Home
If I'm posting too much, just ignore this. The weather is truly crappy today and I'm stuck inside all day with my kids while my wife gets to leave... got nothing better to do.

This subject gets beat to death, but I'm trying to take it to the Nth degree by narrowing it to one load.

I'll go with 30-06 and a 165-gn TSX at 2950 fps. Make mine a M700 rifle and a 2.5x8 Loopy scope. This is a rifle I could see hunting into my 80's with- in terms of recoil and kill-everything effectiveness, etc.

The irony of choosing a caliber over 100 years old does not escape me!

If anyone else is as bored as I am today... chime in! The rest of ya'll, just ignore it...

-jeff
Very close to yours, 3006, left hand savage 110 synthetic stock, 3x9x40 nikon monarch, but I would go with a 180 nosler partition, my own handload, remington brass, 9 1/2 primer and 55 grains IMR 4350.

Wait a minute I already have this setup that I have used for 16 years that shoots 3/4 inch at 100 yards, why do I have all these other rifles?

Daddy Rat
Jeff,

I'd take my Swede M38 Husqvarna Mauser 24" barrel, 8#s..:)( mil config) in 6,5x55, 140 gr Sierra BTSP, 2550 FPS.

Vintage Weaver 4X fixed steel solid tube, Warne QD mounts and Brownell's Prec Plus shooting sling.
That's IF there was one and only one..:) Jim
CZ 550 9.3x62, 286gr Nosler Partition in Nosler Custom Ammunition, Leupold 2.5x compact.
Make mine a Winchester 300 RUM. 180-grain TSX. For a scope, Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40.
Mine will be a 300RUM also. M700, 168TSX, Leupold VX III, 4.5 - 14 x 40 (B&C reticle of course), Boyds JRS in pepper laminate, With a Sims pad, and a Harris UltraLight.

Oh wait, I've already got one...
All this gun talk, I better take mine out for a walk tomorrow...I think it wants to kill something...
Tikka T3 SS, .308, Hornady interbond 180 gr, Zeiss 2,5-10x42.
ruger no 1 in .280 with a 3-9x40 4200 elite, or sightron S2 or Leupold VX-II. you get the idea.
One more please. Sako 85 SS .375 HH, Nosler Accubond 260 gr,Zeiss 2,5-10x42.
I would have chosen a magnum, probably .338 WM, but I worry that the recoil (which is a non-issue for me now in life) might someday become a problem... So I went with something potent yet still manageable.

Jim, do you use a Sierra on elk?

-jeff
Rem 700 300win Leupy 4.5-14 180gr TSX
If I had to choose one from my collection, it would be my customized .280 Remington shooting 140 accubonds through it's bombproof B&L 3-9x40. I trust it completely, and with todays amazing bullets, it could easily be the ultimate for me.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Jeff_Olsen

I'll go with 30-06 and a 165-gn TSX at 2950 fps. Make mine a M700 rifle and a 2.5x8 Loopy scope. This is a rifle I could see hunting into my 80's with- in terms of recoil and kill-everything effectiveness, etc.

-jeff

X1 grin
I have the M700 100yr Aniv. 30-06, 2.5-8 Luppy B&C, Ti BDL Stock and It's in a class of it's own.
Depop: Nice "chhip!"

This is my choice, probably because I've owned and used it since the late 60's and it gives me great confidence. With the new bullet options we have today, it's an even better choice these days.

Remodeled Rem 700 in .270 win, now wearing a 2.5x8 Leupold.
[Linked Image]

Those gun bearers are all grown up now. BT
Originally Posted by vacrt2002

-jeff

X1 grin
I have the M700 100yr Aniv. 30-06, 2.5-8 Luppy B&C, Ti BDL Stock and It's in a class of it's own.

I will take my 06 in a hawkeye with a Mcmillian stock and the 2.5-8 lupie. The load is the same, 165 TSX
I will list what I currently own and consider a "hunt the world" rig. It would be my 338 Win Mag. It is a Howa M1500 w/Bell and Carlson tan & black web stock (same style as Wby Vanguard MOA models). It wears the Leupold FX-II 6x36mm (I like fixed scopes, my 308 Win wears the FX-II 4x33mm). World class loading would be Barnes TSX or XLC in 225gr at 2,850 fps. Not much you can't do with that as .33 bullets fly a long way, all you have to do is get them started.
I'm already in this boat wink , but I use a Ruger MKII ss/lam in 338 Win Mag with a Loopy 3-9X40. The load is one Mule Deer has talked about here a bit; 65gr R15, 210gr Partition, in win brass sparked by Fed 215M primers. Though I haven't tallied up as many critters as some, its never not worked. Here's a few pics of it's 'victims' from this year:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
there in no one rifle. There is no one bullet for that rifle. There is no one load for that rifle or bullet. this kind of thread is getting to be a bore.
.270 NULA. 140 gr Accubond. swaro 3x9x40. what? that was easy.
I am currently putting together a stainless MRC in 300 Win Mag. It will wear a McMillan stock and a Zeiss conquest scope in the 3-10x44 range. I plan to shoot the 180 grain TSX. This combo should handle everything I can hunt today (I won't carry it for varmits of course). Someday, when I get rich, I will need a something bigger for the dangerous game, but until then this gun will get a lot of use for general purpose hunting.
Jeff got it right. 30-06 with 165 grains of lead. Wood/Blue Sako topped with a 3x9 x40 (or the x8 he mentioned)is all you need. My gun collection keeps shrinking and is coming down to this rifle I describe.
Interesting to see how many people are choosing the Accubond! I love 'em, and in fact my "main" 30-06 load is a 165-gn AB at 2940 fps, but I chose the 165 TSX for my "one load" just because it gets such good press in these parts as a penetrator without fail...

Part of me is still thinking .338 and a 225-gn Accubond, which I also happen to have in the safe, but while it's a wonderful caliber, it's more gun than I'd like to use for, say, 100-lb blacktail deer.

I did forget to mention that my 2.5x8 would have the B&C reticle, which works really well from what I've seen so far!

-jeff
Originally Posted by MickinColo
there in no one rifle. There is no one bullet for that rifle. There is no one load for that rifle or bullet. this kind of thread is getting to be a bore.

Mick, you must have missed the "just ignore it" memo! :-)

Actually, for some guys, it actually is a valid question. My brother, for instance. He's not gonna buy another big game rifle; not that he needs to since I bought him a 30-06! Or my buddy Mark who is presently saving for his first, one rifle. It will be a fairly big deal for him financially. I'm recommending he go 30-06 since he wants to hunt elk, too. Guys like that, as opposed to gun nerds like us... it's a valid question.

-jeff
Any rifle that shoots sub 1 inch groups
.280 Remington
150 grain partition
Leupold 6x42
I need to peep through one of them 6x42's sometime...

-jeff
I'll take a tang safety Ruger M77 in .270 Win - 130 grain TSX at 3,100 fps with a Leupold 3-9x VariX II.
Pre-64 Model 70 Supergrade 300 Win Mag topped off with a Meopta Meostar R1 4-12x40 shooting 165 grain Hornady Interbonds.
i read some sales figures a few weeks back which confirm the stats i read in an article (a survey of folks who hunt) in either field and stream or outdoor life maybe a year ago.

number one rifle - remington model 700 (by a very large margin)
number one caliber - 30-06 (by an even larger margin)
most popular scope (read as best selling) - 3x9x40
caliber is .30 obviously
load - which ever shoots best in that rifle - i suspect most folks just get a box of either corelokts or power points from their local sporting goods store.
Ruger M77 (or Win M70) in 30-06 with 4X Leupold M8 or Burris Fullfield. For bullets, a 180 grain Hornady or Partition - they both go the same way.
People sure like those Interlocks. I have to say they've done well for me from my .358, but that's my only experience with 'em.

So they are as reliable as a Partition?

-jeff
300 Winchester Magnum in a Model 70 with weaver rings and bases.
Leupold 4X with dot recticle
180 grain bullets at 2960 fps.

Nuff said.
1976 Ruger M77 7mm RM wearing a McMillan stock, Timney trigger, 2.5-8 VXIII shooting 160 NP's.

Man I so love this gun.

Jason
30-06 Win Model 70 SS FW,
2.5-8x36 Leupy
Iron sights
180 NPT 57 H4350
Decelerator pad
Spare 4x Weaver in rings.

Taverner, hey there! You are just up the road from me. I can see the stacks of the paper mill at Albany from where I shoot...

I bet that 7mm pokes loooong holes in just about anything!

-jeff
Jeff..In a matter of hours..I have changed my mind..:)

It's the Savage M99 lever action..
Chambered in .300 Savage..

165 gr Speer GS...(Old bullet tech..:)
2500 FPS MV..MOA to 250 yards withe Rel 15..)

Model 99R, 24" barrel..i950 something....:)
Had it and hunted it awhile..

Lyman 2.5X Alaskan scope..and shooting sling..
Fun topic..Every day is different..Jim
CZ 550 in 6.5x55, Leupold 6x42, 125 grain partition.

Here's my "ultimate" rifle:

Commercial Mauser 98 with Double Square Bridge in 8x68S

Pac-Nor barrel, #5 contour

Meopta Artemis 2100 3-12x50

220-gr. Swift A-Frame over VV N-165

Originally Posted by jim in Oregon
Jeff..In a matter of hours..I have changed my mind..:)

It's the Savage M99 lever action..
Chambered in .300 Savage..

165 gr Speer GS...(Old bullet tech..:)
2500 FPS MV..MOA to 250 yards withe Rel 15..)

Model 99R, 24" barrel..i950 something....:)
Had it and hunted it awhile..

Lyman 2.5X Alaskan scope..and shooting sling..
Fun topic..Every day is different..Jim

""Todays"" rifle flavor is my pre 64 model 70 in .338, topped with a 2.5x8 leupold and runnin Hornaday .225's...

And yes Jeff, Hornadays rock. They are my "go to" bullet for any rifle when I first start to load for it. I wish they would make a 225gr for the .35 calibers...it's all our .358's would ever need..IMO..BT
It's neat to see all the Loopy 2.5x8's turning up. My favorite scope, at least as far as scopes I afford to own several of. I'm sure there's better.. but for $350, they rock!

Here's a silly Hornady question. I don't see the words "interlock" on a lot of the SP's they sell. Are they all interlocks? I just bought a box of 195-gn Hornady's to mess with in my .325 WSM and they don't say nuthin' bout no Interlock...

-jeff
Jeff- I am pretty darn sure they're interlocks then.

That 195 Horn will be a lights out shooter I'm for betting!

Bet it'd be hell on game as well.

My lil "fat bastid" (338 wsm) just shoots big time bug holes with the 200 Horny and so did my OKH and my 340.

Dober
You still have the fat bastid, Mark?

I just bought the Hornady's to approximate the ballistics of the 200 TSX. I can't afford, in reality or emotionally, to toss $1 bullets at my steel plates in any quantity! :-) They do seem to shoot, so far. Only taken them up the once and just had 6 of them loaded up... but they shot well.

That said... the Hornady Interlock sure seems to be a reliable bullet from what everyone says. I may have to consider it as an actual game bullet for the .325... deer? Bear? So it'll hold up and exit?

I think JB (Mule Deer) calls them the "poor man's Partition".

-jeff
[quote=pointer]
[Linked Image]

Pointer, it's obvious to anyone who's been around here for very long what a good bloke you are but I've gotta say a St.Louis Cardinals hat in camo ices the deal!

Where'd you get that cap? Gotta get one for myself and for my son...
BTW, nice goat too grin
"One rifle... one scope...one caliber...one load..."

A tang safety Ruger M77 in 7mm Rem Mag, 160g Grand Slam and a Bushnell Sportview 3x9 was exactly that for me for many years.

The scope is long gone and the Grand Slams, although I have still have some loaded, have been replaced by 160g and 140g North Fork bullets. (Oops, that's two loads. Oh, well, that's the way it is.)

Fortunately it is NOT my only rifle these days.
For anything except big bears (in a pinch it would kill them, too)M70, 7mm Remington Mag, 160 Bitterroot or Nosler Partition; 4X Leupold.
I was tempted to say the T/C Encore with umpteen barrels. Leagally it would only be one gun. But in the spirit of the question for me it would be my .375 with it's 3X9 Leupold. I currently shoot the 270 gr. Speer BTSP over 70 gr of IMR 4064 in a WW case and ignited by a Fed 215M primer.

If this was truely a one load situation I would change the load to the TSX moving out @ about 2800 fps. It would handle anything on this planet from varmints (you ought to see what the .375 does to prairie dogs) to elephants.
sako .270 finnlight, in mcmillan edge stock, 3x9x40 leupy LRD, 140 accubonds.Then again I do have the same set-up in 30'06 mmmm
Winchester Model 70 Classic in 375H&H re-chambered to 375 AI or WBY. Serengetti laminated stock, cerrocoated, Burris 2-10 x44 30mm tube EuroDiamond Posi Lock scope in dual dovetail bases with Signature posi align rings. 270TSX,s all the way and fir everything.
Part of the problem with the topic is that we don't know where this magic rifle, scope,and load are to be used.The 375 is the clear winner globally....
Thanks for the 'props' on the hat! I recieved that one as a gift and it's made by Twin Enterprise. However, if you google 'Camo Cardinals Hat' there are plenty of other options out there.

Without going custom here's what I'd pick "over the counter":

Sako 75 stainless/synthetic in .300 Win Mag

S&B Klassik scope 3-12X42mm

Federal Premium 180 grain Triple Shocks
Thanks!
Here is mine, Remington XCR accurized 338RUM with 210gr TSXs. Burris Full Field II Ballistic plex 4.5-14-44 or 42 I can't remember. This will kill anything that walks. For me anyway. HAPPY HUNTING
Jeff:

You and I must shoot at the same place south of Albany. I am going to start shooting again once the late bow seasons end. I am going to try a few new loads out in the 7MM.

Jim in oregon:

Since you got to change your mind, than so shall I:)

Browning BAR Safari 3006 180grn NP, Nikon Monarch 3-9x40.
Taverner, maybe! I go up Fisk off Poodle Creek Road, out of Elmira or Noti... you can also get there from the other side of the mtns coming up off Hwy 36 below Triangle Lake. It's a neat informal 100-yard range, two of them actually, in old quarry's. Then, I've got a long-range steel plate course all set up nearby out to 650 yards or so.

The 'stacks are off in the distance, mind you. Probably 25-30 miles away.

-jeff
I'm stickin' with the good ol 30-06...

Hey Brad, did you get a chance yet to see how the "little" .308 works on elk?

-jeff
Today's answer is this:

If I were going to stick with just one rifle for all of my mule deer, blacktail, elk, whitetail, Coues deer, pronghorn, sheep, goat, moose, grizzly, black bear, feral hog, and African plainsgame hunting for the rest of my career, I'd go with my custom 300 Win. Mag. that's built on a Model 70 action with a light 24" Kreiger bbl., McMillan stock, and a Leica 3.5-10x scope on top - a rig with which I've killed much big game in a number of states and several foreign countries. Load: 180 gr. Nosler Partition Protected Point handloaded to right at 3100 fps. and zeroed for 250 yds., which in my experience has been proven good for everything from Texas whitetails to Cape eland.

AD

How many of you are using a fancy-pants reticle in your scopes? Have not seen that mentioned. I'm transitioning over to the B&C... seems to work fabu!

-jeff
I have TRIED, LORD, Yea, I HAVE tried!!!!!

But, this makes me ill and I can't do it!!!

Having ruthlessly pared down my gun collection while buying only two guns this year has been a horrific experience, but, I done �r. Yet, I simply CANNOT part with anything else and still go to gunstores, all too often....but, skipped the two-day gunshow this weekend!

If, I HAD to do ti, one of my P-64 Mod. 70 Alaskans, in a synthetic stock with a Zeiss 4x plus QD mounts and "peep-sourdough"irons would be it. The caliber is .338WM, using 250NPs and 250SGKs at 2800.

I have an identical P-64 Fwt., .30-06 if this became too heavy or the recoil too harsh....maybe a better over-all choice, anyway.

One rifle...GAG!!!! smile
Currently, my Weatherby Mk5 Ultralight in 280Rem with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 using 140gr TSX. I have a couple of other ideas for rifles swimming around in my head too.
Originally Posted by kutenay

One rifle...GAG!!!! smile

Well, DUH! :-)

-jeff
Jeff:

I am shooting at the Albany Gun club. I havent been down to the range you talked about.

I keep thinking about trying one of the fancy recticles but havent gotten too excited yet. I am currently deciding whether or not to send my 2.5-8 into Leupold for a TT. Not sure if I want to spend 80.00 for it to be installed though.

Just put a Stoney Point turret on it- I've got two 2.5x8's set up that way. They are half that price and much smaller. With either one, it's just turning the slot screw in the scope, anyway...

I will say, after messing with both, both work, but for 500 yards on in the reticle is superior. If for no other reason then that it doesn't involve ratcheting your "zero" up and down. That disturbs me. The two 2.5x8's I have the SP turrets on have both tracked reasonably well, but I have seen my 100-yard zero wander a little with lots of crankin' up and down. The reticle eliminates moving parts, which is nice.

The reticles cast $150 though (!) to get installed... I'll have one put in at least one more of my scopes this winter.

-jeff
I won't use turrets for any sort of big game hunting, and with one exception, all of my scopes feature Leupold's standard Duplex reticle. For big game hunting, it's always best to keep things as rigid, unchanging, simple, practical, and fool-proof as possible.

On my 338 Win. Mag., I have a Leupold 2.5-8x Vari-X III, and for that scope I had Premier Reticles install a single 400 yd. stadia wire (calibrated for the 250 gr. Nosler Partition @ 2735 fps. MV). With the main DuPlex reticle zeroed for 200 yds. that stadia wire is dead-on a 400, and it's close enough to work well with 210 gr. and 225 gr. loads as well.

That's as complicated as I go, although one of my hunting partners has been working with Leupold's B&C reticle and he loves it - says it works perfectly and as-advertised..........

AD
Originally Posted by allenday
That's as complicated as I go, although one of my hunting partners has been working with Leupold's B&C reticle and he loves it - says it works perfectly and as-advertised..........

AD

It seems to work great on my .338, that's for sure. It has a side bonus of being more visible in really low light than the standard duplex, too...

-jeff
Mine is a Sauer 202 Outback in 270 WCF topped with a Swarovski A series 3-9x36mm in low Leupold PWR rings. My load is 57 grs IMR 7828SSC, Federal GM210M primer, behind a 150 gr Speer Hot Cor.
Allen,
I'd have to go with my 300 Win, not a custom just a CDL in McMillan Classic with a 3.5-10x40 VariXIII. 180 grain Partitions all the way. I've been messing with two 2.5-8 vxiii's with the B&C reticle. I hunted with them all season one on a TI 300saum and the other on a mdl Seven 7saum. I must say I really like both rifles, but I'm too attached to the 3 Win Mag.
.338WM for me, but why limiting this rifle to one load?

An all around load for me is with a 225-grain TSX, but I also carry some rounds loaded with 275-grain A-Frame just in case.
I was gonna make a smartass remark about "in case of WHAT... T-Rex?" But I know them grizzlies are a mite... intimidating!

-jeff
I would have to say my 338-06 with the 210 Nosler Partition. This bullet shoots well in my gun. I also like the 180 AB's but as for 1 load the 210 is a little slower but will do everything. As for a scope, Leupold 2x7
Allen: I have a confession........I bought a 2.5-8 last week with a B&C Reticle shocked crazy

It isn't mounted on anything yet......maybe there is hope.

The Campfire is a bad influence............................ eek
I drooled all over a 2.5-8x36 VX-III the other day in hopes that they would tell me it was roont and I could have it for a discount price --- no deal. The nerve of them! grin
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Allen: I have a confession........I bought a 2.5-8 last week with a B&C Reticle shocked crazy

Plus one to THAT!

Seriously. The Campfire is a significant economic engine!

Some things the Campfire has sold me, or at least contributed heavily in the decision process:

Barnes TSX bullets;

Stoney Point turrets;

B&C reticle in my scopes;

Kimber Montana Rifle;

My Reliable wall tent;

... and I'm sure there's more. This would make a good thread in it's own right... someone start it up! I've started too many lately.

-jeff

-jeff
Don't forget the Camo-STL Cardinals hat...
:-) Exactly.

We are all that's keeping the economy afloat, peoples!

(Get that thing sided and painted, Brad? I think your prayers for the snow to hold off, have offset Dober's prayers for snow! You guys are cancelling each other out.)

-jeff
Originally Posted by BobinNH

The Campfire is an evil site...I have gone down to a one rifle battery (Sako 85 30-06 & Leupold FXIII 6x42), but I don't think that is going to last long. I really want a 25-06 and 338-06.
OK, here's mine.

Serengeti 6.5x284 Norma. That's a MRC barreled action fitted into a laminated AA walnut stock fashioned with a straight classic butt stock, a European-styled open grip and a trim tapered fore-end ending in a schnable tip. The metal is finished in flat black Serecote. The one load would be a 130 TSX sighted with a Kahles 3x9x42 TDS.

I actually bought it as my one rifle alternative, but just don't have the heart to tell the others yet. That may take some time.
Ha! Like me with the .325 WSM Kimber.... damn thing could replace 'em ALL!

-jeff
A remington 700 270 with a 2 X 7 leupold scope, and 150 gr. bullets. Kills everything I need to shoot.
I was gonna make a smartass remark about "in case of WHAT... T-Rex?" But I know them grizzlies are a mite... intimidating!

-jeff

I am just a big chicken in bear country smile
Jeff, I've got around 3.5 days of clapboard siding left and then need 3 days for paint where the temps don't dip below freezing... we'll probably get that at some point.

Me, I'm pooped. over 25 days without a day off what with racing winter. I elk hunted one day, the opener, did 10+ miles, tracked two different bulls and found a nice six point as I was hiking out in the evening that was a 45 minute horrendous/vertical hike to get to... probably could have killed him but was too tired to give a flip!

Trust me, if I'm too tired to go kill a wide six point I'm tired!

I'm taking tomorrow off (going to turn my hat around and oversee plumber, ordering tile, working on cabinets... normal General Contractor stuff). Will hunt Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday-Sunday.

We'll see if I can get into elk like I did opening day...

Weather is turning with snow coming... should turn into dandy elk conditions even if it sucks for building... Dober gets his now, I'll get 60's in December grin
BTW, I own TWO centerfires... a 308 and 30-06.

My "One and Only" is the 30-06... SS M70 Fwt with Williams Extractor and Oberndorf Bottom Metal, McEdge, Talley LWT's, 6x36 Leupold LR, Uncle Mike's Mountain Sling. Comes in around 7.5 lbs all-up.

I have 7 lbs of the same lot of H4350, 1000 Federal 210's of the same lot, and 500 Nosler 180 Partitions of the same lot... they go 2,800 fps at 57.5 gr's H4350.

I think I've got the bases covered (grin).
Are you carrying your .308 this year? I forget, did you get rid of the '06 or just add to it with the .308? 165-gn TSX?

Building in bad weather is noooo fun. When I built my studio, which is just a 1100 ft/2 box on the outside, 10" ceilings, T-111 siding, etc... on a perimeter foundation that I also (over)built myself... I ALMOST got the roof on it before the rains came. Almost. Turns out almost only counts in hand grenades and horseshoes or some such; it was no fun from there out. At least the rain and cold kept the mosquitos down a little. That was a sick mosquito year.

I slimed the side of my finger off, with a framing hammer, trying to get a Tico nail through a joist hanger that was the wrong size nail for the hole. It's still numb 15 years later. That was in January, about 35 degrees out, and I wanted to bawl like a baby because I knew how much it was about to hurt!

My other career-worst experience in the building trades was working in finish carpentry on a McMansion in Houston in the summer. We had no AC yet as the home was not finished. I thought I was going to die a few times. The humidity was just brutal.

Anyway... presumably you'll be done with the outside stuff soon, at least, right?

-jeff
Originally Posted by Brad
Me, I'm pooped. over 25 days without a day off what with racing winter.

Damn Brad....You need a break buddy.

You're making me feel lazy. 5 days in a row and I'm wore out. The rush is certainly on though isn't it.

We're supposed to get a mild douching tomorrow so I might go on a one day strike and actually go hunting...
Jeff, one and only would be my trusty pre-64 264 westener with the V-7 weaver and 140 grn. I am lucky to say, it has never failed me and it has killed its fair share of deer, elk and bear in 40+ years.

Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Ruger M77 (or Win M70) in 30-06 with 4X Leupold M8 or Burris Fullfield. For bullets, a 180 grain Hornady or Partition - they both go the same way.

Boy, this is almost exactly what I would have to say. The model 70, preferably a pre-64, would be first choice but I could live with a M77 also. I have seen the 180 gr Partition at 2700 kill a pile of critters over the years. Ditto the Hornady.
Are you carrying your .308 this year? I forget, did you get rid of the '06 or just add to it with the .308? 165-gn TSX?

Jeff, the 308 is an addition to the 30-06... it runs a 150 TSX at 2,875.

Sam, I DO need a break!

Screw it... the house and the bank can wait. I'm going to do a little hunting this week.
Will you be carrying the .308 or '06?

Be curious how a 150 TSX performs on elk. No doubt it'll kill 'em; I wonder if you'll see an exit wound from a steep angle...

So it's up to you to find out for us! If you get a broadside shot, in the name of SCIENCE I implore you to hold off for a worse shot! :-)

Go get 'em...

-jeff
I will say, those damn Montana's sure mess with a guy's head! My .325 and a .308 and... wait! Stop! Don't go there!

-jeff
give me a 700 Ti in 308, Mcmillan Edge stock, Talley rings, Leupold VXII 2-7x33

Barnes 165 gr TSX @ 2700 fps
How come some of ya'll choose a Vx-II instead of VX-III?

-jeff
For me and one rifle (ain't never going to happen) omitting brown bear/griz.

REM 700 Mountain Rifle LSS
280 or 30-06
150gr or 165gr Partition respectively.
Leupy 2.5-8x36

RH
I'll go with 30-06 and a 165-gn TSX at 2950 fps. Make mine a M700 rifle and a 2.5x8 Loopy scope.
-jeff

Well, my boredom didn't kick-in 'til tonight, so here goes: I think yours is hard to beat. I'll just add my Ed Brown Savanna in 30-06 and maybe the Barnes 165gr MRX because it has the cool plastic blue tip! grin
Originally Posted by todbartell
give me a 700 Ti in 308, Mcmillan Edge stock, Talley rings, Leupold VXII 2-7x33

Barnes 165 gr TSX @ 2700 fps

There's just too much good sense in that configuration. Game over!
How come some of ya'll choose a Vx-II instead of VX-III?

-jeff

For me it's due to the fact that one is cheaper than the other and they do the same thing for my know-how.
Makes sense. When I was putting my brother's "one rifle" together for him (M700 30-06) I put a VX-1 2x7 on it. I have to admit, it was a perfectly good scope, and I also have to admit that I was trying to spend as little as possible while still getting him set up with a reliable package...

-jeff
Brno ZKK602, Nightforce NSX 2.5-10x24 FC-2, 375 H&H, 300gr Partition.
For me it's a M700 .300 Winmag, 25" barrel in LW contour, McEdge stock and a V-II 3-9 LR reticle. Could want for nothing more, though practicing that is another story.
Whip-add a Jewell and a Gentry 3 posi and I could love that rig. Fact is I do, that is about what my old 7 Mashburn is.

Dober
Mark,

Funny you should mention those things. Right, now I have left-handed Rem M700BDL in .270Win with McMillan classic stock, rifle-basix trigger w/ Gentry three position safety. I know alot of people don't care for my other addition, but I had a sako style extractor install as well.

Unfortunately, don't have a scope on it. Put it on my .223rem I want to use a walk-about varmit rifle. I don't know if I'd spend the extra $$$ on VXIII. Perhaps something in VXII either 6x36 or 3-9. Haven't settle on a single load yet, but if I had to choose, I'd go with 130gr Nosler partition.

Leo
Leo, sounds like a nice rig. Twer it me I'd stay with the VXII but get it with dots... IMO the absolute best value in a scope on the market. I've got one in 2-7, 3-9 and 6x.
Originally Posted by Brad
Leo, sounds like a nice rig. Twer it me I'd stay with the VXII but get it with dots... IMO the absolute best value in a scope on the market. I've got one in 2-7, 3-9 and 6x.

Big time ditto here!

Dober
My go-to rifle is my twenty year old Ruger 77 in 7mm RM with a 2.5-8 Vari-X III. My load (couldn't say how much without looking it up) is 4831 pushing a 150 grain X Bullet at 2900 fps (over the screens, not on paper.) Got others I could live with, but experience has given me a very high confidence factor with this outfit.
Brad and Mark,

Thank you for the compliments. As to scope, my rimfire has a Leupie 3-9EFR, got Leupie VXIII 3.5-10 on .223rem. Not sure if I should just stay with 3-9 (VXII) or 6x36 FXII. (You can tell the 'Campfire has been an influence w/ scopes!)

Do you like the LR dots on VXII?

Leo
Those are the dotz we're talking about.

Once you go dotz you'll never go back!

Dober
I was out shooting my M70 FWT 270WCF yesterday at paper, set up at 300yds(the only range in my area with a bench goes to only 200) and put 4 130gr partitions into one inch , using my backpack as a rest...
OF course, even a 'blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally' but I was still happy. grin
I think I have my one gun one load deal already.
wink
Tim,

Damn! That's good shooting!!!! Thinking I got try those 130 grain partitions. My rifle shoots both the 130gr and 150 gr accurately. Not to the same poi, but each is accurate if I communicated that effectively?

Leo
Well Well
If I could only have one rifle It would have to be my latest buy. A Ruger MkII in 257 Roberts. I have a lot of big boomers and some fast flyers and I was getting gun shy and developed a horrific flinch, forgetting all I ever knew about shooting. Ihave fallen in love again and the minimal recoil and report has got me believing in myself again. That is the untechnical why of my choice
Mark,

Those dots you're talking about. Those are the ones in LR reticle for the VXII line up, correct? I'm a bit slow this morning, lol!

Leo
Leo,
I would think that if your rifle shoots both the 130s and 150s well, that would be even better!

These 130 partitions are the first 130s I have shot in my little Winny, believe it or not- I think I will stick with them...
grin
Originally Posted by depopulator
If I had to choose one from my collection, it would be my customized .280 Remington shooting 140 accubonds through it's bombproof B&L 3-9x40. I trust it completely, and with todays amazing bullets, it could easily be the ultimate for me.

jpg[/IMG]

I'm with the depopulator, except I'm partial to the 2.5x8 Leupold.
Love the .280. Love the accubombs.

sk
How many of you are using a fancy-pants reticle in your scopes? Have not seen that mentioned. I'm transitioning over to the B&C... seems to work fabu!

-jeff

Fabu!!!! .....................Dude.............I have never heard a straight guy use that word........ever!!! Fancy pants is another one I don't often hear in hunting camp.................I am starting to understand why you like having a round in the chamber grin Just kidding, I had to bust your balls a little for you choice of words. As for your question, I run turrets on most of my guns.
I think I've heard "fabu" spoken once, and I think they were indeed making fun of the "other" sort. Had to do with granite countertops or some such.

I dunno... seemed funny last night, what can I say? :-)

Fancypants... now THAT'S an American classic! Don't be doggin' on fancypants, mister, or the blue-haired-bitty brigade will be all OVER your butt!

-jeff
The rifle is a Beretta Mato Synthetic. The scope is a Burris 3-10x40 Signature Seclect with the Ballistic Plex recticle in Talley QD rings & bases. The caliber is 30-06. The load is a Barnes 180gr. TSX @ 2750 fps for elk & up. For whitetail deer, antelope etc. the Hornady 180gr. SST @ 2750 fps.
One rifle... one scope...one caliber...one load... What a cruel world that would be. I'd rather look at the sun thru Zeiss binoculars.
Hey! What's that big bright thing in the sky! Lordy lordy... it's the SUN!

I'm gonna go shoot my new Kimber... heh heh...

-jeff
The more I hunt, the more I realize that Jim Carmichel had it right a long time ago when he came right out and stated:

"There's no shortage of all-purpose rifles - where are the all-purpose hunters?"

wink

AD
Probably cross canyon shot of a lifetime would be my guess grin
Wondering, is it really that difficult to have just a few quality rifles??? This thread makes sense to me. Pick a good general use rifle, play with it/tweak how you like, then pick one good load and practice with that load until you become familiar with it and then go hunting.

Leo
Leo, in my book a simple hunting battery of maybe one or two, possibly three well-built, quality rifles (depending upon your needs) is all that's necessary or even desireable. Unless you're hunting Big Five species in Africa and really need a big-bore for buffalo and stuff like that, you can certainly get by with just one of two rifles for all your other big game hunting, anywhere in the world.

Total familiarity is really important, and that's why I stick with the same actions and the same stocks for all my hunting rifles...........

AD
Allen,

Yep, I agree. Not a bad philosophy at all.

Leo
The one rifle would be Savage 110. I know it is not the most fashionable choice but they funtion and the one I have is a shooter. The caliber would be 30-06. Load would be a good 180 grain at 2700+. Scope would be a leupie 3x9x40. M8x57
Mine happens to be a Pre64 (1949) 30-06 in a McMillan G&H (painted by Rick)and Zeiss 3x10x44. It shoots 165 TSX at 2950 fps and 180 TSX at 2800 fps. The 165's shoot little groups, the 180's shoot into little bitty groups grin

I am seeing alot of 270s, 30-06s and a few 300Winny's on this thread, hmmm, I wonder why?
grin
Ok, here I go...

Remington 700 AWR (Alaskan Wilderness Rifle) in 300/375 Ruger topped with a Leupold 4.5x14 with M2 top only Turret.

Shooting Barnes 168 TTSX's at 3,400 fps. Or Berger 168 VLD's.

Mule Deer, Elk, Bear, whatever. Long, short, medium range, whatever.

I suppose I would go with either the 30-06 and 200 gr. Noslers or the .375 H&H and 300 gr. Northforks. I hope I never have to make such a decision...A lot would depend on what I had in mind for hunting.

If I were trekking across Africa then I would opt for the .375 of course, if on this continent I would opt for the 06, and my only concer would be the Giant bears of Alaska, but the 06 would get me by them quit well.
If forced to go with one, then I will have to say Rem. 700 in .35 Whelen, 225 gr. Nosler Partions at 2700fps. Leupold VX-III in 2.5x8 with Leuopold Dot reticle. Take the great bears off the menu and then I would go with .30-06, 180 gr. Partitions, same rifle and scope.
For a scoped rifle, I'd pick a boring Savage 110 in 30-06. The Ford Taurus of bolt rifles - nothing fancy but it just flat works.

For iron sights, I'd pick a M39 Finn. I've got a battered old Sako with kill notches in the stock (whether reindeer or Russians will never be known) and it has enough life left in it to get a few more notches if I took it out hunting.
LH 700 BDL converted to ADL in a McMillan stock with a Leupy 1.75x6x36 atop (that ain't a misprint) shooting 210 gr. Nosler partitions outa a .338 WM case.

I could get by with that and not feel handicapped.

but I'd miss the fun of a few others I've grown fond of.
Boy, I would not want my wife to read this thread. Got er convinced, ya need a different gun for every hunt smile
I know I could not live with only one big game rifle for all of North America, but were I forced to I'd probably opt for a .308 Win with a 22" barrel. I own such a configured Featherweight that I bought as a backpacking rifle. I did a lot of research prior to buying it. It seems like with .308 caliber rifles for mule deer 165 grain projectiles are most often used. Further, most shots are well under 350 yards, about point blank range for the .308 Winchester. Moreover, this caliber is accurate beyond belief. The recoil is light, and the cartridge is the definition of efficient. To make a long story short, this rifle has become my primary hunting rifle even when not backpacking. And with 180 grain bullets it is entirely suitable for bigger ungulates. Also, I hunt where big bears roam and I have never, ever felt inadequate should I have had to defend myself with the .308 Win.

BTW, with Light Magnum 165 grain rounds, my rifle chronographs better than 2900 FPS.

How could I go wrong...???

M
I know I could not live with only one big game rifle for all of North America
.......well you sure did a good job convincing me otherwise in the rest of your post! grin

Welcome to the Campfire!
Oh yeah, if not for the fact I already own a .308 Win, I would most assuredly opt for something that shoots a .284 caliber projectile such as the 7MM-08, .280 Rem, 7MM Mauser, or 7MM Rem mag. I have read the thesis more than once that the .284 160 projectile is the most efficient of all big game projectiles. Might be something to it!
RickyD,

Thanks.

As a kid I used to hunt with guys who mostly owned but one rifle. Their refrain was it's better to own one rifle and know it thoroughly. Probably good advice that I never had the sense to follow!

Take care,

M
A light .308 is the epitome of an efficient package in every way... I'm a big believer in the .308 family of cartridges. i'm astounded that you guys are seeing 2900 fps with 165's, but, there it is! I can beat that with my 30-06 but not by much.

Brad, and you, and Kimber, have me thinking that a .308 Montana, combined with my .325 Montana, and shee-it... that'd be about that!

What brand and setup (scope, mounts, etc) is your .308, Mando? And I 2nd the welcome to the 'Fire.

-jeff
Hi Jeff,

Thanks.

I have a CRF, stainless model with a silver 2.5x8 Vari-XIII. I'm guessing the whole thing, sling included, weighs just over 8 pounds. I have had it bedded and the trigger worked to about 3 pounds. With one in the chamber, it'll hold six rounds, which translates to plenty of missin'! I will shoot an inch all day long with all ammo I've tested.

My rifle will also chrono 180 grain Core-Lokts at better than 2700 FPS. I was told that I am fortunate to have a "fast" barrel. Maybe so, but I am more fortunate that it will shoot these rounds very accurately. I would much prefer to hit at that which I'm aiming with a slower bullet than have a "speedier" one pass on by!

I have old reloading info from Ken Waters. He wrote of getting better than 2500 FPS with 200 grain bullets. I'd like to load a box or so with bonded bullets to have just in case I were to meet a mean bear high in the Rockies. But I suppose a bonded 180 grain would work just as well.

Caliber selection, more often than not, boils down to subjectivity. I will never fault a man whose choice is different than mine so long as it's reasonable. Of course a .22 Hornet is a poor choice for muleys. But when it comes to most big game cartridges, they're all suitable when used within their parameters. For me, I researched the game I was most often to hunt and distances at which I am capable of harvesting an animal. After I finished reading and talking to hunters, I chose the .308 Win as my mountain rifle. Fact is, most other calibers would have worked as well, maybe better. But I like the idea of low recoil which makes practice more pleasant. The round is nearly identical to the venerable '06, except where heavier bullets come into play; meaning it is more than powerful enough for all North American ungulates. Since I am unlikely to ever use anything over 180 grains, for me the .308 Win made more sense. Also, ammo is inexpensive and easy to find...anywhere.

Jeff, what's your take on this topic? What would be your choice limiting to only North American big game?
Jeff, I just read your post here to start this thread. Your Rem '06 is an excellent choice. While I do not own an '06, I have a soft spot in my heart. One day I will own one. I'd love to own a Gerand(sp?). I once knew a guy who used to hunt with one. Kinda heavy, but a neat gun. He used iron sights. I remember a muley he felled with it. It was about a 200 yard shot. That's the way I'd go, military issue with iron sights. Patience & skill...
Well, I actually started this thread so... I had to make my call early! After reading some of what you guys have or wish you had, it's more confusing than ever.

I said my M700 in 30-06, with a 2.5x8 VX-III, shooting the 165-gn TSX. Mine was formerly a Mountain Rifle but I had it rebarreled by PacNor to a 22" sporter profile barrel, but I kept the MR stock and just widened out the barrel channel a little.

However. I just bought, which means we are in the honeymoon period, a Kimber 8400 Montana in .325 WSM that is just a spectacular rifle. 300 WSM would probably be the more logical choice, but whadaya gonna do; I like oddball calibers! Ammo availability aside, it's a great rifle and would do anything I need to do, and then some.

But in truth I am a gun nut and have a number (ahem) of different rifles for different situations. My main deer rifle, since I hunt blacktail in the PNW jungle, is a Model 7 rebarreled to .358 Win. Killer rifle, literally. Just seriously puts deer down. And I have a .338 WM that is my primary BOLT elk rifle, or was until I bought the Kimber. I also have a .325 WSM Browning BLR that I carried all season for elk and my idea is to get set up with ONE LOAD for the two WSM's and then retire the .338 for a while, and use the two 325's for all types of elk hunting.

I'm very tolerant of recoil and love my .338 and .325's. I chose the 30-06 because in my original post on this thread, I mentioned that someday, as I age, I might not be able to tolerate the recoil of the .338 and in truth, the '06 (or your .308) will kill anything the .338 will.

-jeff
Mando,

Hey- is that a mandolin referance? I'm a gee-tar player.

I love Garands! Never had one, but I have had two M1a's, which are the .308 version of the same thing.

-jeff
I own a .338 Win Mag, though I have never hunted with it. It is a damn good round. In fact, I'd certainly rate in within the top five all time hunting rounds.

My top five big game rounds would go something like this but not in order of preference: .270 Win, .308 Win, .30-'06, 7MM Rem Mag, & .338 Win Mag.
Jeff,

Kinda. It's my five-year-old daughter's nickname. That kid owns me!
This is easy. A Winchester pre-64 Model 70, with a VX III 3-9 variable, in .30-06 using 180 grain Core-lokt.
Originally Posted by bearstalker
Make mine a Winchester 300 RUM. 180-grain TSX. For a scope, Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40.
But what if you needed to buy ammo the evening before a hunt?
My Remington 700 TI in .308 win with a Leupold 2.5x8 vari x 3 scope shooting 165 grain TSX's.
Seems like at least 1/3 of these posts include the venerable 2.5x8 VX-III! Or Vari-X III.

-jeff
Jeff,
I only have one 2.5-8X, it is on my 325 grin

I think more 2.5-8Xs are in my future, I like the scope size, eye relief, etc. very much.
Jeff,

I think there are a lot of good scopes on the market. But Leupold is made in America, and the company has an excellent warranty program, not that I have ever had to access it! All my scopes, save an old Redfield Ranger 2x7, are Leupold models. I even have an old Vari-X II 4x12 atop a 7MM Rem Mag that is excellent.

I suppose one could pay quite a lot more for excellent German optics, but in all honesty I doubt I could tell the difference between the Leupold Vari-X III and a Zeiss. Hell, I can't even tell the difference in quality between the old Vari-X II and the newer Vari-X III models. BTW, the old Vari-X II was a damn good scope and probably the standard by which others were measured. But that is merely my not-too-well-informed opinion. I just want a clear scope that's 100% reliable and will not fog! Other than these criteria, what would justify spending hundreds more???
Agreed! All my hunting rifles have 2.5x8 Leupold's on them...

-jeff
Jeff,

In my estimation, all things considered including value, it's hard to beat Leupold!
If I was to limit myself to one rifle, it would be a 308 Winchester. I would build it on a good Mauser action using a feather weight contour barrel, stainless, 22" long with a 12 inch twist. I would utilize the standard military two stage trigger worked to release at 3 lbs. The safety would be the Buehler wing type.
I would stock it in straight grained walnut but might have a synthetic stock waiting in the wings for those really wet, soggy hunts.
I would mount a band ramp front sight and a small and simple rear aperture attached to the rear scope mount base. The scope bases would be Weaver steel. The scope would be a Leupold 2-7 in Weaver rings.
This rifle would be 100% reliable. I would be able to have spare parts such as extractor and firing pin on hand and know that, in the highly unlikely event I needed them, I would be able to change them out with no tools.
I would load 150 grain conventional bullets for deer/antelope and 180s for elk. 125 Speer TNTs would be my varmint choice. I would shoot this thing enough there would be a real possibility I would wear the barrel out so I'd chamber a second one to be ready for it; just in case.
This makes so much sense, I might have to get started on it for next year. GD
Originally Posted by greydog
This makes so much sense, I might have to get started on it for next year. GD

grin Best get going then!

Sounds like a neat package. Why are you so into Weaver rings and bases? An honest question; you just don't hear them come up often as the ring of choice. I've not messed with them much.

-jeff
Rem 700 Stainless Mnt Rifle,( sako if cost not a factor) 280 Rem. with 160 grain Partion. 6x42 leopould.

Rifle= Reasonable cost and wieght,Laminated very durable and a lot easier on the eye than plastic stocks. Which i own a few of.

Caliber= will readily kill any thing that walks in North America, fairly flat shooting with out excessive recoil and muzzle blast. I have shot and have seen shot a lot of game with the 160 grain partion from 7x57, 280 Rem,284 Win, and 7 RM. and
it just works very well.

Scope= All the power you need for big game and you can still pick up a running whitetail fairly easy, cross hairs do not blot out the target as some 4x's do at 400yards and most important of all you in all likley hood will never have a poblem with this scope the rest of your life unless you drop it 20 feet on to a rock. These fixed power leopoulds almost never come back for repairs according to thier employees. And a joy to look through.
Duckshoot,

I have been shooting a 7MM Rem Mag for 35 years. However, if I had to do it all over again I would probably go with the .280 Rem. I love 22" barrels, I am OK with 24" barrels, I am not sure I would want to lug anything larger. A properly handloaded 160 grain Nosler out of .280 REM with a 22" barrel ain't but maybe 250 maybe 300 FPS slower than the same out of a 7MM Rem Mag...with a longer tube!

And I agree, a 160 grain .284 projectile out of most 7MM rifles is more than enough for all of North American ungulates.
greydog,

I like your reasoning! When the real huntin' commences, it's damn difficult to beat a .308 Winchester with a 22" barrel. It's a combo that was made for makin' memories of successful hunts!
Rem 700 cutomized(I'll skip the details)~6.5lbs, Leup4.5-14x40LR(30mm tube)w/M-1s, 284win, 120TSX.
Already have it. Kimber Montana in 270 Win, topped of by the Zeiss 3.5x10x44 conquest, shooting 130 TSX's over 4831sc. I am really loving this rifle, the others in the stable are feeling a little left out, as this one goes hutnign with me so much.
I've been thinking hard on this since Jeff started this post waffling back and forth a really big rifle like my 375 H&H which weights 9.5 pounds and possible a lightweight 308 and decided on neither.
My one and only rifle would be my Left handed Mod. 70 in 30-06 loaded with 180 partitions. This rifle shoots this load very well. The scope would be a Leupold VX-2 3x9 or VX-3 2.8x8. Everyone keeps talking about those VX-3's, i guess I'm going to have to try one.
Currently this rifle wears an Aetec 2.8x10 and weights about 9 pounds so I would have to trim some weight off of it.
This is a tried and true combination for deer, black bear and elk as far as I'm concerned.

Doc
Make mine a CRF M70 stainless FWT in 300 WM in a nicely figured walnut stock, Matte silver VX II 3-9 x 40

and I'll just shoot 180 grain core lokt's, cause they work, they are cheap & they shoot well in my immaginary long action magnum FWT.

Great thread. Mine would be what I have now...

Rem 700 - 30/06; HS Precision Stock, Leupold VX-III 2.5x8 with 180 grain Nosler Partitians.

I have a great deal of confidence in this rig, but am experimenting with other bullet choices.
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
Depop: Nice "chhip!"

This is my choice, probably because I've owned and used it since the late 60's and it gives me great confidence. With the new bullet options we have today, it's an even better choice these days.

Remodeled Rem 700 in .270 win, now wearing a 2.5x8 Leupold.
[Linked Image]

Neat.
What stock is that?

Also, what scope shown in the original picture.

Those gun bearers are all grown up now. BT
I've already got it in my opinion. My CZ 550 American in 7x57mm. The load is 48.3 grains of H414 in a Remington Case, fired by a Federal 210 primer, pushing a 160 grain Nosler Partition along at 2,800 fps out of the 23.6 inch barrel. The scope would be the Leupold 4x12x40. I might break down and get an accurate innovations stock for it, but that would be the only change. Tom Purdom
Id go with the same caliber (30.06) same 165gr bullet weight, but with Hornady Interbond bullets. Your rifle choice is hard to beat but make mine a Sako Mod 85 Finnlight with a Leupold 3.5x10x40 Matte finish scope...............547
Browning A-Bolt, .270 Winchester, 140gr Accubonds, Leupold Varible Scope.
Jeff,
I can understand why you might wonder about my mount choice. In truth, virtually all of my customers opt for something with a little more class but, for myself, practicality is the big thing.
I like Weaver bases (in steel)because they are a simple and effective mounting system. They have a good, broad base for plenty of contact. In addition, they are low; yet the rear base for the Mauser is sufficiently high to allow me to install my little aperture.
I like Weaver rings because they are low and, although a little homely, they are strong. I've never had any trouble with a scope slipping in them. They are easily detachable and the scope returns to zero if removed and replaced. They are also light. I was just thinking of this as an emminently practical outfit and they fit the bill. I do like to mount the scope as low as possible.
If I want a mount which is a bit more attractive (OK, a lot more attractive!), I can use Talleys or I can stick with the Weaver bases and use Leupold QRW rings. Neither mount the scope quite as low though. The Weaver system has been around for a long, long time and is still with us for good reason; it works.
I figure the 1 rifle has to be just nice enough to instill some pride of ownership but it has to be a totally reliable and rugged performer and do this without breaking the bank.GD
GD, here's a One-Rifle-Rifle I built a few years back... like you, I like the all-steel Weaver base, went with Zee rings even though I think the Weaver's are actually better. I did mine with an NECG rear sight and XS Sights front. Bansner stock. 30-06 of course, 21" bbl.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Attached picture 8745-JRicks300.JPG
For now, I'll have to say a Remington 700 Stainless, a Leupold 3-9 or 3.5-10, in 308 Win, 165 gr. Accubonds. It should work for everthing I can afford to hunt right now.
Brad,
I kind of like that. I think I would tend toward a short action in 308 and add an inch to the barrel but that's just me. I don't bother with an open sight because I can no longer see them anyway! Even with an aperture sight, the front sight is bluury if the barrel is too short.
Is the forend on that Bansner shortened? Looks pretty good.
I just made up a short MRC with a McMillan Edge and it's a nicely configured stock though a bit spendy. Since I don't actually LIKE any synthetic stock, the easy availability and much lower cost of the Bansner makes it my first choice.
I brought forth my reasons for liking the Mauser for a hunting rifle but, in reality, more modern actions work fine too. Even a Remington is perfectly adequate! In fact, I have a short 700 which has been gathering dust for four years. I could use it in a pinch. GD
Kimber 8400 300 WSM, Zeiss 3-9 x 40 with a 168 gr Barnes TSX.
Mmmm... I like that!

-jeff
Sako AV, 300 win mag, nice oil finished wood stock for dry environments and a black mcmillan for moose and late season deer. The scope is a 3x9x40 Zeiss Conquest in Burris signature rings and bases. The load is 75 gr os re22 and a 168 gr TSX at 3150.
If I had to choose just one....

Winnie classic worked over. Lilja bbl at 23 inches. McMillan stock. Leupie 6X42. Cerakoted metal. Shooting a 180 gr. partition.

Thankfully, we don't have to have just one.
Thankfully, yes!

Would that be a 30-06 or 300 Winnie, Westman?

-jeff
Remington KS, 270 Win., 2.5x8 scope, 150 Gr. Nosler Partition over 58 gr. of Norma MRP = 2975 FPS.

Everything but the big bears.

MM
MM:+1.That works!
NULA in 308 Win, scope is a Leupold 2.5-8 with the B&C reticle. Load is 165 Partitions at about 2750 over 44 grains of RL 15.
GD, that's the standard Bansner forearm... I took a page from your playbook and recontoured the bottom metal.

I sold this rifle last year to a member here on 24hr and proceeded to recreate the rifle in a slightly different configuration. The new one keeps its 22" bbl, no sights and sits in a McMillan Edge. It has the Williams Oberndorf bottom metal and wears a 6x36 Leupold in Talley lightweights. Should come in around 7.5 lbs all-up. The McMillan comes this week... I bedded it and did some epoxy touch-up and sent it back for paint.

Like you, I prefer the Bansner best over-all but the Edge seems like a good stock.

Like you, I really like the 308 and my only other BG rifle is a Kimber MT in 308. Weighs just under 6.25 lbs all-up and is a joy to shoot and carry. Really can't find a need to build a 308 since Kimber got it right and at a price that'd be nearly impossible to beat!

Hawkeye:+2 to that selection! Except,I would sorta lose those corelokts for something better today....... grin

Brad: Your 06 and mine could be twins;same color stock,except my barrel and action are blued.I love mine;great shooter.

This thread is interesting because you would think that the 30/06 would win this hands down going away,and maybe it did. But as further evidence of the overlapping redundancy in rifle cartridges,and the "equalizing" effect of premium bullet designs today,I don't see a single "wrong" selection.They would all work on about any big game animal on this continent,short of the large bears.Some would do OK on them as well.Lots of choices...

Mando should start a thread entitled...THE 5 GREATEST BIG GAME CARTRIDGES OF ALL TIME...........between he and Jeff, they'd fill 40 pages..................... grin grin I'd chime in on that one....... smile
If I only could have one rifle, it would be in one of the following calibers:
.308 Win.
.30-06
.300 Win. mag.
.338 Win. mag.
.350 Rem. mag.

It would be on a Winchester Classic action with a Shilen or Lilja barrel and set in a McMillan featherweight stock. Of course, it would be stainless and have New England back-up iron sights. And naturally, it would be scoped with a Leupold variable with an objective of 40 mm or less. I would run bullets of not less than .180 gr. and not more than .250 gr. CP.
Good answer CP!

My buddy is about to buy a .350 mag. That caliber intrigues me...

-jeff
Rifle custom Sako
Scope loopy of course.
Cartridge 7mm STW
Load 150 gr Nosler Partition.
This one:

[Linked Image]

Remington 700 SS, .30-06
(now wearing) Leupold FX-III 6x42, wide duplex, BC caps
Bansner High Tech Stock, painted by RickBin
Talley LWs
Bolt fluted, hunter knob installed, metal aluminum oxide blasted by Kampfeld Custom

Still to be done:
Have Karl at Kampfeld Custom cerakote the metal, true the bolt face, lap the lugs, double pin the recoil lug, bed the action, and float the barrel (last two done; want Karl to do it a little better).
Have Leupold install turrets to the FX-III, likely swap reticle for a post and duplex.
Ultrabore coat the bore.

Current load:
168 gr. TSXs on top of 50 gr. of RL-15, WLR primers, R-P brass. 168 gr. Hornady BTHP Match loaded the same, for practice fodder.

Likely going to 130 gr. TTSXs this spring, and 125 gr. NBTs for practice fodder.
Thankfully, yes!

Would that be a 30-06 or 300 Winnie, Westman?

-jeff

How'd I forget that? 30-06 for me.

Funny though, I usually choose other rifles in different calibers for hunting but they seem to be more specialized. 338-06 for elk....7 mag for mule deer, etc.
I have a 25-284 in the works and my idea is to be able to use that for deer and 'lopes and the 338-06 for elk and bear. If I had to choose just one though, it strikes me that a 30-06 is about as versatile as they come.
The one I am shooting on that particular day.One Rifle?????How boring!!!!!!!!!!! cry
As much as I dislike them...a SS CRF action and SS barrel in a synthetic stock with Leupold 2.5 x 8 VX3 in 300Win shooting 180gr TSX bullets.....just like my Empire Standard Rifle. Bought with the one gun one load principle in mind. I prefer to use my other rifles but if relegated to one..there it is.
i couldnt do it but if forced.....

7wsm
mcmillan classic
3.5-10-40 Leupold
160g accubond
My 300 Jarrett I got 3 weeks ago,

Kreiger 28 in. S/S barrel
Gentry Muzzle Break
Weatherby Mark 5 S/S action trued by Doc's Gun Shop
2.5 lb. trigger
Mcmillan's new Mark 5 stock 50%black,25%olive drab,25%tan
Kampfeld Custom cerakoted it for me matte black and tricked out handle and installed Hunter Knob
Zeiss Victory Diavari VM/V 3X12X56 scope from Doug @ cameraland

During barrel break in shot groups consistently in .1 and .2in,with Doc's hand loaded 165 ballistic tips,chronographed between 3483 and 3491 fps.
I'm 1 HAPPY CAMPER
I can not believe that this is still going on. WHY would you want one rifle... one scope...one caliber...one load...? What is the fun in this?
I have been there and done that and I do not want to do it again.
But if I did to would be a Win M70 Fwt 30-06 with 165 gr load. It will do anything I need doing.
What is the fun in this?
I use the 'saved' money for hunting trips! I try to hunt big game in 4 states each year, thus the one rifle, one load, one scope method makes sense for me...
I usally take two rifles. I like to shoot animals with different calibers/bullets, etc. I think an exercise like this helps us define where we really stand.

One is almost always that boring SS Classic Model 70 with iron sights and a 2.5-8x36 Leupy. Loaded with a good bullet it does it all.
Make mine a Pre-64 Model 70 Featherweight, wearing a Leupold VXII 3-9x40mm with a latigo sling and cases of TSX 165's.

If I'm posting too much, just ignore this. The weather is truly crappy today and I'm stuck inside all day with my kids while my wife gets to leave... got nothing better to do.

This subject gets beat to death, but I'm trying to take it to the Nth degree by narrowing it to one load.

If anyone else is as bored as I am today... chime in! The rest of ya'll, just ignore it...

-jeff

Mine would mirror that on a Model 70 action...with a 3 x 9 Leupodl, with a Heavy German Number one reticle...
A 1952 vintage Remington M721 in 300 H&H with a Leupold 4-12. Enough IMR4831 and Nosler 180grain BT's or Partitions for 3000fps will get the job done.
7mmwsm Kimber Montana, 2x7 leupie,talley lightweights, 140 partitions or tsx's, lotsa RL22.

FN Browning Safari High Power .30/06 (22" bbl.)
Leupold 2.5 X 8 VXIII w/Raincotes
IMR4831 & Nosler Partitions (180gr.)

Reduced to just one that would be it without any hesitation.

DJR

NULA in 06, 7saum or a 350 mag:) wearing a 6x42 bladee blah blah.. etc etc.........

tsx's bladee blah blah

seems a trend here somewhere..........

woofer
You think?
Well, any number of cartridges would work, but since I already have it, I'll go with this one. Sorry to all the guys that are sick of seeing it.
[img][IMG]http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m238/Kevin_Teed/33806-1.jpg[/img][/img]
Stainless M-700 with 22 inch Pac-nor barrel in .338-06, McM Mnt rifle stock, Leupold dual dovetails holding a Vari-X III 1.75X6 all up at 8lbs even. I use a couple different loads, but if I had to pick one it would probably be using a 210 Nosler or TSX.
Only one, well it would have to be...

win 70
24" stainless bbl
300 win mag
mcmillan stock
leupold vx3 3.5x10x40
talley rings & bases
© 24hourcampfire