Home
Posted By: lubbockdave Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/10/08
You sorry SOB's have that little bug gnawing at me with all this talk about the Cooper rifle. I have to ask, what does the Cooper rifle offer that the Tikka does not? Sounds like they are both accurate as all get out, and after that, what else really matters?

(I am trying to talk myself out of one of these...please HELP!!!)

Dave
Posted By: mud_bogger Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/10/08
well for one thing the coopers are awfully purty. cant say that about the tikka

if you listen carefully you can acctually hear a lil voice inside your head saying "get the cooper....get the cooper"
Posted By: AFTERUM Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/10/08
mercedes vs ford focus?
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/10/08

If you don't know what else really matters, stick with the Tikka.

It's the perfect rifle for you.
Posted By: lubbockdave Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/10/08
Originally Posted by mud_bogger
well for one thing the coopers are awfully purty. cant say that about the tikka

if you listen carefully you can acctually hear a lil voice inside your head saying "get the cooper....get the cooper"

Dang it bogger, STOP THAT!

Dave
cooper....cooper get the cooper the voices say. lifes to short to hunt with an ugly gun get the cooper an you'll be happy grin

just tryin to help. im sure you would do the same for me grin grin
Originally Posted by WhelenAway

dude, that's harsh
Posted By: 340boy Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/10/08
Originally Posted by AFTERUM
mercedes vs ford focus?

+1

I have not owned either, but if I had the bucks already in hand, you can bet I would buy the Cooper!

cooper....cooper get the cooper the voices say. lifes to short to hunt with an ugly gun get the cooper an you'll be happy grin

just tryin to help. im sure you would do the same for me grin grin

my friend... crazy grin
I know I got my eye on a cooper pheonix in 204 that the local sportsmens warehouse has.
Originally Posted By: WhelenAway

dude, that's harsh

Sorry ! frown

Just thought a slap in the face might set you straight.

GET THE COOPER

_
Posted By: BCBrian Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/10/08
I have a better idea - spend what you were prepared to spend on the Cooper - and get a Sako - and maybe have enough left over for a fine scope. smile
I have a better idea - spend what you were prepared to spend on the Cooper - and get a Sako - and maybe have enough left over for a fine scope.

Sorry to break it to you, but a Cooper Jackson Hunter with synthetic stock costs very little more than a Sako Finnlite, and comes with a stock you don't immediately want to replace.

Of course if you want nice wood, you pay a little more, but then there is truly no comparison.

Then there's the Cooper 1/2" accuracy guarantee. IIRC Sako only guarantees 1".

_
Posted By: ChipM Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/10/08
We carry rifles in the field alot more then we shoot them, so to me it better be pretty to look at. If I'm not mistaken you are trying to thin the herd and get down to one rifle, why not have that rifle be the best you can afford..as said, listen to the voices and ....get the cooper, cooper, cooper
what would you scope your Cooper 52 in say...25-06 or 270 win?

Dave
what kinda country you goona be using it in?

for me it would either be a 3-9x40 or a 4.5-14x40
Posted By: RAS Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/10/08
Originally Posted by 340boy
Originally Posted by AFTERUM
mercedes vs ford focus?

+1

I have not owned either, but if I had the bucks already in hand, you can bet I would buy the Cooper!

Not me. I would take the Tikka......then take the rest of the $ and get tags, airfare and so on and go on a great hunt. Critter wont know the difference between the two.
but the shooter will

besides from the sounds of his last post, we almost have his mind made up for him. You tryin to ruin all our hard work? grin
Posted By: dshoe Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/10/08
Damn! I'm currently salivating pretty bad over here, too. I had to just checkout the Cooper website again (I've been on there before, also). So, when considering the model 52, what's the difference between the Classic version and the Jackson Game version? They are stated to only be $100 in difference of price. Anyone have any pics of the Jackson? Cooper's website is not very generous as far as pics are concerned. Thanks...
Hey, I'm not trying to start trouble but look at the pm I just sent you. That is a beauty
Posted By: eblues Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/10/08
Over the years the upper-end firearms I've purchased have increased in value, the others have not. If you buy the cooper, even though it's rough on the wallet, I believe you'll be glad you did in the future.

dshoe, here's some pics:

http://www.hendershots.net/gunRoom.aspx?catid=16
Originally Posted by ChipM
Hey, I'm not trying to start trouble but look at the pm I just sent you. That is a beauty

that you sent me? or somebody else?
Posted By: tominboise Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/10/08
I have Coopers and Tikkas (4 coopers and 3 tikkas). Since my Coopers are varmint rifles and the Tikkas are big game rifles, it's not really apples to apples, but I will say this, that when you grab the Cooper and start handling it, it's got a bit more soul, if you know what I mean, then the Tikkas. If you don't mind getting it dinged up hunting, I'd take the Cooper if it fits you and you handle it well. Either the Coopers or Tikkas will shoot rings around anything else, really, out of the box and for the money, the Coopers are hard to beat with their high end features (when compared to other custom rifles. Plus, they are made in Montana, which I like as I am a native of that great state.
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/10/08
we almost have his mind made up for him. You tryin to ruin all our hard work? grin

Hard work!?!? No pics and you guys are callin' this HARD WORK!?!? Get busy and post some pics!!! That's rule #1 when it comes to stokin' a gun boner.... cool
Originally Posted by Nebraska
[That's rule #1 when it comes to stokin' a gun boner.... cool

I can only stoke one of them at a time. An its my turn damnit
Posted By: duckster Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/10/08
I have the Jackson Game in M52 and it is mostly in stock design, the Jackson has a rollover cheekpiece and the Classic a shadowline cheekpiece and different checkering. Look at the main page and there are pictures of the different stocks, although some are even in .22 configuration, you can get the idea.
Posted By: duckster Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/10/08
Originally Posted by lubbockdave
what would you scope your Cooper 52 in say...25-06 or 270 win?

Dave

I went with VX3, 2.5x8 on a Cooper .280
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/10/08
If I were to drop that much $$ on the rifle, I'd probably want a VX III 3.5-10x40 with a B&C reticle because that would most likely be the only rifle I could afford to own.... blush
Posted By: SKane Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/10/08

Soooo, does anyone have a pict of their Jackson Hunter with a synthetic handle? Thinking I might "need" one of those. grin
Man, that synthetic stock with a blued action and a stainless pipe would be the szchit.

BTW, Dave, buy the Cooper.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/10/08
I put a VXII 4-12 Leupold with an M1 turret for vertical on my 25-06 M52. Looks really good on there. I have only loaded 115 Combined Technologies so far for it, which of course shot under .5" with the first loads tested. I am waiting on a weather break to test 100 BT, 100 TSX, and 120 Partitions in it. Can't go wrong with a Cooper.
Posted By: tuck2 Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/10/08
It my age eye candy is my pair of Cooper 57 M LVT , 17 HM2 and 17 HMR rifles. I m going to stop and open the gun valt and give my eyes a treet . I need to head up to Montana and look at a Cooper 308 Win .
these arent quite the coopers that your lookin for but youll get the idea.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...lat/Number/1930455/page/1/gonew/1#UNREAD
Originally Posted by ChipM

that you sent me? or somebody else?

Sorry, sent it to lubbockdave
well that explains why I didnt get your pm grin grin
Posted By: RickyD Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/10/08
I have both a Tikka and a Cooper. If you can afford the Cooper, buy the prettiest one you can find. You will never regret it. And if you do, I'll trade you a Tikka for it. grin
Posted By: Huntz Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/10/08
Jeez,Im a sucker for pretty wood.I`ll get a 52 someday!!!!
Posted By: woofer Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/10/08
dave, you need to find one to hold. really... they shoot beyond belief. they defy all laws of what is need for an accurate rifle. they have zero bedding. wood stock even... buddy shot his in the twos and you could rattle the action in the stock... found the screws were a tad loose from the last cleaning. just astounding... you would spend a fortune trying to duplicate one with you own action much less someone else's...

go buy one. right now.........

woofer
Posted By: Seven_Heaven Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/11/08
I was looking at one in 280 Rem. and the test target showed an awesome group however, it was shot using "match king" bullets and a 36 power scope. Not exactlly what most would take hunting.
Not bashing Coopers as I assume they shoot well with hunting ammo and scopes also. And they are sooo purty!

I was just surprised that they were not test fired with more appropriate ammo and scopes. Coopers are probably like Harleys, there are two kinds of people, those who have one and those who wish they had one.

Posted By: mud_bogger Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/11/08
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven
however, it was shot using "match king" bullets and a 36 power scope. Not exactlly what most would take hunting.

your right not what most would take hunting. It is IMO a vissual reassurance that you are buying a shooter. Put a 3-9 on it an find a huntin bullet it likes an it will still be a shooter, might not be as tight as the test target but will most likely be close IMO
Posted By: SKane Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/11/08
Originally Posted by SKane

Soooo, does anyone have a pict of their Jackson Hunter with a synthetic handle?

Back to my question please!!!!!! grin
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/11/08

Originally Posted By: Seven_Heaven
however, it was shot using "match king" bullets and a 36 power scope. Not exactlly what most would take hunting.

your right not what most would take hunting. It is IMO a vissual reassurance that you are buying a shooter. Put a 3-9 on it an find a huntin bullet it likes an it will still be a shooter, might not be as tight as the test target but will most likely be close IMO

You're right. Mine has a single hole group about .020 IIRC when I miked it.

Change bullets, scopes, etc. and it's still going to satisfy their .5" guarantee, and probably beat it by a fair amount.

_

Soooo, does anyone have a pict of their Jackson Hunter with a synthetic handle?

Here's a couple pics. Sorry about the quality.

[Linked Image]

Stock is textured black with deep red webbing.
[Linked Image]

Typical Cooper test target.
[Linked Image]
WA-
Quality is fine on that pict. (and thank you!)
I'm a wee confused by Cooper's website.
(I'm VERY easily confused BTW)
Do they make a classic stock configuration for the Jackson hunter or do all synthetic configurations have the rollover cheek and wider forearm?

Oh yeah, and, Dave - did I mention, buy the Cooper?!! grin

whellenAway.

Is that the pheonix?
Posted By: 17ACKLEYBEE Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/11/08
I kind of look at it this way. My guns are used for hunting and calling. The Tikka is a repeater and the Cooper repeater comes in no Varmint calibers yet. The Tikka will shoot better than MOA that is all you need for most hunting. I can buy two Tikkas for the cost of one Cooper. Yep I'll take the two fer.

Do they make a classic stock configuration for the Jackson hunter or do all synthetic configurations have the rollover cheek and wider forearm?

It's the Jackson Hunter configuration, and that is the only synthetic stock style available. If you want a Classic style stock you're just stuck with (usually extremely nice) wood.

_

_

I kind of look at it this way. My guns are used for hunting and calling. The Tikka is a repeater and the Cooper repeater comes in no Varmint calibers yet. The Tikka will shoot better than MOA that is all you need for most hunting. I can buy two Tikkas for the cost of one Cooper. Yep I'll take the two fer.

Some people consider the 25-06 a good varmint caliber. Just not PD gun.

Another correction: You can buy three Tikkas.

_

Another correction: You can buy three Tikkas.

but why grin

Never understood that line of thinking either.

When I am hunting the second and third rifle just seem to get in my way, and bang into stuff. grin

Give me one good one anytime.

_
Posted By: M. Saenz Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/11/08

This has to be the best response I have ever seen on this forum.
Posted By: dshoe Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/11/08
You all are a bad influence! I stopped in at a local shop when I was out for lunch earlier today. They have a bunch of Cooper's in stock. No model 52's though. They had a couple recently, but of course both are long gone. I did fondle a model 22 though. Very nice! Heavy though, like many of you have mentioned. I asked about ordering a model 52. I was told that it can certainly be done for me, but it would be an estimated 6 - 8 month wait right now before I would actually get it. I haven't ordered one, yet.

SKane - they had one of them Jackson Hunters on the shelf. I didn't fondle it, but did glance at it for a bit. It looked nice enough. I wasn't that interested in it though since I recently picked up a Kimber Montana a few months back, and now I have a hankering for some fine wood and bluing.

Never understood that line of thinking either.

When I am hunting the second and third rifle just seem to get in my way, and bang into stuff. grin

Give me one good one anytime.

_

got friends that think that way. they figure more in quanity not quality
I kind of love those Cooper test targs, anyone know what range they're shot at...? grins

Dober
Posted By: 17ACKLEYBEE Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/11/08
It's way sort of a 100 yards isn't it Dober?
Yeah about half ways to 100 if I recall right... cool

Dober

It's the Jackson Hunter configuration, and that is the only synthetic stock style available. If you want a Classic style stock you're just stuck with (usually extremely nice) wood.

Thanks WA.
Note to Cooper - sale pending configuring the long actions in a classic style synthetic.

Yep, the wood and blue on those is superb but I wanna hunt with it. Putting a nice dent in Claro would make that day's hunt just a little less enjoyable for me..... grin
Posted By: 30338 Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/11/08
My 22-250 test target was the typical one hole. Course my then 12 year old shot a .12 3 shot group at 100 yards with it. The indoor range at Cooper is around 46 yards if I remember right. I have never seen one not surpass the .5" guarantee.

Yep, the wood and blue on those is superb but I wanna hunt with it. Putting a nice dent in Claro would make that day's hunt just a little less enjoyable for me.....

I know what you're saying, but I have a mix of nice wood and synthetic, though I am really a wood-stock lover.

One way to look at it is that the wood-stocked rifle may be pretty ugly after 20 years, but the synthetic stocked one is ugly from day one.

If you can keep that in mind it may be easier to overlook a ding or two.

_
Posted By: Foxbat Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/11/08
Originally Posted by dshoe
Damn! I'm currently salivating pretty bad over here, too. I had to just checkout the Cooper website again (I've been on there before, also). So, when considering the model 52, what's the difference between the Classic version and the Jackson Game version? They are stated to only be $100 in difference of price. Anyone have any pics of the Jackson? Cooper's website is not very generous as far as pics are concerned. Thanks...

They are both wood stocks though I think they are a different style. My understanding is the big difference between the JG and Classic is the JG is Stainless and the classic is blued. I think the Classic is a straight comb and the JG is a rollover.

I have a Jackson Hunter being built in .280 AI right now by them. Can't wait to get it.
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/12/08

I have a Jackson Hunter being built in .280 AI right now by them. Can't wait to get it.

You're going to love your Jackson Hunter. I bought two of them right away (.270 and 30-06). My thought was that they were so nice that the price was sure to increase. I sold the one of them (unfired) when I found out they were going to chamber the 35 Whelen.

As far as the wood stocked Classic vs. the Jackson Game, the rollover on the Jackson Game is the most noticeable difference, but the Jackson Game also has a wider forearm with finger grooves and no checkering. The Classic is a straight comb classic style stock with checkering fore and aft.

I was hoping to buy one of the gorgeous Custom Classics, but I am just not crazy about the high polish blue. Otherwise, it is outstanding, and reasonably priced for what it is.

Of course, maybe they would do one in matte? grin

_

Posted By: Foxbat Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/12/08
Whelen, yeah they did raise the prices a little, not that it matters as they are still a great rifle for the money IMO.
I wish they would make the .308 (family) action into a repeater, but they told me on the phone they have no plans to do so right now.
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/12/08

I wish they would make the .308 (family) action into a repeater, but they told me on the phone they have no plans to do so right now.

I think if you read their web-site they talk about their decision regarding which action size to make "first", so maybe it's just a matter of waiting for awhile. frown

_
Posted By: duckster Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/12/08
I had not heard that they were going to start chambering the .35 Whelen? Is that on the website? I might have to retire my M700 Classic for a new .35 Whelen!
Posted By: SKane Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/12/08
Duckter, retire the Classic? That's just silly talk... grin
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/13/08

You would have to do a search, but someone on this forum reported it directly from Cooper, and I have seen it in print as well.

35 Whelen was a given, and 338-06 was probable. grin

_
Posted By: mud_bogger Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/13/08
I think the real question that lubbockdave was trying to ask was not cooper or a tikka. But rather wich cooper should he get
Posted By: 30338 Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/13/08
Beautiful 25-06 classsic on gunbroker right now at $1300 with a few hours to go.
Posted By: lubbockdave Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/13/08
Originally Posted by 30338
Beautiful 25-06 classsic on gunbroker right now at $1300 with a few hours to go.

shhhhh!!
heres the link grin
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=89456074
STOP IT!
I hope like Hell ya'll are right and they are worth the money...

Dave
Posted By: dshoe Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/13/08
Congrats on the win, Dave! Saw where you just recently won. Out of curiosity though, per the winning bid amount, isn't that about what a new one would run if ordered directly from Cooper? I saw where the one you got has the upgraded French walnut wood though. So, maybe a new one from Cooper would run a little more. The wood on this one looks very nice, by the way. Any idea what the wood upgrade tends to run in price?
Originally Posted by lubbockdave
I hope like Hell ya'll are right and they are worth the money...

Dave

grin grin grin
well if we are wrong just remember it was 30-338 that brought up that particuar gun.
Posted By: Foxbat Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/13/08
I think he did alright. I think the wood upgrade is like $250 and he gets it now instead of having to wait 6 months. He paid about $100 less than he could have ordered it for and doesn't have to wait.

Looking at that target card, what's not to love. Looks like a .3" MOA rifle with gorgeous wood to boot.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/14/08
Heading to the range this week with 5 different bullets to run in my Cooper 25-06. Pm me later if you are interested in any of the results. I think you did fine on the prices as that one looked completely new to me. Now order some Talley rings and you are good to go.
Posted By: BCBrian Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/17/08
WhelenAway,

Now you made me do a whole new round of due diligence comparing Cooper's offerings with those of Sako. It was fun doing the research. I enjoy reading about rifle companies that guarantee the accuracy of their products. I won't deal with any other kind of company, personally.

I think you are right - the Cooper's do seem to be great rifles made for reasonable prices - like Sako.

For me, the Sako wins (so far) due to the fact I don't think I'll ever be able to notice the difference hunting big game - between a rifle that shoots into a half an inch versus one that is guaranteed to shoot five shots into an inch.

I don't know why I'd ever want to replace the Sako 85's synthetic stock - as the rifle is guaranteed accurate with it, it's light, and it's able to withstand recoil up to a 375 H&H.

But, the Sako is available in a lot of cartridge options that are larger than the 30-06 cartridge that the Cooper maxes out at. The Sako has a magazine that holds two extra rounds - compared to a Cooper. The synthetic Sako weighs almost a full pound less than the synthetic Cooper too.

I'm sure I'd love either brand, they both sound like awesome rifles, but those are my reasons for leaning towards Sako, at least at this moment in time.

Posted By: Foxbat Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/17/08
You're right on the mag cap and the offerings above the 30/06 family but where are you getting that the Sako 85 synthetic weighs a full pound less than the Cooper 52? They both weigh 7 3/4 lbs, unless you are looking at the finnlight which is a different animal than comparing the Sako 85 to Cooper 52.
Posted By: crittergetter Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/17/08
I guess I'm screwed up I don't and wouldn't want any rifle with a wood stock,I don't care how PRETTY they are.There's just to many good looking sythectics out there,or you can send them to CAS or Rick Bin to paint for you and I don't like single shots either.
http://www.sako.fi/pdf/specs/85SyntheticSS.pdf

This page shows Sako's REGULAR SYNTHETIC STAINLESS rifle to weigh between 6 3/16ths in short actions to 7 lbs even - in the .375 H&H.

That means the lightest Sako's are more than a pound and a half (!) lighter than the 7 3/4 pound Cooper.
http://www.sako.fi/pdf/specs/85Finnlight.pdf

This site shows different specifications - the ones for the Finnlight Model.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/17/08
Critter: I like a good synthetic as well as the next guy, but jeez......you are "hard-core"!!! grin

Didn't you ever see a wood stocked rifle you liked?

I'm sure Rick and CAS do a great job on synthetics, but did you ever see CAS' 416 by WIEBE? If that doesn't make you swoon, you got no soul! smile
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/17/08
Brian,

I'll admit it: I have a real hang-up on synthetic stock construction.

I like a quality laid-up kevlar/fiberglass stock. I just won't own a rifle with a tupperware stock, rubbery panels, or overmolding. So, not many factory synthetic stocks satisfy me.

If I am going to hunt with a synthetic stocked rifle instead of nicely figured wood, it needs to be good looking, and top quality.

I know cost control is important, but if I am shelling out $1300 dollars or so for a rifle is it too much to ask that it have a good stock?

Regarding the Sako weight figures, I have owned quite a few Sako 75s, including a Finnlite (sold unfired due to the stock) and I never had one that didn't feel heavier than it's domestic equivalent. I think Sako needs to actually weigh some of them, instead of publishing their design targets.

The 30-06 family of cartridges satisfies most of my needs, especially with the addition of the 35 Whelen and 338-06, but you are correct that if I want a magnum I need to look elsewhere.

Magazine capacity is not a big deal to me, but I know some think it important. You really should feel how silky-smooth that single-stack magazine feeds though. (and the finish on the magazine matches the rest of the metalwork, unlike on my Finnlite).

As far as accuracy goes, clearly a 1 moa hunting rifle is an accurate rifle. But, it's no 1/2" rifle either.

_
Taliban over Tikkas!
Posted By: Foxbat Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/18/08
Originally Posted by BCBrian
http://www.sako.fi/pdf/specs/85SyntheticSS.pdf

This page shows Sako's REGULAR SYNTHETIC STAINLESS rifle to weigh between 6 3/16ths in short actions to 7 lbs even - in the .375 H&H.

That means the lightest Sako's are more than a pound and a half (!) lighter than the 7 3/4 pound Cooper.

I was looking at the American Beretta site for Sako which lists them at 7 3/4 lbs.

http://www.berettausa.com/product/product_rifles_main.htm

I've handled synthetic Sako 85's and I have a hard time believing they are 6 3/16 lbs. Though I don't know that they are 7 3/4 lbs. Which site is right? Beats me.
Posted By: crittergetter Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/18/08
Yes I've seen CAS's 416 it's beautiful as you say it is BUT I've got enough to worry about when hunting or traveling with my rifles,if I ding or gouge a paint job no big deal,but ding or gouge an expensive wood stock major repair to make look new again.NOT WORTH IT TO ME.
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/18/08

I think 7-3/4 is a helluva lot more believable to me. Think Winchester M70 Classic Sporter.

Never handled a really "light" Sako, and that includes the Finnlite I owned. It gets even worse with a half-ton of Optilocks. They definately aren't what you would call svelte.

_
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/18/08

I ding or gouge a paint job no big deal,but ding or gouge an expensive wood stock major repair to make look new again.NOT WORTH IT TO ME.

Look at it this way once:

You could hunt with a nice wood stock for 20 years before it starts to look ugly . . . . but the synthetic stock is ugly from day one. frown

Not sure why you would worry more about the looks of the wood one than you do about the looks of the synthetic?

_
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/18/08
Critter: You're right there; I used to, but I don't like traveling anymore with real expensive rifles.Most of what I hunt with is synthetic.
Posted By: TexasRick Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/18/08
Got to agree with Whelen......the term "good looking-synthetic" is a contradiction of terms. Kind of like "rap-music"....the two terms don't belong in the same sentence.

As to choosing the Cooper over the Tikka..... the Cooper is one of the most attractive rifles on the market while the Tikka has a strange looking bolt handle, a wierd and ugly checkering pattern and the magazine hangs down like a pot-belly pig......even if it is stocked in walnut, it's still inferior to the Cooper.
Posted By: crittergetter Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/18/08
Hey guys I'n not knocking those of you that like them,I'm saying just not my cup of tea.Go to gunsmith forum and see my 325 WSM, CAS painted the stock and cerakoted the rifle,installed Hunter bolt knob and tell me that's ugly, if so no problem,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,except your 1 SICK PUPPY.THANKS
Posted By: TexasRick Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/18/08
Critter....just looked at your rifle on the gunsmith forum. I'll repeat your own words.....just not my cup of tea. The work does look first rate though and I was a bit surprised at how the spray paint (errr.....cerakote) finish looks. Not as bad as I exspected. The stock looks plastic to me and the bolt handle would look better on the end of a tire iron......but that's just me. If it looks good to you.....it works.

Had a partner who had the floorplate of his Ruger break about 10 years ago. Made an emergengy, in-the-field repair by removing the action from the stock and wrapping duct tape arounf the stock to hold the floorplate in place......that was 10 years ago and it's still that way. He does replace the duct tape every year and uses brown tape instead of the typical grey because he..."wouldn't want it to look ugly." It works for him and kills just as well even if the rest of us at camp cringe every time he pulls it out. That's kind of how I see your rifle.....not what I'd want, but it's not my rifle.
Posted By: duckster Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/18/08
I have two Sako M75s and the new Cooper M52. Can't tell much difference in weight between the M75 Hunter and the Cooper. My M75 stainless/syn in 7mm-08 is a touch lighter, but none of them are flyweights. I like a little heft, for me they handle better that way. I am not hiking any sheep mountains with any of them.
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/18/08

Exactly. No reason for me to read any further, as I'm QUITE sure the context of this thread this thread will only decline....
Posted By: mud_bogger Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/19/08
give it a break. If you didnt go jumpin the gun you would have seen a few posts later where he said this in reply to his first comment.

Sorry !

Just thought a slap in the face might set you straight.

GET THE COOPER

You probly would have also saw where lubbockdave caved an bought the cooper25-06 on GB.

Only spot on this thread that declined was when you decided to post.
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/19/08
It declined at "Cooper over a Tikka?" for me.......
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/19/08

Critter - I want to make it clear that I use both wood and synthetic stocks, but if I can never really warm up to the synthetic stocked rifles.

I took a look at your rifle. It certainly isn't ugly. It's a good looking rifle (though I could live without the pistol-grip shifter), and all of the work looks top-notch.

But it is so much more cold, and lifeless than it would be if it had a nicely figured wood stock.

As I said, I can never really warm up to them.

_

Posted By: duckster Re: Cooper over a Tikka? - 01/20/08
I appreciate the utility of synthetics and stainless, but I prefer the wood/blue look and feel. Unless the elements dictate otherwise, I will generally hunt with one of my wood stocked rifles. But, a nasty Quebec caribou hunt, give me a synthetic! That said, I have hauled my wood/blue .35 Whelen on a couple of horseback wilderness hunts, and now have the scratches and dings to prove it, but that was the rife I wanted for those particular hunts and it is a "hunting" rifle. If it gets bad enough, maybe I will restock it. Who knows?
© 24hourcampfire