Home
Posted By: Arns9 What rifle do I need? - 08/17/07
Every year I travel to northern Missouri to hunt whitetails. Like all rifle loonies, I want the "perfect" rifle, but I can't decide what would be best. Two seasons ago, I shot a 150-class 8 pointer out of a tree stand at about 20 yards. In that blind, 50 yards is about as far as one would be able to get a shot. Now this year, I'll have a tripod overlooking a harvested grain field where a 300 yard shot would be quite possible .

Trying to decide on a "perfect" rifle for two such different places is trying my sanity! I've toyed with the idea of getting a heavy-barreled rifle that would be best for the long shot, but a bit of a handicap in the tree stand. I've also thought about a Rem. Mountain rifle for the exact opposite reason. Or would I be better served by a standard sporter and split the difference? Decisions Decisions!

What says the campfire?
Posted By: SKane Re: What rifle do I need? - 08/17/07
Oh my goodness. This has the making of about 40 pages..... laugh !!!
How about, you take me with you and you can chose from a plethora of calibers & configurations from my lineup?

Well, one thing is for certain, taint like ya need a lightweight rig to carry all day. Yeah, I'm not even listing a caliber & configuration here. Let the flood gates open.......

BTW- A 150-class eight is a NICE freaking whitetail.

sk
Posted By: High_Brass Re: What rifle do I need? - 08/17/07
I'd go the sporter route myself. Sounds like what the basic sporter rifle was essentially designed for, to hunt about most anywhere. I'd take my Ruger M77 Mk II in 280 and call it good. Just me though.
Posted By: DonFischer Re: What rifle do I need? - 08/17/07
That would never ever do. But you might concider either a 284 Win or the 7x57 in a good modern bolt!
Nope, gotta go bigger yet! grin

30-06, or anything in magnum. JMO
Posted By: Savuti Re: What rifle do I need? - 08/17/07
Ackley Bob in a NULA.

SOS
Posted By: jstevens Re: What rifle do I need? - 08/17/07
I've hunted whitetails in northern Mo. since birth. I have shot them with everything from a .22LR to .416 Rigby. My favorite is the 7x57 Mauser with handloaded 140's at 2900 fps or so. I sure wouldn't consider a heavy barreled rifle for a primary deer rifle,a 24 in. barrel about .625-.650 at the muzzle suits me fine. As a bit of a clarification, I often use my .375's, .416 and other big bores during the winter doe season just to get some practice with them before a hunt. A 150-class gross whitetail isn't too hard to find in some parts if the area has been managed at all. You can't shoot a 120 pt deer the first day and ever kill a big one.
Posted By: himmelrr Re: What rifle do I need? - 08/17/07
I would find a Rem 700 LVSF in 7mm-08 (308 too). Throw it in a 700 Ti or Mtn LSS stock and you're easliy covered to 300yds. 140gr at 2800-2900fps would be a killer (faster 120TSXs would be great also). Top it with a Leupy 2.5-8 or 3.5-10.

There are many good choices but this would be mine.

RH
Posted By: Dancing Bear Re: What rifle do I need? - 08/17/07
Posted By: stumpy Re: What rifle do I need? - 08/17/07
I would go with a medium barrel after hunting with too light and too heavy in lots of situations. Short barrels are overrated. I don't like the increased muzzle blast. My longer (front end heavy) rifles seem to point better, especially offhand.

"A 150-class gross whitetail isn't too hard to find in some parts if the area has been managed at all." A 150 8-point is pretty big anywhere.

stumpy
Posted By: GregW Re: What rifle do I need? - 08/17/07
Originally Posted by jstevens
A 150-class gross whitetail isn't too hard to find in some parts if the area has been managed at all. You can't shoot a 120 pt deer the first day and ever kill a big one.

150 class deer is a good deer in a majority of the US. A 150 class 8 pt. is a freaking monster anywhere you go. That includes my home state that is kinda known for big deer...

If you're talking about a sperm bank pen for growing 150 class WTD then sure it may not be impressive but a 150 class deer from a low fence area, let alone an 8 pt., is a very good deer.

That said there are lots of places in the US where 150 class deer, even properly managed, are extremely rare...
Posted By: the_shootist Re: What rifle do I need? - 08/17/07
Well, like my teenage daughter said to me when I told her I found her a hunting rifle -- Dad, it better be a 30-06 or you might just as well take it back, 'cause I don't want anything else. Can't imagine for the life of me where she developed such a prejudice. wink Musta been her Mom! (who also shoots one) grin
Posted By: HunterJim Re: What rifle do I need? - 08/17/07
I have often used my Steyr Scout .308 Win for such whitetail deer hunting, and the .308 is a good killer at any sane range. I use a variable scout mounted over the action, as they are a better hunting solution than the low-power, forward-mounted "scout" scope.

Any carbine in .308 will do fine (or 7-08 or .260 or .250). Look for a 6# rifle about 40" long.

jim
Posted By: Ngrumba Re: What rifle do I need? - 08/17/07
a 50BMG should cover anything that moves. whistle
Posted By: Kimberman Re: What rifle do I need? - 08/17/07
Your post is sreaming 270 or 308 to me. I would go with a sporter in a 270 and a lightweight in .308.
Posted By: Supermag Re: What rifle do I need? - 08/17/07
In all reality anything from a 260 Remington to a 338 Win Mag will work just fine (including the 270 and 308). Just practice with the new rifle, alot, at ranges up to and including the maximum you are expecting to see.
Posted By: 7 STW Re: What rifle do I need? - 08/17/07
Originally Posted by Ngrumba

Tanks planes terrorists yup she's a good one.Kill your deer right from your lazy-boy.
Posted By: RAT Re: What rifle do I need? - 08/17/07
7-08 Montana.
Posted By: SKane Re: What rifle do I need? - 08/17/07
Alright, fine - if today's strain of whitetails could be killed with a .270, I'd prolly lean towards that. But we all know they can't. crazy
Posted By: Beargrease Re: What rifle do I need? - 08/17/07
I use a 7mm STW for whitetails across big clearcuts in Northern MN. I have taken them at up to 400 yards with no problem. The rifle is a Remington 700 BDL Stainless. The 7mm WSM has the same ballistics and is available in a lot of different rifles. I think any fast 7mm would work great for your purposes.
Posted By: passport Re: What rifle do I need? - 08/17/07
1 gun, 30-06. Next question.
Posted By: rossi Re: What rifle do I need? - 08/17/07
Whitetails in those surroundings are made to order for the 308 Win. In tight or way out there, it is about as perfect a whitetail cartridge as you can carry. Light carry, accuracy and low recoil are the hallmarks of this excellent cartridge.
Posted By: Brad Re: What rifle do I need? - 08/17/07
300 yards/150 class whitetail has anything from 243 Win to 300 WM written all over it... take your pick (grin).
Posted By: RickyD Re: What rifle do I need? - 08/17/07
Do you handload? If not, stick with the tried and true: 270, 308, 30-06, 300 Win, 7 Rem mag, or a WSM (270 or 300).
Posted By: Powerguy Re: What rifle do I need? - 08/17/07
Originally Posted by RAT
7-08 Montana.

Too Small

Try a Montana in 308
I say hunt with whatever you have in your closet. Just about every caliber I know of will do what you need.I prefer 7-8 lb rifle 38-40inch in length. But then again its a good reason to by a new rifle....."No Honey that 30'06 won't shoot that far its 100 years old".....hehehe
Posted By: 24_7 Re: What rifle do I need? - 08/18/07
I really like Remingtons myself but for some reason even their standard calibers seem to be a tad on the heavy side so a mountain rifle should suit you fine. These calibers will do good, .243, 25-06, .270, 7mm-08, .308, or 30-06. Have fun.
Chapter II

Wait I gotta get more beer and peanuts.

OK, ya'll get on with the gobbley gook. smile

Wayne
Posted By: 24_7 Re: What rifle do I need? - 08/18/07
Originally Posted by 7 STW
Originally Posted by Ngrumba

Tanks planes terrorists yup she's a good one.Kill your deer right from your lazy-boy.

That's true because you never know when a tank will roll through and you may have to disable it. I didn't think of that.....
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: What rifle do I need? - 08/18/07
Originally Posted by High_Brass
I'd take my Ruger M77 Mk II in 280 and call it good.

As would I .......
Sporter barrel is for sure! 25/06, 270, 308 will all do that range with ease!
Posted By: BobinNH Re: What rifle do I need? - 08/18/07
Get a light (6.5-7 lb) 270 or 280 with a 22" barrel; practice to 300 or 400 yards. Works great up close, and out far. Call it good.
Posted By: SMACARAC3 Re: What rifle do I need? - 08/18/07
I would use my 264 remmy or my 99 3oo savage.
Posted By: oldguns Re: What rifle do I need? - 08/18/07
I'd get a sporter weight barrel...22-24"..in 270/280 caliber..thats all youll need!...ohhhhh and practice...a 150 class 8 pointer is a fine deer
Posted By: Arns9 Re: What rifle do I need? - 08/18/07
Thanks for all the replies, guys.

My dilema is really whether to get a heavy, light, or sporter-weight rifle. I don't fret much over cartridge as so many will work well. My choice would be .270, .280, or .30-06 (I reserve the right to change my mind, though! grin)

I'd love to post a picture of my big 8 pointer, but since I don't have a digital camera... One of these days I'll get into the 21st century.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: What rifle do I need? - 08/18/07
consider a sporter bolt action by any of the major manufacturers in 30-06. one man, one rifle, one land!
Posted By: DMB Re: What rifle do I need? - 08/18/07
I gotta get into this thriller... grin

First, and foremost, buy a 7x57 NOW!! grin
Load 140 grain Nosler Partitions using H-414.
That's the load for my 7x57.
Your search has ended. grin
Posted By: Supermag Re: What rifle do I need? - 08/18/07
For rifle style, I'd go with a sporter or mountain rifle type. There isn't really much need for a heavy barreled gun for your type of hunting. I tend to lean towards stainless/synthetic guns, but that is mainly a personal choice.
Posted By: jstevens Re: What rifle do I need? - 08/18/07
GMoney

A 150 GROSS deer in my area is not too special, we kill 3-4 a year, 150 net is another story. I have a 153 NET eight pointer on the wall now. In 1988 we killed 9 (rifle and bow) over 140 gross, and killed 6 last year. There are no high fenced areas where I hunt at all. The best last year was 188 gross, my nephew's bow kill. He also killed a 171 typical B&C two years ago. Again, the 150 net score is a lot different story, especially in my area as the deer tend to be nontypical when they age. I'm sure in some areas a 150 gross buck is a monster, in N Mo. or S Iowa, it is a nice buck, not a buck of a lifetime.
well go with the Ruger #1 in .270
Originally Posted by MattfromTexas
well go with the Ruger #1 in .270

Damn nice rifle!!!!
Originally Posted by Arns9
Every year I travel to northern Missouri to hunt whitetails. Like all rifle loonies, I want the "perfect" rifle, but I can't decide what would be best. Two seasons ago, I shot a 150-class 8 pointer out of a tree stand at about 20 yards. In that blind, 50 yards is about as far as one would be able to get a shot. Now this year, I'll have a tripod overlooking a harvested grain field where a 300 yard shot would be quite possible .

Trying to decide on a "perfect" rifle for two such different places is trying my sanity! I've toyed with the idea of getting a heavy-barreled rifle that would be best for the long shot, but a bit of a handicap in the tree stand. I've also thought about a Rem. Mountain rifle for the exact opposite reason. Or would I be better served by a standard sporter and split the difference? Decisions Decisions!

What says the campfire?

Cartridge-wise, if you're rock-solid with a .243, then go for it. Anything bigger will work, too.

However, do you have any rifles in the family to which you have a sentimental attachment? Is there a gun out there that your Dad, or Grandpa, or HIS Dad, used to take into the woods? Is there a rifle that has more stories to tell than your kids or camp buddies have the patience to listen to? If not, I'd suggest you bear those things in mind when selecting your rifle. Hunting's the kind of activity that can connect us across generations, and a great rifle is a wonderful tool with which to do it.

FC
Posted By: deadkenny Re: What rifle do I need? - 08/19/07
As far as the 'type' of rifle is concern, my understanding is that the heavy weight barrels are primarily to maintain accuracy and PoI as the barrel heats due to repeated shooting (e.g. target). Is that likely to be an issue for your hunting? If not I would recommend a sporter weight barrel, with a 'reasonable' length depending on the cartridge.

Regarding the cartridge, there are plenty of good choices, starting with .250 Savage, .257 Roberts, .260 Remington, 7mm-08, 7x57, .300 Savage, .308 and of course the extended '06' family.
Posted By: Hondo64d Re: What rifle do I need? - 08/19/07
Thanks for all the replies, guys.

My dilema is really whether to get a heavy, light, or sporter-weight rifle. I don't fret much over cartridge as so many will work well. My choice would be .270, .280, or .30-06 (I reserve the right to change my mind, though! grin)

I would say it depends on whether you want a rifle specifically for hunting over a grain field from a blind or whether you want to use it in other circumstances. If you want to tailor the rifle just for this hunt, something like a Remington Sendero would probably do well for you. If you want to use it for future hunts that may involve more moving around, you might want to pick a standard or lightweight sporter.

John
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: What rifle do I need? - 08/19/07

Trying to decide on a "perfect" rifle for two such different places is trying my sanity!

For the 50-yard stand: a BLR in .358 Win.

For the 300-yard stand: something in .308 Win or 7mm-08 or 30-06 or .270 or or or or or or or or or ...

-jeff
Posted By: BobinNH Re: What rifle do I need? - 08/19/07
Arns9: What you're trying to do is find a rifle that can serve adequately in both heavy cover, and that will deliver if you find yourself faced with a long range opportunity. There are lots of calibers that will work if you know the rifle and trajectory, and it boils down to rifle style.Everyone will have different views.Such a rifle is a compromise of sorts, but you need (IMO)something light, handy, and manueverable for the heavy cover, chambered for a relatively flat shooting cartridge, that is accurate enough to handle 300-400 yards.

The world is full of these things, and something on the order of a Rem Mtn rifle, Winchester M70 FW, Kimber Montana, Ruger Hawkeye, etc chambered for 270,280,30/06,7/08,etc will do these things for you if you tune it up and practice with it. I use a 270, but have used and hunted with 280's 7/08, 7/57, 30/06,etc in this style rifle. They all worked.This is a common whitetail hunting dilemma, faced every year everywhere from New England to Alberta. A 22" barrel works here a tad better than a 24,but something like a Kimber Montana in 270,7mm,300 WSM with 24" barrel will be super, too., and the above cartridges all deliver reasonable velocities, and the accuracy to deal with a long shot.I,ve used this type rifle for 30 + years all over North America on whitetails and mule deer from 20ft(!) to about 500 yards. If you practice with it,and its a good rifle, you will be able to get solid chest hits out to 500 IF YOU PRACTICE.And you'll still have the nimble handling qualities you want for the tree stands, and still-hunting in denser cover.No buck will be safe!
Posted By: jimmyp Re: What rifle do I need? - 08/19/07
I think too light a rifle is difficult to make an off hand shot with at longer distances unless of course its a NULA. Something with a 23-24 inch barrel may hold better for you on an off hand shot, a rifle that might weight 8.5 pounds with scope, sling and 4 cartridges in it seems good in my mind.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: What rifle do I need? - 08/19/07
The lightness of the rifle won't really matter from a stand, though, will it? Don't those have rifle rests?

-jeff
Posted By: evb Re: What rifle do I need? - 08/20/07
Two seasons ago, I shot a 150-class 8 pointer out of a tree stand at about 20 yards.

I'm new here and don't know much about deer so I've got to ask: How did your deer get up into that tree stand? grin
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: What rifle do I need? - 08/20/07
45-70......good to 150 yards.

Kills deer like nothing else.

MM
Posted By: BobinNH Re: What rifle do I need? - 08/20/07
Jimmy: You generally don't shoot off hand at long range; you find a rest of some sort, or use a sling, or sticks, etc. I have found 8.5 lbs more than I care to carry all day when hunting on foot, whether in the West, or back here in Maine, etc, where the rifle is in your hands all day long, instantly ready and available.Depends on what caliber you pick;in a deer rifle I want less weight.A NULA would be great.

I don't do much stand hunting, except when I go to central Canada for whitetails, where it is sort of required. I shoot a lot out to 400 yards; I can't see much difference between the 7 lb and 8.5 lb rifles out to that distance.
© 24hourcampfire