Home
Does anyone have a montana in 280 ack imp? I'm thinking of selling a rifle I don't use anymore and getting the montana.

Have you had any problems with the gun or any reloading problems like their chamber not matching your dies or anything else?

How does it feed?
Kodiakisland,

Kimber has not built any 280 ackley improved rifles yet due to the fact that proof ammo is not available yet.

Headache
That sucks. Wish they wouldn't catalog it if they're not making it.
Or just make it in 280, that's what I really want.

Cut them some slack.

They publish the new catalog at the beginning of the year. Makes sense right?

You probably should be blaming Nosler.

Originally Posted by WhelenAway

Cut them some slack.

They publish the new catalog at the beginning of the year. Makes sense right?

You probably should be blaming Nosler.

Wasn't really blaming anyone. I think Kimber would be glad I wanted one. It would suck for them if they made (or cataloged) something no one wanted.

Probably have to settle for one in 30-06. I guess things could be worse.
Headache, can't you just use the nosler factory loaded stuff?
Posted By: battue Re: Kimber Montana 280 ACK IMP - 03/26/09
I've been waiting for a .223 for 2months. Dealer said it will be at least 3months according to what the distributors are telling her.
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland

Take another look at the rifle and its specifications. The long action 8400 chambered in the standard 30-06 length rounds are built on magnum actions. The rifles are an inch longer than the 8400's chambered for the WSM's and a half pound heavier!

Consider an 8400 Montana in 300 WSM as its only 6.3 lbs.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/8400/8400_montana_wsm/

I am a fan of the Kimber rifles and have them in the 84M and 8400 WSM.
Originally Posted by Savage_99

Take another look at the rifle and its specifications. The long action 8400 chambered in the standard 30-06 length rounds are built on magnum actions. The rifles are an inch longer than the 8400's chambered for the WSM's and a half pound heavier!

Good advice.

I've had two of the LA 8400 Montanas. They are nice rifles, but don't take full advantage of the Montana's concept.
Yes that is a good idea. Another one is to consider a Montana in 270WSM. I have loaded a 160gr. Partition with 60gr. H4831SC and get 2825 fps with wonderful accuracy. Plus the WSM Montana package is a more efficient use of kevlar and steel!
Posted By: Shag Re: Kimber Montana 280 ACK IMP - 03/27/09
Montana in a 7wsm!! Oh man what a gun. If my 300wsm wasn't so damn accurate I'd sell or trade for a 7wsm. What can't it do that a 280AI would and in a lighter short action.
Originally Posted by OldCenterChurch
Originally Posted by Savage_99

Good advice.

I've had two of the LA 8400 Montanas. They are nice rifles, but don't take full advantage of the Montana's concept.

Yep,Yep!!
Or you could get the real 7mm-06, that being the 270Win. Anything wrong with that?
Its too 308/30-06/Vanilla...

And the gun magazines (Comic Books) call them "Old"

Now the 280 Imp is new and cool and has Sex Appeal, and we all know that Sex Appeal makes animals deader...
That sucks. Wish they wouldn't catalog it if they're not making it.

You talking about Kimbers or the new Model 70's? grin
handwerk,

Service ammo does not test the strength of the system. Most manufacturers proof test their product to insure the integrity of the material and system with proof ammo which is about 30% higher in pressure.

Headache
Headache,so now I know, I wasn't sure what "proof testing" exactly meant... thank you for spending some time with us, I appreciate your efforts and keep up the good work at kimber. We're lucky to have you onboard! (pun intended!)
Any chance the montana wil be made in 280 if they are unable to get the Ackley proof loads?

I really want a 280 but was willing to settle for the Ackley.

What I wish for is the 7mm WSM being put back into the Kimber lineup! As pointed out previously the 'long' actioned 8400's are a half a pound heavier and an inch longer than the 8400's chambered for the short action WSM's!

I would much rather have a Kimber Montana in 7mm WSM than a 280 Rem. or the AI version.

Say it again.
Posted By: LuJon Re: Kimber Montana 280 ACK IMP - 11/30/11
Rather than start a new thread I figured I would use the old one that is here.

Well I have had mine for about 16 hours and the Marriage is off to a rocky start... First off what a good looking rifle! The stock gaps are all even it seems really well put together. Topped her off with a Swaro Z3 3-9x36 and she is even prettier. The rifle actually came in at 5lbs 9.3 oz so even a bit lighter than spec!
‎[Linked Image]

I drooled all over it until I slipped the safety to the middle position and snapped 4 rounds into the mag. They went in and popped into place with a firm "snack!" just like a higher end rifle should. Then I chambered a round.... It hung up on the bottom of the action which seems to form the mag "lips". I got that cleared up and the first round out. Second round was tough to feed but not quite as bad as the first. 3rd and 4th rounds fed smoothly.

I ran one round in 3 times as the top round in a full mag. Here is a picture of it.
[Linked Image]

The ammo is brand new factory Nosler 280 AI. Pushing down on the magazine follower and running the flat of my fingernail on the the feed lips the metal is sharp enough to leave fingernail shavings. It is clearly cutting into the brass and causing the hangup. The first 2 rounds are always rough feeding and lock up about 75% of the time so that I have to pull the bolt back and bump them to get them to pop out of the magazine and line up to be chambered.

I am sure it can be fixed but a rifle that has an MSRP of $1300 shouldn't need fixing out of the box.
Posted By: SU35 Re: Kimber Montana 280 ACK IMP - 11/30/11
I am sure it can be fixed but a rifle that has an MSRP of $1300 shouldn't need fixing out of the box.

This is not a good sign and I can only hope the one I have on order does not have any problems.

This is what you get for playing Kimber Roulette.
Originally Posted by SU35

This is not a good sign and I can only hope the one I have on order does not have any problems.

This is what you get for playing Kimber Roulette.

Exactly why I am passing on buying a Kimber!
Talked to Kimber and it looks like she is headed back to Yonkers for a tuneup. I only know of 2 of these Kimber 280AI's in the state (Alaska). The other is owned by a friend of a friend. I hope to hear from him on how his feeds soon.
What do you suppose..polish the magazine lips up a bit?
They said that they are going to check out and verify then fix the Mag lips. They are also going to make sure that the feed ramp is properly angled. I honestly think it will feed perfectly if the mag lips weren't so sharp. Tempting to drop the action and hit it with some emery paper.. If it weren't for that line in the warranty about not covering non factory work/repairs I would already be in it!
Posted By: blargon Re: Kimber Montana 280 ACK IMP - 11/30/11
I'd just run some 400 grit paper over the feedrails and forget about sending it back.

I've had to do the same to a couple rem 700's.

If you do send it back, you might want to run some rounds through the barrel first, to make sure it doesn't need anything else.
If I needed the rifle any time soon the game would change but right now I have 9 months till sheep season and only predator hunting and maybe a winter moose trip in the forecast. I have a gun safe loaded with plenty of other rifles suited just fine for that stuff. If it was a week before sheep season I would be whistling a different tune!
All my new Kimbers have the same sharp edge that scratches the brass. A few passes with some steel wool or sandpaper, plus running several hundred rounds through the rifle, takes care of it. I figure they must have good machining equipment to cut the edges so precisely.
PS LuJon, did you shoot it yet?
Posted By: TopCat Re: Kimber Montana 280 ACK IMP - 11/30/11
My GF could fix that up for you in 5 minutes with her nail file.

TC
Posted By: SU35 Re: Kimber Montana 280 ACK IMP - 11/30/11
All my new Kimbers have the same sharp edge that scratches the brass. A few passes with some steel wool or sandpaper, plus running several hundred rounds through the rifle, takes care of it. I figure they must have good machining equipment to cut the edges so precisely

Your kidding, right? For a rifle that list at that much?
I hope mine is not that way.
What a joke, except its not funny.
Posted By: LuJon Re: Kimber Montana 280 ACK IMP - 12/01/11
Originally Posted by TopCat
My GF could fix that up for you in 5 minutes with her nail file.

TC

Alright the double dog dare got to me.... A little 320 with a light touch and it is consistently feeding with no gouging and only moderate scuffing of the brass. I expect that it will only improve with time and use.
Posted By: LuJon Re: Kimber Montana 280 ACK IMP - 12/01/11
All my new Kimbers have the same sharp edge that scratches the brass. A few passes with some steel wool or sandpaper, plus running several hundred rounds through the rifle, takes care of it. I figure they must have good machining equipment to cut the edges so precisely

I do agree with you on this! My new Tikka T3, Browning A-Bolt, and Ruger MKII all purchased in the last couple years cost considerably less and have had 0 issues right out of the box. Oh well, weather is set to warm up here for a few days so I should be able to get this bad boy to the range pretty soon.
Posted By: SU35 Re: Kimber Montana 280 ACK IMP - 12/01/11
Good luck with it!!

I figure they must have good machining equipment to cut the edges so precisely

This guy really is a Kool-Aid drinker.
I sure would like an 84L Montana in 270.

Any of you gun traders get bored with one let me know!
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
All my new Kimbers have the same sharp edge that scratches the brass. A few passes with some steel wool or sandpaper, plus running several hundred rounds through the rifle, takes care of it. I figure they must have good machining equipment to cut the edges so precisely.

That may be the case............if so their QC sucks!
Originally Posted by blargon
I'd just run some 400 grit paper over the feedrails and forget about sending it back.

If you do send it back, you might want to run some rounds through the barrel first, to make sure it doesn't need anything else.

Thats way too easy of a fix Brad, you should post about the problem online and bitch about it for a few days, then send the gun back to the shop so THEY can hit it with 400 grit and mail it back to you. All the while you continue to bitch about it online instead of being out in the field shooting.
Posted By: DJTex Re: Kimber Montana 280 ACK IMP - 12/01/11
Originally Posted by SamOlson

You should just get first dibs on Brad's!

Grin...

DJ
Posted By: Shag Re: Kimber Montana 280 ACK IMP - 12/01/11
Originally Posted by blargon

Excellent advice! And the truth.. I also have had 700's do the same.. Infact I've owned two 700's that were buy far the least accurate rifle's I've ever owned..

Both kimbers I've owned were shooter's and my 308 Montana is easily the most accurate rifle I've ever owned....
Originally Posted by Headache
Kodiakisland,

Kimber has not built any 280 ackley improved rifles yet due to the fact that proof ammo is not available yet.

Headache

I've had one for ages, it's says 7mm SAUM on the barrel but it is ballistically the same thing. NO BELT and available NOW. Also 'cause it's a Remmington, it'll actually shoot and feed.
Originally Posted by DJTex
Originally Posted by SamOlson

You should just get first dibs on Brad's!

Grin...

DJ

DJ, you know I PM'd Brad shortly after he bought it.

He swears he's gonna keep it but we know better....grin

Bigwhoop has one also, need to send him a PM!
Sam
I got my 25=06 monday. Talleys will be here next week. Hope I don't regret not getting the 270 but never had a 25-06 and my 270 A-7 works really well. 6 shot this fall, 3 deer 2 yotes and a p-dog. Am looking forward to wringing out the new Montana.

SU,

I happen to shoot my rifles. Couple hundred rounds doesn't take long...
Originally Posted by Kimber7man

SU,

I happen to shoot my rifles. Couple hundred rounds doesn't take long...

2 afternoon range outings for me to be exact. Well ok, 3 max. :P
Originally Posted by boatammo
Sam
I got my 25=06 monday. Talleys will be here next week. Hope I don't regret not getting the 270 but never had a 25-06 and my 270 A-7 works really well. 6 shot this fall, 3 deer 2 yotes and a p-dog. Am looking forward to wringing out the new Montana.

When you load it up with 100 TTSX's and start hammer f**king stuff with it, you'll stop using your other guns laugh
Posted By: Shag Re: Kimber Montana 280 ACK IMP - 12/01/11
I look at it like this.. Every single factory rifle made can have flaws.. Go ahead don't by a Kimber. Get a different brand and take an emery cloth to the feed rails(ramp). Then when your done Save your money and order a McMillan. Wait 4-6 months for the stock. Or just go by a Kimber. They aren't custom built rifles.. They are factory rifles.

Damn good one's with a really nice stock.. smile
Originally Posted by boatammo
Sam

Brad, you broke that one in quick...grin

A 25-06 sounds good!
My first Montana 84L will be a 280 ackley because I love 7mm. My second 84L will be a 25-06 because I dont have one. I hunted exclusively this fall with the Montana 300wsm;it quickly became my favorite rifle. Just have to find a couple of the buggers on the shelf.....
Originally Posted by Shag
I look at it like this.. Every single factory rifle made can have flaws.. Go ahead don't by a Kimber. Get a different brand and take an emery cloth to the feed rails(ramp). Then when your done Save your money and order a McMillan. Wait 4-6 months for the stock. Or just go by a Kimber. They aren't custom built rifles.. They are factory rifles.

Damn good one's with a really nice stock.. smile

Well said! Couldn't agree more!
© 24hourcampfire