Home
Posted By: TXDOGDOC Guns Safes??? - 05/27/09
Didn't know which topic to put this under so I thought I would try here. I am in the market for a safe - would like it to be able to hold up to 20 guns and fit throught a standard size closet door. So many to choose from and they can vary considerably on price - any suggestions on brands that you all have been happiest with??
Posted By: Whip Re: Guns Safes??? - 05/27/09
Cannon. It works for me just fine, though I can't say as to it's effectiveness as it's been tested by neither fire or thiefs (which is a good thing).
Posted By: duxndogs Re: Guns Safes??? - 05/27/09
My advice would be if you want to store 20 guns buy a safe rated to hold 30, they never seem to hold as many as advertised. I have a Cannon safe that is 36" x 60" x 24" and its rated at 28 guns, easily fits through standard doors. I went with the electronic lock on this one and like it better than the dial lock on my smaller safe.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Guns Safes??? - 05/27/09
Originally Posted by duxndogs
My advice would be if you want to store 20 guns buy a safe rated to hold 30, they never seem to hold as many as advertised.
Yep
Posted By: cal74 Re: Guns Safes??? - 05/27/09
Originally Posted by Tom264
My advice would be if you want to store 20 guns buy a safe rated to hold 30, they never seem to hold as many as advertised.
Yep

Yep +1

I just bought a Browning a few months ago and like it and the layout. It's a 28 gun layout I think? But for all practicality you can only get to the front 6-8 with ease. Anything in the back of one side and you have to take everything on that side out.

I wouldn't suggest putting any fire proof safe on any level where it isn't on a concrete slab as if the event of a fire it's going to wind up on the lowest level.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Guns Safes??? - 05/27/09
My advice would be if you want to store 20 guns buy a safe rated to hold 30,
Uh-uh.. Too small.. Find a 40-60 model..

Trust me, but don't ask why... laugh

But with any manufacturer - make sure you obtain one with a very high temp rating and the heavier, the better.. This is one of those things where it does not pay to save money..

Both types of locks are fine. BUT - the electronic can be worked, and the safe opened, MUCH faster than a dial lock.. Consider that when thinking self-defense...
Cant wait to build my New home (it'll be a few yrs yet) I will be getting a vault door that will lead into a 14x14 room in the basement.
Posted By: 340boy Re: Guns Safes??? - 05/27/09
The bigger the safe you own, the more guns you will buy.
I think that is known as the 4th law of thermodynamics??
laugh laugh

As far as safes go, I have had good luck with Heritage Co.
I have one that is a 20 gun and a 60 gun.
I am impressed with the workmanship and the prices are quite competitive.
Posted By: btb375 Re: Guns Safes??? - 05/27/09
+1 on Cannon
Posted By: Popapi Re: Guns Safes??? - 05/27/09
Liberty!
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Guns Safes??? - 05/27/09
As they've said....go bigger than you thought you'd need...you'll be glad.

I have a Liberty and I'm happy with the quality. I didn't research the fire, theft, etc ratings on all, but one factor that will come into play is how close it is and how will you pick it up or will it be delivered. That sold me on the Liberty. The dealer just down the road for me had free delivery. Since I was just across the state line, with delivery I didn't have to pay tax.

If I was doing it again, I'd go bigger, and probably get the electronic lock...it would be a nice time saver.

JCM
Posted By: DSC Re: Guns Safes??? - 05/27/09
Check out SturdySafe.com. By far the best deal for price and quality. Delivered to your door.

Like everyone says: Get the biggest one you can handle.
Posted By: TXDOGDOC Re: Guns Safes??? - 05/27/09
Thanks for all the replies - I am limited by the width of the door going into the closet I am putting it in. The closet is huge so once it is through the door the size doesn't matter. I guess I could knock out part of the wall to get it in but that would for sure lead to a very upset wife:)
Bottom line go for as big as you can get, as heavy as you can get, as as much that fits into your budget.
Thanks again - anyone have Ft. Knox
Posted By: guyandarifle Re: Guns Safes??? - 05/27/09
It's to the point of redundancy but the bigger the better as long as you can afford it and get it where you want it in the house. Now I've got a number of items stashed in there besides my firearms.
Originally Posted by TXDOGDOC

Thanks again - anyone have Ft. Knox
I do! its heavy
Like 1200 lbs IIRC.
Posted By: Lansend Re: Guns Safes??? - 05/27/09
I'm looking at Zanotti Armour for my next gunsafe as it will have to go down some stairs and through some tight doors before it is put together inside its closet.
Posted By: Popapi Re: Guns Safes??? - 05/27/09
Originally Posted by DSC
Check out SturdySafe.com. By far the best deal for price and quality. Delivered to your door.

Like everyone says: Get the biggest one you can handle.
THESE ARE NICE SAFES!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are not the prettiest but do work!!!!
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Guns Safes??? - 05/27/09
I have a Liberty safe, no complaints, but then again, it's never been tested. I am fortunate enough to have a separate building with all my "stuff" in to escape to. The safe is bolted to the slab, and as a friend says, if your safe is bolted to your slab, it's as heavy as the building.
Posted By: NathanL Re: Guns Safes??? - 05/27/09
I own libery safes and like them.

If you need to put them in a closet get a small one now and another small one later (or now). No rule says you have to have them all in one safe.
Posted By: bgold Re: Guns Safes??? - 05/28/09
I might have to give Sturdy Safes a call, as I had never heard of them before.

Thanks for the link.
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Guns Safes??? - 05/28/09
A neighbor of mine traded up in size from a Browning to a Cannon. The Browning has it's hinges on the outside of the box and allows the door to swing completely open 180 degrees. His main complaint about the Cannon was that the hinges are inside and the door only swings about 90 degrees before hitting the box. He was concerned that this may eventually chip or mar up the paint where the two meet. He also missed the door opening wide open and not sticking out into the room. Since you're going into a closet this may not be an issue. He also thought that the inards of the Browning were nicer, I thought so too. I've had a Browning for 20 years with no complaints.

As has been mentioned, go as big as you can, you'll find use for the space.

Try to bolt it down somehow to keep it from being hauled off and/or just tipped over.
Posted By: BlackFrog Re: Guns Safes??? - 05/28/09
Safe ratings for gun storage are like tent ratings for number of people. A six-man tent might work reasonably well for 3-4 people.

Be aware that some of those gun ratings for safes don't work if you have scopes mounted- there isn't enough clearance on some of the holding rails to allow for scopes.

I had an issue of weight to contend with. I didn't trust my older stairs to hold a 1200-1500lb (or more) safe with a dolly and movers, so I had to limit myself to keeping the safe on the main floor. So weight was a concern for me as I had to move the safe from the door across the span of the floor joist to the center beam area of the house.

I layed down two 2x10's side by side for the safe and dolly to roll across to distribute the weight when coming in the front door. My worst fear was having the safe and friends suddenly crash through the floor in to the basement.

Obviously when going with a lighter safe, you are compromising on fire rating. And if someone wants to get into your safe bad enough- they will get in. It is just a matter of time.

I have the Cannon Wide safe made for Cabelas- I got a great deal on it and quite happy with the unit, thinking of buying another. I think it is a nice compromise of weight and fire rating. I'm glad I got the electronic lock.

Safes are like garages- no matter how much room you have, you will fill it up.....
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Guns Safes??? - 05/28/09
For a larger safe look for a used one including old office safes in classifieds and at dealers. I have got a few that way and they were inexpensive and substantial.

Here is a ad I found in FL http://www.bankssafeco.com/new_used_gun_safes.htm

Here is a big old safe of mine that I gave to my son.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: SKane Re: Guns Safes??? - 05/28/09
I'm with the others - buy larger than you need.
Some of my guns have more nicks and scratches from being crowded in the safe than they have marks from hunting. mad
Posted By: BlackFrog Re: Guns Safes??? - 05/28/09
Another thing I found- I think those larger "magic sliders" for moving furniture worked GREAT for sliding my safe around into position!! I used six of them under the safe and could slide it around no problem with one person.

I don't think they would work too well on concrete, but on carpet or wood floor they worked super.
Posted By: Grasshopper Re: Guns Safes??? - 05/28/09
DogDoc,

I have 3 Libertys and I can't tell you how much peace of mind they gave me. As noted before, buy the highest fire rating you can find.

Also, another consideration, is the safes like the Browning, with the outside hinges, All one has to do is pick the door off the hinges and then one can move it in two pieces. Even if a thief chisels off the hinges, he still cannot open the safe. They have dead bolts all around the circumfrance of the door. This would be a consideration on a safe that weighs in excess of 600 lbs.

My buddy has two Heritage safes. ONe weighs 620 lbs, and the other about 800. The lighter one came up out of his basement easily with about 4 guys. But the other one was a royal PITA.

The other reason I would prefer exterior hinges, is that I have bumped numerous of my stocks on the interior hinges. frown Hope you're not like me... I always have to do the wrong thing 2 or 3 times before I learn the right thing... smile

A 1000 lb safe witht he door removed will move about as easily and 600 lb safe. I would assume my Libertys can have the door removed... I'ver never tried it. But I'll know when I move... smile

GH
Posted By: avagadro Re: Guns Safes??? - 05/28/09
we've decided on a Summit Safe.

GH .... is that the move to TX??? I thought you were going to be there a couple years ago??
© 24hourcampfire