Home
Posted By: GeorgiaBoy New Model 70s on the shelf! - 09/26/08
Got to handle a 2008 Model 70 featherweight yesterday. Very Nice!

He had received (3) in 270 and (3) in 30-06.

The quality of the one I handled was excellent and the price.....$779.

GB
I picked up a featherweight 30-06 on Wed. It appears to be put together very well. Unfortunately, I will not be able to get to the range for at least a week, but I will post some range results when I get them
My dealer in Houston just called to say that the FWT I had on order has arrived.
Keep us informed I am thinking I am still going to wait for the all weather version? Let us know what you thing of the new trigger and what are actuall weights of the Feather weights?

I always wanted one of the Featherweights in 6.5x55 Swede...
Saw one today,a FW in 270.Quality was very nice for a rifle in this price range.My general impression is that the metal work was nicer,a bit "tighter", than the Classic. The trigger felt very good,crisp.The barrel was free floated and nicley centered in the stock. Finish was more a matte than the shinier finish of a classic,and free of any ripples I could detect.Safety was very positive,and again, "tighter" somehow than the Classics I've handled.Machining on the bolt was nice as well, with the bolt face nice and smooth.Lug contact looked good.The threads for the firing pin assebly are smaller,and tighter than the classic. Bolt release is checkered(!)Nice!

The bottom metal(Williams?) was very nice and a one-piece unit,and had gold embossed "Special Edition" on it..Barrel looked like a 4 land arrangement.Overall a nice rifle for the dough.

Should do well! I don't think anyone will be unhappy with one,assuming good accuracy and function.

Posted By: TomM Re: New Model 70s on the shelf! - 09/26/08
So is the one-piece williams bottom standard? Was the grip cap metal or plastic?
The only ones I've seen posted on the net are .270 and .30-06 do we know what calibers they're going to run with this year?
Posted By: RAS Re: New Model 70s on the shelf! - 09/26/08
Since they are hitting the shelves now, we will all soon read the results.....

Kinda looking forward to it.

Wish they were making a Fwt in 250. (never happen)
Wish they had kept the old trigger.
I guess the bottom metal is standard.Don't remember the grip cap.
Posted By: Brad Re: New Model 70s on the shelf! - 09/26/08
Do they still have the French Whorehouse stock with Schnabel?
I believe they do, I think I saw one in Ennis the other day.

Bet they'll have the same crappy chambers as well, same bird just out of a different nest...<g>

Dober
Who cares it is still a winchester grin
Posted By: Brad Re: New Model 70s on the shelf! - 09/27/08
Originally Posted by ehunter
Who cares it is still a winchester grin

Winchesters are made in Connecticut and have the original M70 trigger (grin).
Posted By: Shag Re: New Model 70s on the shelf! - 09/27/08
Lookin forward to seeing one in my neck of the woods. hope it's soon.

Hmm? 7-08 or -06
I thought they would be priced a bit higher. I would like to see one in person as I have only seen one review in a magazine recently.
Originally Posted by Shag
Lookin forward to seeing one in my neck of the woods. hope it's soon.

Hmm? 7-08 or -06

There was an '06 at Brightwater Ventures two days ago.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: New Model 70s on the shelf! - 09/27/08
Originally Posted by RAS

You and me both.
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by RAS

You and me both.

Buy a Kimber 84 in 257 Roberts!Same thing and the Kimber will be lighter.Except for the trigger,the Kimber is a lot like a M70,especially as made today.
Posted By: DMB Re: New Model 70s on the shelf! - 09/27/08
Originally Posted by RAS

Amen Brother. I'd drive to South Carolina to get one of them..

Pix of the new Model 70.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by vigillinus
Wish they had kept the old trigger.

+ times 1,000...
Posted By: Cheesy Re: New Model 70s on the shelf! - 09/27/08
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by RAS

You and me both.

Buy a Kimber 84 in 257 Roberts!Same thing and the Kimber will be lighter.Except for the trigger,the Kimber is a lot like a M70,especially as made today.

Bought a Kimber .308 off the campfire a year ago with intentions of rebarreling to .250, but it shoots so well I hate to mess with it, have thought about one in .257 as well, only I already have a Ruger, but I guess that could be my backup Bob....so many guns, so little time.
No range reports for us yet on any of these?

Posted By: 257Bob Re: New Model 70s on the shelf! - 09/29/08
The "french whorehouse stock" is actually pretty nice in my opinion, I have literally owned dozens. they handle well and dont add a bunch of weight. make one in a 250? now likely but I just bough a fwt compact and sent it to douglas, along with $400, and it came back in a very nice 250. my kids are 10+ deer counting with that rifle, all one-shot kills, so we are quite fond of it...
Posted By: Brad Re: New Model 70s on the shelf! - 09/29/08
Originally Posted by 257Bob
The "french whorehouse stock" is actually pretty nice in my opinion, I have literally owned dozens.

That's the beauty of options! We're all different... to me it's one of the ugliest stocks ever to come down the pike.
Now I see why you sold that sweet feather weight smile

I too think its sexy but only in supergrade smile
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: New Model 70s on the shelf! - 09/29/08
Originally Posted by Brad
HA HA HA I thought I was the only one. The curly que checkering always seemed ....kinda......frenchy....whorehousey to me too but I do love the Schnabel......Schnobel?????
shocked

GASP!!
Still amazed at the sudden allegience. Most people scoffed at the M70's, especially the last few years. Now suddenly they are the second coming?

This reminds me of how Simmons was junk, then they released the "Master Series" and lots of people were excited. Then they realized that the new ones were still junk.

Why would anyone pay $200 more for a new M70, than a Ruger Hawkeye?

(flame suit ready)...
Originally Posted by kenaiking
Now I see why you sold that sweet feather weight smile

HA! When I buy a SS Fwt, the first thing to go onto ebay is the stock smile
Originally Posted by kenjs1
HA HA HA I thought I was the only one. The curly que checkering always seemed ....kinda......frenchy....whorehousey to me too but I do love the Schnabel......Schnobel?????

I like the Schnabel too, and definitely like the overall stock shape... it's just that disgusting checkering pattern that really hangs me up... laugh
shocked

I've got 3 of em...... frown

I like em.... but then again.... I aint got no problems with a french whore either.... grin
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

(flame suit ready)...

Different strokes... the Hawkeye, especially in stainless, is one heck of a hard-duty hunting rifle, with a bunch of great features at a great price. BUT, having owned a boatful of Rugers, they're sort of crude in the finish department IMO, and they're hard to trick out in a lightweight fiberglass handle (not many options).

The M70 stock and bottom metal can be sent down the ebay river and one can be in to an M70 SS Fwt for the price of a Ruger, and it can be put in a McMillan Edge.

Or a guy can just buy a Kimber Montana and have a rifle better than either...
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I like em.... but then again.... I aint got no problems with a french whore either.... grin

Well, have never patronized a whorehouse, but have seen a few French whores in the native country and it weren't pretty... grin
And I am not denying a M70, isn't a solid design. I just remember that last couple years, all people did is rip on them, and calling them junk. They went under, and all of the sudden, everyone was sad.

Seemed like any M70 built after 1964 wasn't respected, until now.

Won't argue about the lack of goodies for Rugers, and I hate their ring system.
Still amazed at the sudden allegiance. Most people scoffed at the M70's, especially the last few years. Now suddenly they are the second coming?

This reminds me of how Simmons was junk, then they released the "Master Series" and lots of people were excited. Then they realized that the new ones were still junk.

(flame suit ready)...

I have always like the model 70. I tend to buy them up when people just cant get them to shoot. Most will end up as customs anyway but I have yet to find one that a few tweaks will get to shoot. I just built my 25-06AI on a 1965 PF.

I'm glad to see them back with such popularity so they will flood the market and may make the prices come down a bit. That said I like rugers too and have couple of those as well. The 70 actions I have are always a bit tighter then the ruger. The rugers sure do what they were made for though and quite good.
oh, well.... I guess the imaginary ones in my head are ok.... but I'll have to take your word for it on the real ones. grin

Sell me a fwt stock so I can cut it for my boy. He just a li'l guy & the fwt i gave him is a little long, I set the scope back an inch with some offsets but the stock could stand to be cut.
Posted By: 340boy Re: New Model 70s on the shelf! - 09/29/08
Originally Posted by kenjs1

I like the Schnabel too, and definitely like the overall stock shape... it's just that disgusting checkering pattern that really hangs me up... laugh

That is one of the many things I like about the McMillan FWT stock-no checkering!!
grin

The bottom metal(Williams?) was very nice and a one-piece unit,and had gold embossed "Special Edition" on it.

We made the floorplate and extractor, but the trigger guard itself is aluminum and being produced by another vendor for FN.
Still amazed at the sudden allegience. Most people scoffed at the M70's, especially the last few years. Now suddenly they are the second coming?

(flame suit ready)...

I'd pay more for a new Model 70. And will. But that won't stop me from also getting a hawkeye in 243 for my gf (and me). smile

I was always under the impression that Model 70 fans were very loyal, even when they started putting out some crap.
Not from me.. Check my posts from a few days ago re: the 'new' model 70..

(flame suit ready)...
Not sure what the Hawkeyes are actually selling for, but I noticed a very few 'new' M70s on Gunbroker two days ago with asking prices starting around $769 and at that time, there were NO bidders.. Haven't checked today..

I had one in hand last week.. I wasn't impressed.. I'm buying the 'old' M70s whenever I can find the right model, caliber and condition.. Just received a NIB, early serial # Classic M70 FWT in .280 Rem; never even had the bolt in the receiver, with box and all papers etc... It's exquisite... I'll find a spot in the safe, trust me...

laugh laugh
Posted By: jimmyp Re: New Model 70s on the shelf! - 09/29/08
the rifles are not even on the shelves hardly but I will ask anyway....does anyone make a replacement trigger, then I wonder what a featherweight in .270 Win would weight? Then finally I wish the long action kimber 8400 had been a bit different...
And I am not denying a M70, isn't a solid design. I just remember that last couple years, all people did is rip on them, and calling them junk. They went under, and all of the sudden, everyone was sad.

Seemed like any M70 built after 1964 wasn't respected, until now.

Won't argue about the lack of goodies for Rugers, and I hate their ring system.

It's interesting how different we all are!

Personally, I thought the last couple years production from USRAC were their very best in every way (except wasn't too impressed with the steel/aluminum one piece bottom assembly).

As to Rugers, I love the integral rings, I just hate the safety.

Apart from the safety (which I find too small and hard to use) I'd probably own more than the one 77/22 I have.

Handled the new M70 .270 and .30-06 FW a couple days ago, seemed good enough quality but they sure sure had poor wood on them, wild grain and washed out looking.

I was primed to buy the .30-06 but passed on account of the poor stock, I don't want twisted grain, burls and knots in the forend of an already delicate forend.

I like nice straight, tight and even grain. The thin forends on both these rifles looked like they were cleared to launch into all kinds of wild shapes after a couple days in the snow and were the color of coffee with too much cream.

Den
I too saw some rough machine checkering on late model new haven M70's & it was tough for me to see it because I'm such a fan of the M70

The very latest new haven M70 i have is marked differently on the reciever & i'd really like it if someone could tell me when this marking began?

[Linked Image]

the fit & finish of this rifle is awesome, I really like it. but... something's wrong, can't get it to shoot like my other M70's.

thinking about having the crown recut.

this is not a new M70, this is a vary late model new haven M70. so posting this is a bit of a hijack-derailment. sorry bout that, I just thought maybe someone checking this could answer my questions as to when & why that started marking like this.

the "trademarks licensed from olin corp." isn't on any of my other m70's

I too was shocked to find a new model 70 featherweight in 270 win on the shelves, this afternoon. I handled it and looked it over up and down, it looks like its alot better put together than the old ones. the stock looks nice a little busy with the checkering, wood had some figure and the barrel was free floated and centered in the forearm. the crown also looked like it was cut nicely, the action was smooth and the safety was more crisp in its movement. I sure would like to see how they shoot.
Dave, I noticed that marking showing on M70's about a year or so before the doors closed in 2006... IIRC.
yeah I was thinking it was late production as in maybe within the last year or two.

Well, the new ones say Utah on the barrel...no mention of Columbia, SC.
no kidding? man I'm gonna have to find one of those so I can give it a good looking over... which will probably lead to a big dent in my checkbook....

I'd probably part with seven & a half hundred for something with nice wood & a .338 sized hole in the tube.

I know where there's a LH (New Haven) 338. Looks really nice, but I have a 340 already.
LH no good for me.
Posted By: g5m Re: New Model 70s on the shelf! - 10/01/08
Originally Posted by triggerguard1

The bottom metal(Williams?) was very nice and a one-piece unit,and had gold embossed "Special Edition" on it.

We made the floorplate and extractor, but the trigger guard itself is aluminum and being produced by another vendor for FN.

Matt,
Do you or will you be making replacement steel bottom metal for the new model 70's?
Thanks.
Our existing steel bottom metal for short and long-action model 70's are a drop-in fit for the new Winchesters with aluminum trigger guards being made by FN.
I looked at two more today and almost bought the 270. The more I look at them, the better I like them.The machining and fit of parts, the way the safety works,floated barrel,etc.There is nothing much to do to them except mount a scope and shoot.The one I wanted was very pretty as well with light-colored wood and some fiddleback.The extractor was VERY nice;tight,well fitted.

The ONLY thing I noticed was a tendency for the follower to ride up and tilt forward a bit;not ride up completely flush, but this was with an empty magazine.Could behave right if loaded.

I have to admit the trigger was superb;light, crisp, no creep,nothing for overtravel you'd notice. Ironically, I could not do it!!

I am reconsidering;they seem to be a nice rifle.
Posted By: Odessa Re: New Model 70s on the shelf! - 10/03/08
I saw two today, both Featherweights, one a .270 WIN, the other a .30-06. The stock grain was very nicely figured, but a yellowish color, not the reddish I associate with original Model 70's - the pad had the Pachmayr name on it, not Winchesters. The metal fit was nearly perfect, the bolt face was clean as a whistle - first bolt faces I have seen on a Model 70 in 8-9 years that didn't have tool marks all over it. Matt's extractor was very cleanly made as well. The bluing was nice and deep, and the crown on the barrel was nicely counter bored. The rifle has a strange new serial number sequence (like a Browning) - the two I saw had several numerals, then the letters AMP, then five more numerals. I could barely read the fine print on the right side of the barrel, but I could swear it said "Made in USA, Morgan Utah" (not Columbia SC), but the engraving was too small and I was in bad light, too bad for my bifocals to make it out clearly. This dealer (Mackey's Gunshop) wanted $999.00 (price includes the sales tax), so I think waiting until more come out is in order. Oh, the floor plate had a small silver engraved "2008 edition" or something close to that, engraved in it.
My closest Cabela's store said March '09??
Originally Posted by fremont
My closest Cabela's store said March '09??

March 09? Come East, young man.We got them already!
Odessa: The metal work is very crisp,sharp,and the parts FIT TOGETHER and work. The safety works like it's assembled correctly,and you are right,no tool marks anywhere. Action is slick.

What is the follower made from? Can you tell? I am not paying that much..... I have one on hold eek
I too saw some rough machine checkering on late model new haven M70's & it was tough for me to see it because I'm such a fan of the M70

The very latest new haven M70 i have is marked differently on the reciever & i'd really like it if someone could tell me when this marking began?

[Linked Image]

the fit & finish of this rifle is awesome, I really like it. but... something's wrong, can't get it to shoot like my other M70's.

this is not a new M70, this is a vary late model new haven M70. so posting this is a bit of a hijack-derailment. sorry bout that, I just thought maybe someone checking this could answer my questions as to when & why that started marking like this.

Previously, most if not all of the New Haven rifles, had the Olin Trademark noticed molded into the "Winchester" brand recoil pad. The reproduction rifles made by Miroku (1886, 1885) had the trademark notice engraved on the barrel or tang as those came with steel buttplates.

With a switch to a different pad, FN had to put a trademark notice somewhere. I believe Olin's requires the trademark notice for liability issues as well as intellectual property rights.

Anyone seeing any extreme weather model 70s on the gun racks?
now that does make sense because this one has a decelorator pad on it from the factory.

are they making any left hand models?

[Linked Image]

That marking began in 2003.
Posted By: Odessa Re: New Model 70s on the shelf! - 10/03/08
Odessa: The metal work is very crisp,sharp,and the parts FIT TOGETHER and work. The safety works like it's assembled correctly,and you are right,no tool marks anywhere. Action is slick.

What is the follower made from? Can you tell? I am not paying that much..... I have one on hold eek

Bob, I don't know what the follower is made of - it appeared to be steel, but I didn't open the floor plate and look it over; I was really focused on the bolt (cause they have been so crappy on the late Classics). I won't pay $999.00 either - they are just trying to tap into the "brand new euphoria" - I won't bite on that. I am sure I will come across one somewhere in VA, NC, SC or GA in the next 6-12 months that will be priced right and have a wood grain that suits me. Odessa
Originally Posted by Redneck
Not from me.. Check my posts from a few days ago re: the 'new' model 70..

(flame suit ready)...
Not sure what the Hawkeyes are actually selling for, but I noticed a very few 'new' M70s on Gunbroker two days ago with asking prices starting around $769 and at that time, there were NO bidders.. Haven't checked today..

I had one in hand last week.. I wasn't impressed.. I'm buying the 'old' M70s whenever I can find the right model, caliber and condition.. Just received a NIB, early serial # Classic M70 FWT in .280 Rem; never even had the bolt in the receiver, with box and all papers etc... It's exquisite... I'll find a spot in the safe, trust me...

laugh laugh

wish that guy that had the model 70 in 280 rem would of went threw on selling it to me, i guess i'll just have to wait again.

Rugers are cheaper for a reason. They are made of castings.
This makes them look boxy/clubby and cheap IMO.
Posted By: GeoW Re: New Model 70s on the shelf! - 10/04/08
I thought that too for years but now, I think I know what cheap is...it ain't the Ruger..

g
It ain't. I've seen LOTS of cheap Winchesters though.
Posted By: Gasman Re: New Model 70s on the shelf! - 10/04/08

It was about the same time that they transitioned from the six-digit (G3XXXXX) to the seven-digit serial numbers starting with "2" (G2XXXXXX).
dogcatcher: I don't think they are the "second coming";I'm trying to be objective in looking at them.I'm sure they will be a nice rifle for the money.

The "second coming" was discontiued in 1964....where you been?(grin)
Casting is a cheaper way of manufacturing. This cant be argued.
I also cant be argued that the M77 is shaped like a loaf of bread.
I never said they where junk, but they are made using cheaper mfg. techniques and the sticker price shows it.
© 24hourcampfire