Home
G'day all,

just putting a general question out there to every one about what type of slings they use out in the field, and how they might utilise them (besides the obvious of "for slinging" your rifle).
So what is your favourite/prefered sling?
Leather, cotton, synthetic?
What shape or style? Cobra, straight edged, Whelen, Latigo?
Padded or not, with ammo loops or without?
How do you prefer to sling your rifle? Barrel up or down?
Over which shoulder compared to your prefered shooting hand (RH shooter over LH shoulder, RH shooter over RH shoulder, etc.)?
Whether you use you sling to help steady your shots, off-hand or otherwise?
Also, If any of you have pics of the various slings you use, I'd be very interested to see them posted on the forum here.
I've been trying to find out a bit of info on the whelen sling (recommended in a magazine article here in Oz), and I am still unsure of what one looks like, or how it operates differently from a regular adjustable sling.
Cheers for now,
Troy.
I currently prefer the Montana gunsling and carry over the left shoulder (right hand shooter). Muzzle up or muzzle down depends on terrain. I see no reason to add the additional weight of padding or the Cobra style.

http://www.montanagunslings.com/

For actual shooting I prefer a good GI style sling, but don't use them on hunting rifles because they play havoc with point-of-impact when used properly unless the barrel is free floated enough to throw a cat through the gap.

http://www.turnersling.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TS&Category_Code=HPCG

Last year I picked up a Ruger "ultralite" 30-06 with a boat paddle stock. I didn't like the way that my other slings were working with it, so I rigged up an extra accessory strap that I had in my pack. It's worked great - adjustable, very lite weight, extremely quiet and flexible.

I only sling my rifle when using my bins, which is quite a bit. I'm a right handed shooter and usually sling over my left arm.

I use the 48" strap. It's different, but it works great.

http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/p.../Store/MG/item/200065/N/4294967210%20641

Mike.
I generally use Cobra slings, carried over the left shoulder and I prefer muzzle down unless I'm hunting in steep, muddy terrain.
For my walnut stocked big game hunting rifles I prefer a leather sling with no hooks so as not to mar the wood. Such a sling is about .83" wide. I have a few of them and want more.

Here is a picture of one on the top rifle.

[Linked Image]

I used a Montana sling last season and like it a lot. Pretty basic, and easy to adjust. I've personally never liked the feel padded slings.
For my rifles I have a Safari Sling, otherwise just a generic padded nylon sling. I want to pick up one of those Butler Creek mountain slings though.
Uncle Mikes Mountain Sling
+1 on the Mountain Sling.
Brownell's Latigo sling or the Montana sling.
I like leather for slings. I have made Whelen slings and like them a lot, even if they don't adjust as quickly as the Latigo type. My standard carry is over my left shoulder with muzzle down as I'm right handed and I've found it is very quick to get into action. I have used Whelen slings to steady my shots in sitting position with, as has been pointed out, a rifle whose barrel was free floated.
Whelen slings are easy to make. I take a 60" piece of leather, run it through the front swivel, making a loop, and adjust it for proper fit on my upper arm in the sitting position. Then I fasten it with a leather thong but, Chicago screws would also work. The tail piece is ran through the rear swivel and excess is cut, then a hook is attached. From the piece which was cut, I make two 1/4" keepers, one at the front loop for chinching against your arm for shooting, the other for the rear to keep the rear loop tighter. I used hooks from worn out slings. Punch holes for the hook which can be as many or as few as you want. Usually I make a couple for a tight sling, a couple more for carry, and then a couple more to extend the sling so as to fit my rifle across my back. Maybe the pic will explain better:

[Linked Image]
I really like the Uncle Mike's Mountain sling, really simple and lightweight.
The Montana sling is my favorite production rifle sling. I have a sling from Levergun Leather Works and it is VERY nice� but that is a custom sling and is not what you are asking about.
I only have the one inch strap� and if I were to get another one I would get the 1 � inch strap� that the only diff.
I prefer a soft leather Cobra sling reversed with the three point CW style. Two attachment points using flush cups, at the usual locations and a third just in front of the front guard screw.
How I carry the rifle depends on what I'm doing and where.
For instance, if I walking, climbing and glassing as I go, on my feet, the rifle gets slung, muzzle up on my off, left side, so I have both hands free to use my binoculars. The sling is attached to the forward point and the mid point in case I need to use to shoot.
If I'm still hunting in heavy cover, then the sling is attached to the conventional points, and rifle is carried upside down, muxzzle down on my off side. This allows me to get on target faster than any muzzle up position.
I used a military sling for many years. I went over to the CW system because it is much faster. I can get into the loop as I drop into a sitting position w/o losing any time.
Having a sling to steady the rifle when I'm out of breath and he's on the run has been a priceless asset many times. I will not own a hunting rifle than can't use a shooting sling. Even my iron sighted, lever action .22 and my iron sighted .25-20 can take a military sling. I've made lots of tricky shots because I had one along even on these rifles. E
+i
I really like the CW sling.
Mountain Sling.
Yup.

[Linked Image]
As a carrying strap, I like the Vello-Vellini (or something like that, it's a wierd name). Stretchy and grippy on your shoulder.

As a shooting sling, I like what Dan has, above, but the one I used was from Brownell's. You can get amazingly rock-solid with those suckers.
I use one of the super sticky "claw" slings I got from Cabelas for carrying. I just recently started using the "claw" and really like them. I also carry my gun on my left shoulder (I am right handed), barrel up and with the gun on my chest rather than my back. My left hand rests on the floorplate and controls the gun during slips and falls and makes it easy to mount the rifle when in a hurry as I always have my hand on my rifle/shotgun. I believe this technique is called the forward carry.
For my rifles that have wood stocks, I like to use a generic leather sling, as I feel it adds to the "classy" look of the gun.

For the synthetic rifles, I like to use a black nylon sling.

Don't care too much about ammo loops, as I put a shellholder on the back of my rifles. I do like padding on my slings, however, because it ia more comfortable after carrying the rifle through the hills and brush all day.

I carry my rifles, muzzle up, on the same side as my shooting hand, makes unslinging the rifle for a quick shot much easier.

www.murraycustomleather.com
I always use the 1907 leather U.S. Military sling,,,, old school from my days on the High Power Team.
I too like the Whelen sling but I buy them from either Midway USA or directly from Hunter. The Brownells Latigo is another good one but much heavier and bulkier that the Whelen. I listened to JOC on slings and he preferred the Whelen also.

Thanks...Bill.
Brownell Latigo....are there others?
+1 on Brownell Latigo. Have two, I now use nothing else. Tip - buy the ones with the swivels included, this will save you time and aggravation.
Montana
Butler Creek Comfort Stretch sling. Very light and works like a dream. Just my 2 cents.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0022097224213a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=dominator+sling&Ntk=Product_liberal&sort=all&Go.y=5&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&_D%3Asort=+&Nty=1&hasJS=true&Go.x=24&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

The lightest, most versatile, easily adjusted sling you can get.
No sling is my favorite, YMMV
Levy Leather, cobra style...

http://www.levysleathers.com/browse;cat,163;Oil-Tan-Leather

Think these are made in Canada...so you know they're good! smile

I've recently went slingless and like it much better.
They are nice for long walks in open country.
Another Montana user. Sling off or adjusted to tight for hunting though. Try carrying muzzel down on the off shoulder as with the hand resting on the floorplate area it is already "in hand" if the need for a quick mount arrises.

Von Gruff.
Ditto.

I dont use a sling very often. And ussually it stays in my pack. But I picked up a leather/cheap azz fake horsehair sling a while back and it is by far my favorite one.
New member here - Bob in Melbourne Australia
Looking at shooting slings for a few of my rifles
Is this sling a simple tightened loop around upper arm or is it attached to rear sling stud?
Can Dan or another member please supply a link to purchase a sling similar to this?
[Linked Image]

Thanks Bob
Well Bob, its your lucky day....

http://www.turnersling.com/miva/mer...roduct_Code=NMSRS&Category_Code=NSRS

There's Turner and all the rest. The only other sling I like is the Brownells Latigo Sling. Its a little lighter (especially the one in 1") but not as easily adjustable.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1180/Product/QUICK_SET_LATIGO_reg__SLING

With practice, you'll be able to shoot prone with a sling just as good or better than you would prone off a bi-pod. Sitting with a sling is almost as good laugh
I have a 40 minute hike back to my honey hole (lots of terrain to deal with)and got really tired of slings that slip. I tried a "Claw" sling and was very impressed. Sticks to my shoulder like glue. Don't do much offhand shooting, mostly from a stand or sticks.
Dan, please tell me more about the Latigo sling. I've been toying with the idea because it looks simpler and lighter than a military sling. How much harder or slower is it to adjust than a military? I realize the military has holes that can be memorized and gone to quickly, where the Latigo might take some guessing, but is there another aspect I'm not seeing?
The last Latigo I had I donated to my favorite charity before hunting season (my broke ass brother)

Set-up is pretty easy, you pretty much adjust the Chicago Scerw just like you would a keeper on a 1903. I always set mine for sitting (position) as its the most likely one used and its right between the adjustment I usually use for prone and offhand on a 1903. I can live with a tighter adjustment for prone when hunting, its not like you're shooting 20 for record and 2 sighters laugh The trade off on the Latigo is its pretty much a "set it and forget it" affair. You're not going to adjust length for different positions in the field quickly.

Once its set-up, its used just like a 1903...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqUh4ed7xGg

I posted that one other time on how to use a sling on another thread. Thats a latigo (if you look when he opens the loop, you can see how you adjust loop length with the screw...)
Thanks Dan. So it's pretty much a Whelen with a Chicago screw rather than lacing, correct?

I wasn't sure if the slider buckle somehow adjusted the loop. It must be just for carry length then right?
Right... Which reminds me, as soon as you get one, tear the outside part of the roller out of the slider buckle unless you like to clank and clatter in the woods. I don't know what the hell Brownells was thinking there, but they've had it in there clear back to the late 60's (my brother has one of my great Grandfathers Brownells Latigos)

And as much as it pains me to say it, I've never handled a Whelan sling in person, and only seen lousy pictures of one.

I've been toying with the idea of building a real sling out of Nylon. Kind of like the Uncle Mikes mountain sling, but with a loop that adjusts somehow (did I mention it'd have to go under a half pound??)
I definitely think you should tackle that project then post lots of photos for us to copy! I've got the Mt. Sling for it's light weight, and a couple military slings to shoot with. I'd like to have an authentic Whelen just 'cause, but it sounds like the 1" Latigo is the way to fly. For $100 it's damn tempting to try to build one myself though!
If you have a gunsmith that owes you a favor, they're substantially less than 100 bucks. The last one I bought was 52 bucks (that was 3 years ago, and I think MSRP was 90 bucks back then)

The nylon one will feature the non-slip rubberized crap thats on the uncle mikes up on the top where its carried... Thats one thing I really like about the Mtn Sling. And probably some through the loop (cuff) too...
Thanks for the tip. I'll see what I can do for pricing.

I agree that the hypalon on the Mtn. Sling is great. Lightweight and sticks where you place it. The inside of the waist belt on my Barney's pack is made of the stuff.

Again, I really think you should build a sling then take lots of photos. smile
The safari sling is the only thing I will use. Other slings are a distant second. I don't know why safari slings are not standard. They reduce fatigue and leave both hands free for glassing. You can even use it as a convential sling.
Uncle Mikes Mountain Sling... been using them for sixteen years and can't find a reason to use anything else. Light (3.5 oz's), Inexpensive, Strong, Simple, Non-Slip, Non-Stretch, truly embodies the KISS principle.

Once I found this sling, which is only available so far at a local Bi-Mart store, I've switched every rifle to it.

[Linked Image]

It's light, doesn't slip, and can be wrapped up in very easily........It also goes for $15.00.

It has a rubber thread stitched into the nylon webbing and it's made by Boonie Packer. It's only 1" wide, so you can get into it and out of it very easily. Absolutely the best sling I've ever seen or used.

The swivels are sewn in, which didn't inspire me at first, but they have a way of locking onto the swivel stud that there's no way in hell they'll come loose under any circumstance. From an engineering standpoint, these guys did their homework on a grand scale.
Ching Sling. Very quick to loop up and perfect for African carry. The downside is adding the third swivel base just forward of the action.
I never met Eric, but I did a lot of business with Geoff Beneze back in the mid 90's. I tried out one of his slings...

Like you said, quick to loop up, but that 3rd stud can cause some issues. I never thought it was much better than the garden variety 1903 or Latigo sling.
I used flush mounts for all of mine and have had no issues of any sort.
All of the quick adjustable slings I've tried slip too much. While the military slings works very well, they are much slower and much heavier. The Ching/CW slings have a very large open loop that allows one to loop up as you drop into your shooting position. One of the best additions to a rifle I've ever found. E
For just carrying,the Canadian Levi 2" basket weave. The basket weave acts like a suspension,you don't feel the weight of even heavy rifles. Being made of good leather,mink oiling waterproofs it.
Mountain slings mostly but I have a comfort stretch sling for my M70. I don't use a sling when shooting. I normally take them off when on stand. I alternate shoulders depending on the situation. Sometimes I have the rifle slung with the muzzle down but never do that when moving. I haven't used leather slings for many years on my center fires. The only rifle I have a leather sling for is my M52 .22. It just doesn't look right with a synthetic sling. All of my swivels are Uncle Mikes brand that lock closed on the swivel stud. I'll not use a nonlocking swivel.
Originally Posted by RDFinn
+1 on the Mountain Sling.

+2
Originally Posted by Tom264
I've recently went slingless and like it much better.

That's what she said........ grin

Casey
Originally Posted by shedder
The safari sling is the only thing I will use. Other slings are a distant second. I don't know why safari slings are not standard. They reduce fatigue and leave both hands free for glassing. You can even use it as a convential sling.

Yep. Started using a Safari sling in the early 90's, and everything else quickly became a distant second too.......

I can keep track of my muzzle that's always in sight, control the muzzle with my finger, have both hands free to climb, much easier to work through the brush/thick timber, and get the rifle to my shoulder quicker when jump shooting elk in the spruce-fir jungles.

Casey
I only use Brownells Latigo slings now. I have a couple of "Cobra" slings but dont like them as well as the Latigo. If you ever use one you will be hooked.
does anyone have a cheap sling that can fit with 1" swivels
for sale?
i need something cheap nothing expensive for my sons first rifle
Brownell's Latigo sling
do you have one?
Little light weight Uncle Mikes MTN sling with stainless hardware, Blackhawk also makes one with SS swivels.............547.
Originally Posted by Stroker
I only use Brownells Latigo slings now...... If you ever use one you will be hooked.

+1
If you like a 1907 style but want a bit more durability and easier adjustments I have one called the Slip Cuff. Front end is made like a 1907 but has metal sliders instead of hooks. Easier and quicker to adjust. Made in USA
http://www.tacticalintervention.com/slipcuffslingmodeltwo.html
Montana Sling
+1.

Simple, light and quick. Tough to beat leather.
Heavy Duty nylon does not stretch or rot like leather does
I use a 1" leather military sling on all my rifles and an uncle mikes synthetic on my duck guns.
Have you tried a wider material? 1" will cut into shoulder fairly bad. 1.25" is easier to carry for long distances than 1" wide and 1.5" seems about perfect for carry of rifles very far.

Having carried heavy rifles long distances for decades I settled on the 1.45" wide nylon. Does not cut into shoulder or wrist when carrying or shooting slung up.
military latigo
Originally Posted by Brad
Uncle Mikes Mountain Sling... been using them for sixteen years and can't find a reason to use anything else. Light (3.5 oz's), Inexpensive, Strong, Simple, Non-Slip, Non-Stretch, truly embodies the KISS principle.

My favorite as well.
Another for the Montana Sling.

Von Gruff.
I use the 1907 leather mil spec sling made by Mr. Les Tam in Hawaii...I have 3 of them and they are the best I have ever seen.
[quote=MichiganScott]I currently prefer the Montana gunsling and carry over the left shoulder (right hand shooter). Muzzle up or muzzle down depends on terrain. I see no reason to add the additional weight of padding or the Cobra style.

http://www.montanagunslings.com/

I love this sling. LOVE. Offhand I wrap up tight so easy, so quick.
This is a very helpful thread.
© 24hourcampfire