Home
other than the bolt release what is different about the Belgian built safari actions over say like an commercial FN sporter like say a jc higgins model 50. the safaris I have looked at sure are nice guns, the actions seem smoother and the gun feels a little tighter than a commercial FN sporter. or maybe its just because the safaris I have looked at have all been in excellent shape
Some of the Safari actions are push feed while most are the normal long extractor mauser action. Perhaps this will help.
I had a Model 50 and the trigger is pinned to the trigger guard assembly, not like a conventional trigger.
The action on the safari is/was the supreme or delux (same)

The safari had an adjustable trigger.The action was finished reallly nice all over.
My model 50 had a two piece trigger with the actual trigger pinned to the guard. The action, below the stoick isn't finished as nice as the safari. The safari was considered, by some, the best factory rifle made.
If both are control feed then they are both FNs...The Browning is a better finished rifle with better wood, thats about it..The M-50 is just and FN and its a pretty darn good work gun, and a good gun for a custom rifle project....
I do however like the bolt release on a standard FN better than the Browning version. The FN is more of a normal bolt release. There is a difference in finish between a Sears and a Browning, but the normal FN Deluxe rifles were as nice as a Browning FN. I like the FN action just as well as anything.
You can find the same grade of FN on the ones sold under the FN name as the FN Deluxe. As stated, the Brownings (Safari, Medallion, and Olympian) all used the FN Supreme action. There were a lot of nice custom rifles built off those, too.

I am always running across these things, and full up on them, except for the actions or barreled actions for projects, so if anyone really wants a nice Safari, let me now and I will put it on my list and point you to it.
Originally Posted by Lee24
As stated, the Brownings (Safari, Medallion, and Olympian) all used the .

Unless I am mistaken, they didn't ALL use the FN Supreme action. Some used a Sako push feed action.
Long actions were by FN, shorter actions were Sako. The Husqvarnas before the HVA also had FN actions. The trigger and bolt release were the different aspects of a Browning. All the FN's were nicely made. I agree that the Long Extractor Brownings are among the best rifles mass produced.
dan
don't want to hijack the thread but:

what does a decent safari in say 30-06 cost these days? thanks
Originally Posted by hotsoup
don't want to hijack the thread but:

what does a decent safari in say 30-06 cost these days? thanks

an 06 seems to be the easiest to find, prices are kinda all over the map from 7-1400, I saw a beauty in 30-06 for 7 or 900 locally, can't remember, those guns are very very nice. I am kinda on the look out for one for my dad in 270, 270's are a lot more rare. he made some legendary kills with an old FN commercial sporter he bought in the early 50's the rifle was stolen about the time I was born, he basically thinks those fn's have magic powers and wants another one. I think I am going to steer him toward a safari because they all seem so nice
My 1964 vintage 30-06 safari went on safari with me and it does have magical powers. Shoots 180 gr TSX like a house on fire!!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Just might see if it can kill a whitetail next month.
Here in Florida, Safaris can be had for as little as 500 and up to around 1500.
Mostly depends on condition rather than caliber.

Every day above ground is a good day
I'm in the midst of an extensive article on the Browning High Power rifle series.It was origanaly intended for "Smokelore",but I don't happen to have an Olympian Grade locally I can photo,and the owners of all the good photos on the 'net won't let me use them.

When I finish it I'll just post it here,sans Olympian Grade photos.

They are the highest quality and most accurate out of the box mass produced rifle ever made,IMO.

WB.
Originally Posted by WheelchairBandit

They are the highest quality and most accurate out of the box mass produced rifle ever made,IMO.

WB.

Except, perhaps for the "salt stock" rifles? Not trying to be a smart aleck...just pointing out that there were problems with some of them.
Every production rifle ever made has some sort of problem with them.Brownings from 1968-1975 had one of the worst problems of any production gun-salt cured wood.Although you mainly hear about it with the High Powered Rifle Series (in particular the Safari Grade),infact the hardest hit model was the T-Bolt,and Superposed shotguns were right up there as well.T-Bolts took the brunt of it though,and I can honestly say I've seen more salt wood T-Bolts than I have "normal" T-Bolts.

So for the High Powered Rifle series,salt wood is the #1 thing you have to watch out for.The next thing you have to look out for are cracks in the stock-mostly in the trigger guard and upper tang areas.A distant third is "fakes",which are mostly Medallion and Olympians,although Safaris in rare calibers have their own share of fakes.There are a few fake Olympians out there that are so badly done that it's funny.

But salt wood is your #1 concern with these rifles,and most times they are relatively simple to pick out.I mainly look at the recoil lug studs and all around the stock line,mainly near the front reciever ring.If you see rust or tarnishing in these areas,thats a good sign.If the owner/dealer will let you do it,pop the barreled action out of the stock.If there is any rust or corrision,run away.If you have a rifle that is questionable,you take a small chip out of the stock and mail it to Browning.If you don't want to do that,take the chip and put a little silver nitrate on it.If it turns white,you've got a salt gun.

I could go on for hours about this stuff,but I'll save it for the write up.I've personaly delt with 3 salt guns.Every hair brain trick was attempted,and in the end all three ended up getting restocked.

WB.
WCB

I bought a FN Browning a few months ago. It's a 3006 Safari and according to the serial number it was made in 1959. The bluing seems to be very uniform and deep? The action feeds and ejects very smoothly and it's very accurate.

One thing I have not seen before is the scope mounts, they are Bueler? Never seen them before although they appear to be fairly robust in their construction and they kind of go with the old Leupold 4x.

The only downside is that the stock was well used and I'm in the process of sanding down and fitting a new one for it.

I'll look forward to reading more about these beasts.
Westcoaster,
1959 would make it a first year rifle,and as such,you don't have to worry about salt wood (although you can occasionaly run into one that was restocked at the factory with salt wood later).

Buehler mounts are very nice and fairly common on rifles from the 50's-70's.IIRC Browning factory bases were made by Redfield,which are a little lighter than Buehlers.

Are you looking to refinish your stock or replace it altogether?If you would like to restock it,contact Western Gun Parts out of Alberta.They bought all of Brownings parts in the early 80's.You can get a new stock for your rifle for about $195.

http://www.westerngunparts.com/

WB.

Westcoaster,
Buehler mounts were popular back then. There are several variations. Post a picture. They are very strong. The pivoting design lets you align scope without stressing the tube.
I have a .270 Browning Safari made in 1962. I shot 5 rounds thru the bbl.to sight it in, then stuck it in the safe before leaving for Viet Nam. Somehow, I've just never got around to shooting it again. Got involved with archery, and the guns just sat in the safe.

I pulled it out the other day, took off the old Redfield 3x9, & mounted a 2.5x8 Leupold on it, and one of these days, I'll get out there and sight it in again.

Richard
nice pics and nice rifle
Now that's a real Browning, Mississippi!

I like your pics as well.

I certainly prefer the stock on my FN to that Browning used. Mine had a standard military trigger with the wing safety on the left side of the bolt. I have since swapped the trigger out. I do like the safety on the left. It is a beautifully finished gun, easily the same as the Browning's I have seen.

[Linked Image]
That rifle has class written all over it...

Very nice.
cummins,
I sent you a PM about a mint Safari in .270.
WCB,

I checked with Western but they are sold out for FN Brownings. Good link though thanks for the info. I've attached a couple of pics, one shows all this scrolling on the bottom and one showing the chunk missing from the stock...

Lee24

I've attached a pic of the mounts. I am having difficulty zooming in closer with this camera though.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Westcoaster -
I will post a picture of some Buehler mounts with the scope removed so you can compare.

CumminsCowboy -
Now reply from you about that mint Safari in .270.
Are you still interested, or should I steer someone else to it?
Westcoaster,
Try these guys,they bought up bunch of the stocks from Western Gun Parts-
http://www.customshopinc.com/

The "scrolling" on your floor plate is standard Safari Grade engraving for the Mauser action guns-the floor plates on the Sakos were engraved with a different pattern.

WB.
Great thread. Thank you, wheelchair bandit on the lead to Western Gun Parts. I have an FN Mauser Delux purchased in 1962, I stupidly cut the stock and installed a recoil pad. I'm going to try restoring this rifle to its original condition. It's a 30-06 and extremely accurate.
A couple of things about these old Safari's, not only do they look great, they are very capable shooters!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
What years were the browning safaris made on those FN Mausers?

Were the brownings all new mauser receivers ?

Were they considered a true mauser or were their safety’s , triggers and bolt releases different?
And...

Is there a way to date the serial number??
You'll likely do better searching around on collector sites than here for all that info. Brownings are "complicated". Add in the salt wood issue, the Sako-based ones, and also European models that sometimes find their way here and it gets more so. I still run into stuff I didn't know about from time to time, and I've been looking at them off and on for years.

You'll pay a premium for Brownings over other FN rifles, especially nice ones.
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
other than the bolt release what is different about the Belgian built safari actions over say like an commercial FN sporter like say a jc higgins model 50. the safaris I have looked at sure are nice guns, the actions seem smoother and the gun feels a little tighter than a commercial FN sporter. or maybe its just because the safaris I have looked at have all been in excellent shape

That made for Sears Roebuck Mauser with FN action came from Harrison & Richardson (they also made limited number of rifles with H&R stamped on them in .270 and .30-06). Not a bad rifle. If you are determined to get FN Sporter or Browning FN I would go with .338 or .375 where the extra weight is welcomen. In early years both Weatherby and Sako used FN Mauser actions to make rifles. I would consider pre-1964 Winchester 70. The two standouts are .270 Featherweight and standard weight in .338 Winchester Magnum. Another standout was L-579 actioned Harrison & Richardson (.308 most common caliber) which if found in top shape can be had for about $500. I had to plug in a line for Old Model 70 because I'm a Winnie guy.
Originally Posted by Buckskin
I have a .270 Browning Safari made in 1962. I shot 5 rounds thru the bbl.to sight it in, then stuck it in the safe before leaving for Viet Nam. Somehow, I've just never got around to shooting it again. Got involved with archery, and the guns just sat in the safe.

I pulled it out the other day, took off the old Redfield 3x9, & mounted a 2.5x8 Leupold on it, and one of these days, I'll get out there and sight it in again.

Richard

What was wrong with the 3X9 Redfield?
I havent seen a Browning Safari in years, last one was a 264WM if I remember correctly. I dont see many FN Mausers anymore either.
In my opinion the original FN was the better rifle. They tend to be lighter, came with a well proportioned classic stock and had a left side wing safety.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by 30Gibbs
Originally Posted by Buckskin

Richard

What was wrong with the 3X9 Redfield?

Nothing. Redfield made Browning branded scopes in 60s and 70s. They can still be used but the image will not be as sharp or bright as in new scopes of good quality.
Originally Posted by EdM
In my opinion the original FN was the better rifle. They tend to be lighter, came with a well proportioned classic stock and had a left side wing safety.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That is what one would call professional or game wardens rifle, no frills quality, reliable piece.
I just bought a push feed safari in 7mm yesterday that had been at the local pawn shop maybe 3months.
Topped with the vx3 leupold it just feels good.
Ready to shoot it and then decide if I keep it or sell it
© 24hourcampfire