Home
Posted By: PreciousLiberty Sako 75 Finnlight? - 08/22/08
Are there any "gotchas" with the Sako 75 Finnlights? I'm considering one...

TIA! :-)
Posted By: handwerk Re: Sako 75 Finnlight? - 08/22/08
They are great rifles, I have 4 sakos, one of which is a finnlight.The only thing I've done is drop it into a mcmillan stock and shoot stuff.
A great, smooth action, low bolt lift, great scope mounting system and they usually all shoot quite well.
You'd do well to own one.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Sako 75 Finnlight? - 08/22/08
I'll second handwerk. I've only had one Finnlight, but a couple of sako's. The Finnlight was a .308. I wish I had not sold it. My mistake. They are a fine rifle.

JCM
Posted By: mliang Re: Sako 75 Finnlight? - 08/22/08
If you want to get nitpicky than I would say short barrel, cheap stock, and heavy action for a lightweight rifle.

But if I could find a short action 75 finnlight at a good price I would really think about buying one. Sako makes great rifles.
Posted By: TWR Re: Sako 75 Finnlight? - 08/22/08
I had one in 243 but sold it. Bought another one in 300WSM which I still have.

The stock is cheap but it works, both guns I've had would/will shoot under MOA. I agree it's not the lightest action out there but it's not too bad.

I'd buy another one.
Posted By: Slim_Jenkins Re: Sako 75 Finnlight? - 08/22/08
"A great, smooth action, low bolt lift, great scope mounting system and they usually all shoot quite well.
You'd do well to own one"

I'll second that.

I recently picked up my second Sako from this board a little while back. This one is a 75 Finnlight in .260 rem. I would'nt hesitate to buy another. RP
Posted By: blargon Re: Sako 75 Finnlight? - 08/23/08
This .308 Finnlight has become my favorite rifle, shoots anything I feed it into MOA or better...

As it sits now with VX3 2.5-8, waiting for an EDGE to show up...

[Linked Image]
anyone know what they weigh in the wsm's?

Thx
Dober
Posted By: dshoe Re: Sako 75 Finnlight? - 08/23/08
Originally Posted by mliang
If you want to get nitpicky than I would say short barrel, cheap stock, and heavy action for a lightweight rifle.

But if I could find a short action 75 finnlight at a good price I would really think about buying one. Sako makes great rifles.

Is $795 considered a "good price" for a used one in 270 Win? If so, I know where one's at right now.
Posted By: mliang Re: Sako 75 Finnlight? - 08/23/08
It's a good price if stainless but I'm looking for a short action. Shortmag (SM action size only) or 308 size.
Posted By: dshoe Re: Sako 75 Finnlight? - 08/23/08
Yeah, I don't think I'd want one in 270 Win, either. I saw it the other day at a local shop though. I handled it; it looks very good as far as condition is concerned. I thought the price was very reasonable, too. I'd rather have short action, like you, in that particular gun. It is stainless.
Posted By: blargon Re: Sako 75 Finnlight? - 08/23/08
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Thx
Dober

Around 6.5lbs, I believe they have a 22.75" barrel, as opposed to my 20.25" barrel.

The kicker on mine is the optilocks that weigh 8oz.
Posted By: handwerk Re: Sako 75 Finnlight? - 08/23/08
The sako 75 wsm in the finnlight weigh 6 5/8 lbs, and have a 24 3/8" barrel. The optilocks weigh 6 oz.

Posted By: Pat85 Re: Sako 75 Finnlight? - 08/23/08
I have a finlite in 6.5x55 I bought new in 2001. its a great all around deer rifle. I wouldn't call it light. I would call it a tack driver with a 20" barrel.
Posted By: djpaintless Re: Sako 75 Finnlight? - 08/24/08
Originally Posted by dshoe

Is $795 considered a "good price" for a used one in 270 Win? If so, I know where one's at right now.

That's a run down tonight and buy it before someone else wises up. $800 is an excellent price for a 270 Winchester 75 Finnlite. I have one in 270 Win and it's one of my favorite hunting rifles. It's smooth as glass, feeds perfectly and shoots bugholes. Mine was quite a bit more than $795!.........................DJ
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Sako 75 Finnlight? - 08/24/08
There was a USED .300WSM 75 Finnlight on the shelf for $1050 in a shop here awhile back.

Like DJ said, $800 sounds like a deal.
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Sako 75 Finnlight? - 08/24/08
I've got one in .260 rem, and I think I'm in love.

Feels good, and shoots the lights out. I've got some big plans for the little thing.
Posted By: dshoe Re: Sako 75 Finnlight? - 08/24/08
Yeah, I remember looking at the used 270 a week or so ago. I stopped in there at lunch looking for specific Federal 308 rounds. I saw the Sako on the shelf and asked to fondle it. First thing I did when the lady behind the counter handed it to me was look at the tag, see $795 listed on it, and immediately thought something like, "Uh?!" I figured $795 was a pretty good price for it. Only problem is I already have one 270, and I don't really want another. If the Sako was in just about any other caliber than 270, then I'd probably consider it. Besides, like DJ said, it's probably already gone by now anyway.
Posted By: blargon Re: Sako 75 Finnlight? - 08/24/08
Originally Posted by handwerk
The sako 75 wsm in the finnlight weigh 6 5/8 lbs, and have a 24 3/8" barrel. The optilocks weigh 6 oz.

What size are the rings you have? I weighed my bases with the X-low rings and they were 8 oz total. I wonder where the variation would be...
Posted By: blargon Re: Sako 75 Finnlight? - 08/24/08
dbl tap
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Sako 75 Finnlight? - 08/24/08
What I like about mine is you have 5 rounds in the mag and 1 in the tube. Can you hold 6 with those fat wsms?
Posted By: PreciousLiberty Re: Sako 75 Finnlight? - 08/24/08
Thanks for all the feedback. I was looking at the one in the Free Classifieds, it's a .260 and quite a deal. I just can't see a barrel shorter than 22" on the .260 - it's not a blazing fast round to begin with.

Anyhow, the rifle in the classifieds comes with a 3.5-10x44 Conquest Z-Plex scope and is unfired, shipped for $1550. Someone should jump on it.
In my .260 finnlight, I'm getting 2725 fps with 130 gr. Accubombs, and about 100 feet faster with the 120 gr. TSX's - all into dime sized groups. Should be more than enough to kill anything I'm going to point it at out to 300 yards (Antelope, deer, cow elk).

[Linked Image]

As for the rig in the classifieds - nice rifle, nice scope, but seems a bit high to me.
Posted By: PreciousLiberty Re: Sako 75 Finnlight? - 08/24/08
My take on the deal was:

$1100 unfired rifle.
$750 scope + rings.

$1550 including shipping seems pretty darned reasonable. ;-)
$950 for rifle, $500 for scope and rings would wrap it up for me (if I had the scratch)...

Personally, I'm a cheap sob who will try to chisel the ice cream man down on a pack of bubblegum.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Sako 75 Finnlight? - 08/25/08
Start with a low offer, you can always go up.
Posted By: CREDITMAN Re: Sako 75 Finnlight? - 08/25/08

Thx
Dober

I have a 75 Finnlight in 270 WSM that weighs 6# 14.0 oz. on a postage scale. I have a 85 Finnlight in 300 WSM that weighs
6# 6.6 oz. on the same scale. Both have 24 3/8 in, barrels.
I used Conetrol Daptar SS Low 30mm scope mts. which weigh 4.6 oz.
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Sako 75 Finnlight? - 08/25/08
I've used the loopy mounts for sako with no problems on 2 rifles.

I haven't put them on a scale, but I know they're less than the opti-locks.
Posted By: duckster Re: Sako 75 Finnlight? - 08/25/08
I have had 3 Sakos, and all have been great shooters with almost any ammo, factory or handloads. All my rifles were/are M75, not the Finnlight but I would imagine things are just as good with the Finnlights
© 24hourcampfire