Home
i am having this done right know to my leightweight carbine,which is from the origanal model 70 lightweight design,has anyone done this to there winchester,did it help yours out any?..thanks for any info.
of course we bed our winchesters!! We're manly hunting men!!!

it's actually not bad doing a M70, just be careful with the recoil lug area because it's easy to send bedding compound up through the forward action screw hole which is drilled all the way up into the chamber!! Gasp!!! that can be a heck of a mistake!!
Absolutley. Have done it on two Model 70's. One in the same model you mention. Can't say if it improved one of them b/c I had it done before ever even shooting it, so I had nothing to compare it to. It did turn out to be a shooter though, shooting in the .4's.

The carbine (.243) has always been a shooter, both pre/post bedding/floating.

It certainly won't hurt anything if done right. Good luck.
even if it's a shooter out of the box, a good bedding job buys you consistancy.

it will always shoot the same.
[quote=northern_dave]even if it's a shooter out of the box, a good bedding job buys you consistancy.

Well said...
I also have done it to the same model. It didn't really improve average group size, BUT the group doesn't move according to the season anymore. It now shoots to the same point of impact (with the same load) year after year, no matter what the temperature and weather.
I did it to my Featherweight and it shoots very well and is consistent.
If you have ever seen the snot like item placed in the recoil mortise of new rifles and loosely called bedding, it would be a salesman of considerable skill who could state that proper bedding was not an improvement.

AGW
All of mine are. I like the action and recoil lug area bedded and the barrel free floated.
I always glass bed the action and float the barrel of any M70 Classics that come my way. I don't know what Winchester was thinking with the soft compound they used to bed their actions but I always removed it and rebedded.
© 24hourcampfire