Home
For me it's the 30/06 why? because everybody I know tries shoving it down my throat!
Now before you 06 lovers get your hackles raised.....I know its a very capable cartridge and can take everything in NA but, to me its boring, old and I have a .308 that can do just about anything the ol 06 can, and if it cant I have a 30/378 for that.
Let's see...for me, I think it's the 264 Winnie (grin). Just kidding. Actually, I'm pretty easy. I love 'em all.

PC
What cartridge do you hate/despise and why?

Why hate a cartridge? Why not be upset at the people that transgressed you? The cartridge made no such transgression... I say love for all cartridges [Linked Image]
Only one: 7.62x39.

It's hurt people I know and love.
Originally Posted by jwp475
What cartridge do you hate/despise and why?

Why hate a cartridge? Why not be upset at the people that transgressed you? The cartridge made no such transgression... I say love for all cartridges [Linked Image]

I knew somebody was going to say that.. grin
I would feel quite comfortable hunting with it but almost all my friends have one...relatives too and that makes me the black sheep I guess.
OK I love all cartridges.....how bout that. grin just cant stand it when they are being crammed down the gullet.
I don't hate any, but there's a slew that I don't have any use for, regardless of their virtues.
I don,t (HATE) any material object, thats kind of hard to justify, but I could easily sellect just over a dozen calibers and never miss useing the rest without thinking twice

Id bet you can,t think of a hunting condition one of these calibers won,t work reasonaby well for. naturally you could make a couple changes to suit your tastes but the vast majority of calibers are redundant

22LR
22hornet
22-250 rem
257 rbrts
270 wby
300 wby or 340 wby
10mm pistol
454 cassul
35 whelen
375H&H-or 378 wby
458 LOTT-or 505 gibbs
20 ga
10 ga

Originally Posted by BobinNH
I don't hate any, but there's a slew that I don't have any use for, regardless of their virtues.

Ditto. And some of them I even own....Like the .270 Winchester.

I have a "thing" against the .243 and the .308, even though I love short action rifles (especially when chambered in .260 Remington- go figure).

If I were given one in a rifle I like, then I might hold onto it for a while. But I'd only buy one if the price were damn good.

Kaiser Norton
Only the ones that fail to go bang, and that's an extreme rarity.
When I was about 18 years old I shot a 378 WBY with a weaver scope of some kind? Shot it one time off the bench and it busted my head open with the scope... I have never liked a 378 WBY after that..
I don't hate any particular cartridge but there are a few that I just don't understand what someone was thinking when they dreamed it up. Those would be:
.410 shotgun
.444 marlin
300 Rem Ultra Mag(because the 30-378 is just so popular crazy)
25 auto
17 remington / fireball
32-20 win
30 carbine
Originally Posted by Tom264
For me it's the 30/06 why? because everybody I know tries shoving it down my throat!
Now before you 06 lovers get your hackles raised.....I know its a very capable cartridge and can take everything in NA but, to me its boring, old and I have a .308 that can do just about anything the ol 06 can, and if it cant I have a 30/378 for that.

[Linked Image]

'Nuff said. laugh
MarkG, you're killing me, bro! My little .17 Remmie's make a nice little hole going in, and often no exit hole at all. If you're saving hides, you gotta love that, don'tcha?? Besides, the .17 Remmie and Fireball are so small and cute and that little wee bullet goes a'flyin' downrange at Warp Speed!! No recoil and very nice results!

And the 444 is one of my fave's, too! What's not to like about a modern-day Express round? Great big ol' honkin' bullets going out at respectable velocites...you gotta feel love for that! Besides, my 444 keeps my .45-70 from feeling lonely (ol' .45-70 actually has a couple of siblings in the closet, but they all make the 444 feel welcome).

Amen.

The list is long in my case.
I don't despise or hate any rifle cartridges, but two that I couldn't ever warm up to were the .280 Rem and 7mm Rem Mag. I hand loaded both and they were both very accurate but when it came time to hunt I still pulled the .270 out every single time. My brother-in-law is now the proud owner of my Savage 110 .280 Rem and my 7mm Rem Mag Win M70 now wears a .375 Ruger barrel. In fact I don't own a single 7mm cartridge in my safe.
There hasn't been a cartridge in history that I hate or despise, just some I like more than others.

Just bought my second .30-06. It joins my .30-30. .308W, .30-06 and .300WM, along with the non-30's. The older I get the more I respect this particular cartridge. Ain't giving up any of the others, though.
Most every wildcat, although I own and shoot a few.

Knowing what I know now, I have no use for an other one.
There are so many redundent cartridges out there already so I hate the new, the next and the new best cartridge. New things can be better, but more often than not its just a new way to do the same thing.
X2 on the .30-06. Any worthy hunter or rifle loonie got to have more imagination that that! wink I hate do-it-all cartridge.
Originally Posted by Tom264

Well, you're in a fine place at the 'Fire then since the '06 doesn't get a lot of press here, certainly a lot less than it probably deserves. That said, it hasn't been the first one I'd pick up for a lot of years simply because it takes the guesswork (and consequently fun) out of hunting for a lot of folks who are just a bit loony in the "what if" department - which, I think, includes a bunch of the handloading, rifle loony crowd. There is nothing quite so boring as the '06 and a 180 Partition. I would imagine the two have been used like no other combination, more times, except for perhaps the same weight Core-Lokt, than any other single rifle/cartridge combo. It is known what will happen. That's boring. Now, a 7mm-08 with 160 Partitions on moose; that would be more interesting, right? Or what about a 325 WSM with A-Frames for bear?

If I were to start hating a cartridge, it would probably be the one my wife would like the most because it would mean I could whittle things down. Certainly the list would be short and include things like the 30-06, 338, and 223. I ain't going there.
Im thinken that this would be a cartridge on the bad list..:GRIN:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M-kJCxLpAk&feature=related
DELGUE, I didn't mean to offend, lol, shoot I am a 30-06 fanatic and look at the press it's getting! cry

But then again I come from a long line of very practical "no frills" people.

I'm with you on the 45-70, if that helps cool

Ditto. There are a few I don't have a use for. Two of the prime ones are the .308 & '06. They are decent rounds but never turned my crank. Don't have use for just about anything 7mm or anything that has RUM in the name. I might be willing to make an exception though if there was a .416 or .458 RUM.
i don't hate a particular cartridge but the combination of 38 or 357 in leverguns drives me nuts
No "hate" here. I got no use for the likes of the .250Sav, .257Bob, .30Carbine, 30-30, 300Sav, .308, .338Fed, 358Win, 35RM, etc. But that's just me, not throwing rocks, just personal pref.
Originally Posted by WyoJoe

Ditto. There are a few I don't have a use for. Two of the prime ones are the .308 & '06. They are decent rounds but never turned my crank. Don't have use for just about anything 7mm or anything that has RUM in the name. I might be willing to make an exception though if there was a .416 or .458 RUM.

Joe, I agree with you and Bob also. But I do not have much use for most of the cartridges introduced since 1950.
"Hate" is a pretty strong word but I can't abide any belted cartridge. I don't discount their effectiveness but they've just never appealed to me. I think I can honestly say I'll never own a rifle chambered to one.
I do have what I'd call a special dislike for the 7.62x39.
I hate steel cased ammo but not the cartridges. The reason? They're left at ranges scattered around. If the azzhats that burn their ammo (usually rapid fire spraying cases all over you) would pick them up it wouldn't be a problem. The only reason I have a little distain for AK/SKS rifles is they're the most common firearms using the steel cased stuff.
Because of a bad experience with a poorly stocked (i.e. too short) rifle early in my shooting career, I have a special dislike for the .308.
I hate the 30-06 for 2 reasons.
1) like others have said, nearly EVERYONE has one
2) I am extremely jealous it's track record

I find useless anything associated with RUM, RSAUM, WSM, WSSM, or the 7mm Rem.

If it says Sav, Win, Wby, or any other Rem I want it
I don't "hate" any cartridge. I do however, hate Remington and anything they make.
Amen on the 30-06 Tom. Same reason as yours.
I am quite content to let everyone pick what they want to shoot from the available cartridges, for whatever reason they have. But there are some cartridges I just plain don't understand.

What in the world is the 25 ACP about? Then there's the 22 WRM, which is now as expensive to shoot as my 223 reloads. Just doesn't seem like an attractive proposition, but maybe I'm missing something.

As the man said, it's differences of opinion that make horseraces and marriages with ugly women. I'm glad there are plenty of firearm and cartridge alternatives in the marketplace.
Its a 257 WBY. It's just so darn hard to find anything better!
The B-29. I tried to buy some dies from Redding and they laughed at me.
Dont hate/despise them, but any cartridge classifies as a belted magnum, any cartridge name followed by WSM or WSSM and any thing else that has caused the market to become so saturated with different calibers that prices cannot help but sky-rocket because of tooling and set up for so many different varieties, I ain't got use for.

Anything "Ackley Improved". Ackley improving doesn't really improve anything and has lead to the damaging of many fine old rifles chamber for classic cartridges like 280 Rem., 7X57, 30-06, .375H&H and others.
I don't hate any, but here's a list of cartridges I can do without.

Starting with:
Anything weatherby
Anything WSM, SAUM, RCM
Anything with belts.
Anything AI
Anything 8mm

Now for specific cartridges that I would not bring home regardless, unless it was going to be a donor action.

-243 win-first rifle and a couple bad experiences
-25-06-if you're going to burn that much powder you might as well have a bigger diameter.
7mm Rem Mag-everyone thinks they really have something
35 Whelen-Had a rifle that absolutely beat the crap out of me, I enjoy shooting my Rigby more than that old Whelen.
375 H&H- needs to be housed in too big a rifle for what the cartridge is. Old outdated case design. If I want a big bore, I want a BIG bore.
I don't have any real hate for a caliber/cartridge. But what I can't stand is the typical person that gravitates towards the idiot huge redundant 30 caliber magnums (the 30/378 and 300 RUM) WHY??? They won't really do anything that a 300 WM will take care of. I guess what I'm getting at, is that in the hands of your average hunter they give them a false sense of confidence to shoot at yardages that THEY HAVE NEVER PRACTICED AT!!! There might be 1 in 100 people out there with a big 30 that are going to put the time in at the range to really know that rifle well enough to take shots on game at 600 and beyond. IMO, average guys that buy this kind of rifle have small wee-wee's and rarely ever get out of the truck and really hunt (campfire members excluded of course.)

Now at least the 338 Lapua and 338 RUM have a real advantage over other 338 caliber guns, and if you really think you need a Big 30, I think you'd be better off going a big 338 instead. I'd like to add one to my collection, but in the form of a tactical style rifle to launch big MatchKings WAAAAY out there.

There's two categories out there:
Riflemen
and Guys With Rifles
any .17 caliber
Mule Deer,

Your hating the B-29 has got to really annoy the guy who designed it.You are so unfair! Where is the love? Can't we all just get along?

It's a terrific cartridge that is just a little ahead of its time.

Steve

Well, maybe. But I hear the only source of .29 caliber barrels went out of business.
Originally Posted by crittergetter
any .17 caliber

I've got to hear why? Believing too much magazine hype?

ML
Originally Posted by husqvarna
Anything "Ackley Improved". Ackley improving doesn't really improve anything and has lead to the damaging of many fine old rifles chamber for classic cartridges like 280 Rem., 7X57, 30-06, .375H&H and others.

Amen!
Well, I hate Ford F150 pickups. I mean, you can use the dang things for everything - hauling sand, towing campers and boats, getting groceries, taking the kids to school, riding the highway or back in the boonies, what's the fun in that?

I like to use a little Chevy LUV for cross country trips hauling a 26 foot trailer, 'cause it's really fun in the mountains, or even neater is in local traffic when you're going 45 mph and some guy makes a sudden stop in front of you. Talk about excitement!

Or conversely, I love commuting in my Freightliner. Nothing like chugging through all those gears every 2/10th of a mile in stop and go traffic to make for a fun routine, 5 days per week, 52 weeks per year!

It just makes me shake my head in wonder at these people that like practical stuff. Only got four words for them - bor ing mar oons!
How can you hate any cartridge? Seems like a lot of pent-up rage.

I have no use for anything less than 30 Cal�

And what about that 9mm Luger? I surly have no love for that.
I don't get too worked up over it but I have never liked the .308, .243, 7-08 or anything short and fat. Not that they are bad catridges but for anything they do I can usually find something else that does it better.
I always hated the .30-06. Everyone's got one. (Including me... I have about 6) What always bugged me, was that I was always told I should be using my '06 instead of something I like better... smile

Never liked the .223 for the same reasons. I always preferred the .222...

GH
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The B-29. I tried to buy some dies from Redding and they laughed at me.

laugh
I'm laughing with ya'!
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter

I find useless anything associated with RUM, RSAUM, WSM, WSSM, or the 7mm Rem.

If it says Sav, Win, or any other Rem I want it

Got to agree with you on those.
As a kid I hated my first deer rifle, it was a Winchester 94 in 30-30. At the time, my dad,older brothers and me were hunting the high desert regions of Nevada and Eastern California a lot. In those days(1955-1960)this wide open,read not a tree anywhere, area held a ton of deer. Most of which stayed just out of range for a 14 year old kid armed with a 30-30. My dad had a 270, my brothers had 270's and I got stuck with the families old 30-30. God, I how I wanted a real rifle. If my memory is correct, I once shot 13 times at one small buck before he'd stay down.

No hate, but I prefer cartridges born before me. I guess it's a classic case of age discrimination.
I hate the 257 bob, when I was young a kid at school that I hated had one, and he thought he was hot doo doo with it so I hated it too, and have never been able to warm up to it since.
pro i'm young enough that that fits most all for me i'm 34 so the only cartridge i think i have that was born after me is the 300 wsm now i feel like a toddler suddenly compared to cartridges
I can truthfully say I very much dislike 30-30. I think it is about a worthless caliber. Sorry, but honest opinion. Also, don't to much care for .338.
No real hate, but I've never liked the .338 Win Mag, or the 7mm Rem Mag and both make a lot of sense. Never a big .30-06 fan, but I have one that belonged to my grandfather that would be the last material possession I owned.

Love anything .35...the .35 Remington, the .358 Winchester, .35 Whelen, and the .358 Norma Magnum.
Don't really hate any. I have no use for .243/6mm as I have .22 and .25 centerfires. See no reason for magnums, except my .375 H&H. Useful for groundhogs: 300gr softoint in the chamber, backed by solids in the magazine, in case he charges. wink
There's nothing worse than being charged by a bull groundhog in rut, is there shootinurse?? If I lived in groundhog country I'd never leave the house without a 577 T-Rex laugh
The one round that I wont own is the .223. I just dont get it, I mean it does nothing my little .222 hasnt been doing since the 50's. I also think that its responsible for the decline in popularity of the .222, well I'm blaming it anyhow for killing off my favourite little round.

Steve
So much angst!

I can't think of any cartridge that I "hate". I reserve that feeling for muslim terrorists and commies. smile

My personal favorite sporting rounds though are the .44 Mag in a lever rifle, the 30-30, 7x57 Ackley, 30-06 and .270 Win.

My real favorites are the 7.62 NATO and the 5.56X45 cool
I don't hate any cartridges. That said, I get tired of some of the politicking followers of 30-06, it is only an average cartridge.
Originally Posted by .280Rem
No "hate" here. I got no use for the likes of .257Bob, .308, , 358Win,

Your Tiger license has just been suspended!!!! smile
my preferences in rifles have remained virtually intact and unchanged for 40 years...
my taste in cartridges shifts like the wind...

one good "do it all" rifle in a versatile chambering belongs in everyones safe... for me that has long been the .243 win in a classic styled bolt gun...
everything else simply adds spice..... john w
i hate the 7mm rem mag. the 300 win mag. so much more to offer!
I really don't hate ANY cartridge but I don't ever see myself owning a 270WIN, 7mmRM, 300WM, any WSM/SAUM/RUM and any Weatherby.

I like anything based on the 308, or 7x57 cases plus all 338s.

RH
No hate but I don't see myself buying any

WSM,
WSSM,
RSAUM,
RUM (I had a 375RUM split my noggin)
RCM

but I do own a 30/06:)

Robert
I have no hate for anything, but have no great confidence in the .243 for some reason.
The one caliber I will NEVER own is a .243Win. Not for any good reason, just cuzz. I've shot deer with 22/250 and 257Roberts and the 243 will do anything these will do so go figure ....

Short mags or RUMs don't blow my hair back either. I can live with a belted case anytime.
7mm Rem Mag--due to a bad experience with a poorly stocked rifle.

BMT
478 Weatherby. Kicks like an angry mule....
lmao

don't hate any of the cartridges, though like many here there's lots of them I don't personally have a use for.

I use the 7mm Rem mag and .338 win mag the most, mostly due to my age and when I came of age and what "was" hot as professed by the gunwriters when I was growing up and influenced by such things.

practical experience leads me to believe most everything I've done with a rifle could have been accomplished handily with an ought six.

but I've only owned one, briefly in a Sako. and the bolt was on the wrong side for me.

what continually cracks me up though is the number of guys that believe in the magic of the "arrow" I believe in the skill of the "Indian"
hi all. have to say the cartridge i despise most is the 280AI. i have never seen a point to it. if the 280 rem (which doesn't impress me either!) won't get it done, why wouldn't you step up to the 7mm rem mag.? the Ackley Improved just seems to be the "in" thing to do while not providing any substantial improvement over the 280 rem.-keith
while i don't hate them, it bothers me for some reason, that the 260 and 7-08 are so popular, why? because the 6.5x55 and the 7x57 have been around for a hundred years and still do it better than thier new foe's.
They don't do it better if you don't handload. They also don't work well in most handy short actions
Re: .280 Rem
A while ago I read that one J. O'Connor allegedly stated that had he known what he knew then, he would have explored the benefits of the .280 Rem over the .270 Win as he admitted that it had more potential than the .270.

I own 2 .270's;
3 .30-06's; 1 .308
I hate the 308 win: it reminds me that all the trouble I go through to shoot a stable of high performance rounds is just gilding the lilies.

Mid length cartridges dont work at all in short actions.

Short actions are not any more "handy" than intermediate length actions. They are just shorter. I could say that short actions are stubby and wont handle the versatile intermediate cartridges, and it wouldn'd be any more or less truthfull than calling short actions handy.

I find, at 6'2" and 240 pounds that short actions are awkward, but that is just me.
I am 6'3" 235lbs, and they seem handy to me. I can can feel a difference between nula 20's and 24's, Rem 700 short and longs, and Win 70 short and longs. Everyone is different I guess.
The 30-06 is one I'll never own...just because it's so damn popular probably. I once had a big decision to make whether to buy a 270, 30-06 or 308 and opted for a 270. Never looked back nor is there any reason to.
I hate the lack of respect any of my 30-06's get around real campfires.

Everyone just shrugs and looks away.

I guess it's just because the old cartridge is all about results and not about "bling".

It just gets no respect.
Brian it is respected by me.....I know what it can do and any critter in NA would be in trouble.
But like you said, it just gets it done with no bling and I kinda like flashy things.
I hate shotgun shells (all gauges) most of all...they're worse than crack!
Hate no caliber BUT am very unhappy with a M70 223 WSSM I purchased 2 yrs ago; have yet to get a good group with it. Its been bedded, trigger reworked and now having the crown redone..even my ruger 77 338WM shoots groups 1/3 of the size of that wssm
Hate is a pretty strong word.

I don't "like" the .243 Winchester for a couple of reasons. For years it was a little lite for really big deer (think Maine). That's no longer true with today's super bullets. More importantly, it basically killed off the .257 Roberts, which is a demonstrably better cartridge.
I dunno about hate, well yea I hate te 9mm, it has got to be the most useless so called "man-stopper" round ever made, and the 40s&W is a close second, maybe even more so, what wrong with a good old 45, im pretty sure they're track recond says enough, or the fact that something that old still out preforms most of these new plastic pieces(notice i said most) or even the 10mm for that mater, that is a great little round. as far as rifles go 7mm mags and 7mm-08 are alright, but i dont hunt alot of varmints so i really have no use for them, every one who has one thinks there huge, get a real gun. a 30-30 is on the list to, but you have to atleast give it the respect of an elder. how bout 6mm's i have a few barrels i got cheap but havent put them on anything, because i cant think of a caliber worth having, maybe a 6mm ppc, if i could feed it through an AR...hmmm...
© 24hourcampfire