Home
Posted By: Ken14 Remington 600 Mohawk - 11/14/08
Just bought a 600 Mohawk from a co-worker...in .243...seemes to be in excellent shape..any pros-cons on the little rifle...looks as it will be a top notch truck gun....whats everyone's .02?
Posted By: sg5054 Re: Remington 600 Mohawk - 11/14/08
I have a mohawk action in my Hunter class benchrest gun in 308. Works like a dream, shoots excellent. No complaints here.
Posted By: shooter42 Re: Remington 600 Mohawk - 11/14/08
ifn i remember correctly it was the gun remington made to sell at the mart type stores. just a 600 without a lot of the walnut/blue fine finish, was meant to be a utility gun. i believe they are a very good value except that aftermarket parts are not there to support easy or inexpensive customization. with that said i used the action from one to build a 22-250 ai and am very happy with it.
Posted By: JPro Re: Remington 600 Mohawk - 11/14/08
I killed my first deer with this one when I was 10 years old. It's a .308 Mohawk belonging to my father, and he bought it at a gunshow in the early 80's. I thought he gave $150 for it, but he recently told me that he gave $125 for it and the K3 Weaver it was wearing.

[Linked Image]

Someone had refinished the walnut stock, added a recoil pad, swivels, and had also lengthened the pistol grip. The little bugger shoots well. I've got to load some ammo for it tonight.
Posted By: dubePA Re: Remington 600 Mohawk - 11/14/08
Only con I can recall about 600/660s back when they were fairly new, were some problems with the safety being reliable. I consider all safeties to be "unreliable", so if one practices safe gun handling at all times, might not be a problem?

They are great handling little buggers and most that I've seen, shoot very well. Years ago just about every farm kid within a mile of my camp seemed to have one in 243. At least it looked like it around there, on the first day of buck seasons. ;o)
Posted By: 721_tomahawk Re: Remington 600 Mohawk - 11/14/08
I love them and have a whole slug of the 600 actions..
Posted By: olhippie Re: Remington 600 Mohawk - 11/15/08
I've got three 600's . One in 243 shoots dime sized three shot groups, it is the most accurate sporting model currently in my collection.Another I have is in 6mm Remington, also a very accurate gun! The 6mm has a walnut stock and an after market floor plate in black anodized aluminum that is beautiful. Finally I have one with a Shilen barrel in 284 Winchester, puts three shots under an inch with factory loads.

....I sold a 600 in 222 Remington that I regret parting with. I'd bought it new for 125 dollars, never shot it, sold it for 350 dollars. I wish I had it back!
I have 2 custom 600s, one 257 Bob and a 7-08, sold a 223AI. They are great little rifles.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Remington 600 Mohawk - 11/15/08
Just a week or 2 ago I put a 22" Remington 700 BDL take-off barrel in 257 Roberts on a 600 Mohawk action and bedded it into a Brown(?) Precision stock. It shoots better than it should with Hornady factory loads and 1 of those $60 Simmons Whitetail Classic 3.5-10x40s mounted on it. The alloy trigger guard assembly that I posted about awhile back looks/feels really good too, about 10,000% better than the original plastic.

Jeff
Posted By: Dancing Bear Re: Remington 600 Mohawk - 11/16/08
Considering they were only produced for a few years they are very prevalent in our groups and family. I came up with seven. I find them to be very accurate and reliable as stated earlier.

At the time the .243 was the cartridge of choice for wives and kids and still is in my family. None of my gals has ever wanted to go elk hunting. The four gals I know that shoot elk with .243's and 6 mm's have no complaints.

The factory sights are awfully rough. The birch stocks are too square for my taste.

I like the heavy, short barrel it keeps the weight between my hands.

I had to reshape the stock to suit my wife, the bolt release is tough to get to and the triggerguard is plastic.

It gives us something to do in the winter.

My middle daughter made a 250+ yd shot with hers the second yard she used it.
Posted By: Grasshopper Re: Remington 600 Mohawk - 11/16/08
Long have I been in love (or lust as the case may be) with the little carbine.

I currently own original M-600's in .308 and 6mm Rem. Also have two M-660's in in .308 Win. Both slated to be bored to .358 Win. (1-12" twist and 1-14")

Over the years, I have owned at least a dozen more, including an original .35 Rem. and 660's in 6.5 and .350 Rem Mag. Am currently looking for a M-660 in .222 at an affordable price. smile

Grasshopper
Posted By: Yukoner Re: Remington 600 Mohawk - 11/17/08
My hunting buddy has had one in 358 Win for more than 25 years. Just try and get it from him!

Couldn't, so now have one rebored from 308 Win. smile

Ted
They are good little guns. They didn't do well because of the styling and the forward swept bolt handle. I have also heard that the magazine was a little to short to take full advantage of the .350 Rem Mag. All that being said, I still want one. And I have for years. Something about those stubby little buggers just calls to me.

-Mb
Posted By: doclee Re: Remington 600 Mohawk - 11/17/08
My first rifle...Mohawk 600 in 243 topped with a weaver 4x. First rifles are granted magical powers by little 8 year old minds but this rifle could and continues to shoot dime sized groups.
Posted By: DanAdair Re: Remington 600 Mohawk - 11/18/08
I once found one in near mint condition at a pawn shop, and bought it for 250 bucks. Then I chopped it up to build a scout rifle on it...

I should be kicked squarely in the Manberries for that one frown
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Remington 600 Mohawk - 11/18/08
I am suprised you didn't screw a .260 barrel on it.

Posted By: firearms44 Re: Remington 600 Mohawk - 11/18/08
I just recently purchased A NIB complete barreled action 660 350 mag. Hang tag and all the bottom stuff. This one has the sights with no vent rib. Never been mounted in a stock. Sure wish I could find a new Laminated stock lying in a dark corner of a gunsmiths shop somewhere.

Ken
Posted By: Scorpion Re: Remington 600 Mohawk - 11/18/08
Got a Mohawk 600 in 222 Rem, it's a nice little rifle. Only thing I don't really like about that action and the XP-100 is that you cannot open the bolt with the weapon on safe. IIRC, there was a recall on certain serial numbers, as they would potentially discharge when the chamber was hot and the rifle taken off safe. I've had no problems with mine, though a close friend said they had a few that did, and sold them.
Posted By: jmj Re: Remington 600 Mohawk - 11/18/08
I've got one in .308 Accurate as can be. 100 yards with Black Hills Gold 168's TSX I get a quarter size group. My dad has one that was actually affected by the safety recall. I remember years ago we sent it back to Remington and they repaired it. As a few others pointed out, the plastic trigger guard is a bit cheezy. Sportsmans Guide has replacement metal ones for around 70 bucks, I haven't done it yet. Got a Zeiss 3-9 on mine
Posted By: DanAdair Re: Remington 600 Mohawk - 11/18/08
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
I am suprised you didn't screw a .260 barrel on it.

IIRC, the reason that one left the collection was to pay for a barrel and a Mickey for the Model 7.

Besides E-Scouts are supposed to be 308s
Posted By: cvmw Re: Remington 600 Mohawk - 11/18/08
Originally Posted by jmj
the plastic trigger guard is a bit cheezy. Sportsmans Guide has replacement metal ones for around 70 bucks[/b], I haven't done it yet. Got a Zeiss 3-9 on mine

jmj:
I sell a nice Alloy trigger guard that resembles the original for about the same money.
260remguy seems to like it.Ive sold more than a dozen so far I haven't had one complaint. and I'll guaranty satisfaction as long as there's no damage on return.

If anyone is interested PM me or email directly at [email protected]
Posted By: Hook Re: Remington 600 Mohawk - 11/20/08
I have 4 at the moment, an all original 35 Rem, a 222, a Mohawk 308, and a Mohawk that received the Brown Precision 'mountain rifle' treatment about 20 years ago.

Ken, if you (or any others) are interested, the 308 just received a stock upgrade and the Ramline that it previously wore is available.
Posted By: RJM Re: Remington 600 Mohawk - 11/20/08
..well Ken since you got my barreled action guess we have to talk about the stock...I hate to see a grown shooter cry... cry

The 600 series is my favorite hunting rifle...only wish I HAD NEVER LISTENED TO THOSE STUPID GUNWRITERS who never had a good thing to say about them back when I was a kid... If it didn't have a long action and at least a 06 length cartridge the bullet would never penetrate...

Finally got my hands on one of those evil hard kicking .350 Magnums back about five years ago and it has been my favorite hunting rifle ever since.

Next came a 600 in .308 that has been outfitted with an original 60s vintage Leupold Detacho Scout Mount and 60s vintage Redfield IER scope...a really light handy rifle.

The there was the $300 Mohawk in .222 that someone had thoughtfully rechambered to .223 and the over stamp was so well done you have to look at it in good light to know it isn't original. Will run .4" groups all day long hot or cold...

Had a 6.5 RM set up just like the .350 but sold it... A good shooter but the cartridge really needs a longer action so the bullet can be seated out to really preform.

At a recent local gun auction there was a 600/.35 Remington in 99% condition. Except for on small ding in the stock it was perfect... A very mild shooter. Ken loves it...

To me the perfect rifle would be a .358 stainless 600 complete with a stainless vent rib and laminated stock like the Magnums have... Till then the .350 will do...at least on non-rainy days...

Bob

© 24hourcampfire