Home
Local dealer has one of these and wondering if anyone here has one and if so what were their thoughts on it.
I believe bigwhoop here had one, and it shot and fed pretty darn well.
Keep in mind that the 'long action' Kimber 8400's are really a magnum action length with a spacer in the magazine and a shorter bolt stop.

Now you may want the longer, heavier rifle however I feel that the Kimber 8400's in the WSM cartridges are a standout rifle.

Consider a Kimber 8400 300 WSM. Its neat.

The Kimber in the 300 WM weighs 10 oz. more and is 3" longer than its WSM brother. Two inches of that extra length is from the 26" barrel that the long action 300 WM's come with!

http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/
I agree on the 300 wsm and I already own one but I really like the looks of this longer model. Kimber lists the weight at 6 lb 9 ounces is that correct?
The catalog here says 6 lbs, 13 oz. for the 8400 Montana in 300 WM.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/8400/8400_montana/74/

If you have handled the rifle and like it as compared to others then nothing beats that. Its weight is similar to the old M70 Featherweights!

As for myself I much prefer the WSM rifle and cartridge. To each his own.

Thanks for the info. I will have to look at it a little closer next time I am there. He also has a 270 win, 270wsm for sale. I would rather have a 7mm or 30 caliber rifle. I did not realize there was a spacer in the magazine either.
Oldelk,
AC is right, I had a 300WM Montana and it performed very well. As you may know, it is about a bit longer and heavier than the 300WSM. You can look at the stats. The 300WM delivered about 100fps more than my 300WSM's have so that is really of no consequence. I think the 300WSM Montana is a more efficient package. The maximum magazine length, according to my notes was 3.405" which allowed plenty of room for "tweaking" your OAL's.
I also had the same package in a .338WM. After all my playing around, I feel the 300WSM is the best package for what I need done while saving about 12 ounces in the process.
Good luck with your decision.
© 24hourcampfire