticking and the extractor not able to pull it out of the chamber after the first doe was shot. That is the first time in over 50 years of hunting that has happened. I see the cleaning rod in the field being used mostly for clearing accidental bore obstructions like snow or mud and tapping our stuck cartridge cases. Anyway, that's what I carry from now on. Super compact and will last forever.
Posted By: dave284 Re: Cleaning rods - 04/08/24
[quote=FSJeeper]... I see the cleaning rod in the field being used mostly for clearing accidental bore obstructions like snow or mud and tapping our stuck cartridge cases....

Tape on the end of the muzzle will cure two of those three, plus help protect the crown.

I have 2 Dewey rods that have served me well for years.
Posted By: longshot3 Re: Cleaning rods - 04/08/24
The rods I bought in 1998 are the rods that I'm still using today. Dewey...nuff said
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Cleaning rods - 04/13/24
Dewey here. No issues for the 25 years I been using them.
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: Cleaning rods - 04/13/24
Dewey
Posted By: JD45 Re: Cleaning rods - 04/13/24
Same here. My Dewey rods look the same after decades.
Posted By: drano 25 Re: Cleaning rods - 04/13/24

+1 to the Bore Stix, every day, twice on Sunday.

I’ve had a couple of Dewey rods. They are soft as noted, and the brass tips doesn’t do any favors. The Tipton rods are a bit better, in my opinion. Still, the Bore Stix are far and away the best I’ve used.
Posted By: KenMi Re: Cleaning rods - 04/14/24
If one of my Tipton's ever broke or got damaged, I'd replace with another of the same with no question. I have 4 various sizes to cover everything from .17 to .45+
© 24hourcampfire