Home
Posted By: BobinNH Boring FN Model 70 - 02/24/09
Ongoing update on the "new" M70 270 for those interested....pretty boring really as there is nothing to report other than the rifle continues to pump out sub MOA groups and behaves more like a synthetic stocked rifle than a wood stocked one......I credit that to the nicely floated barrel and the tight bedding of the action. The trigger is very pleasant to use;durability? Who knows confused

First shot from a cold barrel continues to land where it should and it shoots tighter with my load of 61-H4831-130 Nosler Partition,than it does with 130 gr Fusion factory(it shoots well with that,too!)I have not chronographed anything, but may not bother;the load has given 3050-3125 in so many 270's I've lost count,so why bother......

The snow has melted back,so I can now get to 300-400 yards,but time has been a problem; I will get to that within the next couple of days.The 4X Zeiss Conquest continues to behave as well.The rifle now has about 100 rounds through it, I think;about 4 boxes of Fusions and 20-odd handloads.....

If you're looking for a rifle to give you fits,challenge your reloading prowess and other technical rifle skills,keep you awake nights pondering how to make it shoot...........this one ain't it.........
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 02/24/09
Cool Bob!

I'm assuming they are bedded at the factory?

Do you have the Sporter of Featherweight? 22" tube?
Posted By: southtexas Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 02/24/09
My experience with my FN M70FWT 270 parallels Bob's, except the bullets are the 130gr Solid Base and 140gr Sierra HPBT.
Posted By: ruraldoc Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 02/24/09

Bob,

I bought one in 270 a few weeks ago,mine feeds and funtions perfectly and shoots 140 grain Hornady factory loads into little clusters that are close to half moa.

I have not bothered to try anything else in it.

I bought two new rifles this fall,the FN M70 Featherweight in 270,and a Kimber Select in 257 Roberts. Both of them shot close to half moa with the first load I tried and both feed slicker than you can imagine.

The fit and finish of both is very nice too,they are both very boring because I don't need to spend five hundred dollars on either of them to get them to run right or group well.

I know it's kinda popular to bash FN and Kimber,but both seem to really have their act together based on my recent experiences.

I see you bought almost the exact same guns this year as well,..... Great Minds thinkin alike maybe. grin

Glad your rifles were as good as mine.
Quick hijack...

What does your Kimber like to shoot?
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 02/24/09
Sounds like you got a good one Bob.
I wouldn't be too surprised if the fusion beats out the partition for accuracy at the longer ranges.
I have not yet examined one, does it say Winchester anywhere on the gun, or FN or BOCA?
Posted By: ehunter Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 02/24/09
Guys that is good news thanks for the update.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 02/24/09
Britt:I was thinking the same thing... cool In your case I suspect genius; in mine...dumb luck!Ha!

My experience with the Kimber tracks yours,although I have still only shot one load(Sam,note)48-H4350-100 Sierra-WW brass and WW primer(yes I know it's over book;primer pockets still tight on 3rd loading;velocity a hair under 3100,and groups are like Brittsie small....)

Sam: The 270 is a FW;the silly thing is a drill. I think the whole rifle is just a "tighter" specimen than the Classic. Every one I pick up has the same bolt,trigger and safety movement;very chrisp and nicely done.The bedding MUST be good,because the rifle shoots so well. I have not taken it outta the stock,and likely won't for awhile. I had 40-50 rounds through it before the barrel wanted cleaning.
StrayDog: Says Boca somwhere.....it seems a good one. I will try the Partition and Fusion at 300 and see....

Southtexas: I guess they are not terribly fussy and seem to shoot lotsa stuff well, based on what I hear from you guys...

I wish to hell I had an excuse to get another one.....but can't come up with a reason.....I should be grateful because the days when I want to mess with irratable,cranky rifles is long past...
Posted By: gmsemel Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 02/24/09
Sounds interesting, the last M-70 in 270 I had, needed a bedding job before it would shoot well enough. I find this interesting for an out of the Box feather weight to do this. So the new triggers make it worth the effort? Seems like they do.
Sorry I missed you,Sam. Everything is stock factory...I tightened the screws, slapped on the Conquest,and went to the range.......sick,really. The Kimber 257 is the same way....
Sounds good Bob, let us know how it does farther out.
If the Partitions don't shoot at 300 you could always be like me and try some Accubonds......grin
Posted By: High_Brass Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 02/24/09
Sounds like you definately got a winner there Bob. Nothing wrong wtih having a boring rifle like that. Congrats!
Posted By: southtexas Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 02/24/09
gmsemel

according to my gauge, the trigger breaks at 4lbs. This is a little more than I normally like, but it is so crisp that it feels lighter, and the rifle shoots so well, I hesitate to remove the stock to mess with anything.
Posted By: SKane Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 02/24/09
Robert-

Everything you HAVE shoots like that. Thinking it has something to do with the feller standing behind the rifle as well.....<grin>
Posted By: ruraldoc Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 02/24/09
Not to hijack the thread but......

Skane,

I enjoyed meeting your dad and spending a morning with him,I told him it would be a little like going on vacation and doing 'The Dolphin Experience',except it would be 'The Redneck Experince'.

He is a fine gentleman,I have never seen a man practice safer gun handling,I told him to come back again,maybe you can too. Rednecks need the PR. grin

He got some pretty cool pix,maybe you can post them for him when he gets home.

Now..... back to FN and their new trigger,it feels very good out of the box,mine is about 3.5 lbs and is a pleasure.
Posted By: johnw Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 02/24/09
sounds like time to hang some steel plates and shoot it off yer hind legs...
maybe even some moving targets on top of a remote control toy truck???

maybe load up 200 rounds and shoot them all that way???
Posted By: battue Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 02/24/09
Congrats. The way it should workout. I'm thinking when a 7mm-08 pops up, I'll be hoping for the same boring results.
Posted By: Skunk Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 02/25/09
Now that's the kind of "boring" rifle that I'd like. Congrats BobinNH on that fine shooter.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 02/25/09
Originally Posted by SKane
Robert-

Everything you HAVE shoots like that. Thinking it has something to do with the feller standing behind the rifle as well.....<grin>

Skane: HA! Thanks but the only thing I can take credit for is having been around long enough to recognize the "clunkers",and get rid of them! THAT's why all the one's I have shoot well; I sift through them and keep the good one's!

john w is right and agree 100%; our club does not allow gongs;but weather,snow depth,work and other responsibilities have kept me from shooting as much as I like; also my time at the bench has been limited as well,so I have pretty much been shooting "leftovers",but will take the 80 rounds of federal brass and load them up. I do most of my offhand,tight sling, and sitting practice at 200 yards;field prone and tight sling at 300 and 400; the rifle will get these drills and have to pass"muster" before it will go on a hunt. I have spent the first 100 rounds getting acquainted...... smile

Skunk and others; it seems I'm not the only one happy with results from these rifles,as results seem uniform.Just want to share results for those who may be contemplating a purchase...the rifle caught me a bit off guard....wanted to report honestly what the rifle is doing.
Posted By: SKane Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 02/25/09
Originally Posted by ruraldoc
Not to hijack the thread but......

Skane,

I enjoyed meeting your dad and spending a morning with him,I told him it would be a little like going on vacation and doing 'The Dolphin Experience',except it would be 'The Redneck Experince'.

He is a fine gentleman,I have never seen a man practice safer gun handling,I told him to come back again,maybe you can too. Rednecks need the PR. grin

He got some pretty cool pix,maybe you can post them for him when he gets home.

Now..... back to FN and their new trigger,it feels very good out of the box,mine is about 3.5 lbs and is a pleasure.

Brit-
My dad had a great time and said you were quite hospitable and a true gentleman. Thanks for taking the time - wonderful gesture on your part. I'm sure he'll post a couple picts of the pig hunt. (or I'll put them up) I loved the pict of the dogs in kevlar vests!!! It's my hope they don't convey their safety secrets to the deer.

He (Whelen Nut) is definitely a man of safety as it pertains to gun handling - actually, a lot of us have to be that way when we hunt whilst having a "hot chamber".... laugh

Bob-
You likely no longer have a need for the 7mmDakota, right?!!!!
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 02/25/09
Originally Posted by BobinNH
[quote=SKane] recognize the "clunkers",and get rid of them!

That is what I have been doing for the past several years. My criteria is five shots under 2" @ 200 yards on more than one outing.
If they can't do that with a hunting scope and trying several bullets, they are either sold or rebarreled.
Posted By: atkinsonhunting Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 02/25/09
Now, now, Bob, there ain't noth'en wrong with a good WOOD stocked 270, my wooden'un shoots just like yours and has for many years!! smile smile smile
Posted By: 47stalker Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 02/25/09
Pic's please
Ray: laugh I know...I love wood,and my wood stocked rifles now outnumber the synthetics. Course ther's wood and then there is WOOD!

Some of my aversion to wood is the factory stuff;not cured well,moves around,etc.But a good piece is almost like granite,and about as stable. Nothing makes me happier than a well behaved wood stock rifle.

340: Weather permitting I will take some photo's of the M70 and ask help in posting them up. I really like this rifle!
[quote=ruraldoc]

Bob-
You likely no longer have a need for the 7mmDakota, right?!!!!

Scott: The Dakota is my "whackadoo" rifle; not "needed" but fills some bizarre fantasy about the "perfect" 7mm Magnum. Everyone needs a rifle like that....... cool
Posted By: SKane Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 02/26/09
Bob, you are indeed correct - everyone DOES need one. I want YOURS!
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 02/26/09
Bob, you are indeed correct - everyone DOES need one. I want YOURS!

......geez Scott,it's barely broken in....tell ya what: You can have first dibs! Deal?

I was thinking of putting the 2.5-10X Kahles on it.. Whaddaya think?
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 02/26/09
the one truism that seems to pop out of everywhere is that a man cannot own too many .270's!
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 02/26/09
Damg Bob - just when I decided I was going on the wagon, had all the rifles I'd ever want or need...
cra;..........I understand smile
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 02/26/09
Yeah, just went over today to visit and pay for my last new rifle (I left it at the shop because the custom shop leupie is not expected until mid April.) Now I'm thinking that everybody needs a .270 and the only one I own is on (probably)permanent loan to someone who deserves it more than I do, and wouldn't a good shooting model 70 in .270 with a fixed 4X (the retro-all-around rifle) be a neat thing to have...
cra: What, no 270's! grin It sure would be good to have! And it may be "retro"but it works,and is mostly what I hunt with.... grin

I just got back from the range where I gave the new M70 a maiden run at 300 yards (first time I've been to 300 for awhile due to snow)and a 5 shot group with handloads went into +-3.5 inches...sorta strung vertical with little horizontal disbursion but that could be me, because the group was fired field prone,which is to say, me flopped prone like I'd shoot over a log,and no rear bag.

I got a couple of pics of the rifle and group on the digital,too!

I'm encouraged so far........ smile
Posted By: elkrazy Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 02/26/09
I have been waiting to find an older (90's) classic model 70 featherweight in 270. Haven't found one yet that I am happy with the price. It seems to be the prefered model 70 by some. As I hear reports of the new FN Model 70 I am tempted to jump and buy one of them instead. Comparing those two options (classic model 70 from 90s or FN Model 70), any thoughts or experience someone would like to share?
Posted By: 47stalker Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 02/26/09
I think the best deal with the older M70's was the foolproof Pre-64 trigger system. The new one is meant to be good but what is good on paper/out of the box might not be so in the field under extremes, especially after YEARS of constant use. Plus the older ones had NH on them grin
Posted By: TomM Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 02/27/09
Ive owned pre-64's, NH Classics, and a SC Classic. The Classics are not pre-64's. Of the classic's I'd grab a SC and not look back. This is based on a limited sampling (3 NH, and 1 SC). My SC classic shoots like Bob's. Pick a bullet, load it up, and it shoots. No wondering or searching for that perfect load.
Posted By: SKane Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 02/27/09
That's a deal Robert!
I could like the Kahles on top too. Just make 12.5" from the ocular rear to the back of the pad so I don't have to mess with moving the scope around. *grin*
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 02/27/09
cra: What, no 270's! grin It sure would be good to have! And it may be "retro"but it works,and is mostly what I hunt with.... grin

I'm not knocking retro, Bob, I'm a guy who's just as likely to be carrying my .303 Savage as anything. If I'm feeling the need for a long-range flat-shooter I'm as likely to pull a 6.5X55 out of the safe as I am the .25-06AI. If you don't knock it off I'm going to (somehow) make room in the safe for a .270. What's the wood look like on the Super Grades??
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 02/27/09
elk: I have owned a pile of Classics(too many to count),and maybe more pre 64's.Every M70 in my safe is a pre 64,except this FN 270 FW.ALL the Classics are gone and good riddance; they were "projects in a box",as I have said before. Neither the Classic or the FN is a pre64,because rifles were just made differently back then.

The Classics can be a good rifle,but vary a great deal in accuracy quality, and functional reliability.The extractors should be changed out if you got a MIM;the barrels in many are in the receivers crooked;unless a later model with double pins, the safeties could fall out,WSM's would throw out cartridges before it was their turn in cycling.Sometimes accuracy was great sometimes not. Accuracy ranged from great to completely indifferent.

If someone good went over them,tuned them ,etc, they could be good rifles. They are not close to being a pre 64 M70.But they had the original trigger,so could be made into something nice. I would NEVER trust a large caliber Classic OOTB as a dangerous game rifle.

Yes, the trigger is sort of an issue for me and I prefer the old style;but the new FN's are more push button, better quality overall than any Classic,and since I have many pre 64's(or enough to keep me happy)I am not gonna lie awake nights worried about the trigger.Besides the only way to test the trigger is to get one and SHOOT it,hunt it and find out.If I think triggers will be an issue, I'll just grab a pre 64;and at least I know the bolt handle will stay on....

The big difference IMHO is that the QC seems better on the FN;everyone I pick up feels the same in bolt movement,trigger,safety etc.The fit and finish of the metal, the safety,and trigger,all feel the same. Judging from what I am seeing here,accuracy is uniformly better,and the barrels don't throw crazy fliers.More shooting is in order.

If the FN did not suit me,I would spend hard-earned money on a pre 64 before I spent the trumped up prices they get for Classics these days. Can't say I would not buy another Classic, but I'd plan on spending some more money to make it right...
cra: I have only seen FW's so can't comment on the SG wood....my wood is pretty plane jane,but I really don't care because it shoots so well....there is beauty in that smile
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 02/27/09
Its good news to read that the M70's have returned and that yours shoots so well. All along I have had a battery of pre 64 M70's to draw from. However I have tried a few Classics and still use one in 7mm WSM.

The SC made M70 Featherweight that I examined has that forend that has too much 'style' for me with its curved checkering pattern. I prefer something more traditional.

[Linked Image]

The safety on that new M70 was not easy to articulate and clicked too much on let off. It was good to see that the famous and to me, excellent, 'Featherweight' barrel design is back. Ruger should look at that.

Savage: Yes the safeties are "stiff" but with little play, or slop;nice and tight! I like them because I can SEE the firing pin cammed back,not always true on the Classics...any way I figure they will work in veddy nicely.

When thrown "off" in a hurry, they really "snap"...I like that grin

I am not a real schnabel fan myself; I wish Lenard Brownell were still around for the stock......but the FW is not a bad looking rifle;it handles and balances well.
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 02/27/09
Bob,

I like to be able to control the safety on and off with my thumb and I mean just working it back and forth as I want to with no noise.

I tried one of my old 70's. Its a sn 39x,xxx I bought new in 1957 and the safety works quiet however it digs into the thumb after a while. Its a good one. The other old 70 that I just tried is a FW 308 that I have hunted a good bit in the woods up north sn 26x,xxx. I was disapointed to find that safety a bit noisey but not too bad.

A couple of Kimbers were tried now also and they are easier than the 70's to work and are quiet. The only R77 that I have is an 'Express' safe queen. While that safety is quiet its not easy for me to start it off with a single motion of my thumb. I was disapointed to find this on that Ruger.
Posted By: 47stalker Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 02/27/09
Has anyone seen the 338's yet?
Posted By: TomM Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 02/28/09
Havent seen any .338's yet, but here is a pic of a 270 Fwt for those who havent seen them yet.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 47stalker Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 02/28/09
Very nice!

How come the cross-bolt isn't visible in the last pic?
Thanks. Not sure why there isnt any black goup on the left side. If I recall my NH fwt was the same, but I could be mistaken.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 02/28/09
Tom: Nice,huh? wink

I like mine.Wood is not as nice as yours;mine is kinda plane frown

It will look better once it's mudded and blooded wink
I hear ya Bob, cant wait till the Bears come out. Have some 150 partitions loaded up that need testing smile
Originally Posted by TomM
Thanks. Not sure why there isnt any black goup on the left side. If I recall my NH fwt was the same, but I could be mistaken.

Yes you're right. I just checked out some pic's of my old NH M70, same deal.
I hope the 338WM comes standard with two cross-bolts. Looking forward to owning one :P
Posted By: bearstalker Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 02/28/09
The Winchester website ain't showing any of their rifles being chambered for the 338 win. mag.
bearstalker: I have the 09 catalog;the Extreme Weather,the FW(!)and the Sporter all show as being chambered for the 338.
Posted By: Thumper358 Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 02/28/09
I have 2 pre-64 stnd grade 270's, 2 NH Classic ftwts (280,308), and 1 NH Classic sporter (270). All of them shoot very well. The Classics are not pre-64's, but they are heavy compared to the featherweights, and the featherweights are not real "lightweights". I have not fired the FN, but I have handled one, and it was a very nice rifle..The wood was better than any of my rifles for sure. It just might be the best M70 post 64..Thanks,Bob, for planting the seeds for a new FN!..like I really need one..
Thumper:Well,notwithstanding the trigger issue...it may very well be as nicely made as anything since 1964......as to planting the seed......well, all I did was say how well mine shot....BTW I shot it again at 300 yards this afternoon.... whistle whistle

Think I'm gonna order a FW 7Rem Mag tomorrow morning.
Posted By: 47stalker Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 03/01/09
bearstalker: I have the 09 catalog;the Extreme Weather,the FW(!)and the Sporter all show as being chambered for the 338.

That's it it's in the 09 catalog.
338WM in EW or FW should be neat. I prefer the 24" tube myself, don't see the need for 26" but I've never had a 26" 338. Am I missing something?
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 03/01/09
Originally Posted by 340Wby

I prefer the 24" tube myself, don't see the need for 26" but I've never had a 26" 338. Am I missing something?

Nope;24"works fine in 338.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 03/01/09
Sounds really great! Do they make it in any good calibers? smile
Posted By: vital_kill Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 03/01/09
if the EW came in 7mm-08, my tax money is going to be put in good use!
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Sounds really great! Do they make it in any good calibers? smile

Pat: Nope...not yet grin
Posted By: Texas99 Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 03/01/09
I shot a standard rifle in .30-06 yesterday at the Texas Outdoor Writer's Conference - a "demo" gun set up for multiple shooters. In a wind gusting to 33 mph, I got a three shot group of just over an inch from a good rest. Most importantly, my wife, who had never fired a rifle larger than my .300 Savage, shot 3 of just at an inch. She stepped back and said, "That's a nice rifle". Have her pretty much convinced now we need a FW .270. The wood on the standard rifle was still darker than I like, though. By the way, the Winchester account reps there know nothing of a JOC commemorative in the works, for whatever that is worth.
Texas99: Great! Not bad at all under those conditions and with a strange rifle;ready to hunt!

I have noticed over the years that the FW contour in 30/06 can at times,be a bit more finicky than the same contour in 270.But once you hit a good combo of bullet and load,they CAN be scary accurate...mine pre 64 is,and all indications seem to be these new rifles want to shoot.
Posted By: Texas99 Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 03/01/09
My standard model pre-64 (1952) n .30-06 on my first range trip with 130 gr Federal Fusions fired a 3 shot group of 1/2", if measured center-to-center, 3/4" from the outsides. I'm afraid to even tighten the action screws on it. The new rifle felt very similar. The rep said stories of poor accuracy out early came from prototype rifles lent to writers for photos, that they were not supposed to use for shooting tests, but did anyway.

By the way, I thoroughly enjoy your posts, have learned a lot about these fine rifles from them. Also getting ready - when the wind dies - to range test some factory Federal .300 Win Mag ammo with the 130 Barnes in my pre-64 Model 70 .300.
Posted By: djp Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 03/02/09
I've only seen the new Featherweights up here, and few and far between at that. The last one I looked at was a WSM and I was disappointed to see that they did not use the Featherweight barrel contour for it...regular sporter taper. I think the 270 Win I saw had the featherweight taper...much better I think. Regardless, I think first impression is favorable.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 03/02/09
Texas99: Thanks! Glad I 've been helpful. The Fusion ammo has proven accurate and consistent for me in the three cartridges for which I've tried it.
Posted By: Texas99 Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 03/02/09
Fusions work very well in my 1909 Argentine Mauser .270, also, and I had a hard time finding something it really liked, probably barrel issues on a gun I sort of inherited and have no details about. Very anxious to get my hands on a new Featherweight in .270, though. Very anxious.
Posted By: AFP Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 03/02/09
I have now had three pre 64s and five Classics. I currently have two pre 64's and four Classics. I am fairly new to M-70s, but here is what I have seen so far.

The pre 64s were put together correctly from the factory and after adjusting the trigger, they seem shoot well in unaltered form. Also, thay have MUCHO cool factor.

The Classic advantage is superior gas control, no barrel bump to contend with, better bolt handle/scope clearance, and you can get them in a good quality stainless. The disadvanage is care in assembly. The factory didn't seem to make any effort to true them up before they leave the factory.

Both SS Clasics in 300 Winny I've had were 2-4" rifles out of the box. This was with factory ammo. If ANY rifle I have won't shoot under two inches after trying two or three types of factory ammo I won't keep it, so I always check before trying to work up loads. I adjusted the trigger on both rifles.

One was still a 3-4" rifle when bedded in a McMillan--I got rid of that one. The one I kept barely made the grade, shooting a 1.75" group with cheap Rem ammo. I almost got rid of this one too but ultimately decided to give it a chance. I sent it to my smith, who trued it up as well as set back and rechambered the barrel. The receiver face needed .003" cut to true it up (that is a LOT) and only one lug was making contact. No wonder it didn't shoot!

Anyway, it shot a 1/2" group with that same Rem ammo after being trued. I am now bedding the barreled action in a Bansner. I have talked to other guys who, upon having their Classic trued and rechambered, have a very accurate rifle.

My 375 HH SS Classic was also a 2" gun, bedded a McMillan stock, and that was with handloads. I had my smith remove the 375 barrel and install a new takeoff 416 Rem barrel. He didn't true up the bolt face or lap the lugs on this one, but he did have to touch the chamber. This rifle has shot under .3" with Rem factory ammo.

I have two more Classics, a 30-06 and a 338--in the que to be trued up/rechambered. I'm not even going to try with them until they are trued.

The pre War I just sold showed promise out of the box but I think it needed a bedding job as it would shoot two close then one flyer. When I let the barrel cool after two shots those two and a flyer were under 3/4."

The pre 64 Featherweight I have really impressed me. Other than a recoil pad and adjusted trigger it is bone stock. It shot under a 1/2" with one kind of factory ammo, and just over an inch with another.

My last (so far) pre 64 is a 53 model and I haven't shot it. It is not a collector rifle so I'll make it into something.

I have looked at the FN Classics. I don't like the trigger, but they do seem to be assembled with care--I hope that continues. My issue with the FNs is around here, I can get a shooter pre 64 for about the same price as a new FN, and if I am going to get wood and blue the pre 64 wins. When FNs stainless lightweights come out, they may actually catch me eye.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 03/02/09
Blaine: That puts it all together...good post! I generally cannot find pre 64's for the same money charged for the FN's;maybe,but not often...

The FN trigger is a "test" in progress I guess....
Posted By: ruraldoc Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 03/02/09
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Quick hijack...

What does your Kimber like to shoot?

Only tried one load in my Kimber 257 Roberts,Federal Premium 120 grain Partitions. It puts them in little clusters of .75moa or better. They chronyed a little over 2900fps.
Posted By: Redhunter Re: Boring FN Model 70 - 03/03/09
Good thing you dont have a stainless steel version on that gun.
© 24hourcampfire