Home
Posted By: medicman Tikka t3 lite in 30-06 - 04/02/08
I posted this in the first area but got little comments.

I am thinking of buying a tikka t3 lite in blue synthetic and wonder what if any experince hunters have had with them

I have seen two tikka with wood that are very accurate rifles. They are older and wonder how new ones stack up.

Randy
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Tikka t3 lite in 30-06 - 04/02/08
I got a .223 in this config. a couple years ago for my son. Nice gun. Accurate enough, good trigger and overall very well made.

Don't like the detachable magazine idea as I could loose it at some point and replacement price is steep. Can't loose a blind mag. or a hinged floor plate!

Posted By: NHOGHVN Re: Tikka t3 lite in 30-06 - 04/02/08
I had one but it was stainless instead of blue.

It was lightweight , well balanced , accurate , and had a great trigger.

I used it for 1 hunting season and killed 5 deer with it. Federal Fusion 165's shot 3/4" and were absolutely death on deer.

Some people don't like the detachable mags. Other than the price I did not see a problem with them.

I had a Trijicon Accupoint 3X9 mounted in lightweight Talleys on mine. A great combination.

Unfortunately I let a friend of mine talk me out of it. I miss that rifle.
Posted By: Sako Re: Tikka t3 lite in 30-06 - 04/02/08
I have a T3 lite in stainless that is 30-06.... i bought this gun to take hunting wne the weather is nasty since I am a Walnut & blued kind of guy.. smile However, I have found myself hunting with it more than I first thought.... It is light, fast handling, and very accurate... I cn easily shot 1/2 groups at 100 yards all day long.... This is done with the very first handloads I tried.... Never even tried something diffrent since it shot the first try so good....

Just for a point of referrence.... I "collect" Pre - 64 Win. model 70's and Sakos.... I hunt alot with these guns. I like nice rifles and do not have an issue with spending money on guns I like... With that said I think the best gun for the money is the Tikka T3 lite..........

The only thing I changed was I put a new recoil pad (screw on, no mods needed) on it from Limb saver.... I also used Talley light weight rings instead of the rings that came with the gun....

Buy one... you will not regret it.
I bought the same exact rifle from a guy off this board a few months back, I guess seeing is believing, here are several groups fired with different loads and bullets, from my t3, average for all groups is in the .5's you be the judge

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mikem2 Re: Tikka t3 lite in 30-06 - 04/02/08
After the first range visit and walk carrying the T3 light, you will be convinced, they are great shooters, light weight, and made well/durable. Added a Limbsaver recoil pad to the .308's we have and a .270 I scoped/dialed in/camo'd for a buddy. All shoot cloverleafs with Federal blue box ammo.

They do make good rifles for the price.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Tikka t3 lite in 30-06 - 04/02/08
Another satisfied customer. Mine is a stainless 30-06 with limbsaver pad and Leupold 2.5-8X scope. It is the lightest rifle I own as well as the most accurate. A lot of people worry about this plastic part or that plastic part breaking but they seem to be holding up just fine from all reporte I have read.
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Tikka t3 lite in 30-06 - 04/02/08
+1 to what JMR said!

Mine is a blue and synthetic 300 WSM. Has shot several 300 yard 5 shot groups of about 2 1/2" with factory ammo.
Great trigger, but did have a LimbSaver pad installed.

Two trips to Canada with no problems.
Posted By: Lee24 Re: Tikka t3 lite in 30-06 - 04/03/08
So far, my T3 Lite .30-06 shoots every kind of ammo well, not finicky at all. I have yet to try the match stuff in it.
Posted By: TERRY8mm Re: Tikka t3 lite in 30-06 - 04/03/08
I've got the T3 Lite in Stainless. Added the Limbsaver pre fit pad, lossened the trigger screw 1/4 turn and mounted a Weaver V9 in the factory rings.

It grouped regular old Remmy CoreLokts ,150 grn., so well I didn't try any other loads.

Gave it the old Krylon camo job.

Some of the best money I ever spent on a stock rifle.
you guys that are adding the limbsaver, is this adding a little more LOP to the gun?? that is the only thing I don't like about the gun, the pistol grip is more vertical, which leaves me wanting for another 1/2" of LOP, any ideas on a good way to gain this.
Posted By: DanAdair Re: Tikka t3 lite in 30-06 - 04/03/08
Buy one... I've got a T3 Lite in 338 Federal and I love it. Usually you buy a 600 dollar "project in a box" at that price point and then pay a smith to get the trigger decent, and then pay the smith to bed it right, and then pay the smith to screw another barrel on it and blueprint the action. Mine came right out of the box, I adjusted the trigger down to 2 3/4 Lbs and shot it. it groups just about every load I've fed it sub-moa (which Tikka does gaurantee it will shoot MOA) End of story...

Hell, buy two.

I plan on adding another one in 6.5x55 real soon smile
Posted By: DanAdair Re: Tikka t3 lite in 30-06 - 04/03/08
Oh yeah, spend the extra money and get it in stainless. You'll be glad you did. Then you really don't have to worry about getting it rusty if the weather gets nasty.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Tikka t3 lite in 30-06 - 04/03/08
Yes, adding the limbsaver does make the LOP a little longer. It won't be 1/2" but I noticed a difference. For me that was a disadvantage, but worth it to help reduce recoil on this light weight gun.
Posted By: Simoneaud Re: Tikka t3 lite in 30-06 - 04/03/08
get you a Tikka, you won't regret it. I have a Tikka wood/blue 270WSM. I have Tikka SYN/Stainless 270 and I am in the process of trading my not so accurate Ruger no. 1 7mm for a Tikka wood/Blue 7mm rem mag from budsgunshop. I have talley LW on all of them. great guns, very accurate out of the box.
Posted By: medicman Re: Tikka t3 lite in 30-06 - 04/03/08
Thanks so much which screw on limbsaver is it? does the Sako one fit or which.

I plan on checking out a stocking gun shop tomorrow and see how it fits. If they have a limbsaver to mount I will get it then.
Randy
Posted By: MightyPeace Re: Tikka t3 lite in 30-06 - 04/03/08
I have 2 T3's in the LS model-both in 270WSM with Optilock rings & bases and Leupold VX3 scopes. Love them, great shooters. I personally do not care for the T3 synthetics and got the LS models.

My reloads for my rifle with 140gr AB's shoots 0.217" @ 100metrers for a 5 shot group. The other shoots factory WS ammo (140 AB's) (wife's rifle) @ 0.5" groups.
Posted By: Mikem2 Re: Tikka t3 lite in 30-06 - 04/03/08
Medicman

Limbsaver 10011

Increasing the length of pull is a challenge, the limbsaver pad fits inside the stock. The design is not a flush mount to allow for adding a spacer.

Posted By: medicman Re: Tikka t3 lite in 30-06 - 04/03/08
Originally Posted by Mikem2
Medicman

Limbsaver 10011

Increasing the length of pull is a challenge, the limbsaver pad fits inside the stock. The design is not a flush mount to allow for adding a spacer.

Mikem2

Thank you for info

Randy
Just go and buy the dang thing before you change your mind. If you don't, I'm coming down there and whupp you good.

Big Brother Keith

And if you think the Limbsaver will make it too long for you, get a Pachmayr Decelerator or similar. I's a 30-06, not a 338 mag.
Posted By: Fishinado Re: Tikka t3 lite in 30-06 - 04/04/08
Adding the Limbsaver to my T3 Lite did not make the LOP too long, it did on my Sako 75 Syn though, 14 1/4" to be exact. I plan on taking the Sako to the stock guy to see if we can grind it down a bit.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Tikka t3 lite in 30-06 - 04/04/08
Just go buy it & try it...I'd also suggest the SS series in the 30-06....here's my 7-08 595 Tikka...my four other Tikkas are also SS...223..308...30-06..6.5x55..sorry for the indoor pic..but there was 40" of snow on the ground at this time... [Linked Image]
Posted By: medicman Re: Tikka t3 lite in 30-06 - 04/04/08
Headed off this morning to do so
Randy
Good on ya! laugh grin
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Tikka t3 lite in 30-06 - 04/04/08
tikkanut.....I love that stock, and the Weaver GS is very nice too.
Posted By: Mr_TooDogs Re: Tikka t3 lite in 30-06 - 04/05/08
Anyone looking for T3 mags for the long cartridges here they are. Great price! Seller has some LH T3's too.

T3 Mags

I bought two. Never hurts to have spares. I've been harassing Beretta for a couple months now and still out of stock from them.

Posted By: tikkanut Re: Tikka t3 lite in 30-06 - 04/05/08
Thats a real good price for the mags..I'm waiting...I have some five rd T3 mags on BO.....
Posted By: Mr_TooDogs Re: Tikka t3 lite in 30-06 - 04/05/08
Welllll, couldn't help myself, when I called seller to pay by CC I ordered 2 more mags. So, $25x4=$100, + 3% CC fee, $103 + $8 s/h, = $111.00 fer four mags to feed my two T3 Lites. laugh

Beretta wanted about $70 fer each mag., and it seems to be an endless wait for them to get off the boat into Berettas warehouse. mad

edit/add: to date my 270Win best three shot group (100yd) is .25" w/140AB & IMR4350 or Fed Fusion 130gr, the 338WM .63" w/ 225AB & RL-19. I'm very pleased with these Tikkas. I've used the aluminum scope rings that came w/ the guns, no scope shift nor loosening. I do use 242 blue Loctite on all screws too and torque same to GNT.
Posted By: sactoller Re: Tikka t3 lite in 30-06 - 04/06/08
I have the T3 in blue/wood .338wm I am still in the break in period, but I am under an inch with 225grs. I had a t3 lite, in stainless and sold it to a buddy, it was right around .5-.75" with factory rounds.

Here is my current Tikka, sporting a Nikon Monarch and limbsaver,
[Linked Image]
Posted By: old_willys Re: Tikka t3 lite in 30-06 - 04/20/08
A T3 lite is Stainless is the way to go, I have a 7 RM in Stainless, blued 30-06 and 270.

The Stainless looks like the day I picked it up the blued 06 must of got damp on the trip home from Texas. I found external pitting on the barrel I am having it redone with a protective coating....
It's just character, old willys. . . . . like the lines we get on our face from being outdoors.
Posted By: pigster Re: Tikka t3 lite in 30-06 - 04/20/08
I have seen the same thing on a new blued Tikka in a gun shop.
The owner sad it was brand new, never fired. Low quality blueing must be one of the shortcomings of Tikka's.
Posted By: ULA24 Re: Tikka t3 lite in 30-06 - 04/20/08
I could never use them or any detach magazine, plastic parts rifle, but glad you guys like them, and they work for you.

Out of curiosity, do they have different action sizes? Heard they use a one size fits all approach, but don't know for sure.
Posted By: old_willys Re: Tikka t3 lite in 30-06 - 04/22/08
They do shoot well, actually very well. and the plastic clip is actually durable, I purchased a Rem 700 TI 7mm08 years back and it took 3 trips to the gunsmith to get the trigger sorted out, same with a new M70.

I finally tried a T3 lite 7mm REM mag and I was hooked. They are not a pretty gun but they shoot great right out of the box. I ended up buying a T3 30-06 as a backup gun for trips out of states. Then a T3 270 I leave in PA ready for deer/bear season..(beats flying with only 1 bag and a gun for a 3 week trip)
Posted By: GregoryR Re: Tikka t3 lite in 30-06 - 04/22/08
I have a stainless synthetic in 25-06. I have shot 4 different factory loadings into less than 1" groups at 100 yards. Have some reloads doing less than .5". However, it does not like Federal Fusions. I found that weird because it shoots the accubonds great. Anyway, I think they are great guns that shoot and feed great. I have a 270wsm on the way.
© 24hourcampfire