Home
Posted By: Murphy Value of new (old) rifle? - 03/04/09

I found this nice old FN Browning this morning just wondered what you folks think of them and what it's worth? Many thanks.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=124209565
Posted By: wiktor Re: Value of new (old) rifle? - 03/04/09
Beautiful rifles. You'd have to worry about salt wood with a 66 though.I figure nice ones when original are worth $900-$1000 in standard calibers with long extractors.
Posted By: Slim1 Re: Value of new (old) rifle? - 03/04/09
Probably better than any thing that you can buy new except a custom. I would be careful of the salt problem. I have a Sako FN deluxe in 30 06 that is my go to rifle. Perfectly inletted shoots two holes touching third about 3/4 of an inch away down and right. It is not as nice as the one you are looking at but those old FN actions will just work. As far as price goes I don't know and cannot speculate with any integrity.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Value of new (old) rifle? - 03/04/09
i wouldn't send my money until the seller removed the barreled action from the stock and sent some pics. otherwise, i'd say it was a good price.
Posted By: blargon Re: Value of new (old) rifle? - 03/04/09
Round here that would fetch $1000-$1200 easy, minus the salt wood...(Canadian Tire currency grin)
Posted By: rifle Re: Value of new (old) rifle? - 03/04/09
I believe a bit early for Salt...1966??
Posted By: Murphy Re: Value of new (old) rifle? - 03/05/09
That's what I'm thinking and I think, even though salt wood started in 1966, it was first for shotgun stocks. I could be wrong. I've never seen salt wood on a gun that old, the oldest safari rifle I've seen salt is a 1968 model. Even at that I think for the price I can afford to restock and clean it up and still have a good deal. I think they are good rifles. Thanks for the comments I'll let you know how it checks out.
© 24hourcampfire