Home
How is the Kimber Montana different from the NULA, in action dimensions, that don't allow it to be chambered in 284 Winchester or one of its wildcats? I know the NULA's magbox allows for a 3.00" OAL, but is that it?
I was gonna ask that Q last night, thx for asking.

I've had a thing for a Lil Sky in 284 from day one...

Dober
One of Kimber's engineers posted here a while back saying it didn't have enough beef in the action (if I recall correctly). I'll try and find the post...
I believe he went by the username "Headache"...
One of our fellow members, Headache, has maintained that the Kimber was not built to handle the .284 Winchester or its kin. No disrespect to him, but I am a little skeptical and wonder if that's simply a "legal thang."

Just now seeing what was posted above about Headache. grin
Here ya go...

Originally Posted by Headache
dronofrio,

Make sure that the barrel and receiver diameter are large enough to take the pressure with the larger chamber. Look at the barrel thread diameter. You should be conserned about 'Hoop Strength' in these areas.

As an example, the Winchester Short Action M/70 would be fine and has been chambered in that caliber, but the little Kimber 84M has a scaled down action designed around the 308 cartridge with a small diameter barrel with small barrel threads. Opening it up to the 284 would leave a thin wall barrel in the chamber area.

Headache

From this thread... https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...&topic=0&Search=true#Post2330952
The NULA is also a scaled-down action that is frequently chambered for the .284 Win. and I'm just wondering if the NULA has a thicker wall.
Originally Posted by OldCenterChurch
The NULA is also a scaled-down action that is frequently chambered for the .284 Win. and I'm just wondering if the NULA has a thicker wall.

The NULA does indeed have a thicker wall than the Kimber 84M. At one time I had the difference scribbled down, but that piece of paper is lost somewhere... probably with my reading glasses (grin).

In the link Clark98 posted above, poster "Headache" is your go-to guy. He doesn't recommend the 84M for a 284 conversion... he would know.
Mac-you know me and mechanical stuff, but I just don't underforstand why it'd be so different that it'd be safe with the 7/08 or 308 and yet not with the 284 case?

I just shoot em....grin

Thx
Dober
"It's all fun and games until your rifle blows up in your face!"... grin...
I bet that Montana .284 would kick butt all over that .270Win.!
I just wish they would make the Kimbers in a lefty version....(sigh)
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Mac-you know me and mechanical stuff, but I just don't underforstand why it'd be so different that it'd be safe with the 7/08 or 308 and yet not with the 284 case?

I just shoot em....grin

Thx
Dober

I suspect that this might have an impact:

7mm-08 @ shoulder 0.4540 @ base 0.4703

284 @ shoulder 0.4748 @ base 0.5000

That extra +0.0208 at the shoulder, and +0.0297, the 284 winny carries at the shoulder and base may be the tip off. If the barrel on a kimber 84 is small enough at the chamber end, that the difference between the two may not leave enough of a safe margin in terms of chamber wall thickness.

If the NULA barrel is bigger on the chamber end, that could make the critical difference.

Bob

Thx

Dober
Punch the 7mm08 Ackley.......
Originally Posted by Steelhead

That'd be my recommendation as well if a guy wanted more than the 7-08 in the 84M.

OTOH, I can't fathom the point of more than 7-08 in that little rifle.
Agreed... I still have yet to meet a Whitetail, Mulie, or Elk with a formal education in External Ballistics.

I've never been a big fan of Ackley calibers in CRF actions, for the same reason Dober don't like the WSMs.

Now since its a Kimber thread, I feel obligated to ask why they didn't stretch the 84 to make their LA rifles??? Then Brad could've said that if the 7-08 wasn't enough gun, you could buy an 84MLA in 280, but sadly Kimber missed the friggin boat on that one.
Kimber missed the boat with their LA's...

Too bad, imagine a properly-scaled LA Montana in, say, 338-.06...

I'm just a little frustrated that I have to seat the bullets so deep in my Montana 257 Roberts. Not a big deal, but the loaded rounds look a little weird. If I only had another 1/10th of an inch to play with.

250 Savage might be cool in the Montana.
How about a Dakota..............

You need to stop going the long way around the barn.
How about a Dakota..............

You need to stop going the long way around the barn.

I deserve that.

Would like to play with somethin' fun in this Montana.

Advice?
Not sure what exactly you are looking to accomplish.
Originally Posted by Brad

That'd be my recommendation as well if a guy wanted more than the 7-08 in the 84M.

OTOH, I can't fathom the point of more than 7-08 in that little rifle.

There really not need be a point about it, other than you will get some additional speed, if not quite a bit ... as well as brass that never has to be trimmed ...

I just had my LVSF 7mm-08 torn apart and had a Rock Creek bbl put on, chambered in 7mm-08AI ... it feeds perfectly, and I'm getting a hair over 3300 fps with the 120 TSX and Vmax ... VERY HARD to not like that ...

to boot, the recoil feels the same as I recall it when it was a SAAMI 7mm-08rem ...

but yah, I can't argue your point about it not being necessary ... close to 3100 fps with the SAAMI chambering, or up to about 3300 with the Ackley ... either way, you're good to go ...
Not sure what exactly you are looking to accomplish.

I mentioned the 284 case with the 25-284 in mind. I want to seat these 80gr TTSXs out and run them fast.
Throw it in a SUCKS and be done with it, or turn your Kimber into a 250AI (assuming the aforementioned 284 case issue is an issue)
.473" s/a Montuckys have a magbox shorter than a s/a Remmie.

I'd have zero qualm going 284Win on the Montucky,save the backwards step in COAL latitude.

I've also wondered why the 284 case would be safe in the (N)ULA but not the Montana. I have both in the house and have measured them in the past. They're extremely close in diameter.

Mag length in mine wouldn't be any more of an issue than in a SA 700. My 700 ADL and 84Ms have equal length mag boxes (2.81"), though the 700's is easier to extend.
I've never seen an 84M even reach 2.800".

If you really wanted to go different, you could try 25 Souper AI, that might get you close to 25-284.
Originally Posted by DanAdair
Now since its a Kimber thread, I feel obligated to ask why they didn't stretch the 84 to make their LA rifles??? Then Brad could've said that if the 7-08 wasn't enough gun, you could buy an 84MLA in 280, but sadly Kimber missed the friggin boat on that one.

no kidding...I've always wondered why Sako didn't stretch the L579/AII to handle an '06 case.......a no brainer IMHO.....instead they put the '06 cases in the bigger L61R/AIII/IV/V action.....strange...sure they save manufacturing costs but with the lightweight rifle being all the rage these days it would make sense now...guess it wasn't big deal in the 60's....
Originally Posted by TryMe

I'm loading 100gr BTs and 80gr TTSXs bullets in my 257 Roberts Montana to 2.80" with a smidge left in the magbox.
Steelhead's 250AI recommendation is interesting for sure. 257 Roberts velocities (possibly more) with the ability to seat bullets out and still have lots of wiggle room in the magbox. Fireforming doesn't excite me, but might be worth it in this case (no pun).
Originally Posted by OldCenterChurch
Originally Posted by TryMe

I'm loading 100gr BTs and 80gr TTSXs bullets in my 257 Roberts Montana to 2.80" with a smidge left in the magbox.

I'm going to venture a guess that the smidge is ~ 1/100"...
I can get 100 NBT's at 2.810" to fit in my 84M Bob magbox. Of course, distance to lands is another .1" or so...
I shoot a Montana in 7/08 and a 6/284 in a (long) action 700. The 6/284 is in a long action because the parent case barely fits into a shorter action, preventing long bullet seating with even a .243 bullet. Given my experience with loading the Kimber, I'm wondering if there is enough room in the box to handle the 284 and allow for anything less than maximum seating.
Ain't no trick to 'fireforming', work up loads whilst doing it.

Here's a hint, bullet/powder combo that does well in a fireforming load, will typically do the same with a few grains more powder added.

I run my fireforming loads to the gills anyways, they shoot well, and I have killed game with them. The beauty of the Ackley, you don't have to shoot formed cases in it for to work just fine.
Had a stray cat help me form a piece of 22-250AI brass Saturday.
For conversation's sake (from gunsamerica):

Kimber/RW Hart 84M Custom Predator Master in 6mm x 284 (std neck). All work by RW Hart & Sons, 24-5/8 inch custom snakeskin stainless barrel 1:8 twist with straight taper to 0.700 inch at muzzle. Fit & chamber, bead blast bbl, skim bed stock, full figure grade A American claro walnut. Includes Talley 8x40 bases and ships in hard case. Scope & rings not included. Sighted-in and hunted once. Killed one whitetail at 125 yds with one shot.
Originally Posted by Huntr
I just wish they would make the Kimbers in a lefty version....(sigh)

You too?!! Oh yea. I wouldn't have gone the Rifles Inc. route but then it's in 284. Sounds like the Kimber and the 284 are a "should-not-go", not a "can't-be-done."
© 24hourcampfire