Home
Anyone here used "Hill Country Rifles" to accurize a factory rifle for them?

I have not used Hill Country Rifles services but my good friend did and was very happy with the results.

He has a Weatherby Ultralight in .257 Weatherby Magnum. It shot lousy from the start. It would barely shoot 2 inch groups most days.

It was sent to Hill Country and they did all sorts of stuff to it. I believe they crowned the barrel, they bedded the action, they lapped the scope rings, they lapped the locking lugs, they put in a pressure pad in the foreend, they even bedded the floorplate.

When the rifle came back there was a letter with it stating that it shot best with factory Weatherby ammo using the 115 grain Barnes X bullet.

We took it to the range and were very pleasantly surprised. That gun is now shoots half inch groups with factory ammo.

What a remarkable transformation.
I have two rifles from Hill Country and am very pleased with both. The first is Montana Harvester in .30-06 and the second is a .260 that was rebarrelled from a Remington CDL in .243. Both shoot incredibly well and I am very happy.
They installed a Lilja barrel on a Sako 75 for me and fixed a crack in the stock. I was pleased with the work, though it was somewhat pricey.
I have had Matt "accurize" six of my rifles and picked up the most recent just Monday. They do very good work and although the time of 12 weeks bothers some they work deligently to meet their timelines.

I am certain I will take more to them in the future. Not cheap and getting higher as we speak.

Probably getting to a good time of year to send him some business.
My reason for asking is, I just sent them a Remmy Model 700 XCR in 270. Hoping they can breath some accuracy life into it. First gun I've "sent" anywhere like this.
I believe you will be happy.
I have read good things about them.I am sure you will be happy.
They have done one rifle for me and will do another next time I get over to central Texas. I had them put a McMillan stock on my Weatherby Mk v .375 H&H and do the rest of the accurizing as well. It went from grouping three shots in around 2" to putting three of my handloads into less than an inch (although the target they sent with it that was shot with 300 grain TBBCs was about 1 1/4"). I like their work.
I used them about eight years ago and they did a good job!However they have changed their prices.
I have had two rifles accurized by them and a buddy has one of their semi-custom rigs. All have shot well. Only exception was on a '06 in which the scope went south, which we finally figured out. The rifles themselves did fine, and Matt is a nice guy to work with down there.
Good work performed on time, easy to deal with and very open with their processes, no vodoo secrets, just skilled work.
I've had HCR build a handful of semi-custom rifles, as well as accurize a couple factory rifles. I have always been pleased with their work, and they definitely deliver on their stated claims.

Their prices though have indeed been going up steadily.

I had them accurize a Ruger M77 in 220Swift. The rifle went from shooting 1.5 inch groups to .330 with my handloads. You will be very happy. Karry
With all these good reports, it seems as if I finally made a good decision.
D2D - with your luck, who knows. smile
smile I've used them several times. very happy with the result.
I've got two that they accurized, and had one of their harvester rifles - all great shooters. If you want it done right, guaranteed, they are great. You pay for it, but you get what you pay for, IMHO.

IME, they are often able to ask what you most want to shoot in a given rifle and tweak it until it shoots that load well.

DJ
I used them to accurize a Dakota 76 338winmag and was very pleased with the results.
Extremely pleased with the results I've gotten on an A-Bolt in .300 Winnie, a M70 SS FWT in 6.5x55, and a Kimber Montana in .308. All three will now shoot 1/2" groups with factory ammo. Can't really ask for more.

I'd love to read some of THEIR stories of rifles they have worked on...might show trends.
I am interested in their accurizing system too, is there anybody else that could give more feed back and maybe pictures of them rifles, mostly i'm looking to shoot barnes tsx in 7 mm rem mag.....tnx tuly007
Didn't they stop working on the Kimber rifles?
dawn2dusk how good/bad your rifle came out from them??? is what you expected, due to this forum reports or not..
Originally Posted by OldCenterChurch
Didn't they stop working on the Kimber rifles?

I heard that as well or it might have been that they make no accuracy guarantee with Kimbers.

Can't recall.
I went and checked and did not see that they would not work on Kimbers anymore, just a few specific cartridges that they would not put an accuracy guarantee on.

Guess they changed their minds.
Originally Posted by Dawn2Dusk

Yes, they did two rifles for me. The accuracy I get with them now is nothing short of amazing. Matt & Company have their act together.
Matt put on a McMillan stock and accurized my 7STW and it will shoot Rem. Core-Loct 140s into less tha 1"@100.
Good people and on time.
They have gone up on the prices quite a bit.

Coach

Yes. A .270 Weatherby re-barrel (like-for-like) Mark V Deluxe. Not only is it MOA with factory Barnes-X 140-grain load as advertized, I worked out a 160-grain Partition load that is within 3" at 300 yards. They are bona fide.
You can go to their site and see some rifles they have for sale that have been accurized (as well as semi-custom builds).

Better yet, call them up and speak with Matt. He's a straight shooter and would be happy to answer any questions you have.
I've used them for two rifles. A ruger in 257 Roberts went from 3" groups to .5 with factory ammo. a rem 700 in 257 Roy is now .5 with factory ammo. Used the roy two weeks ago on a deer hunt in the black belt of Alabama. shot two deer with 100gr TTSX at over 250 yds. Accuracy jobs from HCR gives lots of confidence.
I didn't have a full accurizing job, but they did accuracy work on two rifles for me and I was very satisfied. Nice people to deal with and did it on time. They may be high, but you get what you pay for.
Originally Posted by FOsteology
You can go to their site and see some rifles they have for sale that have been accurized (as well as semi-custom builds).

Better yet, call them up and speak with Matt. He's a straight shooter and would be happy to answer any questions you have.

It was based on your positive comments about Hill Country Rifles that had me go to them a year ago with the two rifles they did for me.

Thank you!!!

Don
I know I commented two years ago when this thread was originally birthed but WTH....

they have two LH Ruger Hawkeyes of mine at the moment that are getting some "rearrangement".

that'll bring the total up to 4-5.
UtahLefty, can you elaborate on what they are doing to the Hawkeyes? I have a Hawkeye that might need some accuracy work. Plan to bed, float barrel, even lug engagement, shoot a Tubbs final finish kit through it and lighten the trigger a bit. Anything else?
one (a 300 WM) is getting re-barreled to .338WM with a 23" #4 Lilja and NECG sights (similar to my .375 700 action they did).
I'm leaning towards keeping the stock at the moment, but might get a McM for it.

the other (a 30-06) is just getting cleaned up (trigger, lugs, crown, float & bed)
Thanks. I'm hoping my efforts will lead to solid hunting accuracy. Time will tell...
I have used HCR twice and are very pleased with their performance. No, they are not cheap but I like how they "guarantee" their work. The first gun I sent to them was a WBY in .300 WBY that would shoot the "Weatherby Accuracy Guarantee" of 1 1/2" groups. However, I was not completely satisfied, so I tried HCR out. After they "accurized" it, the gun now shoots 1/2-3/4 MOA consistently.

The second gun required multiple trips and ended up being rebarreled. Originally, my gun started out as a Sendero in .270 Win that shot all over the place. The only consistency was the inconsistency! I sent it to HCR and the proudly got it to group 3/4 MOA. However, once I got it back the first group I shot measured 3/4, then the second was 2, the third was 3, and the fourth group was 1 MOA. It was up to its old tricks again. Obviously, I was not satisfied so I sent it back. After trying multiple options, HCR talked me into rebarreling it. They back up their guarantee and did the rebarrel job at cost. Now, the gun is a very consistent and accurate .280 AI that I am proud to own. HCR did what hey said they would and I am very pleased. I would definitely have them accurize another gun in the future and would recommend them to anyone.
Well I've read the whole thread and find out they guarantee their work,they are very good at accurizing factory rifles and their price is worth it and price is getting higher.

OK now would SOMEBODY please post how much it cost them to get their rifle accurized. Prices are getting higher .HIGHER than what?

Thanks

Neil
....From their site:

$450.00 for Standard and Magnums

$495.00 for Big Bore Magnums <.375
Thank You!

Neil
And the "getting higher" goes back a few years to $250 from my experience all of which has been excellent work.
Originally Posted by nmitchell

OK now would SOMEBODY please post how much it cost them to get their rifle accurized. Prices are getting higher .HIGHER than what?

Late 2006. $375 to accurize my Mauser 98, plus $50 to realign the scope mounts and $35 S&H.
any reports about their work on/with montana 1999 actions that they used in the past for big game rifles.....cause i have a 375 hh barreled action work by montana people and the action needs some finishing to look good and the AI stock with aluminum insert needs to be bedded ...
Currently $450.00

http://www.hillcountryrifles.com/pages/accurizing-pricing
Greg Rodriguez did an extensive piece on "Hill Country Rifles", for one of the gun mags he writes for (can't re-call which one), several months back. He seemed extremely satisfied with the quality of work performed, services rendered and turn-around time.
FWIW...Regards, Homesteader.
Is that the piece where GR and HCR re-invented the .358 Norma? crazy
The work they did for me was excellent. They set a reasonable time estimate and stuck with it. Their prices have gone up since but still seem reasonable. Besides, you get what you pay for.
They've done work for me including building two rifles. They're work is very good and I've been very satisfied. Matt B. is a good guy to work with.
© 24hourcampfire