Home
Pawn shop has one in ought six for $860. I could trade some guns I don't shoot for it. Any good? Worth it? They used two different actions, no? Dakota and something proprietary? Whats the story? Thanks.
I only saw one, several years ago. The way I remember it Beretta used Dakota actions to build the MATO - the one I saw was quite nice.
Nice rifle, but too heavy for an 06. They used Dakota 97 actions with detachable mags and most had B&C stocks. I had a 7 mag and sold it because I did not like the detachable mag.
HS stocks.

I killed my biggest whitetail with a Mato and that wasn't enough to make me want to keep it.
They were not made from Dakota 97 Actions but rather a variation of them, the recoil lugs are different. They have shilen triggers and use the same scope mounts as the 97's.
They are a little heavy but are excellent shooting rifles. Maybe not the rifle you want to carry up into the mountains but good for general all-around hunting. The magazines are mounted to a removeable floorplate, a little different but they feed just fine.

Here's a wood stocked Mato in 300 Mag:

[Linked Image]

The rifle on the bottom of the next picture is a Dakota 97

[Linked Image]

The Dakota 97's have a thick recoil lug mounted ahead of the receiver similar to a Remington 700. The recoil lug of the Mato's is much thinner and is inset into receiver and isn't visible from the side.

Anyway for $900 and especially if it's a good trade there's not another rifle available for the same price that will equal the overall quality of a Mato. Check what Dakota prices the 97's for...............................DJ
Beretta made these with Dakota actions, custom barrels, and Mac stocks. The magazine is odd, floor plate type, extra's have to be fitted by a gunsmith. Accurate guns, solid actions, and good triggers.

The old Galyans chain had a large number of the Matos, sold for well below the original pride of $850 - $900. The Mato goes for $750 or so when they appear.

I picked up one when Galyans was getting rid of all they had, in 7mm Rem Mag for an Elk hunt one of these days.

First B&C stocks now McMillan. Hoping someone chimes in saying it was a Bansner
LOL!
Whatever stock it is, they are a very good rifle!
Originally Posted by Mikem2
Beretta made these with Dakota actions, custom barrels, and Mac stocks.

Only a very small numbers of the early production models had McMillan stocks, you can tell the difference in the stocks because the Mcmillan's had checkering the later std. synthetic stocks don't.
A buddy of mine said that he had one that actually said Dakota on the side of the action, I haven't seen it to verify that. The later action's look to be made by someone else. Comparing a Mato bolt to my Dakota 97, the Dakota 97 is noticably better machined with finer machining, sharper edges etc.. There are cosmetic differences such as grooves around the bolt and running the length of the bolt in the Mato. The Mato is definately a copy of the 97 other than the different recoil lug but they certainly look like they were not manufactured by the same people...................................DJ
Already said it, HS stock.
They do take the same mounts as a Dakota.
That is correct, Dakota mounts, used Talley's on mine.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Already said it, HS stock.

I'm not so sure. The Synthetic stocks are not marked in any way. They have a aluminum chassis like both the HS Precision and Bell and Carlson Medalist stocks. The wrist is substantially thinner than the HS Precision stocks which makes me think that they are much more likely to be Bell and Carlson's than HS's, but they aren't marked so you can't say for sure.............................DJ
I've seen enough HS stocks to know what an HS stock is. I've also recall the articles at the time and than there is this.

http://www.hendershots.net/gunRoomDetail.aspx?id=2340
Hendershots is proud of that .270 Mato $1,200 with talley mounts! - Based on a Dakota 97 Action - They were going for $500 when Galyans was 'purging' of them. They do get some interesting stuff at Hendershots. A while back they had Steyr Full Stock 7x57 and 6.5x55's. smile

I've seen enough HS stocks to know what an HS stock is. I've also recall the articles at the time and than there is this.

http://www.hendershots.net/gunRoomDetail.aspx?id=2340

Steelhead, you are going from memory. I have 2 HS Precision Rifles and have used their replacement stocks. I have 3 Beretta Mato's and have an extra synthetic stock for the wood one in the picture, I have the extra stock IN MY HANDS looking at it comparing it to HS PRECISION Stock IN MY HANDS. I also had the Dakota Model 97 IN MY HANDS while making this post!
The Web site listed could be mistaken just as anyone else can be.
They MIGHT be HS Precision Stocks, but they are DIFFERENT than any HS stock that I've ever had in my hands, this is something that you can't be sure about............................DJ
I picked up my Mato for about 7 bills. Too heavy for my tastes, stock was funky and the removable mag didn't warm me up but they did handle it well.

I'm sure they and I are wrong.

I do know one thing, you're an idiot.
I'm sure they and I are wrong.

I do know one thing, you're an idiot.

I guess that your definition of idiot is someone who actually knows what he is talking about and has proof in his hands to disprove some of your faulty memory..................................DJ
The magazine is odd, Beretta wanted the rifle to fit the magazine, if you wanted an extra. Have not shot mine, scoped it, but other rifles are closer to the front of the safe these days.

I don't care what you have in your hands. I am impressed with your one hand typing though.

Not a faulty memory at all, nor does Hendershots have one either. I suggest you call them the first chance you have and correct them.

So what stock is it?

Guess I will pass. Thanks guys.

I know for a fact, btw, that there are Dakota marked Matos around. I have seen one.
Do you have proof, deejay will be on your ass if you are going by memory,
Ryan, don't change your mind based on anything I said, my memory could be wrong. In fact I think it might have been a Stevens 200 I was thinking of. Hard to tell, they were so much alike.
Originally Posted by RyanScott
Guess I will pass. Thanks guys.

I know for a fact, btw, that there are Dakota marked Matos around. I have seen one.

I don't doubt it, I just tried to be circumspect in saying that another friend mentioned the same thing you did but couldn't call it fact since I haven't seen it myself.

As far as the stock goes, nobody really knows for sure. The very early ones had checkering and I think they were most likely made by McMillan - probably the same ones with Dakota made actions. The later stocks could be made by B&C or HS but since they aren't marked you can't tell for sure. They have cheekpeices which most HS's don't and have thinner wrists than any HS I've ever owned or handled which leads me to think that they are more likely to be B&C's. Just trying to be precise about what you can know for sure and what's merely assumed.............................DJ
I had one for a short time. Mine had a MPI stock and a Remington 700 action.
I have had two of these and just felt compelled to chime in on the stock issue. Not that I have a dog in this fight, but i do have some facts.

I spoke to both Dakota people and Beretta people, and they both confirmed that the stocks were made by B&C. They were/are essentially built like the Medalist line of stocks, which has the aluminum chassis.

As a side note, I have owned B&C medlaist stocks for other actions, and the overall geometry of the Matos was eerily similar.

Also, though a scant few of the Dakota made models had LW barrels, most had some other cheapy barrel attached.

Lastly, the shilen trigger was made/modified (intentionally)to keep the trigger pull above 4lbs. You would have to send it back to Shilen to have them modify it to get it down around 3lbs.

By the way, mine were later ones produced by Beretta, and were not well assembled or good shooting rifles.

And if you wanted an extra mag, you would have to send the whole thing back to Beretta to have a mag fitted, at significant cost, they would not do it any other way....what a pain in the arse....

Originally Posted by TC1
I had one for a short time. Mine had a MPI stock and a Remington 700 action.

GREAT!
I don't know who made the stock for the one I had, but it was lefthanded, and a singleshot.
I am a "Beretta enthusiast" and am sometimes very befuddled and bewildered by their 'We've been here for 500 years, so take what you get' attitude and marketing strategies.
I wanted to have a Beretta RIFLE to join my 1201FPG3 shotgun and assorted pistols.
There was so much waiting for, and then controversy when finally marketed, I had to forget the idea entirely!
It was a goat-[bleep] operation and I was bitterly disappointed.
My 'ULTIMATE' rifle would've been the synthetic stocked .375 H&H with the sights and muzzle brake.
Oh, how I wanted that rifle!
Then I find that, as stated above, it had this action and/or that action; the bbl. was made by Beretta, LW, or whomever; the stock was: pick one...; the magazines were 1 to a customer with fitting required for extras.
FORGET THAT $HIT!!! eek

So, I stuck with my Remington 700's and that's my story. grin
Originally Posted by BlackBart
I have had two of these and just felt compelled to chime in on the stock issue. Not that I have a dog in this fight, but i do have some facts.

I spoke to both Dakota people and Beretta people, and they both confirmed that the stocks were made by B&C. They were/are essentially built like the Medalist line of stocks, which has the aluminum chassis.

As a side note, I have owned B&C medlaist stocks for other actions, and the overall geometry of the Matos was eerily similar.

Also, though a scant few of the Dakota made models had LW barrels, most had some other cheapy barrel attached.

Lastly, the shilen trigger was made/modified (intentionally)to keep the trigger pull above 4lbs. You would have to send it back to Shilen to have them modify it to get it down around 3lbs.

By the way, mine were later ones produced by Beretta, and were not well assembled or good shooting rifles.

And if you wanted an extra mag, you would have to send the whole thing back to Beretta to have a mag fitted, at significant cost, they would not do it any other way....what a pain in the arse....

Thank you for confirming my suspicions that they were B&C Stocks. Some people think that if they have an Aluminum chassis they are HS stocks but it's obviously not so.

I realize that having to send rifles back to have magazines fitted is a PITA but the alternative would be to have people whining about how their expensive rifles don't feed properly. My wood stocked rifle did come with 2 magazines and 2 stocks and the wood stocked rifle did require the mag to be fitted before it would feed properly. Not too difficult to do but it needed it. In the end I think that overall the magazines weren't a good idea they were just trying too hard to have a removeable magazine with a traditional styled floorplate. I think they would have been much better off with a std floorplate.

And although the machining on mine isn't as clean as a Dakota all three of my Mato's are excellent shooters. I would like to collect a couple more in calibers I don't yet have. I think they were very good rifles....................................DJ
Dude, stay on track, he's running off memory.

For the record when I talked to Beretta and sent my rifle in for a second magazine, the confirmed HS.
Steelhead, Everyone makes mistakes. Being able to admit a mistake is a sign of maturity, not being able to is a sign of immaturity. Lowering yourself into sarcasm and further insults shows even less maturity.

That's your man less for the day son, let it sink in...............................DJ
I'm curious, his memory is fine, mine is flawed?

I got your man lesson.
I have serious doubts that you really sent your rifle into Beretta to have a second magazine. I think you just made up your last post because you are contentious and like to argue even when you are shown to be wrong.
I beleive the earlier post because the Mato stocks are unlike any HS stock I've ever handled - which is quite a few. They are near identical in profile to the B&C Medalists. Based on the evidence it's pretty easy which one to beleive. I could still be wrong here but I seriously doubt it.

I do like your Drilling though smile .............................DJ
Jeesh guys, maybe there is more here than meets the eye, but there is no reason to take all of this stuff so personally.

Just to clarify though, I am not "working from memory". I spoke to a woman named Paula at Dakota, and think I still have her email where she told me by serial # which actions were made by Dakota as well.

I also spoke to several Beretta people about these as well, and did end up sending the .338 I had in for an extra Mag. I recall the converstaions about these quite well.

I also spoke with Woody Woodall at LW about the barrels to clarify how many barrels they supplied and he was very informative in that regard.

I also called and spoke directly with Shilen people about the triggers on the Mato's.

I do my research as knowing beats guessing........ grin

DJ - you have a good point about the mags being fitted to guarantee feeding, but in practice, my xtra .338 didn't work out so well. It would not reliable feed from the xtra mag. That coupled with the fact that it was relatively inaccurate and only touched on one bolt lug, caused me to sell it off.

I agree though, they had great potential. I just think the execution did not work out so well on Beretta's end when manufacturing was transfered over to them. That said though, if I found a Dakota made one I would probably buy it.
The sales mgr. of Dakota Arms (Paulette Kok) sent me the complete serial nos. of the actions and barreled actions they made for Berreta. The serial nos. start with RAA001001 and the last one produced is RAA001203. Some serial nos. in between these numbers were never sent to Berreta. I have a list of when the actions were made,when they were shipped and when they were recieved by Berreta. She told me they stopped shipping actions because of a contract dispute. The dipute was that the word "DAKOTA" was not to be placed anywhere on the action. I never did find out who made the other actions. The original barrels were Lothar Walther and the stocks were made by B&C. I hope this info helps.
They're Bansners.

I remember one time I sent a Marlin back to be custom fitted for see-thrus. They messed up the squirrel engraved on the stock and replaced the whole rig with a DakMato in .30-30. The stock had a new squirrel on one side and "Bansner" on the other.
Mine was stocked by ether Tom Shelhammer of Jerry Fisher (memory issue) from a nice blank of cottonwood from a secluded spot the banks of the Cuyama River...................

smile

Happy Holidays to everyone.
bluedreaux - God bless you, we needed some levity! i'm still laughing!
Did anyone figure out who made these stocks? Beretta is closing out synthetic Mato stocks for $99. I'm wondering if they'd fit a regular commercial Mauser action with minor modification?

http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/beretta-synthetic-stock-for-mato-rifle/ud5a0125/
I think it's a deal under $1000. 97s sell for a lot more than that and that's what the rifle is really.
i've had a Mato in 270 about 10 years and absolutely love it. accuracy better than MOA, super trigger, quality synthetic stock, 3 position wing safety. one and only downside is it is a tad heavy so I use it primarily when hunting from a stand for whitetails, not if I'm doing a lot of walking. recommended an identical one to a hunting pal and he feels the same about his: almost 1 hole accuracy @100 yards. like to find one in 300 WM.
Hey, I'm bringing back an oldie but a goodie.
I will soon be acquiring a 7mm Mag Mato from a member on the fire.

Does anyone out there have one of the walnut stocks that Beretta purged a few years ago? I'm a little younger and missed that whole thing, lol. I am very interested in buying one.
Midwest has them still for sale, but for $650. I have a new baby and can't even come close to affording that. I'm looking around $250. That's just my budget and a profit for someone who bouhgt one of the purged ones.

Thanks in advance, JW
Originally Posted by garCH
i've had a Mato in 270 about 10 years and absolutely love it. accuracy better than MOA, super trigger, quality synthetic stock, 3 position wing safety. one and only downside is it is a tad heavy so I use it primarily when hunting from a stand for whitetails, not if I'm doing a lot of walking. recommended an identical one to a hunting pal and he feels the same about his: almost 1 hole accuracy @100 yards. like to find one in 300 WM.

What is heavy? I have looked at one in 300 win mag, it has the synthetic stock.
Always wanted a Mato in 280
The 7mm mag bare rifles came in at a little under 7lbs 11ozs. A little more for a larger mag, of course.
Similar to most rifles compared I guess.
I was looking at a late nineties super grade M70 300 mag and it weighed in at 8.25lbs, comparatively.
I really wanted this one, because of the action and barrel. Oh, and the price was right.

Hopefully there is a Walnut stock out there somewhere (anyone?), that way I am approaching what that super grade look could have been.
Originally Posted by hicountry
Always wanted a Mato in 280

I have one of those in .280. Have yet to shoot it. My friend tells me his 30-06 is a tack driver. Makes me want one in '06 in that I haven't had great luck with cartridge
Originally Posted by djpaintless

A buddy of mine said that he had one that actually said Dakota on the side of the action, I haven't seen it to verify that. The later action's look to be made by someone else...

Yes there are Dakota Arms marked 97 actions,
however Beretta in Maryland also manufactured a version of the Dakota 97 action.
© 24hourcampfire