Home
Well, boredom has set in. Wind is keepin the turkeys quiet. So, I was talking to a guy the other day and the subject turned to cartridges we didnt like for what ever reason. I know we can't be the only 2 guys in existance.

I'll start it and more than likely be shot here, but here goes. I can't stand the 270 Win. I've had half a dozen or so over the years and killed some game. Just seemed like they run a little farther, bullets didn't open, blah, blah, blah. Couldn't give me another one.

Go ahead.

Joseph
7 Mag. I don't know why but it just never did anything for me. I've had a .280 Mtn rifle and 3 7-08's so it's not a 7mm thing either.
i couldnt own a 270 either
Caliber or cartridge.
.308 Win, .243 and 30-06. All perfectly fine rounds, but none hold any interest for me.
I'm 49 years old, pay my taxes and don't have to own any round that don't interest me.
By the way, thread title says Calibers you won't own, which denotes bullet diameter, and the text you posted reflects on a cartridge. I answered in kind.
243 Win
338 Federal
303 Britshit..
How did I know....
I don't think there are any I wouldn't own.

The 7mag has never impressed me much, on paper of course, as I have not had one. I like .284 chamberings in general, I have a raft of them between rifles and "hand rifles". I could even want the bastid stepchild of the WSM family. Anything with larger capacity seems kind of wasteful, no offense to the STW/Dakota/RUM fans.
.264 WM
325 WSM
30-06 just don't like it. Love my 270 but ain't impressed with the ole 06.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
How did I know....

Easy one grin.The 303 is such a hurtin cartridge I can't believe it's still being used.Waste of good brass.
25 and 27 calibers.

The 270 Win is a cartridge not a caliber.
O.k 311 dia then.
Cartridges I will not own:
30-30
All of the winchester/remington short fats
RUM/STW/Weatherby Mags
.264 WM
All RCM

I like some .30 calibers, but not the 30-06 cartridge....no reason other than I just don't like it.
Sorry, we're talking calibers.

I will not own any 6.5/.260 or anything bigger than .338
Originally Posted by vital_kill
Cartridges I will not own:
30-30
All of the winchester/remington short fats
RUM/STW/Weatherby Mags
.264 WM
All RCM

I can agree with the 30/30 but the rest?????
Any caliber in a factory WSSM case.
He's gotta be old school Tom.
Very old school.... grin
Hey what about my Supersquat???
Trying to word it to not include wildcats. Still not sure on it unless I was living in Idaho like you.
.277 and the 6.8mm smile
Trying to word it to not include wildcats. Still not sure on it unless I was living in Idaho like you.
I know............and its Indiana.
.14 caliber. I won't own any of the 14's.
You don't like the 270 Win Randy?
That's what I said, Iowa.......

All the 'I' states are the same to me.
Gotcha grin
.20 cals
I have owned a 7mm mag and never again, not what all the hype is about it at all. Another would be the 308....most boring cartridge
Just not a fan of the 270win or the 270wsm. I like the 7mm to tell the the truth. And yes I do own a 270wsm.... The 280Rem is the best of the 06 case rounds....
Why no more 7 mag.Curious?
I understand what you be saying STA.
6mm or anything over 338

Mike, I am glad someone understands me....lol....
Your aces Tims the wild man..grin
I will never own any 270.
any caliber based on the 308, any short or super short mag.
I like most of them. I can due without anything under .224 or over .375. Kind of like my taste in women, I don't like them too skinny or too fat.

RH
I didnt like the performance of it...lots of bark and for what?
Nothing under 22 in calibers, cartridges- 308 win based cases. A 260 rem. is the only one I may consider.
The pure varminting calibers don't do much for me, since I don't hunt 'em.

The RUM's seem a little absurd to me in general.

I just hate the 30-06 i know its a great round just not to my taste. I need something odd and hard to load for. it gives you a labor of love for the round.
I don't like long actions, or short mags. If I needed more than 358 cal, I'd go to 45-70.
I think 17M2, any 22 rimfire (not the magnum tho), the 204 Ruger, and most any 25, 30, 35, and 45 cals are all fine. Those between sizes seem odd and unneeded.
That said, I just traded a 300 Savage 99 for a 270 Ruger #1, so what do I know.
Hmmmm....

This is my opinion.

I like them all.

Why?

Well, I own a couple 204's, couple 223's, several 223 AI's, 220 Swift, 22/6mm AI, 6.5x55, 6.5x55 AI, 270, 7mm Rem Mag, 7.5x55, 30-06, 8mm Mauser, 300 Win Mag, & 338 RUM.

I have owned a 17 Rem as well.

The 204's are a lot of fun. Fast, retain more speed than 223's shooting the same weight of bullet, and make the P.D.'s flop. 223's are good as well....the 223 AI's are just that much better. Really like running a 55 gr bullet near 3600 fps with cheap bullets it really tears up P.D.'s and paper alike.

The 22/6mm AI is phenomenal at distance. Because this rifle was assembled at the end of last year, I have only begun to stretch this "half mile 22" out. 400 yard shots on P.D.'s provides 20 feet of air and 20 feet of distance with 75 gr AMax's.

I picked up the 220 Swift with the intentions of rebarrelling the receiver and nice stock into something else. By chance, it was a complete package - scope, brass, 2 sets of dies, and almost 500 55 gr bullets. So, I had to try it. All of the past stories were - love it or hate it. Was either a barrel burner or the best thing since sliced bread. Range trip yesterday provided that this particular caliber and rifle REALLY likes H4831. Will give it a go on P.D.'s this spring.

6.5x55 - if you have never shot or owned an M96/M96B, go find one. Very accurate round. I wish I bought a truckload of the original Swedish ammo when it was a $1.25 per 20 round box.

The 6.5x55 AI is the poor man's long range caliber. Successfully harvested a nice large doe in the late season hunt with 140 gr bullets. Will be using a different bullet this fall. Easily exceeds loading book velocities of the 6.5x284 and the AI neck should help throat erosion when compared to the 6.5x284. Lapua brass is plentiful and Redding dies are available off the shelf. Did I mention - NO recoil.

270 - I honestly HATED this round. Have shot over 20 different rifles in this caliber and EVERY one of them pounded me. (I am not a small guy either) Between the recoil and beating, I just hated it. Until, you guessed it, a very reasonable Rem 700 ADL arrived at the doorstep of my wallet (read that CHEAP!). I figured to try it one more time. After cleaning the closet dust off of this rifle, working up a load for it, installing a nice recoil pad, I found this rifle/caliber is quite accurate and, now, a pleasure to shoot. If anything is lacking, maybe a better selection of bullets.

7mm Rem Mag - never owned one until 4 months ago. Bought a Savage BVSS with the intention of rebarrelling. Made the mistake of shooting it. Recoil is less than the 270 with handloads and provided excellent accuracy. Sold the rifle, could not break this one up because it shot THAT good. I have another in the works. If there is a downfall of this caliber, it would be selection of .284 bullet variety. The weights are there, but not a lot of variety of flavors. Believe the Berger VLD's would be sublime in this caliber...about 145/165/175 grain.

7.5x55 - have shot the surplus ammo and handloads in the K31 (cannot load them too hot for the Swiss action), but this caliber/rifle is very accurate. Nothing like necking up 284 Win brass and having fun with steel plates at 300 yards with open sites.

30-06 - I lucked into purchasing an old 721 Remington off of this site. This one happens to be from the second year of production. After changing the stock to a modern 700 BDL, this rifle is VERY accurate. The twist rate in this barrel favors 168/175/178 grain bullets. Would not hesitate on a 5-600 yard shot with this rifle. The original stock, due to the drop comb, just pounds your shoulder because of the angle. The new style stock with the R3 recoil pad solved the sledgehammer.

8mm Mauser - again, if you don't own a K98, you have not lived. Again, wish I would have bought pallets of milsurp ammo. My particular K98 is somewhat of a family heirloom now. Handed down to me by my stepdad's dad, after he passed. Previous to him owning this rifle, somebody added a sporter stock and drilled the side of the receiver for a side mount scope. The scope is a 2.5 power Weaver. Not much optics, but it gets the job done. Believe this is somewhat of an overlooked round as well. Bullet selection for hunting is less than favorable as well...at least to let it stretch it's legs a bit.

300 Win Mag - yes, these can definitely kick as well. The Savage 112BTSS-S that I own is nice to shoot. Favors 180-208 gr bullets. Factory rifle delivers less than MOA on out to 1000 yards with ease...even in the wind.

338 RUM - I don't own this caliber, but built one for my shooting buddy. I thought...ugh...300 gr SMK, how could THAT be fun. Well, the muzzle brake is your friend. His description of the 300 gr SMK (sailing out the barrel at 2940 fps) is...."it is like they have a propeller on the back of them" - it is true. I have never seen a bullet ANCHOR a large deer at 900-1200 yards like this bullet.

About the only caliber that I have owned that I don't like, is the 17 Rem. Brass is expensive, bullet selection is the worst I have seen, and the wind kills this round in a hurry.

Of the rounds I don't particularly care for - 308. Most of the above calibers will far surpass this round in knock down power and deliver similar or better accuracy, especially at distance.

Of the ever growing collection of reloading manuals that I own, believe just about any caliber can be enjoyed, just need to find the right platform (that does not kick your shoulder), and some handloads that are tuned for your particular rifle AND you. The reloading manuals are quite informative, if nothing else, just looking at the pictures and the introductory information provided in the older reloading manuals.
There's quite a few that I have no interest in owning but only a few that honestly dont care for.
30-06, 325wsm, 338Fed, and any handgun cartridge in a rifle.
Never liked the sub-calibres much, the .17's, seems like they'd just be too finicky to load, hard to clean, special rods, prone to wind drift, fouling...
Ultramags... and Weatherbys.

I got no use for them. Nor do I have any love for them.
Poor Dumb Douche Adair.

338Ultra.

[Linked Image]

I guess I should dig out the 378Wby collage.(grin)

I have no use for anything under .243 since I don't hunt varmints. The .22 calibers with the exception of the .22LR could all disappear for all I care.
I also have no use for .30 caliber rounds. They are a compromise caliber if I ever saw one. If I could only have ONE rifle then a .30 cal might do but since I can have multiple rifles I'll choose calibers that are more ideally suited to the intended quarry.
The .35s do nothing for me either. Lousy game bullet selection compared to the .33s and boring cartridges.
I've been trying for a week to come up an answer to this...I can't. So, I'll have to take the post count and move on...rifle
The only caliber smaller than a .25 that I have any use for are the .22's.
Original post edited. Verbagage has been corrected.

Joseph
Lots of folks here dislike the .270. You're loss. That is one round I couldn't live without.

I have no desire to own a 7mm mag. I also don't like any WSM, WSSM, RUM, RSAUM, RCM or anything else newer like those. They just don't interest me.
After messing with many calibers and cartridges,I have no real use for anything anymore other than 270 Winchesters,7mm cartridges,(with a couple of 30/06's thrown in for good measure,but not really used much)and 375H&H(or Ruger,same thing).

If I were more of an accomplished "long range shooter",I could get into the distinct advantages of the 6.5's,the magnum 30's,and the large capacity 338's(which I think are among the best for very long range shooting of heavy game,or any game for that matter).But I can practice regularly at no greater than 600 yards,so what a cartridge does at 650-1000 yards is a moot point to me.

But I'm more interested in what I can accomplish within and under 500 yards with manageable recoil and rifle weight,and I know the 270 and 7 RM perform nicely at those distances if I do my part.

I'm not afraid of 30/06 or 375H&H length actions so the short magnums and the 308-length stuff leaves me breathless (with the sole exception of the 7/08 which I consider uncommonly good).The big 30's are fabulous but if recoil is to be kept at bay, the rifles are too heavy to lug around.

If I want a heavy bullet for moderate distances I would just reach for a 375;and with the availability of great, well-constructed lighter weight 375 bullets,things like the 338WM seem superfluous.I would have no use at all for a 338 Federal,the 308, the 243, or the 260.

The WSM's are good cartridges but I had all 8-10 of mine before the mechanical bugs of the rifles themselves were worked out,and came to dislike the rifles,more so than the cartridges.But they really offered nothing over the lightweight 7 mags and 300's I'd been building since the early 80's. I could get into a lather over a 7mmWSM,if I knew the rifle behaved itself mechanically.

This is anecdotal, but a friend came up from Long Island and showed me a couple of 235 gr 375 BarnesX bullets recovered from game.One was perfectly expanded,picture book,and smashed both shoulders of a big Eland at over 300 yards.The Eland died on the spot.The other bullet was from a kudu shot through heavy brush at 70 yards;it blew its' pedal and the base portion expanded.Both bullets did a good job.

He also had pics of a pile of Wildebeest,Zebra,Oryx,and smaller stuff killed quite dead with a 270 Winchester and 130 TSX.Some of it was killed by his 10 year old son.

I'm not suggesting that everyone shoot a 270 Winchester because that would be pretty boring,and bad for the gun business. But sometimes I wonder what all the fuss is about....
Never owned or had any desire to own any short mag, ultra-mag, etc.
Regardless of caliber, I consider anything with a belt to be absolutely useless. As such, I cannot see myself ever owning a rifle so chambered.
270 win

i have never owned a 270 but have really liked every one I have ever shot. I would probably never own any sub .22 cal, as my varmint hunting can be handled by .22lr, or 257 roberts. One wolf last winter fell quickly to it.
Randy
I have owned one .204, and will not own another.
30 TC
Doc
The older I get, and the more experienced I become, the more I am content to just stay with the older well established cartridges. There is really nothing much that can be done with any of the newer shortmags, and other upstarts that can't be done with a round invented before, (oh lets just say 1970). There is so much overlapping in calibers, anymore. The gun companies have done nothing much but cheaper their products for the last 40yrs, but boy do we have the calibers to choose from, but then again, as soon as sales fall a little bit, these companies are even faster to abandon a new cartridge, then they were to come out with it in the first place.

We don't need all of the new fangled rounds the compaines are comming out with, what they ought to do is get back to making a decent rifle, that doesn't look and operate like a cheap overpriced piece of crap. I am sick and tired of seeing cheap plastic stocks, and poor metal to wood fit, shortcuts regarding beding, etc, stupid safety crap and unreliable actions, that have to be sent back to the maker or a gunsmith to get right, so they will at least function most of the time.

RSAUMs, WSMs, RCMs or belted mags.

I do have to admit that after shooting a 300 RUM recently I could learn to love a 338 RUM or 338 EDGE, although in the past I've more or less sworn off all magnums.

I love the whole '06 family of cartridges, as well as the x57s.
Originally Posted by Lastmohecken
The older I get, and the more experienced I become, the more I am content to just stay with the older well established cartridges. There is really nothing much that can be done with any of the newer shortmags, and other upstarts that can't be done with a round invented before, (oh lets just say 1970). There is so much overlapping in calibers, anymore. The gun companies have done nothing much but cheaper their products for the last 40yrs, but boy do we have the calibers to choose from, but then again, as soon as sales fall a little bit, these companies are even faster to abandon a new cartridge, then they were to come out with it in the first place.

We don't need all of the new fangled rounds the compaines are comming out with, what they ought to do is get back to making a decent rifle, that doesn't look and operate like a cheap overpriced piece of crap. I am sick and tired of seeing cheap plastic stocks, and poor metal to wood fit, shortcuts regarding beding, etc, stupid safety crap and unreliable actions, that have to be sent back to the maker or a gunsmith to get right, so they will at least function most of the time.

Good post! grin
I won't own any WSSM's, Ultramags short and long, 30 TC, any rounds based off the 378 Weatherby case, 270 WSM, 7mm WSM, 6.5 Creedmoor, 243 Win and most likely will never own a 300 mag of any kind ever again. Most other calibers I would consider buying.
I don't agree that its a good post!

For instance the Kimber rifles and in particular the Kimber Montana's in both the 84M and 8400 WSM cartridges are significant improvements over what was available in factory rifles.

The Kimber 84M Montana weighs only 5.2 lbs and is in a modern stock. The rifle also has many desireable features such as a mauser type extractor, CRF, a M70 type safety etc.

Same benefits from the Kimber 8400 Montana in the WSM's with new cartridges that don't have to headspace on a belt along with light rifles in magnum cartridges.

I say that some of the new things are indeed interesting and to me an advantage.
Well...geez,Savage....I mean I wasn't thinking of ALL of them today grin

Some of the new rifles are pretty nice......but I see his point.Some of the new stuff is pretty bad!And,I mean, did we ever see a Winchester M71 or M12 that did not WORK?
WSSM, WSM..

I've got to agree with this one, what a waste.
Seems like some of these answers are fueled by emotion. Others more matter of fact. Interesting and funny.

We can damn sure get fired up over guns, reloading, etc. I'm in the club as well. Everyone has to belive in something.

Come on.

Joseph
WSM, WSSM, RUM, RSAUM, RCM, STW, STA, belted cases.

No sence behind - just guts (graveled).

Have a stronger opinion on cartridges I would not miss:

.45-70 Gov.
.30-06 Sprg.
9,3x64

Stronger opinion yet on bullets I would not want to miss:

TSX
I wouldn't rule out any I haven't owned yet. I said I would never own another short mag after being disappointed with the performance of a 6.5 Remington mag but, I have fallen in love with a 7mmWSM. There is one I won't own again. That is the 243 Winchester. It is the only cartridge that I have had fail to perform properly on a shot at a deer. The same 100gr bullet blew up on a couple of fallow deer, but they were recovered. It could have been fixed by changing bullets, but the experience with the whitetail soured me on it and I sold it. I know that a lot of people use it every year hunting deer with it, but to me it is marginal and I don't want another.
I've managed to avoid all magnums, except the .375 H&H. Shot a few, but not impressive, when you can do so much with less sturm und drang. Can't be convinced to buy a 6mm anything, either.
.224s are dandy, then I jump to .257. Can't see a use for the 6's. Finally, no use for a .308-based rounds. Nothing personal. Just...well...No thanks.
Will not own: .325, .243

Probably will not own: .204, .338, 7MM
.30-378 and other mega-magnum rounds...just don't see the real practical purpose.
I have no love for the .308.
I love them all. It's just that some of them seem boring... 308 Win., 30-06, etc. Not that they don't work, they all do if used in design parameters and you get the bullet in the right place. I realize that this makes no sense, but the question relates to personal preference.
Ones I have owned and won't own again would include:
220 Swift
243 Winchester
257 AI (257 Roberts is fine)
6.5-06
280 Remington
7mm Rem Mag
300 Weatherby
8mm Rem Mag
338-06 (both standard & AI)

Some that I haven't owned but don't interest me would include:
260 Rem, 7mm-08 Rem, 308 Win 338 Federal
WSMs and such (With the possible exception of the 338 RCM)
Any Ultras
264 Win Mag
Weatherbys (With exception of the 375 Weatherby)
308, 358 Norma

I realize there are some pretty popular rounds on my list but they have been relaced with some I prefer better. Not saying I'm right on all counts but it works for me!! laugh
Screw a 56-50 Spencer
I hate the 6mm-70 Rimmed
The .400 Podero pretty much sucks too.

The rest I can live with. wink

Terry
I won't say I'd never own a 7mm Remington Magnum. But the ballistics are not much better than a 270 or 280. That and when I started hunting, people I knew who we're "Legends in their own Minds'" carried 7mmRem Mags.
I still say intervals of 5 is plenty enough. 20 (rimfire and centerfire), 25, 30, 35. and a jump to 45 then 50 for muzzleloaders.
I personally like some of the 17 and 22 rimfires as well.

Just repeating myself, but there's so much chaff out there.
no interest in a 7mm-08, 7x57, anything about above a 338, or any WSM or SHAMUs, and none of the weatherby's except maybe the 257...
As far as caliber, I doubt I'd roll with an 8mm anything, other stuff I'm alright with, mostly.

As far as cartridge, I can't much like a 308 on a hunting rig. EBR, that's a different story. An FAL or M1A would be sweet. Also, can't say I'm much fond of the 30-06 either.

Hell, I really don't like .30 caliber all that much. Only ones I'd own are 30-30, 300 WSM, and 300 Roy. MAYBE 30-06 AI, though I doubt it. Nothing wrong with it, just not my cup of tea, I guess.
I see the 243 and 6mm is somewhat disliked. The 243AI just happens to be in my top 3 fav CF rifle cartridges. Also more peeps that dislike the 270 Win than I thought.

Joseph
30-06
I wouldn`t own any of the WSSMs. Finniky cartridges and very ugly looking.
Cant see owning anything larger than an '06. Really have no use for them.
Anything 7mm and just about anything in .30 caliber.
Anything that shoots well with factory ammo -- I reload!

(What that really means is I don't want a cartridge that doesn't NEED to be handloaded as a matter of course like my .280 Rem, .300 H&H, .375 Wby, 7x64 Brenneke and .416 Rigby. If I owned a 30/06, 7 mag, .270 Win, etc. there's probably a factory load I could live with. Of course the wife's Hill Country Rifle re-barreled .270 Wby was accurized to shoot Weatherby factory ammo but I fiddled with it so it shoots TSX's and Partitions.)
I would not want any WSSM either. They offer little upgrade over what already exists, plus they are rapidly on their way out the door.
WSSMs, .325WSM, .300RCM, .338Federal, .308ME, .30T/C, .20 caliber or smaller anything.......
Well... last year it was the 223 Rem... but now I have one.

Soooo, I say no, there is none I wouldn't own.
Originally Posted by okiebowhunter
Seems like some of these answers are fueled by emotion. Others more matter of fact. Interesting and funny.

We can damn sure get fired up over guns, reloading, etc. I'm in the club as well. Everyone has to belive in something.

Come on.

Joseph

seems like there's a fair bit of ignorance and inexperience involved as well.....

I used to say anything that had a "Wby" behind it but now own a 300 Wby and really enjoy it. Killed a buck with it last year. Ok, next on the list will be anything that has a WSM or WSSM behind it. That is, until I own one....

Originally Posted by VAnimrod
WSSMs, .325WSM, .300RCM, .338Federal, .308ME, .30T/C, .20 caliber or smaller anything.......

Dittos!

You can also add the .17 Remington, 375 Winchester, and anything bigger than the 338 Winchester to the above list.
For my hunts, I have no use for a .243 or .270.
Dittos on the Short-Fats too.
Anything, including the parent, made from a 30 Carbine case.

Wayne
Surprised by the number of times both WSMs and the trusty ol' 30.06 are mentioned...???

First one that jumped to mind is the 257 WSSM...'cause it should have been a WSM. Why bother when it's not one sniff better than a 25.06?

Only thing bigger than a 300 WM I'd ever be interested in is the 325 WSM. Anything I can't neatly kill with a 300 WM I don't want to hunt!

I personally don't understand the fascination with monster magnum 7mms, 30s and the like. How much is enough already!!!

FWIW.

smile

B29, finding the proper diameter bullet to reload is just to much of a hassle.............

Flyer
Either the 45 or 50-120's, simply because it takes a man's man to handle more than a round or two from those cartridges.
Originally Posted by sir_springer
First one that jumped to mind is the 257 WSSM...'cause it should have been a WSM. Why bother when it's not one sniff better than a 25.06?

Yes, it should have been a .257 WSM. I can't agree with this enough.

And I suppose I don't have a use for a .700 NE laugh
30-06, had one once that I gave away. 7mm Rem Mag & 243 Win are not likely to find a home in my safe.
I wouldn't own a 7 RM simply cuz EVERYONE around here seems to have one. Same reason why I bought a 280 and sold the 270. They are both great rounds but I like to be different. Other than those two I could like about anything other than the WSSM's.
Anything that won't kill a moose cleanly
anything that Jeff O would shoot
Anything bigger than a 30-06, and a 22 Eargasplittenloudenboomer.
.416 Weatherby. It can hurt BOTH shoulders when fired shocked
No WSM, WSSM, Weatherby, or Ultra mags.
I agree with Mr. Horse and ingwe.
.270 Winchester and 257 AI.

I can't really say anything in particular. As soon as I say I won't own XXX I'll find some gun done just like I want in that caliber and buy it anyway and get over it.
Nothing under .22 and nothing over .35

I just got no use for them. If I was given one I'd sell it and buy me something I would use.
No WSMs short or super short.
And NOTHING AIed... can't get the thought of AI-ing cattle out of my mind... blush
Besides, I've even heard of 7x57AI...How do you improve upon perfection???? laugh
Ingwe
I have been trying to simplify but an having very little success because new chamberings keep following me home. I am getting more recoil-sensitive in my old age but still seem to have a weakness for greater than 30 caliber rifles that I don't need and will rarely actually use on most of the game I am likely to hunt. I keep reminding myself not to confuse needs with wants but doubt I really want anything bigger than my .458WM. A 50 BMG, however, would be fun.
Any cartridge developed since I was born (1941)
Anything that has the #'s 338 in it.
Well, I agree with Okiebowhunter. I just can't get fired up over the .270. I've never owned one but I must admit it's a great cartridge as history has shown us, but I chose a .280 instead and also a 7x57. I'm also starting to have thoughts about a 6.5-06 on the other side of the .270. I can't see myself ever owning one but sometimes find myself recommending it to those who don't handload, but then again, I also recommend the .308 and the .30-06 as well. So there you go.

Thank you very much.
.270 Win, it bores me................547.
This thread just proves to me some of us live on a different planet..:)

Things I find strange is many folks are judging some calibers and its apparant to me that they have never used them on game, some have probably never shot or owned them.

I don't see how anyone could not like or respect the 30-30, I have shot too many elk and deer with it to not like it, but if someone made a poor shot I am sure it got the blame.

The other thing is all these calibers that some folks don't like such as the 270, 30-06, 280, 284, 308, 7x57, 7 mag, and a whole sack full of others, all shoot the same size groups all things equal, they all kill the same on game, one shoots as flat as another from a practical standpoint and I know this is heresy but you could even add a bunch of magnum calibers to the above list...:)

The only caliber I am not fond of is the .243, why? because it is a matter of record that it is the one caliber that has blow up more than any other caliber..Has to do with throat erosion and the use of either heavy or light bullets in a worn throat, can't recall which, and don't care because I am not going to own one..

The whole thread is based on worthless and biased opinnion, INCLUDING MY POSTS, and dependent on which camp your squatted in! smile smile :)and, in fact, has nothing intelligent nor factual to offer.:)
Nothing under .22 caliber of any sort. None of the 8mms or 338s. None of the WSSMs or RSAUMs. No 270s or 7mm RMs. None of the ultra mags. No handgun caliber over 45.
Originally Posted by atkinson
This thread just proves to me some of us live on a different planet..:)

The whole thread is based on worthless and biased opinnion, INCLUDING MY POSTS, and dependent on which camp your squatted in! smile smile :)and, in fact, has nothing intelligent nor factual to offer.:)

..............mission accomplished.

Joseph
Originally Posted by okiebowhunter

cartridges we didnt like
give me another one.

Joseph

actually a lot of recent developments to me are of little interest.....specifically:
RSAUMs
RCMs
RUMs

and a few military rounds as well:
6.5 Carcano
7.62 x 39
7.62 X 54R
6.5 Japanese
7.7 Japanese
7.65 mm R
7.65 Belgian
7.5 X 54 MAS
.30 M-1 carbine
.30-40 Krag
8 X 57 Mauser
.303 British
6.5 X 54 M-S
7.5 MM Swiss

Not that they are poor cartridges...just that they have no usefulness to me!

Gotta agree there. BMT
Never cared for the 7mm Rem. Mag, but won't say I wouldn't own ANY caliber!
Virgil B.
I have no use for the WSM, WSSM or any of the standard magnum cartridges like 7mm WM, 300 WM, 338 WM. Where I hunt in the Southeast, the only use I can see for these is as an ultra specialized bean field rifle or similar. They destroy way too much meat, are too long and heavy, have too much muzzle blast, have too much recoil, etc, etc. A 270 or 30-06 is all the power you will ever need for deer and hogs and shoots flatter than 99% of shooters can take advantage of.
For some reason or other I have never owned,or wanted to own, a .270!Great calibre but I have absolutely no interest in it.I've gone through 4 or 5 different 7 mms,and my new interests are .25s.I can't imagine that I would ever buy a .270! Monashee
7.5x55,7.62x54R and a 20mm....
For some reason, in over 50 years of hunting/shooting, I have never owned a 30-06/270. I don't care for any of the new offerings such as the wsm, wssm, rsaum's, the ruger cartridges, and several of the hornady offerings.
I just can't get excited about any of the above.
Guns chambered for the following cartridges have no interest to me. In no particular order:

1. Most of them. It would actually be easier to list the ones I AM interested in.

2. Any WSM, WSSM, SAUM.

3. Any rimmed bottleneck rifle cartridges.

4. Any Weatherby.

5. Anything-PPC.

6. Sub .224� centerfires.

7. Anything in .224� except the .22 Hornet/K-Hornet, .223 Remington and .22-250.

8. Anything in .243�.

9. .257�s except the Roberts and .25-06.

10. 6.5�s except the .260 Rem and the 6.5mm-06/AI.

11. Anything in .277� except the .270 Win.

12. 7mm�s except the 7mm-08, .280 Rem and 7mm RM.

13. .30�s except the .30-30, .308 Win, .30-06 and .300 Win Mag.

14. Anything between a .308� and .338�.

15. Anything in .338� except a .338 Federal, .338-06, .338 Win Mag, .338 RCM (jury is still out) and .338 RUM.

16. Anything between a .338� and a .375� except a .357 Mag carbine and a .35 Whelen.

17. Anything in .375 except the .375 Win and .375 Ruger.

18. Anything larger than a .375� except a .44 Mag carbine and a .45-70.

That list is big enough I�m sure there will be no shortage of people I�ve offended.
1. 7 mag
2. 7mm08
3. RUMs
4. SAUMs
5. 30TC
6. RCM
7. Weatherbys
8. 7 WSM
9. 8mm Mag
10.WSSMs
45-70
243 Win
6mm Rem.
Any 340.........(grin)
Hey!
grin

Any WSM! laugh
Just trying to get a rise out of you Sam.... wink
Ingwe
Just teasin' Tim!

Now those goofy WSSM's on the other hand...
Watch it buddy...(laughin')
Well, THAT worked! laugh
Gotta agree with you on the WSSMs....bad juju! wink
Ingwe
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Just teasin' Tim!

Now those goofy WSSM's on the other hand...

I hear that.
Too bad Winchester didn't do a 25 WSM instead of a WSSM.
Then they would have had somethin!
A 25 WSM could be dandy!
Yeah, you guys are onto something....at the shop,the gunsmiths have literally built more 25WSMs that we have sold 25WSSMs!
Ingwe
© 24hourcampfire