Home
How much weight difference is there between the Talley LW and the standard 2 piece Leupolds?
I am not sure but the difference wouldn't be enough to matter and it really makes little difference to me personally..

All my rifles have Talley Quick Detachables on them with fitted bases on surface ground receivers so the scope will return to exact zero and it works pretty darn well...I use iron sights a lot so I need a scope to return to exact zero and had some trouble getting that done until I started doing the above....
If I recall right about 3-4 oz's, unless one is building a super flyweight I see no reason to worry about it.

I've used both, never had an issue with either. Take your pick either one will work just fine.

Dober
I have Leupolds now and I'm trying to cut some weight on a Vanguard.
Stock it with a McMillan with Edge fill will be your best best.

Dober
I've switched to all Tally's. The weight difference is likely 3-4 oz as Mark points out but the Talley is a 1 piece mount - almost indestructable.

I'd say go Talley and never look back.
B-I've found the good old Leo's to be pretty much indestructable as well. Both are good, ones lighter is all.

Dober
The Leupold's are also significantly lower if that is a consideration.
Good point Rick, not quite sure why Talley doesn't build a super duper low...

Dober
Have some Leupolds and Tallys, can't tell much difference except weight. Both perform good.
I ordered them. If I can save 4 oz on the mounts and 4 on the scope that's half a pound. It will put in a range where I won't mind to carry it so bad.
...Anybody know how Conetrol rings and bases compare in weight to the Talleys? Also, what about SK stuff?
I've put some thought into this (which is why my wife thinks she smells smoke)

Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Dober

Because, the average hunter these days needs a magnum, and a friggin huge scope with a 30MM tube and 55+MM objective. Guys that like scopes like the VXII 2-7, VXIII 2.5-8, and the fixed 4's and 6's are in the minority.
I call that the "Dolly" syndrom...it's all personal choice and I personally choose to chuckle when some chechako sticks a big butt scope on a petite lil rifle... grin

Kind of like taking a varmint gun and stickin a 3X on it aint it...grin

Dober
I was impressed on how well they hold. I purchased a set because that's all that was on the local shops shelf that day.

I would recommend them even if you are not looking to go lighter.
The Talley LW's weigh about 2.5 ounces. Leupold's with 2-piece baseswill weigh 4.5 to 5.5 ounces, depending on the bases (some are thicker and hence heavier than others), and at least 7 ounces with a 1-piece base. Conetrols go around 4 to 4.5 ounces, again depending on bases, and S&K's around 3.5 ounces.

I use a lot of the Tally LW's just because they are very tough, and very reasonably priced for that toughness. I don't mind if they are a little higher than some others. The toughness partly comes from the fact that there's no base/ring connection.

For detachable mounts it's hard to beat the Talley steel models, which weigh around 4 to 4.5 ounces, again depending on bases. I use a lot of these too, either because I might also use the iron sights on the rifle, or want to carry a spare scope already in mounts. But if you are a typical modern hunter who doesn't even want irons on his rifle, then the LW's are one of the best bargains around, even aside from their weight.

For those wanting a low lightweight combo, the Leupold rifleman rings and bases are aluminum and very light. I have had some on a 300 win mag for several years with no problems. Total cost, about $20. If you are on a budget, these merit a look. They fit on regular Weaver bases.
I have to agree there, cliff444. I had Riflemans on a Vanguard in 300Wby. Shot alot of 150s and 180s through it with nary a hiccup from the mounts. Now the horrible trigger was another story!
As far as looks go, the Leupold cheapos look as good as the Talley LWs. However, I have the latter on my Kimber because of the direct mount to the receiver simplicity. Call me two-faced.
Originally Posted by DanAdair
I've put some thought into this (which is why my wife thinks she smells smoke)

Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Dober

Because, the average hunter these days needs a magnum, and a friggin huge scope with a 30MM tube and 55+MM objective. Guys that like scopes like the VXII 2-7, VXIII 2.5-8, and the fixed 4's and 6's are in the minority.

I was looking at scopes at BPS specifically the 2.5x8 VXIII B&C and sales guy told me they never sale these or the 2x7. Most of my hunting rifles wear 2x7 or 2.5x8s, I even have one 4 and 2.5 fixed scopes in use. I let a shooting buddy talk me into 4.5x14 on 257 Vanguard and really don't care it. I have nice light 3x9 to back on it.
Since discovering the Talley lightweights I see no reason to use anything else unless you need to remove the scope to use irons. The steel Leupold rings work, but are more difficult to mount, heavier, more expensive, and not as strong.

I have never used the dual dovetail mounts but think I would prefer them to the windage adjustable mounts. The Rifleman series do not look as smooth but seem to work just fine as do the old Weavers. On rifles with iron sights that I may want to remove the scope these are my choice. With them and Ruger rings I have been able to remove and replace scopes with out losing zero.

Talley also makes aluminum Q.D. screw locks with a single screw on top instead of their standard two screws. Nice set up at only 2oz's. I'm not sure why they don't advertise them more, work well for me.

[Linked Image]

S&K's for a Remmy come in a little heavier, but still light.

[Linked Image]

TiLug ....

I like the the Talley aluminum screw-locks in the picture. I've used steel screw-locks on several rifles, and they've been flawless. (I use the Talley peep sight, also.) I can't find any reference to aluminum screw-locks on the Talley site. Did you order them directly from Talley? Was it recently? Look like a winner to me

Also, Gentry has another system of "Conetrol clones" that I believe are lighter, yet. I'll find my set and weigh them.
Mark R Dobrenski ....

I prefer my scopes to be mounted low to the receiver. And Talleys are too high in their so-called "low" configuration. My latest project is a M70 SS Featherweight 30/06. I want the scope to be as low as is functional. And Talleys, as great as they are, are too high for my tastes. The Leupold vx3 - 1.5X5, my favorite scope, is going on the project. I talked to Gary Turner at Talley every couple weeks for a while, trying to coax him into making lower bases for the steel rings, and, particularly a LOW version of the alloy one piece system. People who favor scopes of modest power and light weight are left out currently. At each conversation, he said that he'd think about it. After 5 or 6 conversations, he said that he was too busy with other projects, and wasn't going to do it. I may have to use Conetrol bases/rings to situate the scope as low as it should be.

I was and am disappointed.
I have Leupold on most of my guns, but am switching over to Talley LW one piece on all of them.

I like that they are one peice.
I like that they have more area of contact on the scope tube-wider.
I like that they have two screws per side of ring-total of 8 per set.
I like that they are alloy so they will not rust like the Luppy steel rings do.
I like them because they are cheaper than buying Base/ring separately.
I like them because they are very well made.

The reasons are endless. I just plain and simple like them.

Chris
endgameAK - ordered directly from Talley. I believe you can add the levers to the aluminum rings, but have not tried them. I like the option of pulling off the scope for basic barrel/action cleaning/service and the Talley's return to zero pretty darn well. I bought a couple sets a few months back and was told they had plenty of inventory. I've been thinking of machining down a set of their L/W's, but the front base for a Rem. action is pretty thin already. IMO, if Talley would lower the bottom ring groove a quarter inch, and scallop the corners, they'd have the perfect light weight/hunting scope mount. Fine evening to you, - Jim
© 24hourcampfire