Home
Posted By: vital_kill Hornady SST - 04/30/09
Anyone have any experience with this bullet?
Posted By: Calvin Re: Hornady SST - 04/30/09
We had a pretty good thread going on these bullets. I'll see if I can dig it up for you..
SST Thread

Hope it helps..
Posted By: BMT Re: Hornady SST - 04/30/09
IIRC, the short version is: Good deer bullet for standard velocity cartridges.

BMT
Posted By: tzone Re: Hornady SST - 04/30/09
I haven't shot anything but paper with them, but they've shot well in everything I've tried.
Posted By: 340boy Re: Hornady SST - 04/30/09
I've not killed anything with the SST either, but I have shot a fair number of them(225grains) through my 340wby, and they shoot very well, fast too-right around 3100fps.
Not sure I want to shoot an elk with one, however, they have the reputation of being kind of 'soft.'
Posted By: handwerk Re: Hornady SST - 04/30/09
so if this bullet is better for light duty work why is hornady loading it in the RCM's?
Posted By: RJM Re: Hornady SST - 04/30/09
I use the 165 SST .30 in a Remington LTR .308. Wanted an accurate bullet that I could hunt with on those rare occasions that I may need a long range deer rifle. They are accurate to say the least. With 46.0 grains of Winchester 748 velocity runs 2730 fps and groups run in the .25-.4 area.

Has anyone tried the Hornady InterBond. Looks like a SST but the core is bonded to the jacket...

Bob
Posted By: 340boy Re: Hornady SST - 04/30/09
Originally Posted by handwerk
so if this bullet is better for light duty work why is hornady loading it in the RCM's?

Handwerk,
I didn't know that.
I was initially under the impression that the SST was just a boat tailed Interlok with a plastic tip- but the few people I have talked to that have used the SST on deer size game(one 30-06, one 300WM) were less than impressed with the performance.
Posted By: mathman Re: Hornady SST - 04/30/09

More than likely it's because the pointy tip looks sexy and will sell better. The BC and trajectory advantages can be touted as well, no matter how relevant to most realistic applications.
Most people just don't know any better. A buddy of mine got some 180gr (I think) factory ammo for his 300win in SST. He liked the "Super Shock" and the price appealed to him. He shot a dink Sitka Blacktail at 40 yards. Messy....
Posted By: handwerk Re: Hornady SST - 04/30/09
I have used the hornady interbond on whitetails and antelope with great results, it just seems to me that would be the bullet for hornady to load in the RCM's
Posted By: himmelrr Re: Hornady SST - 04/30/09
If the Interlock doesn't work skip the SST and go to the Interbond. I was 0 for 2 so I upgraded to the IB.

I've posted many times on my experience with the SST coming apart with mid-level 7mm-08 and 308 loads (139gr and 150gr respectively). Dead deer but not much of a blood trail. Look up what I wrote before...

RH
Posted By: Richdeerhunter Re: Hornady SST - 04/30/09
I've shot 2 deer with 165 SST out of a 30-06. One dropped right away, the other didn't. It required some trailing. I prefer a bullet with more penetration for deer. I've since gone to Nosler Accubonds. Every deer shot with Accubonds (3 so far) has been a bang-flop. I'd expect Hornady Interbonds to work just as well.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Hornady SST - 04/30/09
My brother killed several deer with factory loaded sst's for 6mm. That was before I was a "gun loonie" and all I know is he shot the deer and they died.
Posted By: 338rcm Re: Hornady SST - 04/30/09
I have shot elk with them. had great results
Posted By: SAKO75 Re: Hornady SST - 04/30/09
i have killed 1 deer wit ha 150 SST out of a 308 @ 50 yards. DIdnt exit but caused alot of damage and deer died after running 50 yards

I have shot 3-5 deer with 150 interbonds out of 308 win at varying ranges. I know of one that didnt exit but the deer only went 10 feet. the rest left quarter sized exits
Posted By: marlow2506 Re: Hornady SST - 05/01/09
Shot the 117sst in my 257 bob with great results this yr. Trying the 100gr. barnes this yr.4 yotes groundhogs&deer If it doesent work wont hes 2 go back very satisf. marty
Posted By: blairvt Re: Hornady SST - 05/01/09
shot many deer with 130 gr SST out of a 270, had excellent results. Didn't worry about bllod trail as deer didn't go anywhere. Very accurate bullet also.
Posted By: duckear Re: Hornady SST - 05/01/09
I have killed game from 40 yds to 380yd with the 139 at 2800 fps from my 7mm-08

YMMV

Good bullets IME
Posted By: Bulltail Re: Hornady SST - 05/01/09
This may not apply to most of you, but in my climate and high-humidity, I've noticed that the SSTs are more prone than others to discoloring from mild tarnishing.

Posted By: JGRaider Re: Hornady SST - 05/01/09
I've killed mulies and whitetails with the 139 gr Heavy Mag in 7mag with devastating results. That being said, I still would rather use, and have with the same results, the IB in the same load. Close shots with the SST (100 and under), have had some fragmenting, although very dead deer.
© 24hourcampfire