Home
I needed this like a need another 4-wheel drive truck with a V-8 in the driveway but I just couldn't resist!
It called my name darn it! I had to!
Brought home a tang-safety Ruger 77 in 7X57 caliber.
Serial number has it being made in 1982 and the overall condition is close to 95%.
It came with what look to be Ruger medium or High rings and the barrel is slick.
I have a .280 Mtn Rifle and a .257 Mtn Rifle so this one really doesn't fill a need. When I start reloading this year I have a decent selection of 7MM bullets for the .280 and figure I could use some with the 7X57.
What's a good factory load to try?
What bullet weights work well for deer?
What's your favorite handload for this caliber?
I know many here and elsewhere have spoken highly of this caliber and it's capabilities so this was a deciding factor in me wanting to give it a try.
I'll try to post some pictures later.
Thanks!
WFR

I am just getting into the 7X57 myself, but depending on throat length, I have been using 160 gr Sierra BTSP with good results. I have yet to shoot any game with it, tho....
160 gr sounds big! Will it stabilize the 139gr Hornady rounds and the Speer 140's?
47grs H4350 and 154gr Hornady.

49grs H4350 and 140gr Nosler Partition.

It shoots a 7mm bullet at decent velocity, as such it will kill about like any other 7mm shooting a 7mm bullet.
P.S. What bullets work good on deer for you from your 280? The same will work good on deer from your 7x57.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
P.S. What bullets work good on deer for you from your 280? The same will work good on deer from your 7x57.

This is why I was hoping I could use the Hornady 139gr.
What kind of game have you used the 7X57 to take?
I'm thinking a Leupold VXII 2-7X33 will work fine for the distances I will be using it.
You might have a long throat in the early 80's model. It might shoot the longer bullets better.
With the 139 Hornady, I'd go H-4350 with around 48-50 grains.
My 7X57 Mnt Rifle likes 50 grns of H-4350 pushing 145grn Grand Slams.
What would the going rate be for a rifle like I just picked up?

The 7x57 with 140 grain bullets is a good combo. We use 140 grain Nosler Partitions in ours, with enough Deer kills to prove the combo works. But, other bullet weights should work as well.
I have some old Barnes 190 grain bullets I'm working on now, in the 7x57.
I have had several, steel bottomed HVAs, Brno ZKK-600s and fice Brno 21Hs, this is a SUPERB cartridge, among the BEST for serious hunting anywhere.

I use 140NPs over 48-H-4350 and this will do anything you want, some chambers will take more, some a bit less. If, you WANT more bullet weight, go with a 175NP over RE-22 or H-4831SC, Winchester or Norma brass and a mag. primer.

The old 7 Mauser and the almost as hoary 9.3x62 Bock-Mauser are STILL among the most useful HUNTING cartridges out there, just easy to shoot, accurate and powerful enough. I am using both more and more and bigger blasters less and less.
This is my first Ruger 77 (own several Rem 700's).
Should the rings be the same height?
One is noticably taller than the other.
Thanks!

Lots of great input so far.
I have had great luck with RL-19 and a Hornady 162grain SST in both of my Rugers(#1 & M77).
From both of the 22" barrels they get over the chronograph at 2640fps.

Works fine on Black Bear,White-tail,Mule Deer and three Moose.

Mike
Congrats. on your 7X57.

I would REALLY like to have one of those, especially a Ruger tang safety.

Enjoy!
smile cool
WFR,

My brother has that exact rifle. The rings should be standard Ruger rings that came with the rifle new, but can't say what you got.

My dad loaded for my brother's 7x57, and I've looked at the data, but can't recall it exactly. Steelheads numbers look about righ with H4350 which is the powder my dad used with 140s...and it runs them @3000fps. Factory loads, for the most part will be weak. You can run that Ruger 7x57 pretty good with handloads. 140s up to 3000fps, 150s/154s up to 2850, 160s up to 2700 or so. Plenty 'nuff for deer and even elk from what I hear. I always thought I'd run 154RNs over some dose of H4350 @2800 or so if I had me a 7x57, which I plan to have in the near future.

My brother's required some bedding with front end pressure to get to shoot, but it shoots very well. Trigger job too.

Good luck.
I have that same rifle. It is a long throated thing. I've shot 140 and 160's out of mine. It will do around 1 1/4 inch groups with the 140's and a tad better with the 160's.
I loaded with 4350 and never got the 3000 level. In my rifle, the 140's would do between 2800 and 2900 fps.
I own other rifles that I use more these days, but I still like that Ruger 7X57. It now has a McMillan handle and a Leupie 6X42 scope on it and I'm thinking about using it more seriously again. I'm getting tired of loud hard recoiling rifles. The 7X57 always killed stuff dead and I think I need to use it more.

Good luck with yours.
BTW- The rings are two different heights to accomodate different heights on the action.
The 7X57 is a great round. It wouldn't still be chambered after a 100 plus year if it wasn't. I use it on deer. The 120 grain bullet in front of IMR 4895 is more accuate than I ever thought of being and drops deer dead.
Originally Posted by WFR
160 gr sounds big! Will it stabilize the 139gr Hornady rounds and the Speer 140's?

You will forsake other options when you experience the gentle tap and mild report that makes big animals fall over.

AGW
Originally Posted by Daveh
BTW- The rings are two different heights to accomodate different heights on the action.

Now that I look at it I see the height difference. Thanks!
You guys have me really pumped about this rifle!
I'd still like to know if I got a good deal or not so if anyone can give me a ballpark idea on value it would be appreciated.
Maybe I can get some pics up tomorrow.
I NEED to get my RCBS set up soon.
WFR
The 139 Hornadys are all I've loaded for mine, and a buncha one shot kills later, see no need to change.
I'm not sure what they are worth right now. I paid 300 a number of years ago and wouldn't take 500 for it now.

Another thing I like about the older Rugers is the bluing. It's as good as it gets. Polished well and very deep bluing. Those older Rugers have a very classic look to them that I really like.
140 grain Partitions for deer and antelope, 160 grain Partitions for elk, Bighorn, moose, etc. Kills em Black Flag dead. smile

Wayne
I'd look to 140 gr Barnes TSX. Use em in my 280, 284 and 7/08 (a close cousin to 7x57) with outstanding results.
The cartridge has a fine reputation built on 175 grain bullets, at around 2400 fps. Great penetration and good killing power on big critters. The modern loadings of 140 grain bullets can lead to some accuracy complications from bullet jump before the rifling is engaged. Give the old 175 grain loads a try. You might like them.
You asked about factory loads. Federals are very weak, in my BRNO 22f they clock only 2400 fps for the 140 gr. PSP and 2200 fps for the 175RN. Remington factory 140's are a bit better at 2500 fps. I just bought a box of Norma 156 gr. Oryx, I hear they are loaded closer to the round's potential but I have not shot them yet.
The one handload i've developed for mine uses a 160 gr. Speer GS and H4350 at just over 2500 fps. I think that's a nice combination.
I have a SS lefty Model 70 being re-barreled with a Pac Nor tube in 7X57 right now! I can't wait to get this rifle built! I will be loading the 120-140 TSX for anything that walks in N.A.. The 120 Nosler ballistic tip will also get a good workout as well.....grin I am having my PTG reamer custom spec'd to eliminate the long throat.
THAT sounds very nice indeed, Huntr!
How soon until you will be shooting it? cool
Hopefully I will have it back next week! Redneck, here on the campfire is building this one for me. My 3rd rifle he has built for me this year......and, it won't be the last he see's from me! The man knows the Model 70!
That is sweet!
I would like to have a 7X57 as well as a 9.3X62 built on an M70 action, probably a Classic-I don't know diddly about P64s.
Ah well, maybe someday.
smile
Everyone should have at least two 7X57s. They are very needful. grin

I like the 150 grainers the best myself. It shoots great in my two. smile

[Linked Image]
Purdy sticks there Larry. The Mannlicher style is right up my alley. I'd like a shot of the buttplate and muzzlecap if you are willing. Heck, I'll take a bunch of closeups. I'm thinking my #1 RSI in the aforementioned caliber could use a makeover.
Larry,

Two beautiful rifles!!!
You have great taste.

Don
Larry, those are CLASSY looking rifles!
I also like your choice in scopes.
I prefer the lower power scopes and really like the Leupold VXII 2-7X33 on my big game guns.
Larry,
Those are beauties!
Here's a picture of the Ruger without the rings:
[Linked Image]
First, get the back issue of Handloader 246 Apr-May 2007. JB did a great article on handloading the 7x57.

Your throat geometry will have a huge impact on bullet selection. For example my FN Venezuelan has not been able to touch lands with 120 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and still keep servicable neck tension. OTOH, the "blunter" ogive of the 120 TSX has hit a sweet spot that lets me use a 99% full case of R15 and still stay 50 thou off the lands.

For cup and core bullets I LOVE the 7mm 139gr Hornady SP (Flat Base Interlock). Truly a great bullet. Have had excellent results with H4350. Am currently comparing/contrasting it with Ramshot Hunter.

Loading the 7x57 is an interesting challenge given the conservative book data.

GE
I like the idea of a 7x57 in the Ruger No.1-A, but it seems best to not expect super accuracy out of them. I like iron sights, anyway, and it seems you can find nice used ones for $450 to $500, which seems resasonable.
WFR - The 7x57mm has been my all-time favorite cartridge ever since I first heard about it from Outdoor Life and Jack O. My first one was a tang safety Ruger Model 77, my second was a Ruger Mark II, I replaced that with another Mark II and now, I own a CZ 550 American in 7x57mm. I shoot nothing but 160 grain Nosler Partitions and 162 grain Hornady SSTs over H414. The CZ has the long, very long in fact, throat on it and I load so the bullets' ogive is .15 off the lands. This means the bullets are seated way out there. I have slightly less than one caliber in the neck of the Remington cases. My SSTs measure something like 3.295 inches OAL. My load is 48.3 grains of powder fired by Federal 210 primers. With this load I chronographed it in New Mexico when I lived there and it measured 20 shot string average of 2,815 fps. That was at 8,000 feet elevation. In El Paso, at my brother's home, the same load measured 2,784 fps. El Paso was at 4,400 feet or something like that. I have used that combo on whitetail deer in Texas, wild hogs in Texas, Elk in New Mexico and Colorado, antelope in Wyoming, mule deer in New Mexico. I even used it on a wild turkey with a head shot in Texas where shooting turkey with a rifle is okay. With the SSTs my group averages off sandbag rests have been .461 inch three-shot group and .540 groups with the partitions. By the way, all of the animals I hunted, with the exception of one hog, were one shot kills. I popped a 5x5 bull broadside at 325 yards into the boiler room with the partition and it was not a bang-flop, but at the shot he hunched slightly, took a couple of steps backwards, sat on his butt like a big puppy dog and then fell over dead. The hog was shot with a killing shot the first time, but I put another round into him when he moved. The cartridge is fantastic. I did have to bed my Ruger rifles, but I did not have a pressure point in the forearm area. The barrels were freefloated. Good luck with your rifle and that wonderful little 7x57mm. Tom Purdom
Thanks Tom!
A few more questions:
What is a decent factory load to try so I'll have some brass to reload, Hornady?
Also, what's the preferred brass to reload with?
What's the best online place to order reloading supplies?
What's the best dies for rifle reloading?
I have a RCBS Rockchucker Supreme reloading kit that I haven't opened yet.
I think I'm going to start my reloading this winter with 7X57/.280 (have 7MM bullets and .280 dies already) and .375 Win (have brass already).
Thanks for all the help and advice.
WFR
Originally Posted by WFR
Thanks Tom!
A few more questions:
What is a decent factory load to try so I'll have some brass to reload, Hornady?
I think I'm going to start my reloading this winter with 7X57/.280 (have 7MM bullets and .280 dies already) and .375 Win (have brass already).
WFR

You wanna know the meaning of life too? laugh
Originally Posted by .280Rem
Originally Posted by WFR
Thanks Tom!
A few more questions:
WFR

You wanna know the meaning of life too? laugh

Now that is funny!
Nah, got that figured out!
Hey, I shoot a .280 so I can't be too bad off!
The first factory load I would try is the Sellier & Bellot.
Originally Posted by WFR
Here's a picture of the Ruger without the rings:
[Linked Image]

Nice rifle. My cousin has the same one and I've seen it in action pulling the rug out from under a bull caribou and bull moose. The rifle shoots little groups with just about anything he feeds it.
WFR:You are more than welcome. Many of the factory loadings are loaded down to compensate for the older military rifles. Hornady has a lite mag loading with is supposed to scoot along at 2,800 or so in the 139 grain offering. If you are trying to build up brass, then I would recommend buying in bulk. I buy Remington basically because it is not too expensive, though the price of brass and other reloading components seems to have hiked considerably in the past couple of years. What you want to try to avoid is mixing brass, say Remington and Winchester, or Hornady and Remington. Different makes have different inside diameters and when put together will react differently in some rifles. To avoid any confusion, just start with a 100 piece bag of brass. I buy my reloading stuff from Graf & Sons in Mexico, Mo., and Midway, in Columbia, Mo., primarily because I used to live in Mexico when I was a newspaper reporter there. As far as dies, I use the Forster Ultra Bench Rest two die set. I have used Hornady dies, Lee dies, RCBS dies, but I like the Forster dies. The seating die has a seating depth guide which makes changing the seating depth as easy as turning a wheel. These will set you back about $80-$85 for the set. There are better dies out there and the prices reflect it too. It sounds like your reloading kit is as good as you will need. Make sure to get at least three reloading manuals. I like Hornady, Lyman and Nosler. I have others too, such as Speer, Lee and even a book by P.O. Ackley with tons of reloading stuff in it, but a lot of that is really hot. You might also get a good dial caliper and a micrometer. Lastly, to really open your eyes at your actual velocities, you might consider getting a refurbished shooting chrony chronograph. These units are about half of the cost of a new one and generally go for about $65. That chrony deal should be down the road a bit until you are completely comfortable with reloading. Well, I'm certain others will have additional comments on equipment such as better brass and the like. I hope this helps ... Tom Purdom
My favorite 7x57 load with my Ruger RSI (Ruger #1 International) with it's full-length Mannlicher-style stock is 50.0 grains of H4350, a 140 grain Nosler Partition Bullet and a standard Winchester large rifle primer with the bullet seated out to a maximum overall length (case & bullet) of 3.065 inches which is the standard overall length for this cartridge.

The combination should give you 2800+ fps using a 140 grain Nosler Partition and excellent accuracy (an inch or less 3-shot groups at 100 yards)... and would be a DEADLY combination on any non-dangerous game in the world with proper bullet placement.

With a Sectional Density of .238 assuring deep penetration (especially with the Nosler Partition) and an excellent Ballistic Coefficient of .434, this load seems to be "THE" perfect hunting load for my Ruger RSI... and should yield excellent results in your Ruger 77, Mark II as well. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
I have had great results with my 7x57 using 140 grain Nosler Partitions and RL19 powder. The 7x57 is one of my favorite whitetail cartridges and the Model 77 is a fine rifle. I think you did real well! Every hunter ought to have at least one good 7x57.
We have a pre-warning 77 from about 1974 (I think) and it has a fairly long throat. Factory Hornady 139 gr loads don't shoot very well and neither do handloaded short bullets we have tried like the 120 gr Sierra (or surprisingly the 120 gr TSX). BUT the 140 gr Accubond with 50 gr H4350 loaded within about .015 of the lands shoots 2 1/2" at 200 yds and flattens deer.
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
I have had great results with my 7x57 using 140 grain Nosler Partitions and RL19 powder. The 7x57 is one of my favorite whitetail cartridges and the Model 77 is a fine rifle. I think you did real well! Every hunter ought to have at least one good 7x57.

Agree. My two boys started out the Deer hunting careers with 7x57's, and still use them. Other than me fooling around with the heavy Barnes bullets in 7mm, we've been locked into the 140 grain NP's. That bullet is just great. I'm seriously looking into getting another 7x57 in a Ruger Model 77. I've got three Model 77's now, and all shoot far better than I could have hoped for. And, I do like the lines and overall looks of that rifle.
© 24hourcampfire