Home
I shot this Cull Buck (180 lb. 6 point) with my Sako Forester (circa:1960); 308, 165 grain federal premium accubonds. 78 yards; high sholder shot, DRT then the bullet penetrated 2.5 inches in to a tree. It took me 30 minutes to dig out the bullet with my pocket knife.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I have been a huge fan of the TSX, but these accubonds shoot and penetrate just as good.
Mississippi:

I'm glad you got that cull out of the woods. It would ashame to have 180# ers dirtying up the woods.

Is that the way the bullet ended up. side ways in the hole or did you lay it in there for the picture?

Hoot
Those Accubonds sure do suck, don't they! :-)

-jeff
Originally Posted by Jeff_Olsen
Those Accubonds sure do suck, don't they! :-)

-jeff

TIs true, heck, that deer is not even dead yet.

As soon as they turn the freezer off, its gonna unwrap itself, re-assemble the pieces, and bound off back into the woods.

BMT
The bullet actually was sitting vertically in the hole once I dug down to it. It was tough digging that sucker out of the tree. I then placed it in the hole for the picture.
Miss, I really can't see the need for a TSX or an Accubond for deer... OTOH, whatever floats your boat!

Would add, that's a dandy whitetail taken with my favorite cartridge!
So many bullets to try in Mr. 308!
I have been shooting 165gr partitions out of mine, and it shoots 'em well.

Whether I need a 165 partition in a 308 for deer is another story, I suppose.

grin
If I were deer hunting only with the 308 I'd load up a 150 or 165 Speer hotcore and go fill an ark. Biggest whitetail I ever shot went around 230 lbs on the hoof and I took it with a 150 Speer Hot Core from a 308... it punched through both shoulders and exited.

The 150/165 Speer is one of the best "non-premium" bullets out there IMO... a 165 in my collection looks exactly like that Accubond, at half the cost.

Deer aren't that hard to kill IMO, but to each his own... it's nice to have choices!
I have been using Speer hotcores of late in my 270,325, and 9.3X62, they seem to shoot pretty well, and they are inexpensive.

I may try out those in 308.
Originally Posted by Brad
If I were deer hunting only with the 308 I'd load up a 150 or 165 Speer hotcore and go fill an ark. Biggest whitetail I ever shot went around 230 lbs on the hoof and I took it with a 150 Speer Hot Core from a 308... it punched through both shoulders and exited.

The 150/165 Speer is one of the best "non-premium" bullets out there IMO... a 165 in my collection looks exactly like that Accubond, at half the cost.

Deer aren't that hard to kill IMO, but to each his own... it's nice to have choices!

Brad,

M70 Classic, Edge stock, lilja barrel, leupy FX4 scope w/ Talleys, trigger job, metal work, cerakote. Will be the pride and joy for (hopefully) my lifetime of whitetail hunts.

If you think I'm puttin gay bullets in it 'cause deer are clever wimps, it ain't gonna happen! smile smile

I don't care if deer go down nicely (Yes, they usually do); I'm honoring the over-engineered toy with a decent bullet smile
Plus it makes guys around here think I know way more about hunting than I really do smile
Originally Posted by stillhunter73

Brad,

M70 Classic, Edge stock, lilja barrel, leupy FX4 scope w/ Talleys, trigger job, metal work, cerakote. Will be the pride and joy for (hopefully) my lifetime of whitetail hunts.

If you think I'm puttin gay bullets in it 'cause deer are clever wimps, it ain't gonna happen! smile smile

I don't care if deer go down nicely (Yes, they usually do); I'm honoring the over-engineered toy with a decent bullet smile

Chawn,
Sounds like a very nice rifle!
Tim,

Someday...
Oh heck,
I thought you were just getting it completed!

My bad...
Did anyone notice that not only did the deer die quickly.....but the tree didn't require a long tracking job either.

By the way....how can you tell if a bullet is gay? I didn't even know bullets came in different sexes
I have the rifle and have been hemming and hawing about the configuration. I will get done in '08.
Ah, ok.

I think that sounds like a nice setup, regardless.

BTW, I am in the middle of picking up a Kimber Montana in a 308, I have it's 'big brother,' a 325WSM Montana, and I love the simplicity and lack of weight when it comes to hiking/hunting with that rifle platform.

smile
I would have done the same thing, but they don't think that lefties hunt.

I might get a Tikka T3 stailess LH to sit next to the M70.

For now, it's pretty sick 7600 and I'm not missing much!
Does sound like it will be a nice rifle when complete. Personally I'd go with a rust blue and a AAA walnut stock (the last two rifles I built the stock blank cost more than the action and barrel together) but that's the good thing about a custom job.....you build it how YOU want it.
Originally Posted by TexasRick
Did anyone notice that not only did the deer die quickly.....but the tree didn't require a long tracking job either.

By the way....how can you tell if a bullet is gay? I didn't even know bullets came in different sexes

Gay bullets have pastel plastic tips grin
Originally Posted by stillhunter73

LMFAO!!!!!!

TFF!

BTW, Mississippi, nice deer.
Nice handle ya got there too. We've got a QB up in this neck of the woods that Genius Glanville used to call "Mississippi". grin
OK, back to the point... that's a great photo, a happy hunter, a really good bullet and a very fine dead deer taken with THE CLASSIC whitetail round in a classic rifle... and the tree didn't require tracking... Gandalf would be happy grin

Gandalf?

Who iss he, my preciousss??
grin

edited: had to add some 'sss'
I'm puttin my ring on...
Another LOTR fan, cool...
I've based my entire life on Aragorn... ain't workin out for me tho grin
I could see old 'Strider' doing the backpack hunting deal, yeah...
:Grin:
Brad. Tim. You guys are scaring me.
I did use a longbow for a while... not too successfully tho!
Originally Posted by SKane

You're welcome grin
Originally Posted by SKane

Sorry Skane,
I have been a Tolkien Fan since I was about 12yrs old...
grin
Tim, I first read Tolkein in 1974 at the height of the Middle Earth craze... was a teenager and totally captivated.

I'm still convinced Strider was a 308 man grin
No need to apologize, well, yes there is..... grin
Brad,

I think I would want a TSX going up against this fellow:
eek

[img][IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p79/timdbrose/800px-Diego_Romo_-_Sauron_The_Lo-1.jpg[/img][/img]
Cup and core through the eye hole would suffice.
Tim, I first read Tolkein in 1974 at the height of the Middle Earth craze... was a teenager and totally captivated.

I'm still convinced Strider was a 308 man grin

Brad,
Was about 1979? for me, I have been ruined ever since...

Aragorn would strike me as using something like the 308, yeah!
Originally Posted by TexasRick

Shoot it in the shoulder and find the bullet in the ass...
None ever captured Middle Earth like the Hidebrandt Brothers... phenomenal illustrators.

www.spiderwebart.com/productsd.asp?snob=104158
Mississippi,

Darn sure glad that bullet worked on that "cull" buck. I'd be tickled to run into him in the areas I hunt! Congrats on the buck and thanks for posting the pics.
There's going to be a bookclub forum spawned onto the campfire if you guys keep this up...
Chawn,
What do they say: 'hijacking the thread,' no?
grin
My go to deer bullet in the .308 is 165 speer pushed by a bunch of varget.....pretty much bang flop everytime.

Lefty
Go ahead; truthfully it's more interesting than ballistics smile
Don't get me started!
Rick will ban me, for sure...
grin
None ever captured Middle Earth like the Hidebrandt Brothers... phenomenal illustrators.

I agree(with the last part).... grin

http://www.spiderwebart.com/enlarge.asp?image=105973.jpg

Reminds me of the bathroom walls of the Plonk........
LOL, you've been to Plonk?

I didn't know they served beer grin
were does the the term cull buck come into play on this deer,what was the age?
there was a major drought this year,and from viewing some footage of deer from the past few years,(some) of the deer did not grow hardley any inches on there racks on or farm this year,if any,and yes we could tell they were the same deer from years of pics,some others have noticed the same thing this year with the drought.
nice big 6 you got there.
Bastards don't have Bud Light.....

Rasmussen drags me in there every once in awhile and I'm forced to drink whiskey......grin

The first time we(I) went in there(LONG night), I left without paying the tab on my debit card...
Next morning I can't find my card. No big deal, just go back to the bar and get it right?
Wrong, I went into two bars, both of which weren't the Plonk, and asked the bartender to settle up my tab.
I finally called Joe to ask were the hell we ended up that night.
Maygan was quite impressed when she came to pick me up for the ride home........grin

I don't mind the scenery at the Plonk, just a little 'hoity toity' for an old farm boy...LOL
Originally Posted by SamOlson
just a little 'hoity toity' for an old farm boy...LOL

grin

Yeah well, I'm a little suspect now... sister at, where is it, Harvard?

grin
Sister is a smart young women(Thank God for scholarships!), she graduates this spring...

A clean shirt and jeans equals dressed up for me....... grin
And it's Haaaaavard, Brad.......LOL
Sam, that's just cool! Congrat's to her, really impressive. Montana is full of some of the down-to-earth smartest folks anywhere.

A few years back I was down at the lumber yard (bear in mind I said Lumber Yard) working on the framing package for a house I was building... gent there was helping me looking over my plans. Somehow it came up he would be gone the following week at his College Class Reunion... course I asked him where he went to school... answer, "DARTMOUTH."

I nearly fell over! Native Montanan on scholarship too...
Trophytaker308,
A cull buck is a buck you want to take from the herd based on his genetic trait of growing a less than trophy rack. The buck I shot is at least 3.5 years old and possibly 4.5 years old (our biologist will age him based on his jaw bone). A mature typical 6 point, in most cases, will just be a bigger 6 point next year and you do not want to have him in your deer herd breeding more 6 points. I hunt on 10,000 acres of private land located on the big black river in Hinds county MS. The soil on this property has the potential to produce some great trophies. Here is a picture of a trophy deer from our hunting property (21" wide and scores in the 140s).
[Linked Image]
yea i know what a cull buck is,some do some dont.
its was a really nice six anyway you look at it,and thats a nice 8 there,any 8 that will make 140 is one heck of a 8 pointer.
Fine deer and a nice rifle. I loaded 110 grain accubonds for my son to shoot out of his .257 Roberts this year. He shot his first buck at about 65 yards, through the ribs, and for all I know that bullet is still sailing.. Deer ran only 25 yards, if that, before piling up.
nice.
Thanks Brad, I'm pretty proud of her....

Sorry about he hijack Mississippi, nice bucks!
I hope you did a better job gutting that deer than you did on the tree...
Mississippi: those 165 Accubonds are great bullets! Have a nice string of one-shot kills with them out of my .308's including whitetails, auodad and big axis deer.

Shot a meat doe last Friday with a 165 in my 30-06 (2890 fps). Deer was bedded, facing me, round went into front chest chewed up the lungs punched through the paunch and broke the rear leg as it exited with a nickel-sized hole. Critter never moved.

Certainly, you don't NEED premiums for deer but since I only shoot seconds (shootersproshop.com) it's not costing me any more and I have one load for everything including elk. Nice buck by the way!
I built a 7x57 instead of a 308 because I got a great price on the barrel. But the 308 thing wouldn't go away and my next one is close to completion. Accubonds are fine as are just about anything else is in the 308 including corelokts.
© 24hourcampfire