Home
Posted By: colorado Browning BLR what caliber? - 11/10/07
Hi my oldest son, really wants a lever action rifle, so I'm buying him one for a high school graduation present. He was looking at the Marlin 308 express, but is gravitating to the Browning BLR on his own (which I'm happier with). The question now is caliber. He wants something heavier (he's been shooting a 30/30 and a 270). He's looking at the 45/70 and 358 WCF (which I suggested). He'll be hunting deer, elk and looking for a trophy black bear.

Thanks,
Chuck
.358 in that rifle, no question.
Posted By: Lee24 Re: Browning BLR what caliber? - 11/10/07
I have a 7mm-08, which comes with a 20-inch barrel. For elk and big bears, I would go .358 Win.
450 marlin
Posted By: Rooney Re: Browning BLR what caliber? - 11/10/07
.358 hands down
325 wsm
Take a look at the .325WSM. Appears to do it all. Good luck.

George
358 Win.
Get him a Marlin in 444. BLR's are junk........
Posted By: WyoJoe Re: Browning BLR what caliber? - 11/10/07
Originally Posted by 8mmwapiti
325 wsm

Ditto
Posted By: Nessmuk Re: Browning BLR what caliber? - 11/10/07
I've had two BLR's. One was great and one wasn't. I understand there are after market steel gears to replace the ones in the mechanism. Maybe that would solve things? Mine that had problems would lock closed and needed to be dissasembled to work again. Three returns never fixed it.
Posted By: noKnees Re: Browning BLR what caliber? - 11/10/07
if he reloads.. no doubt 358win
I have 3 BLR's, .358, .284 and .308. I never had a problem with any of them.

I would go with the .358.

Anyone know where to source the steel replacement gear?
Originally Posted by corelokt
I've had two BLR's. One was great and one wasn't. I understand there are after market steel gears to replace the ones in the mechanism. Maybe that would solve things? Mine that had problems would lock closed and needed to be dissasembled to work again. Three returns never fixed it.

The exact reason for my "junk" comment........
Neither.........I've got a nice Marlin straight grip model 1895 in 45-70 for sale in the Classifieds which would make him a great rifle for timber work.

MM
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Browning BLR what caliber? - 11/11/07
Originally Posted by 2muchgun

Bullschit- and I've owned both.

-jeff
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Browning BLR what caliber? - 11/11/07
I've owned a .358 BLR and it was a very cool rifle... but I ended up rebarreling a bolt rifle to .358 and sold the BLR... however, if you are a handloader, the .358 with it's 20" barrel is a real joy!

However, what I'm going to recommend is a BLR in .325 WSM, which is what I currently have. This is also a handloader's caliber, pretty much, though there's certainly factory ammo available. Anyway, my .325 shoots HOT loads well under 1.5" at 100 yards, and is very comfortable to shoot, and cycles the WSM cartridge as slick as can be; it's really a neat rifle. You get all the advantages of a lever gun, without giving up ANYTHING as far as range or reach.

2nd choice would be 300 WSM.

I feel strongly that the new pistol-grip version is the way to go. It handles better, and it handles recoil much better, and there's no barrel band like the straight stock has, so the barrel is free-floated. Having had both a straight stocked BLR and a pistol-grip BLR, in my opinion the pistol grip version is far superior.

Finally, the trigger is the achilles heel of the BLR. They suck. I finally found someone to work on mine, Neil Jones of Neil Jones Custom Products. He will send it back breaking clean at 3.5 pounds or so- a HUGE improvement. Highly recommended.

Finally finally, once he is sure he likes it... take some 0000 steel wool and de-gloss that stock!

-jeff
Originally Posted by Jeff_Olsen
Originally Posted by 2muchgun

Bullschit- and I've owned both.

-jeff

If you like rifles with plastic gears/bushings that break or jam, BLR's are great.....
Or if you like leverguns with awkward looks and balance, with glossy stocks and schitty triggers, they are also an excellent value......
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Browning BLR what caliber? - 11/12/07
2muchgun,

I shouldn't have phrased it like I did. BLR's are odd ducks, no doubt.

But i've owned two of them and they are NOT junk. Never had a problem of any kind, period. I can't say that about the 4 Marlins I've owned, for instance. I love my Marlins but they are not perfect.

So... you are not speaking "bullchit" and I shouldn't have said it that way- but in my humble opinion, BLR's are hardly "junk". Unless "junk" means accurate, reliable, powerful rifle!

-jeff
Gotta de-gloss that stock, for sure! 0000 steel wool takes care of that...

Hey, if you are so inclined and see one in the gunshop, handle one of the new ones with the pistol grip. Far superior IMHO.

Neil Jones gives 'em a great trigger for $100 or so.

But the thing in, nothing else does what they do. If Marlin made a levergun in a WSM caliber, hey, I'd be all over it! But they don't....

-jeff
WSM's and the like are simply not what leverguns are best suited for IMO. I prefer them for their fast handling characteristics and the large diameter bores they are available in. If I foresee longer shots, I select a different action type.......

My Win 88 in 308 is the only possible exception to this rule, of the dozen or so leverguns I own. It will "hang" in the accuracy dept. with the vast majority of bolt guns.....
Plus, the trigger and lever moving "as one" kinda freaks me out....
Yeah, gotcha.

The thing I like about it is that I get 95% of the advantages of a good levergun in the thick, close stuff without giving up the longer-range reach if I need it...

But then, I tend to overthink these things. I am currently working on getting by elk battery all dialed in. It consists of my .325 WSM BLR, and a .325 WSM Kimber Montana. I'm trying to get one load that shoots for both rifles (seems very possible at this point, just got the Kimber though) and once I get it dialed I'll feel pretty good about elk in everything from thick to thin, so to speak.

The overthinking is that my .338 is really all the elk gun I could ever ask for. :-)

I have hunted 'em with a Marlin 45/70 so I know what you mean. I think we are mostly on the same page.

-jeff
I'll be totin' the Win '88 308 and a Remmy 700 in 6-06 to camp this year....
"will be"? I'm jealous! I'm all done.

Uh... hate to say it... but those 88's are kinda fugly, too.

Just sayin'.

:-)

-jeff
If you are referring to the post-64 "baketweave" models, I'll agree. This 1957 model, however, can hardly be construed as "fugly"(especially from a BLR guy) IMO........

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nor can the 3/8" groups it shot with my new 150gr Accubond loads......grin

I absolutely love the feel/balance of the 88.......
To be honest, I've only handled a couple. No, your rifle isn't fugly... just a little "off" for a lever gun! :-) And a BLR is a little more "off".

I like your gun bench, there. Looks like you too like good beer!

-jeff (with a Deschutes Brewery Jubelale by my side as I type...)
Good beer is essential to my well-being.......
Mmmm.... beer...

So hey, my wife is from Michigan and my brother is also about to marry a Michigan gal. Wife is from Grand Rapids and Saugatuck. Bro's wife is Holland and Saugatuck. I've only been there a couple times.

Anyway, nice to hear you guys have good beer there! If you ever see any Deschutes products... Mirror Pond Pale, Jubelale... buy it! They have the hops down PAT.

-jeff
Posted By: Chinook Re: Browning BLR what caliber? - 11/12/07
I'm not a huge fan of the BLR. But, to a person, everybody I've known who had one loved it to death.

FWIW, no question if I was to get one it'd be in .358 Win. Of all the calibers it's chambered in, the .358 seems to fit it best.

Good shooting!
The doe I whacked with my .358, at 125 yards or so with the open sights... was awesome. Yeah, a .358 BLR rocks!

-jeff
Jeff,
If you like hopps, try the Inversion IPA . Good "stuff" (grin!)
Virgil B.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Browning BLR what caliber? - 11/13/07
Agreed!! 100%!

Hey... Lorane, huh? I'm up near Elmira.

-jeff
© 24hourcampfire