Home
Went to the local gun show yesterday and this little beauty followed me home. Didn't need another rifle, but have wanted one of these in this cal for quite a while. Price & condition was right enough, so what the heck. Very pleased. laugh

We had a young [14 yr old] shooter with us who was on the lookout for his first deer rifle. He saved $1000 from last fall till now in prep for this gun show. shocked I suggested this rifle to him giving him first crack at it, but he passed. Seems he likes the shiney tupperware and stainless rifles better. Too bad, as this would have been perfect for him. His loss, my gain.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TC1 Re: Gun show find - 05/03/09
Very nice! I bought one of those a few years back and found out real quick why some folks just love those Husky's wink . What a fine rifle. Enjoy it!

Terry
Posted By: Ron_T Re: Gun show find - 05/03/09
WOW! Some guys have ALL the luck !~!~! Fine rifle, great caliber...

Congrats... you did GOOD! smile
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Gun show find - 05/03/09
Nice! Saw a 30/06 lately; passed. I would not pass a 7x57....
Posted By: Odessa Re: Gun show find - 05/03/09
That old Husky oozes the same ambiance that a pre-64 Win and a Belgian Browning has. Love to know how it shoots when you get the opportunity.
Posted By: safariman Re: Gun show find - 05/03/09
Terrific grab! The new shooter has not yet developed a taste for good guns...... I hope he grows out of this facination with the soul less rifles. Can't be harsh though.... I went through the same stage in my 20's. I even had a muzzle brake installed once.... ICK! All of this about the same time I was wearing a mullet haircut.

Do let us know how this rifle shoots and performs. I hope you take it hunting. If interested in going vintage I can hook you up with Balvar mounts and 2.5-8 scope setup.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Gun show find - 05/03/09
Originally Posted by safariman
If interested in going vintage I can hook you up with Balvar mounts and 2.5-8 scope setup.

Thanks, but I happen to have here a B&L Balvar 1.5x6 that would be more appropriate than a new matte VXII.

Posted By: 338rcm Re: Gun show find - 05/03/09
nice grab! classy rifle
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: Gun show find - 05/03/09
That is one honey of a rifle!! grin What're ya doin'?? Making human scarifices to the gun gods to get one like that??? grin
Posted By: Mikem2 Re: Gun show find - 05/03/09
That is a sweet husky! Great find! Enlighten that youth hunter on the finer hunting rifles!
smile
Posted By: Leverpete Re: Gun show find - 05/03/09
A Model 1640 Special, an upgrade version. The 7x57 is very rare, and though I've seen hundreds of 6,5x55 and .30-06, not few 8x57IS and 9,3x62, and just a few .243W or .270W, I've never encountered a 7x57.

Pete
Posted By: Joe Re: Gun show find - 05/03/09
Ooooooh, I'm envious!! grin
Posted By: safariman Re: Gun show find - 05/03/09
Originally Posted by SuperCub
If interested in going vintage I can hook you up with Balvar mounts and 2.5-8 scope setup.

Thanks, but I happen to have here a B&L Balvar 1.5x6 that would be more appropriate than a new matte VXII.

The Balvar I was speaking of is a non adjustable gloss finish early scope. The one you have sounds like a great one as well. Do you have the adjustable mounts and rings you need for it?
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Gun show find - 05/03/09
Watch the front sight. Have had one fly off whilst shooting and two others come off with a bit to tapping putting in a new blade (talking Husqvarna here).

Posted By: SuperCub Re: Gun show find - 05/03/09
The Balvar I was speaking of is a non adjustable gloss finish early scope. The one you have sounds like a great one as well. Do you have the adjustable mounts and rings you need for it?

My Balvar is a much later adjustable 1" scope. No where near as old as this rifle, but a bit more suitable for the task than a new Leupold. One source puts the rifle made in 1955.

Thanks grin

Posted By: Jericho Re: Gun show find - 05/03/09
I saw a Husky in 243 a few months ago, but passed on it.
Very smooth lite weight rifle.
Posted By: Wildcatter264 Re: Gun show find - 05/04/09
Agree Bob. Traded my 30-06 Husqvarna many years ago for some long forgotten gun. Now that I'm a lot older and just a bit wiser a Husky 7x57 wouldn't take a second thought. Live and sometimes, learn. smile
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Gun show find - 05/04/09
Wildcatter: I am lately repressing this irrational urge for a 7x57........I can't offer a reason for needing one,but somehow the option seems appealing.Might have something to do with the box of 375 ammo I cranked through a M70 yesterday.. sick
Beautiful. A fine rifle. I understand they were made with 1-12, not 1-9 inch twist barrels. If it is, it will shoot all of the 160 gr. bullets which work for anything anyway. E
A buddy of mine bought a Husky in .243 back I think in the sixies. It was supposed to be for his wife but I'm not sure if she ever shot it. Haven't asked in a long time if he still has it. Should ask the next time I am talking to him. It might be worth having shipped from BC.
If you ever want to part with it, give me a call...
A buddy of mine just got a Husky 7x57 carbine with the mannlicher stock, in NRA excellent condition. It had an old Bushnell Banner 3X on it,and he was shooting it at the range yesterday. It is a very nice handling little rifle,and I was surprised at how well it shot with Remington 140 gr ammo.
I'd like to find a Leupold 3x for it or one of the older 4xs. The B&L I have here needs med rings to clear the rear sight.

Cub: I will keep my beady eyes peeled for you.....
Cub,
That is a beauty! It has just the right kind of honest wear to the finish that is awesome!! Congrat's.....
Originally Posted by SuperCub
I'd like to find a Leupold 3x for it or one of the older 4xs. The B&L I have here needs med rings to clear the rear sight.

Not sure if they sold, but there were two of them in the classifieds last week and were pretty reasonable.
Posted By: Wildcatter264 Re: Gun show find - 05/05/09
Felt the same for a long while. So, I have a Ruger 7x57 on the way. Ammo and dies ready, only the rifle is missing.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Gun show find - 05/05/09
wildcatter::mmmmm.....on the way.....interesting....let me know how that works out...is it an M77? or Mark II?
Posted By: slabsides Re: Gun show find - 05/05/09
Hmm, great find! I have a Husky M38, all original, that taught me to love the Swedes. My 7x57 is a tang safety Ruger with a Douglas barrel. What's not to love? But like others here have said: I'd make room for that one in a second!
Posted By: coyo Re: Gun show find - 05/05/09
great find as I just bought one of those at auction 2 weeks ago and if it would not have been chambered in 7X57 I would have let it pass I brought it home and checked the twist rate and it is a 1:12 twist,I loaded up a bunch of various bullet weights and went to the range and I was suprised at how well it groups the 150-160 class of bullets but when I tried the 175s they keyholed,Swell lil rifle and I like it so well that Ill be lookin for more husqvarna in the future........
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Gun show find - 05/05/09
Originally Posted by coyo
I was suprised at how well it groups the 150-160 class of bullets but when I tried the 175s they keyholed,Swell lil rifle and I like it so well that Ill be lookin for more husqvarna in the future........

Were the 175s you tried spire points? It has been reported to me that the 175gr RN will work in these rifles. They'd make a great moose load. I'd like to try them as well as the 154gr RN.
Posted By: Wildcatter264 Re: Gun show find - 05/06/09
M77 tang. Did Ruger make others? cool smile
Posted By: icedog Re: Gun show find - 05/06/09
I have what looks like a first cousin to that 7x57 in an '06. I'm no Husqvarna expert, but I've been told it's a model 640 with FN M98 "H" type action. Serial number says it was made in 1951. Though obviously not mint, I would describe it as "minty" - a bit of blue wear on the bolt knob, and a couple minor bumps on the furniture. Had to have it, but unfortunately it's become a safe queen in my hands, and has yet to see a hunting trip.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Gun show find - 05/06/09
wildcatter: Yup; had one many years ago.....also a M70 FW,push feed.My dream custom is a G33/40.....I have never quite gotten around to that one.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Gun show find - 05/06/09
wildcatter: Yup; had one many years ago.....also a M70 FW,push feed.My dream custom is a G33/40.....I have never quite gotten around to that one.
SuperCub,

I like your classic rifle. Can you tell us how much it weighs, the barrel length and perhaps the twist of its barrel? I like rifles like that with a lean forend.

[Linked Image]
Hello Supercub,No Sir as the 175 gr bullets I shot were Hornady Round nose I dont have any 154 RN but wish I had a hand full just to try em on for size and Ill bet they will shoot well from this rifle,this rifle so far seems to like anything 150-160 gr. anything lighter or heavier it just kind of turned its nose up at it...........
Originally Posted by Savage_99
SuperCub,

I like your classic rifle. Can you tell us how much it weighs, the barrel length and perhaps the twist of its barrel? I like rifles like that with a lean forend.

Bare rifle weighs 6 3/4lb w/sling. The factory barrel is 20 1/2" with 1:12 twist rate. I tried a 2x7 Leupold and a B&L Bavar 1.5x6 on it, but it requires higher rings to clear the rear sight. Given the lower comb style on this rifle, I think I'm going to look for a straight tube scope or perhaps one of the older Leupold 4x with the smaller obj. lense.

I haven't fired it yet, but it is one of the nicest handling bolt action rifles I've ever tried and light years before Remington's Mountain Rifle.
© 24hourcampfire