Home
Posted By: SS_Freak Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/09/08
I live in a Metropolitan area here in NE Kansas. We have a number of big retailers that vie for customers in the gun market. As the subject states, I took a little trip to the Cabelas gun counter, this is probably the 100th+ trip I have taken to this store since it was put in a few years back.

I am never greeted in a timely manner at this Cabelas and the gun counter jockeys never have a clue what they are talking about. It seems the only time they ever had sufficient staffing was during the grand opening weekend. I knew exactly what to expect when I went there, and I, like a dummy, keep going back because of the great deals they have on guns and the like.

Getting to the point....today at Cabelas I was greeted by a chubby fellow with a generally annoyed, uncooperative and unfriendly disposition. I was amazed when he told me they had 6 of the guns they have marked for sale in stock. Well, I asked him to bring one up from the back for me as I was interested in purchasing a gun today. He did so in an unexpected, timely manner.

These were new in the box guns that Cabelas throws in a package, so they have obviously passed by the keen eyes of these impolite gun counter gurus. I looked the gun over and was unhappy that this stainless steel rifle looked like it had been sitting on a shelf since the 19th century. It literally looked like it had been hunted by Big Stick himself for about three years in the Alaskan Bush. So I politely asked him to grab another of the six for me, and warned him nicely that I was pretty picky and particular about what I spent my money on.

Six guns down and not a single keeper. The deal was pretty smokin', so I asked him if he minded if I try to clean the gun up a bit with solvent or Rem Oil to see if any of the corrosion would come off. He annoyingly said, "No, but I'll try." He came back and the gun looked about 70% better, so I knew that I would probably get most of it off. I was there with my brother, who is also in the market for a gun and was explaining some things about the rifle, and had almost convinced myself, against my own good judgment to buy the "beat up" Brand Spankin' New gun. I told the employee that I was probably going to buy the least ugly gun of the bunch. He just so happened to have cleaned the ugliest and replied as serious as death "OK, but I'm not cleaning your gun for you." This is supposed to be a new gun so I figured the least an employee of the store could do was offer to touch it up a bit, or throw in a complimentary cleaning rag. At this point I was asked rudely if I was going to buy the gun and if so I needed to start the paperwork now. After a short exchange of words, I walked off to do some more shopping.

I spent a total of 19 dollars at a store that with the right finesse' could have swallowed about 1000 of my hard earned bucks. I think I am going to spend the extra coin at another gun shop where their employees have a clue and they value the dollar of the shopper that spends it there.

I am an avid waterfowler, fisherman, deer hunter and outdoorsman. I spend a good amount of my disposable income on my addiction. One place that has not let me down for waterfowling gear is Rogers Sporting Goods in Liberty, Mo. Also, Bass Pro here in Olathe has been pretty good to me, but Cabelas is on their way out when it comes to my money. Good for some, bad for others.

Just thought I would share an experience and rant a bit.

SS
Posted By: Bob33 Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/09/08
Yes indeed. Check out the post I put on the Cabelas forum; it caused quite a stir. I got a call from someone in Sidney, NE.

http://forums.cabelas.com/showthread.php?t=7232
Posted By: dakota blues Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/09/08
Agreed; absolutely a pain here in Michigan as well. Make it a point to get to the store when it opens, Sat. morning and headed straight to the gun counter to pull my ticket! Guy behind the counter basically tells me to beat it while he keeps putting out all the handguns from the safe. I told him it would make much sense for them to go ahead and do that before the GD doors open. Really turned me off.

DB
Posted By: SS_Freak Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/09/08
This trip seemed to utterly disgust me in every way possible. The fact that they even attempted to sell me one of these guns like there was nothing wrong with it. The service I got was not a help either. It offended pretty much every part of me that wishes to spend money.

SS

A side note is, a young guy in the waterfowling "section", I say this loosely because it is decoy line and a few calls this time of year, was very knowledgeable and helpful when it came to hunting and calls.

Still doesn't seem to be enough to stamp out this experience that will be in my mind for a while to come.
Posted By: 300MAG Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/09/08
Gander Moutain in my area is just as bad or worse!! Their technical guys are about as technical as the kid slinging burgers at Burger King!!
Posted By: devnull Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/09/08
Just a note, feel free to complain to the home office about how much you've spent and won't be going back. I did this with Bass Pro and in the end, they kept a customer by making it right.
I just wish they would take the time to be picky about, care for and maintain the guns that some of us spend a lot of money on. It seems like a kick to the groin to think I would be expected to pay money for these items with this type of service.

SS
Posted By: TwentyTwo Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/09/08
SS_Freak:

Try Great Guns in Kearney, Mo. It's located in the strip center on the NE corner of the Mo 92 Hwy - Mo 33 Hwy intersection. Everyone behind the counter is a friendly, knowledgable shooter. Each has his or her own special expertise; none is a "know-it-all." Kathy Peisert, the owner, stands behind her merchandise.
Posted By: sweetsues Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/09/08
Had similar problems at Gander Mountain in Huntsville Tx. Young employees that don't know much about guns. I really don't expect the youngsters to be up on lots of the stuff. But when asked politely where items were they just pointed and said over that direction. Their prices were too high. Didn't have the powder I wanted. The lady at the register was more help at finding what I needed. My only trip there will be my last. I needed to go to Carters Country in Pasadena anyway.
Posted By: djpaintless Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/09/08
Most gun stores can be a mixed bag. Last week I was at the Cabela's in Ft. Worth Texas. It was late in the evening and I was about the only customer in the area. I was trying to look at a couple guns behind the counter but 3 or 4 of their salesman were a lot more interested in standing around and BS'ing than helping me. I finally waved one over and got pretty curt reply's and little help on the items I asked about.
Then I went into the fine gun room. They had a rifle that I was interested in and asked a couple questions about. The guy in there was excellent. He went in back and checked stock on all the extra barrels that were available for the rifle, checked with another employee to see if he had any more info on the particular rifle I was asking about.
In short the same store had lousy and excellent service within 25ft of each other.
Past a few constructive criticism's given to management I guess the best thing to do is to better appreciate the good salespeople and ignore the bad ones as much as possible..........................................DJ
Posted By: Supper Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/09/08
Had the same problem yesterday at Sportsmans Warehouse. Jackass behind the counter tried to tell me I had to do a bunch of crap for the paperwork that I knew was bullshit and then got ignorant with me when I asked to speak to the manager of the gun department.

I just turned around and walked out the door without another word, drove across town and bought a gun at the local store without having to do any of the crap the previously mentioned salesman tried to tell me was required.

It seems all the chain stores that deal in sporting goods are quickly losing what little customer service they started with.
Posted By: Swift Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/09/08
Firearms are best purchased at yer local Mom & Pop if at all possible.
Posted By: bigrocks Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/09/08
i work in a retail sporting goods shop and am always disapionted in my lowsy attitude, poor service, and lack of knowlege. just today i sold myself a $300 scale/dispenser. i already have 1 didgital scale so i knew i didn't need another one, but i was just soooo pushy, just here ya go ya can't load w/o this contraption now jet out. what a jack ass! i think i'm gona return it tomoro, tell the manager to friggin fire me. i cant be sellin me $300 items i don't need, i got a family to support. besides that its got like 20 buttons on it so it's gonna to be to difficult for me to opperate.
sorry just makin jokes. best bet is go POLITELY (worst way to get what you want is to piss off the 1 parson who can help) tell the problem to the manager, if he don't listen go back and find another one who will. you cant fix a problem that you don't know exists. the customer though not always right is what keeps the place in business. some times it's hard to get good help. go put in an aplication the discounts can be great. makes a fun p.t. job.
Posted By: David_Walter Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/09/08
For what its worth, I was in the lacey store this weekend. One guy in the camping section was great, one was lost and another was smart enough to get the great guy.

I wonder what the guys on the Cabelas forum would have said if we dropped a live round on their house and told them "it's hard to hire good soldiers" or "the cannon is hard to adjust" or "the map coordinates are hard to understand."

All of the replies to Bob's post on the Cabels forum were stupid except the last one that said the issues were being worked at the corporate HQ.

mercy...
Posted By: crittergetter Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/09/08
I will never go into another Bass Pro or Cabelas store again to buy anything,both of them not once but twice,people at both were slow,dumb or had no knowledge of items in the section they worked in.Both didn't have sale items in stock and wouldn't give a rain check.Not enough people in rifle and gun section.I've seen several rifles that came from both at my gunsmith shop,where they didn't mount scopes correctly,had the wrong rings and to long of screws in them.I just don't like either of them,they both SUCKED.
Posted By: sourdough44 Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/09/08
I agree with alot but I don't go to the counter to learn about guns or see who knows more. The point is to get the gun you are thinking about at a price you can live with. Some of their specials can be pretty good(S&W 638 at $359). Yes I know we have all read about 'loss leaders' & the 'bait & switch') There are plenty of things in a givin day that have the potential to annoy(sp?) a guy if you let it.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/09/08
I've never seen the sense in initiating a battle of wits with someone @ $6-$7/hr. That said, Cabela's in East Grand Forks, MN has two of the most knowledgeable gun guys in their company. Both in their 50's and pretty serious collectors that work there part-time. Positively the luck of the draw as they couldn't afford to "buy" that kind of experience and knowledge.
Posted By: Woodhits Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/09/08
I worked at the gun counter at a Bass Pro store one summer during law school and I was one of two guys there that had any technical firearms knowledge whatsoever. The reality is that those jobs don't pay very well so they have trouble keeping knowledgeable employees around. Once in a while you'll find a retired guy in there who knows his stuff and can afford to work for $8 an hour but it's rare. Be your own "expert".

I also liked a comment another one of the guys at the counter made when trying to sell a scope to a customer. He said that if the guy bought a scope from them he would need to have it bore sighted by them in the store or the gun wouldn't shoot right.

Never had a gun bore sighted at the store and all mine shoot nicely.

SS
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/09/08
Originally Posted by horse1
...I've never seen the sense in initiating a battle of wits with someone @ $6-$7/hr....

Originally Posted by Woodhits
... The reality is that those jobs don't pay very well so they have trouble keeping knowledgeable employees around. Once in a while you'll find a retired guy in there who knows his stuff and can afford to work for $8 an hour but it's rare. Be your own "expert".

So if we look at this from a $ perspective.....
Are we (you, me, who) willing to foot the bill for the extra cost of hiring firearms experts by paying more for the rifles we buy?

....but if we are looking at this from an attitude perspective.....
I understand that the original post was about attitude, and I agree that anyone working there should go all out to help the customer with a good attitude. I'd rather deal with someone that had little knowledge but a great attitude than the most knowledgeable expert with a sour attitude.

At some point, I guess the store is stuck with taking who they can get, regardless of knowledge or attitude. I sure do enjoy it when I purchase a rifle from a knowledgable person that loves and knows guns.....but it can't always be that way.

JCM
Met a couple guys as Bass Pro who are very knowldgeable and seem to be nice as hell. They are still in their infancy here in the KC area, so it might be just be a matter of time until they lose their good emplyees. Their prices are just a bit higher than Cabelas, but I guess I have proven to myself that it might just be worth it. (They might even price match too)
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/09/08
Boy, did this story bring back memories! I sit down from time to time to read my husband's (Dr. Encore) campfire stuff, but never before have I been compelled to reply. I was in retail management for 20 odd years, working for some of the major players (Bloomingdales and Neiman Marcus to name a few). These were companies that made customer service a FOCUS during their training of new employees. But- sure enough, after a few weeks on the selling floor, that ol' "Customers are an INTERRUPTION of my work , not the PURPOSE of it",- attitude would rear it's ugly head. Shame on the manager of that Cabelas firearms department for not having his stock well maintained and ready to sell,and shame as well on the selling associate for putting "conditions" on his willingness to sell product.

The best way to address this problem is for the customer to make a VERY LOUD FUSS right at the point of infraction and demand to speak to a member of upper level management. Once the manager appears, quote the seller, EXACTLY, and you will see a major change of attitude. And by the way, there is ALWAYS a member of management on duty, trust me... Rude selling associates are banking that you won't complain..... Also effective, write the manufacturer of the product you were interested in and explain your frustrations. The last thing a store manager wants to get is a call from the president of a major gun company with a gripe about service or product maintenance. It is down right humiliating! The relationship between vendors and stores is VERY important these days...... As a last resort, walk away from the store. It seems that this is a great way to have the last say, but in reality, you do more good for the overall retail enviornment by MAKING the retail establishment get it right. There will always be a fellow sportsman (or sportswoman!) walking up to that counter after you, and unless you help retailers weed out the worthless sellers, they will take over the planet!!

Doegirl
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/09/08
Doegirl,
FWIW My sister in law worked at Nordstrom and I wish Cabela's would take a page out of their book. Excellent customer service and return policy. As a manager, if one of her floor salesgirls ever got out of line or "lippy" with a customer, she would move in and take care of the client herself. THEN she would write the salesgirl up and would follow that up with a meeting with the floor manager. Some salesgirls made the cut, others didn't.....
Posted By: Supper Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/09/08
Originally Posted by Swift
Firearms are best purchased at yer local Mom & Pop if at all possible.
I try to buy from the local place, but when they are priced anywhere from 10 - 20% higher it makes it tough. Especially when this wasn't a "local" place for me being that I was ~ 200 miles from home.
Posted By: temmi Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/09/08
You know it�s my dream to work at a gun store like Gander Mountain or Carter�s Country (a local one here) when I retire. Carter�s Country has very knowledgeable and helpful people� but a cat could do a better job than most of the guys at Gander� I know I have a lot to learn about guns� but at least I want to learn it. It�s a shame they hire and keep such poor employes.
Posted By: PJGunner Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/09/08
I've only been to one Cabela's store. First and last time. I collect Ruger #1s and I have a pretty good idea of the value of the various styles. They had a use (and abused I might add) #1S in .300 Win. Mag. with a sticker price of $1,200 plus tax. shocked
Most of the bluing was gone and the stock looked like it had been dragged over half of Planet earth. The salesperson told that this was one of the very rare models of the Ruger. I'd looked it over very carefully and it was not a Pre-prefix model nor was it a 200th years of American Liberty model, the latter not really adding all that much to the price. I have four Ruger #1 rifles in .300 Win. Mag., one a "B" model and the other three "S" models, two of which are 200th year models The "B" cost me all of #265 and the three "S" models were all under $600 and they are all in at least 98 percent or better. The only reason I even had any interest in the gun was that it was all beat up. I could make sure it shot decently and then use it for my hunting trips rather that taking my nice ones out and maybe scarring the heck out of one of them. I probably would have gone maybe $500 out of the kindness of my heart but I truly believe tha $350 for the barreled action would have been more than generous.
Now I know someone will surely say I'm full of it, but you would have had to see the condition of the gun. There were rust holes all over the barrel where apparently someone held the gun with bloody hands. A real mess, perfect to sit behind the seat of my truck and me not worrying about anymore beauty marks. I couldn't even get a manager to bring the price down.
I won't ever be going back. It's not worth me driving 155 plus miles one way for that kind of gun prices.
Paul B.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/09/08
gun counter jockeys never have a clue what they are talking about.

That pretty much sums up 98% of the posters here..........
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/09/08
The best "customer Service" employee training manual is used as Kimber7man said by Nortrom's and the second best is the Marriott training program used by the hotel chain.

John Hopkins hospital in Baltimore adopted and uses the Marriott training program for all of its hospital staff and you cannot walk 20 feet in that hospital with-out someone asking if they can help you.

Service is amatter of training and attitiude.

Doc
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/09/08
and tips.
Posted By: djpaintless Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/09/08
Originally Posted by Steelhead
gun counter jockeys never have a clue what they are talking about.

That pretty much sums up 98% of the posters here..........

So Steelhead do you think your 2c certainly makes the 2%?.......................DJ
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/10/08
Nope, but yours makes it 98.05%
Posted By: Wolfchief Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/10/08
What is this "be your own expert" nonsense?? I am a Bank CEO and if I EVER hear one of my employees say anything like that to a client, he or she will be told to hit the bricks on the spot! It is not EVER a customer's responsibility to know everything there is to know about a product/service someone else offers for sale; theoretically anyway, it is the STORE/RETAILER's responsibility to know what in the world they are talking about, and to consultatively determine the client's needs and SELL TO THOSE NEEDS, not just push a product they have for sale at the time. !
There is a Cabela's just down the road from me; their lack of knowledge and courtesy is disgusting and degrading to their firm. I've been in Cabela's stores in Dundee, MI; Owatonna, Minn; Prairie du Chien, Wi; Mitchell SD; Hammond, IN and Hoffman Estates , ILL and their knowledge and level of service is not appreciably better in any one of those stores. In fact, the gun "Libarians" in their Hamburg, PA. location were so arrogant and inflexible that I'll never again set foot in that store; don't ask me for a reference on Cabela's because I flat cannot give them a good one. Their prices are ludicrously high, they exhibit a disgusting arrogance, and I crap more gun knowledge out my rear every day than most of their salespeople will ever have! I'm done with my rant; sorry but this thread just struck a nerve with me.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/10/08
Can't fathom anyone knowing my needs cept me.
Posted By: sweetsues Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/10/08
Steelhead!!! Hope that you are never in a bad accident and cannot reply as to what hurts or what care you need and no E.M.T. is available.
I know that you will have a smart aleck reply as you often do, so lets hear it. No one cares anyway.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/10/08
Originally Posted by Bob33
Yes indeed. Check out the post I put on the Cabelas forum; it caused quite a stir. I got a call from someone in Sidney, NE.

http://forums.cabelas.com/showthread.php?t=7232

Bob,

I have been in that same store when I have been up in the Puget Sound Area...as you said in your post on the other site, this sales clerk didn't know a darn thing of what he was talking about.. after about 5 visits to that store... they Have ALOT of sales people in their gun department that don't know what they are talking about...they must be on commission as they want to wait on folks who seem to have lots of money and want a big expensive gun, in some caliber that costs $10.00 each time you pull the trigger, along with a $1500.00 scope on top...

If I lived in Metro Olympia and Tacoma there, I'd do my firearm shopping at the Sportsman's Warehouse on the other side of the Freeway by Costco...

I have been to all the Cabelas stores in Nebraska and Minnesota, and the big one in Utah.. and they are a lot better than that Lacey Washington Store....
Posted By: deflave Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/10/08
I have visited 3 Cabelas stores and I have never had a bad experience.

Every employee has done what I expected of them: "Bring me what I'm asking for"!!!!

I have had to wait for some time at a gun counter (take a number and wait) but that was because the store had lots of customers. That made me happy because that meant lots of Americans were buying guns.

The original poster stated that Cabelas had six guns he was interested in and none of them passed his approval. Well, if I ran a "ma and pap" store, I'd tell you to get [bleep]. Do you mean to tell me ALL the guns they had were in terrible condition? Forgive my being blunt, but I smell bullschit.

I read a comment on here stating that (I'm paraphrasing) that gun counter clerks should be knowledgeable when it comes to firearms. Give me a [bleep] break. Most of us have been doin' this hobby our whole lives and still can't tell somebody what cartridge is best for them. Hell, Jeff O' has chewed up 10 pages just trying to decide which [bleep] Sendero he should buy.

As far as I'm concerned, when you walk into a buyer's/seller's atmosphere, you should be there to buy, or shut the [bleep] up.

Travis
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/10/08
Your post is just another about service that in your opinion was not adequate. From what I read the clerk opened six boxes for you.

You get what you see's. Thats what they had! Perhaps it was the attitude of the clerk from the start? That might set one off.

Now we have a Cabela's close to me here in CT. I doubt that I am going to buy a gun there. I did try to sell a MS 1952 30-06 rifle there and got offered $500. Maybe that is the market. At least I got an offer.

So far I have bought two coats there. I got bargains and I like them a lot. Cabela's makes the outdoor sports and in particular hunting look good.

Below is a parka that I got at Cabela's in the late winter. Its a $300 list price NorthFace that is really nice. The sale price was $150 and I had a good choice of sizes.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: SS_Freak Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/10/08
Originally Posted by deflave

The original poster stated that Cabelas had six guns he was interested in and none of them passed his approval. Well, if I ran a "ma and pap" store, I'd tell you to get [bleep]. Do you mean to tell me ALL the guns they had were in terrible condition? Forgive my being blunt, but I smell bullschit.

Travis

If I wanted to buy a gun in used and [bleep] condition, I would have shown up to your ma and pap store in person. I dont expect to pay my hard earned dollars for a gun that is not in "New" condition. I dont care if it is on sale, I dont care if the gun guy is not as intelligent as me. I am very particular when buying guns, and this guy showed me six, i repeat six rifles that could not have passed for new if I was blind. Three of the six rifles actually had surface rust aound the top side of the recoil lug (note: these are SS rifles), all of the barrels were covered in corrosion, dings in the sythetic stocks, chips in the stock finish. These were not just your average, dust covered rifles where the packing grease got a little nasty on ya. Travis, I dont know how much money you make, but if you make enough to not care what condition guns are in that you buy, then good for you. I just so happen to not be in that boat.

This place tried to sell me a [bleep] piece of hunting gear with a [bleep] attitude the entire time. And expected me to love every second of it. It was as if the salesman was upset at me for these guns being in such disrepair. He was annoyed every time he opened a box and new before I opened my mouth that it was a piece of [bleep].

Lets just start a poll here. Would anyone here buy a gun at that looked like [bleep], and was supposed to be new for a "new gun" price?

I highly doubt it.

SS
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Your post is just another about service that in your opinion was not adequate. From what I read the clerk opened six boxes for you.

You get what you see's. Thats what they had! Perhaps it was the attitude of the clerk from the start? That might set one off.

Yes, the attitude bothered me from the beginning, and the service was well below par. And no I absolutely did not get what I saw, because if I took on that way of thinking, would have actually bought the thing. I am upset at myself now for even considering to buy one without demanding to ask the manager Why, oh Why would you try to pass these guns off as new. Someone should have got off their ass and attempted to bring these guns back to "new" sale quality, if it was possible.

I dont think some people get it. If you worked for a gun store, would you accept a gun sent to you by remington that was of [bleep] quality and expect the hard working american to buy it because thats all you have, or would you send it back and ask for another one. Your reputation as a gun salesman or gun dealer is on the line every time someone opens a box that should have passed your inspection.

This was not a clearance rifle on the shelf in the open where everyone can handfuck the rifles without a salesman present. These were new in box rifles that they brought from the back and not a returned parka that someone didnt like.
The reason Cabela's gun prices are so high is because fools unfamiliar with the market for the guns they are seeking, "know what they need" and have to have it NOW. I could have fallen for it too: about a month ago, I stopped in to the Hammond store to look at a Colt Officers' Model Match .38 spl revolver. It is in approx. 90-95% condition. They were (and incidentally, still are)asking $999 on this gun, when several firearms value books I checked put the value closer to $600---and that's for a NIB specimen--which this one definitely wasn't.. For you mathematicians out there, that's a whopping 166% higher than the market! I hope it sits there forever.
I passed on it, and two weeks ago I attended a gun show in St. Charles, Ill. and bought a 1968 OMM 99% and with box, for $620.
Another example: I passed up a "great opportunity" to buy a Winchester High Grade 9422 at a Cabela's in Dundee for $1,300 just a few weeks ago---and found a NIB High Grade for $700 at a local show. Cabela's gives a whole new meaning to price gouging.....I like their clothing, boots, catalog service etc. but their gun dealers are PIRATES.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/10/08

Their prices aren't always high, I bought a Tikka T3 lite in 243 for $450 at Cabelas a couple of years back. Most other places had them for $529.

Spot
I agree spot, I usually go there becasue of the low prices on new guns. There Tikka's were 599, but they looked beautiful.

SS
Wolfchief,

The Cabela's I have been in have always had very fair prices on all their used stuff. Not a great deal, and not a rip-off, just fair. Sorry to hear the Dundee store is putting the screws to everybody. St. Charles? The Kane County gun show? Been there many times, always loved that show.

SS Freak,

In hindsight, if you insist the guns were that bad, I really have no reason to not believe you other than it sounds VERY strange.

Where are they storing these things, the Alaskan coast? If you opened six "brand new" rifles and they all looked as bad as you describe, why would you not speak to the store manager? Rust? Dude, if ANY gun store brought me six rifles with rust on em', I would have to point that out to the owner/store manager at a minimum.

Travis
Unless they are sprinkling paprika on their rifles for fun before they sell them, then that would be my best guess. It came off with some Breakfree and Rem-oil. Still, that and the experience as a whole is enough to push me away from Cabelas.

SS
Originally Posted by deflave

Where are they storing these things, the Alaskan coast?

Travis

My first question as well!
Posted By: mathman Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/10/08
For you mathematicians out there, that's a whopping 166% higher than the market!

Nope. For this mathematician it's 66% higher than market, or 166% of market price. laugh

mathman
I got one for you mathman, what is 47 / 47. Let me know when you finish the calculations. wink
I'm not familiar with the use of the percent symbol as an operator.
What percent symbol? If you havent noticed, most all of my posts are edited. I am not much of an editor.
SS freak, I think you may be a little more picky than the average gun buyer, but again, I have no reason to doubt what you say is true.

This is courtesy of northern dave and I believe it sums up my feeling on buying/selling.

Cinder Blocks

I don't think this guy would let you clean the rifles while you think about buying. laugh

Travis

Now that is some funny stuff right there.
Good work mathman :), I feel like a piece of [bleep] sitting here responding to my own thread this much. I'm off to do some work (I think I have more important things to do today.) I'll be back to check in on the [bleep] I created later.

SS
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/10/08
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Doegirl,
FWIW My sister in law worked at Nordstrom and I wish Cabela's would take a page out of their book. Excellent customer service and return policy. As a manager, if one of her floor salesgirls ever got out of line or "lippy" with a customer, she would move in and take care of the client herself. THEN she would write the salesgirl up and would follow that up with a meeting with the floor manager. Some salesgirls made the cut, others didn't.....

Kimber7man

That's what it takes! Just a note.......most of my most tempermental, sour sellers were male......as was the gun counter fella... Rudeness is co-ed! wink

Doegirl
Posted By: 30Gibbs Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/10/08
and tips.

YUP....

Great service usually yields great tips!
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/10/08

Asking "Sales" questions to explore those needs is sales 201.
Most don't have it and will never get it.

Doc
Posted By: 30Gibbs Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/10/08
and tips.

YUP....

Great service usually yields great tips!
Originally Posted by SS_Freak
What percent symbol? If you havent noticed, most all of my posts are edited. I am not much of an editor.

HA HA HA HA!

Gota refill the coffee that I just spilled!
Mathman: That's what I said...166% of the market(asking) price. It's one thing to buy a standard gun at Cabela's that every other gun store has one of...they may BE competitive on those; most of what I'm looking for are older collectible Colts, Brownings and Winchesters. For those of you in the market for one of them, just look at Cabela's website, examine the photos..(ie, is your 99% condition the same as theirs?)and then check their asking prices which are just flat too damn high !!I know; I've looked and compared. End of story as far as I'n concerned.
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/11/08
While Cabela's Gun Library is great to look at the prices there are very high as compared to other sources.

The Cablela's in Hartford, CT just opened recently and I have been there quite a bit for the fun. For some reason they got in about 7 M61 Winchesters. This is the smooth looking tube fed .22 pump. I happen to have one as my #1 hunting 22.

They priced them from $1,900.00 down to $895.00 in the 'Library'. I went back a number of times and indeed the tags stayed. I also commented to a clerk there and he said that "they came in that way".

A week or so later I was up there again and I found a M61 on the floors gun rack. It was not 'fine' as it had been scratched up some but it was intact. The price on it was about $595. Still way high for that gun but......

I carried that gun into the 'Library' and asked the clerk there "What will you pay me for this gun?" He could see it had a Cabela's tag on it but he could not read the tag. He answered "Half of what it says on the tag"!
Posted By: dmazur Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/11/08
I visited the same store in Lacey and had a salesman tell me he never heard of the .17HM2. I said it was derived from the .22LR, like the .17HMR was derived from the .22Magnum.

Absolute blank stare. Then he said, "Well they're both .17 caliber."

I know there are hundreds of details in pistols and rifles, but most of these guys behind the counter aren't even trying. They weren't hired for gun knowledge, apparently.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/11/08
Originally Posted by Doctor_Encore

Asking "Sales" questions to explore those needs is sales 201.
Most don't have it and will never get it.

Doc

I have do doubt that is the way to the sheep, hence my 98% reference.
Posted By: tbear99 Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/11/08
i find the greenhorn behind counter thay admits he don't know better then the guy that claims to be an expert and don't know squat
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/12/08
ss freak - i am a big believer in going right to the top with a problem. your less-than-satisfactory recent visit to cabelas is a classic example. were it me, i'd write a detailed "hand-written" letter (no email as they are usually intercepted by underlings) to the ceo of cabelas, detailing my many visits with specific emphasis on your last visit. remind the ceo that you were prepared to spend 1k at their store, but walked out. i can almost assure you of a timely response from the ceo.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/12/08
Letters are great, but folks should put in equal emphasis when they have a POSITIVE experience also.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/12/08
That's very Christian of you.

Roy
prayers sent!
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/12/08
Originally Posted by RDFinn
That's very Christian of you.

Roy

I don't recall stabbing someone in the back.........
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/12/08
That's funny. All the flamers must have gone to bed early.
Posted By: Hunterbug Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/12/08
I don't need or want them to tell me what I want or answer any questions. I tell them what I want. I figure that it's their job to hand me the gun I ask for and stand back while I make my decision.
Posted By: rifle Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/14/08
I agree with asking to look at my firearm of choice.Most of the time,once in hand the gun will answer the questions I have.
My question is why would you not speak to a manager about a stainless gun having 'rust' on it? Did Cabela's built those guns or Remington,ect? I agree the attitude sucked and should have been pointed out? I bought many guns from Cabelas,mostly Dundee,and always got a square deal.I don't worm them to death on price and I have been called by the manager when something comes in he knows I have an interest in(pre-64 Win).I've had one problem with a rifle,years ago,they took it back,got it fixed and called me to come back and look it over.I bought it back!
Posted By: 3589 Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/15/08
Originally Posted by rifle
I agree with asking to look at my firearm of choice.Most of the time,once in hand the gun will answer the questions I have.
My question is why would you not speak to a manager about a stainless gun having 'rust' on it? Did Cabela's built those guns or Remington,ect? I agree the attitude sucked and should have been pointed out? I bought many guns from Cabelas,mostly Dundee,and always got a square deal.I don't worm them to death on price and I have been called by the manager when something comes in he knows I have an interest in(pre-64 Win).I've had one problem with a rifle,years ago,they took it back,got it fixed and called me to come back and look it over.I bought it back!
Amen to that , the Dundee store is the best commercial source for interesting guns I`ve ever found and now you can buy guns from all their stores for a 25.00 shipping charge. Also the guys in the gun library are all friendly and well informed.
No complaints here,
Bob
Posted By: battue Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/15/08
Cabela's hires and fires who knows hom many salespeople. I don't understand how someone can condemn the entire company because of one salesman. Voice your concern to management if you feel it is that bad.

You don't like what they have to offer for some reason, don't buy that particular item. However, I don't expect to have my azz kissed just because I want to spend some money. I've been around a few people with some major bucks, the good guys don't let that kind of small stuff bother them to much. Maybe a look in the mirror could solve the problem.

Battue
amen!!
Posted By: evans1010 Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/16/08
I work at a ma and pop store just down the road from the Bass Pro in Olathe, and I honestly think that some people leave them so disgusted with their lack of knowledge that we gain a customer for life. One the other hand I hate to think how many get misinformation. I am sure that they have their share of knowledgeable sales people, I just haven't seen many.

As for the attitude, I just don't get it, you are literally around guns and outdoors lovers all day, what is there not to love.

Nick
Posted By: mbrook Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/17/08
I have been told that Cabelas has transitioned from full time employees with full benefits to primarily part time, non benefit employees. This started when they became a public company on the NYSE rather than family owned.
Posted By: Wolfchief Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/22/08
Hey, YOU look in the mirror, buddy! My money is too hard earned to be given away lightly to thieves who oveprice their products by 25-40%...you don't think so?? then go to most any Cabela's, look at their prices on Colts, Winchesters and Brownings---the good stuff that the informed people are collecting---and then compare their asking prices to ANY of the well known published gun value guides---then honestly try to tell me they've priced them fairly! I don't think so---not even close.
Posted By: battue Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/22/08
Think your taking it out on the wrong guy.

Anyway knowing what you know, when did Cabela's ever make/force you to buy anything? Don't like it, price to high, not up to your standards, don't buy. Simple really. If its stuff that "informed people"-your words-want, don't think they will be able to get those prices.

But you missed the whole point of the look in the mirror reference anyway.

Battue
Posted By: Wolfchief Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/23/08
I guess I didn't see any point to that reference at all...the thread is about Cabela's Gun Counter; my point is, they claim to be experts, but my own repeated experience with that firm is the only thing for sure that they're experts at is overrepresenting and overpricing their products. Believe what your own experience tells you; that's what I'm going to do. I know if anyone asks me for a reference about their gun libraries' service/professionalism, I can't give them a good one. And I'm done with this...
Posted By: WTM45 Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 05/23/08
Originally Posted by Wolfchief
...the thread is about Cabela's Gun Counter; my point is, they claim to be experts, but my own repeated experience with that firm is the only thing for sure that they're experts at is overrepresenting and overpricing their products.

Hmmmmmmmmmm......too easy.......
Posted By: NathanL Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 06/05/08
I walked into Cabelas over the weekend and on the off chance they had a Ruger No.1 in 7x57 (looking to rechamber it and that would be the easiest).

I asked the guy specifically just like this "Have any Ruger No.1's in stock?"

His reply..."We don't stock that caliber".

Since when did "no.1" become a caliber?
Posted By: 99savage308 Re: Cabelas Gun Counter - 06/06/08

Cabelas Gun Counter

Mr.SS__Freak,

My two cents

Yes, I have two cents and yes i have been to a Cabelas,in West Virgina,next to Wheeling,WV and Michigan; took my son.Y'all can relate father son trip.I have gotten their catalogs in the past. The only difference between Calbelas and say a female clothing catalog is nothing. Calbaleas catalog is 3/4 clothes. Calabelas stores is all about clothes and stuffed animals. My son thought the displays of animals was great but it was all toooooooo much money and he is 12 yrs old. The guns were overpriced. The best grade guns room,if you will,was nice.But and yes there is a butt.If you looked like money you were in.Meaning,they talked to you.

To sum it all up: Calbelas is nothing but a Clothing Store.

In closing. Keep it simple ,keep it local gun shop and keep it in your home town. --SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL GUN SHOP --
© 24hourcampfire