Home
Posted By: POP My new custom arrived...... - 12/14/07
Straight from the Savage custom shop!

300 RUM Laminated stainless steel, everything done to it! Love the bolt jeweling and my name on the bolt! smile

It has a 26" barrel and all the accuracy tricks have been done to the action, as I was told by the manager ofthe Custom shop. Weight is 7 3/4 lbs as seen in the pictures. Accutrigger, pillar bedded, free floated, button rifled etc. Talley lightweight (less than 2 oz) 1 piece aluminum rings (30mm) ans a Leupy 4.5x14x40mm LR from their custom shop with M1 dials will be on it soon! All under 9 lbs that will shoot like a sendero or maybe better????????

I can taste the 200 gr Accubonds at 3150 fps and the 168 gr Tipped TSX's at 3500 fps!!!!

LAZER!

Can not wait to shoot it!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Very nice, I hope it shoots as good or better than it looks.
Posted By: POP Re: My new custom arrived...... - 12/14/07
Thanx man!

See? Not all Savages are ugly! grin
Sweet rig. IMHO Savage has the best looking laminated factory stocks. I bought one for my son's .243 110.
very nice! be sure to let us know how it shoots!
Posted By: RickyD Re: My new custom arrived...... - 12/14/07
I like Savages and that one should shoot. Didn't know they had a Custom Shop. No Accutrigger I see. What trigger did you go with?
Posted By: GeoW Re: My new custom arrived...... - 12/15/07
Looks like an accutrigger to me....
Posted By: POP Re: My new custom arrived...... - 12/15/07
It does have the accutrigger....
Must be one of those new stealth scopes wink
Posted By: SU35 Re: My new custom arrived...... - 12/15/07
Well, POP, I'm sure your new rifle will shoot very good if not excellent.

I hope you don't mind me saying this,

That's a butt ugly rifle.
SU-you'll love this one.

The most accurate rifle I ever owned was a Savage in a 223 with a short fat hvy barrel (I'd had it cut to 21"). This was may moons ago b4 the short fats were in vogue.

My buds said it was about too ugly to have in the pd fields.

It was dubbed "little anus"....

Ciao

Dober
Posted By: SU35 Re: My new custom arrived...... - 12/15/07
LOL!!

Dober, that is funny!

Thanks for sharing that.
I can dig it POP, but then I've always like the look of stainless/laminated combos.

Looking forward to pics of little cloverleafs!
Nice,Pop. Good luck with it! I suspect it will shoot real well!
Pop,

Savage should have sent you a test target. They did with both of my 25-06 and 260 rem "leftys" they built for me last August.

Effie Sulivan told me that every Savage custom build goes to the test range for accuracy testing and the test target is shipped in the box.

Doc

Originally Posted by SU35
I hope you don't mind me saying this,

No Problem! Always remember...
That is how I feel about Sierras grin
One man's trash is another's treasure!

Originally Posted by Doctor_Encore
Pop,

Savage should have sent you a test target. They did with both of my 25-06 and 260 rem "leftys" they built for me last August.

Effie Sulivan told me that every Savage custom build goes to the test range for accuracy testing and the test target is shipped in the box.

Doc

What did your targets look like?

Nice Gun. grin

Looks alot nicer to me than a Tikka, and probably shoots as well too. grin
Pop that should reach out and touch something for sure.
This is why I had to dump the Howa...
You will love it.
Do they offer any expectations on accuracy?
Pop.

My test target for the 260 rem was 1.4" for 3 shots using Remington 140 gr ammo. I have the rifle down to .55 with the 129 gr. Hornady and 43.0 of H-4350.

The lefty 25-06 test target with 26" stainless sporter barrel was .4 for 3 shots using Federal 100 gr Nosler BT.

I will say that "Effie Sullivan" at Savages custom shop is an absolute pleasure to work with. My rifles arrived 2 weeks early.

I just wish they would build a lefty stainless 338-06 for me. Savage does not chamber the cartridge....no reamer I guess.

Doc

Posted By: POP Re: My new custom arrived...... - 12/16/07
Mine came with a target with 1.4" with some factory stuff too. Two shots were less than 1/2" apart and the other thrown out. Barrel heat? Jerked shot? Who knows? I ain't worried. I know all savages shoot well and those are mass produced. This one is not! Plus I know they will take care of me if by any chance it won't shoot. I've known Effie for many many years. She always treats me well.

Tell you what, beats a $2K Remington AWR or a KS from their custom shop that will not break 2 moa....and yes I know from bitter experience.
POP,

As a "lefty" Savage gives me a stainless short action that no other manufacturer has done in left-hand in calbers such as the 260 rem or I could have had a 257 Roberts. All this for under $725.00 delievered to my dealer in under 6 weeks.

The Savage rifles catch grief here for their looks but they do shoot. Savage is one of the few American gun manufacturers that is "financialy" sound. Excellent management.

As far as your Remington custom rifle experiences your Savage will deliever 2K worth of accuracy for $750.00 spent.

We will hear more on your rifle in the near future after some range trips.

Doc

Posted By: POP Re: My new custom arrived...... - 12/16/07
as soon as the snow melts a little and I can get access to the range!
Posted By: POP Re: My new custom arrived...... - 12/18/07
Originally Posted by RickyD
No Accutrigger I see. What trigger did you go with?

[Linked Image]
well, y'uns shot it yet?
it looks nice.
I've shot a few Savage 110s from 223 to 300 WM and they all shot well with factory ammo and "as-is" configuration. The one's (like mine) that have had a bit of triggerwork and handloads worked through them shot like you read about. I figure you'll be very happy with your new rifle.
Very nice looking rifle POP.

How does one contact/ find information concerning the Savage Custom Shop?
Posted By: RickyD Re: My new custom arrived...... - 12/19/07
Ahhhhh.....the big print edition! Thanks!! grin

I came back to this late and noticed it certainly does have an accutrigger by my home monitor. Even without the senior citizen assist. My eyes are obviously considered planned obsolesense by my employer, from the cheap monitor I have at work.

Nice rifle!
Posted By: POP Re: My new custom arrived...... - 12/19/07
Originally Posted by hillbillybear

Phone: (413) 568-7001

Ask for Effie Sullivan.....
Congrats on the new rifle, from the description it ought to shoot really good.
Originally Posted by POP
Originally Posted by hillbillybear

Phone: (413) 568-7001

Ask for Effie Sullivan.....

Thanks for the information , I'll give her a ring.
Posted By: 340boy Re: My new custom arrived...... - 12/19/07
Nice rifle, POP!
Nice to see there are some other 300RUM fans around here...

I did not even know that Savage had a custom shop, I look forward to hearing how she shoots with those ABs.

smile
Nice addition to your collection Pops. Have a merry Xmas and happy new year.
Posted By: POP Re: My new custom arrived...... - 12/21/07
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
Nice addition to your collection Pops. Have a merry Xmas and happy new year.

Yup Now almost all my rifles are Savages.

I am addicted to their accuracy. laugh
Posted By: dmazur Re: My new custom arrived...... - 12/21/07
Stainless w/ laminate works for me. Nice rifle. Hope it shoots as good as it looks.
Posted By: DJR Re: My new custom arrived...... - 12/22/07

Not a big fan of laminated stocks but I like the looks of that one. Actually I've looked pretty hard and can't find anything I don't like about that rifle. Bet it's a shooter too.

DJR
Strange how the accutrigger is so many different colors. You see orange ones, red ones, and now POPwith a black one. Why?
Posted By: POP Re: My new custom arrived...... - 12/22/07
Not sure....
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
Strange how the accutrigger is so many different colors. You see orange ones, red ones, and now POPwith a black one. Why?

Diversity!
© 24hourcampfire